• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Marth Counterpicking Discussion *Currently Discussing Pokemon Trainer*

SKy Angel

Smash Apprentice
Sonic speed isn't so much of a big deal, and unless you got a good counter attack before he starts spamming with his speed, and yes I can agree that sonic can be annoying.

Off Subject: ( I enjoy being dressed in white when playing marth. Scares most sonic players who can't stand it. )

Now I'm going to change this subject.

Real fast, HE WAS my classic hero. XD ( Still is. Just more annoying. )

Meh whatever if no on understand what is just said, then just go on. XD

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
ok, IC's now. ill contact IC boards

umm

Ban FD

CP Cruise, Brinstar?

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I do better against SoCal's Marths on Yoshi's Island than on FD. I feel like the platform helps limit his approach options. It might be the case that MikeHAZE and Bardull are just more comfortable with FD than YI, though.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Yoshi's Island is famous for stuffing up Marth's approaches.

ICs are EVIL. BAN THEM. BURN THEM. BURRRRNNNNN.

Against top tier ICs, no stage is safe. Marth is suspectable to all the cgs I believe. Back throw CG on Marth won't have Brinstar saving you.

HOWEVER, NORFAIR WILL.
We can outcamp, out hit, and whatnot on Norfair, it's a pretty stage.
I'd say most ICs would be banning Cruise.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
^Amen to norfair. Short platforms make it harder for them to get the grab. Not only that but I always thought the bthrow cg was harder to do. Anyways, as Shaya said, you can outcamp pretty well. That and balls of fire can come by and save your *** in the middle of a cg.

Ban final D imo. Platforms give you more options to stay in the air. Being in the air means less chance of getting grabbed.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
^Amen to norfair. Short platforms make it harder for them to get the grab. Not only that but I always thought the bthrow cg was harder to do. Anyways, as Shaya said, you can outcamp pretty well. That and balls of fire can come by and save your *** in the middle of a cg.

Ban final D imo. Platforms give you more options to stay in the air. Being in the air means less chance of getting grabbed.
Lol, bthrow cg is cake especially on marth-weights (peach, sheik, kinda luigi). Marth is the base character for learning chaingrabs actually since all of them are easy to do on him. A good IC will probably be able to either A) fthrow bthrow cg you on platforms (you are NOT safe on platforms) or B) just buffer the bthrow dthrow cg so the ICs dont fall thru the platform. Keep in mind this is just general info not pertaining specifically to norfair.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
Hmm..I unno guys, my IC's are pretty gud on Norfair. I has experience playing on there. If you do decide to CP it. STAY UNDER THE ICS. If you let them under you on the bottom platform, they will Utilt/Uair you all day. Also, IC's can do some crazy ledge grabbing mixups on Norfair. I think you should pick it, but be careful.

Doomblaze

Smash Journeyman
Icys will kill you no matter where you are.

I think battlefield can be a decent counterpick because if you get them on the side platforms, the shield delay that nana has can lead to a tipper forward smash on her, which stops chaingrabs handily.

I agree with Shaya that icys would ban rainbow cruise, but if you get above them on norfair, they can hurt you just as badly as you can hurt them, so watch out.

**** you Lain <3

Freezewish

Smash Ace
FD should always be the first stage you ban imo.

Strike SV

Counterpicks: Rainbow Cruise is good since there are so many disruptions on this stage, which can negate CGs to an extent and possibly force IC to gimp themselves with their recovery(same applies for Marth here).

Battlefield is always great. Lylat(depending on preference) is good too.

Brinstar MAY be the best counterpick in this matchup, but like what's already been said no stage is 100% safe if you get grabbed vs IC. Just CP a stage with platforms that you are comfortable on and dont get grabbed =/

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
FRIGATE!!!

Look, Frigate has platforms and the stage flip eliminates chain grabs if they're timed right.

Obviously you can't do anything to completely eliminate the CG. Thing about RC is that if they get a grab on the right platform, one of the IC's can charge and Upsmash and it'll kill you off at low percents. Iono though, it depends on preference.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
I actually do like frigate here a lot as well (in theory anyways). The lack of a right ledge should **** them over pretty hard. You can basically kill at least nana with just one toss over that right border of the stage. Marth also does a good job of controlling some parts of the stage in general.

I too thought RC would be good but apparently Meep strongly disagrees with that and I can't ignore that, but I'd like to know why at least.

As for bans, just FD and SV I guess.

I have very little experience against the ICs so idk.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
Bengalz, dont you USE ICs? This should just be a matter of listing stages that u wish didnt exist when u picked them.

For those who like BF, dont get too happy. I love stages where ppl try to platform camp because the ICs have a wicked awesome uair. They can also just short hop blizz you or squall hammer up onto the platform as a mixup. (at least thats what i do and it works pretty well)

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
lol I just picked up the ICs and im pretty bad with them.

if anything using my experience with them would just make me shoot out worse opinions.

C.box

Smash Journeyman
I like lylat against icies <.< If they grab you at the edge the tilt can screw their chains.. same with yoshis.

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
If I had to ban a stage it would be FD for sure. Just probably the easiest place for them to get CGs off. For CPs I'd have to say lylat, frigate, and norfair. I don't know how well they play on norfair, but I can't imagine better than Marth.

∫unk

Smash Master
yoshis you can do an emergency up b anywhere and be safe from the grab

but i wouldnt really know i just pick metaknight and never leave the platforms (d-air d-air d-air tornado back)

BarDulL

Town Vampire
can't CP a dumb stage against ike because it will hurt marth as well...usually. i would probably go delfino though, because of dtilt infinite as well as easier/safer edge guarding.

dunno where an ike would cp a marth...unless...maybe...

castle siege?!?!?!

Inle~Orichas

Smash Journeyman
I wouldnt CP delfino, because ideally your going to want Ike to be stage spiked or knocked away with counter edge guarding, so I would pick a stage with a solid floor at the very least.

Smashville assists Ike's recovery as well.

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
Also to add to Inle~Orichas, Ike and spike you much easier in the water than you can do to him.

EDIT: From the Counterpicking Made Easy by Meno

Ike
Best: Green Greens, Pirate Ship
Worst: Jungle Japes, Frigate Orpheon, Luigi's Mansion

So with that I'd probably CP Frigate.

C.J.

Smash Master
I would ban either SV or Delfino against Ike (although the one I play against loves Norfair and is annoying as hell to play there). I usually CP frigate because Ike is so much easier to gimp there (not like he wasn't before) and it is much easier for you to keep him off the side than him keeping you off. I also really like Pokemon Stadium 1 in this match. dtilt locks on a couple portions. Slightly annoying ledges for him. You still have a few platforms and they're harder for Ike to use than the ones on BF imo.

clowsui

Smash Legend
for the love of GOD BAN PIRATE SHIP

if you guys want video proof i will link you...but it is horrible and unsightly as to how badly ike ***** people on there. ban yoshi's island melee too if it's legal

clowsui

Smash Legend
did NOT work at alll when i tried it
tho lain got a footstool -> dair (grounded though) b/c infern mistimed his buffer

VietGeek

Smash Hero
lol infinites with buffers, all Shaya's fault.

This game will be so amazing at the high-end levels of play. lol

Top Bottom