• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Marth Counterpicking Discussion *Currently Discussing Pokemon Trainer*

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
um yeah that stuff is sorta outdated lol i main luigi and play just about almost every marth in NY :)

preferably a marth should get a small flat stage imo, because in platforms its like a 50-50 chances of it being in ur favor as in, u pressuring him or vice versa but i think luigi benefits more from platforms since it'll hurt marth being pressure'd and combo'd hard but then again stages like in BF are gaining the upper advantage position so idk.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
It's looking like BF and SV in terms of CPs so far...

I guess Halberd would be a good ban considering Luigi's insane vertical kill power.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
basically anything small where u can zone and stage control correctly will **** luigi

anything big stages will make luigi camp with fireballs/evade with nado and walk away alot and gay baiting so bait that ****

Renegade TX2000

Smash Ace
vs bowser and dk... Lylat cruise nuff said... if they wiff their recovery and your grabbing ledge that stage will 60% screw them over. I did it vs ook's dk... Warriorknights bowser/and sliqs

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
it's just you
Marth pretty much struggles against ANY character that has a projectile on FD. He may have the advantage on certain characters but its definitely his worst neutral.

Against the likes of

Lucario
Toon Link
Snake
King DDD
Falco

and basically any character w a projectile hes pretty crummy there. Look at the list too....most of it has FD banned. The fact that he beats MK on Fd though is really funny. lol.

I definitely prefer SV, BF, YS, and even friggin Lylat over Fd because of the auto tippers in lylat. lol.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
ok moving on.

pit now.

the obvious ban here is FD, tons of room and no platforms make it easy for him to set up camp from afar and rack up damage.

I love BF in this matchup and I actually really like YI here as well.

Iliad

Smash Lord
RC for counter against pit. I know it seems silly given his recovery method, but if you can gimp his jumps off stage (fairly simple) there's alot of open area he needs to fly through, all it would take would be a nudge from a dolphin slash or even a sideB to ruin his upb recovery.

When the stage isn't transitioning, sideB into dtilt lock works wonders against pit, as it out prioritizes most of his spammable moves. As well, forcing him onto the platforms leads to early uair tipper kills.

/consider

C.J.

Smash Master
Personally I'd ban delfino. A lot of Pit's camping is done from the edge so the stage doesn't really matter that much in regards to his camping. Delfino lets him camp just as well, and from more angles, as well as sharking w/ his ridiculous uair.

Sake-Hato

Smash Apprentice
is it just me or why dose it seem half of the cp's we take chars to is rc? aint rc a bad stage for marth?

C.J.

Smash Master
Not really. It's just people who would want to take us there, **** us there, like MK.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
It can't do much In terms of loop arrows on BF he can potentiall scroog on Sv i suppose

As much as halbered isn't good for marth Pit won't be killin gus upward and Pit will die early upward as well so i might think Cping halberd might work.

Yoshis might be helpful

I suppose castle siege
as well

tbh there isn't a stage i wouldn't want to fight pit on other than japes or FD

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Ok, Pit is done. Onto Fox!

BF is definitely my favorite stage here.

Bans are halberd and fd for me.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
wtf? Lylat is a bad stage for everyone but MK and pit

and brinstar on fox? with low ceiling(if i remember) his u smash is going to **** **** **** us

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Yeah, the spacies do particularly poorly on Lylat and it's really a pretty good Marth stage.

Not sure about Brinstar, that's a stage I'll avoid pretty much 100% of the time simply because i don't know it at all.

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
Why would you ban FD against Kirby and counter pick Halberd against Donkey Kong? LOL

Donkey Kong kills marth from uair probably around like 90% on that level.

Kirby does not have a projectile so Marth does not need to get away from projectile crap like he normally would on FD. Marth can easily zone Kirby and make him pay for any approach he has.

I think that mentioning Rainbow Cruise in terms for counter picking other characters is a pretty close to useless idea because any good player will know that you should just pick MK when someone says, "We're going to Rainbow Cruise." Why wouldn't you? That's like saying I'm gonna stay Marth on Rainbow Cruise in Melee when I could just pick Fox because he destroys everyone on that stage just like MK does in Brawl.

Also for Fox:

Counter: FD, Lylat, BF (I say FD because his projectile is not annoying and its easier to get his d throw chain grab off and predict the illusion while edge guarding and punish accordingly much so than other stages IMO)

Ban: Halberd, Frigate (any stage w low ceiling to avoid Usmash uair crap.)

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
Why would you ban FD against Kirby and counter pick Halberd against Donkey Kong? LOL

Donkey Kong kills marth from uair probably around like 90% on that level.

Kirby does not have a projectile so Marth does not need to get away from projectile crap like he normally would on FD. Marth can easily zone Kirby and make him pay for any approach he has.

I think that mentioning Rainbow Cruise in terms for counter picking other characters is a pretty close to useless idea because any good player will know that you should just pick MK when someone says, "We're going to Rainbow Cruise." Why wouldn't you? That's like saying I'm gonna stay Marth on Rainbow Cruise in Melee when I could just pick Fox because he destroys everyone on that stage just like MK does in Brawl.

Also for Fox:

Counter: FD, Lylat, BF (I say FD because his projectile is not annoying and its easier to get his d throw chain grab off and predict the illusion while edge guarding and punish accordingly much so than other stages IMO)

Marth in all honesty beats MK in the air, considering most of RC isn't off stage i don't think it really helps MK when we can just fair him. Also RC for a good portion of it isn't obstructed by GRs although some parts are it allows for GR spikes fairs and upbs (the latter will kill really early in some parts here)

Foxes generally consider Fd a good fox stage, Fox needs you to approuch with no platforms to help you FD aids fox not to mention i garuentee its impossible to PS all of foxes lasers on approuch

If popular opinion states lylat is a good marth stage then i will submit. Although i do suppose that on stage it is a good marth stage. And that agruably marths recovery is fast enough to deal with stage tilting

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
More stage area= less sword in kirby's face. I mean think about it, he has a lot more room to set up his annoying bair pokes, and yes I know we can out range it but giving him the opportunity just makes it all the more frustrating.

But Hablerd against DK IS LOL. Something needs a bit of tuning. Keep Japes as a solid ban for DK.

NEVER cp a projectile character to FD. It's dumb. FD isn't even a Marth stage so why pick it anyway?

I'm biased and I hate FD, oh well.

Marth in all honesty beats MK in the air, considering most of RC isn't off stage i don't think it really helps MK when we can just fair him. Also RC for a good portion of it isn't obstructed by GRs although some parts are it allows for GR spikes fairs and upbs (the latter will kill really early in some parts here)
Say what now? Which Metaknight do you play against?

Edit: I was too busy looking like a troll to even post what I'd CP Fox to.

Personally I use Lylat, Battlefield, and Delfino. I need more matches with Reflex to really prove if it's effective or not.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
What Mks do you play against?

Even P3 had stated RC was good for marth against MK provided you played it inteligently

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Non that are well known mind you, but I play against a couple really good ones. I'm not sure if it's my playstyle or just me getting mind ****ed, but I'm convinced my ground game does better against a metaknight than my aerial game.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
That might work for you but personaly I disagree

if i remember our fair> their fair

our aerial movement> their aerial movment

our uair> his dair

and our dair sucks but it outranges his uair :D

We simply have more airial range and movment then he does in the air

MK however actually equals us in ground range with his ftilt as long as our foward smash and his dtilt

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
However the odds of getting punished are much higher in the air. We lose a lot of options while in the air opposed to the ground.

MKs Aerial movements > Ours

Unless we're planning on canceling our uair, it doesn't matter. Mk is still going to get us with that dair.

<.< and because this is clearly irrelevant to the current discussion I'll just stop with that note.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Guys, we can go back and discuss DK/MK AFTER we finish going through all the characters. I appreciate the input but please just hold your thoughts for now.

And yea, I completely forgot, Delfino is AWESOME here. Picto is good too because of the high ceiling.

Someone mentioned Frigate, anyone else have trouble against Fox there?

M@v

Subarashii!
vs fox:

Cp: Lylat, brinstar, or bf (foxs 2 worst stages vs you, and your powerstage)

Ban: Halberd. Fox's best stage. You are slightly better on phase one, but the fox is going to camp like crazy there, and try to attack you from below with rising fairs and upairs, since thats your weakness. Watch out for the extra low ceiling. Once your on the ship, your in fox's ownage grounds. Low ceiling, flat like FD, and the platform is perfect for fox's aerials.

FD: For obvious reasons. Many foxes might opt to go here because they dont know halberd as I do :).

Ps1: A less common, but still very good, fox stage. Flat parts like FD, and fox has several shine infinites here.

Fox doesn't suck on Frigate, nor is it his best stage. Its average for him. You won't get any major advantage by taking fox there if that is the goal.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Thanks for the input Mav, it's always good to get opinions from the other character.

Moving on to Pokemon Trainer.

Top Bottom