• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Ohio Brawl Power Rankings (11/25/12: NEW RANKINGS UPDATED!)

solecalibur

Smash Master
I think coney is the only true blue d3 main actually lol
fizzle doenst main ****, he plays a huge cast of characters

2-2

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VGMtheVagabond
Fakku, I didn't mean to post that video in here. Anyway, who else but me wasted money on Sonic 4?

2-2

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VGMtheVagabond
Actually, it's not that they're bad (with the exception of 2006, that was horrible), it's that they have bad elements.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Beegs would easily make his way on to the PR if he weren't leaving next month, that is all. He's still got it lol.

solecalibur

Smash Master
Beegs would easily make his way on to the PR if he weren't leaving next month, that is all. He's still got it lol.
he needs to work on a couple mus but holy **** does he steal get it
Im sure if he actually got a ride to Florida tounrys he is gonna be as scary as chaz is

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Anyone going anywhere near NEOH willing to give me a ride? Don't want to Greyhound it again...

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Dear majority of upper echelon Ohio, get your heads out of your @sses like me and take time out of your busy tournament/smashfest infested schedules to teach people about their character matchup vs you if they ask. I do it during friendlies and even sometimes after tournament sets to help my opponent improve against Peach or in general.

This is why the MW is still free, the majority of us still don't help each other improve in the little but important ways as much as the coasts do.

Ditch the unwarranted elitism. Now. You all know who you are.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Dear majority of upper echelon Ohio, get your heads out of your @sses like me and take time out of your busy tournament/smashfest infested schedules to teach people about their character matchup vs you if they ask. I do it during friendlies and even sometimes after tournament sets to help my opponent improve against Peach or in general.

This is why the MW is still free, the majority of us still don't help each other improve in the little but important ways as much as the coasts do.

Ditch the unwarranted elitism. Now. You all know who you are.
This.

I'm a lower level player but I have a reputation among people equal or even worse than me (not as much as before because I've been thirsty to improve and play people better than me lately >_>) for teaching them things. Calebyte and Moose come to mind, as well as Steel Samurai (he and I talked on the phone once about ROB v Marth randomly for 30 mins, lol).

Why do we not want everybody else to improve? As the opponent develops new tactics in order to fight you, you will in turn come to better understand their playstyle/character. It's not just a one-sided relationship. Why is it so important to win in the short run? I don't understand. It's this very kind of mentality that holds us back: we're friendly, but we don't know how to use that friendliness to our advantage.

QUIVO

Smash Master
I don't wanna come off condescending. I always assumed people were annoyed when I gave them tips when I played against or watched them.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I don't wanna come off condescending. I always assumed people were annoyed when I gave them tips when I played against or watched them.
That's why I said "if they ask" lol. Or you could ask "mind if I give you some tips?" or something like that to prevent the potential annoyance.

QUIVO

Smash Master
When you're playing people below your skill level, it's hard imo to give them advice or teach them a MU.

It all comes with experience... Like I always tell moose, watch out for this, don't do this, but sometimes it's ok if you do it as a mixup and condition them to think otherwise. Everything I learned was pretty much wifi and tournaments with the occasional help from other TL mains. Oh and AZ.

I would suggest going to tournies and money matching good players for legit games. If not, ask for friendlies with anyone and don't sandbag. Sandbagging is annoying and isn't fun playing against.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
When you're playing people below your skill level, it's hard imo to give them advice or teach them a MU.

It all comes with experience... Like I always tell moose, watch out for this, don't do this, but sometimes it's ok if you do it as a mixup and condition them to think otherwise. Everything I learned was pretty much wifi and tournaments with the occasional help from other TL mains. Oh and AZ.

I would suggest going to tournies and money matching good players for legit games. If not, ask for friendlies with anyone and don't sandbag. Sandbagging is annoying and isn't fun playing against.
I'm going to agree with Q on this. During the summer I got plenty of help from Q, Moose and co (to the point where I finally sort of have an idea of how to fight TL/Marth/DK/Pika/D3 and some others) and really felt myself improving, though I will admit that it's kinda hard on people who don't have much money to be able to MM against someone for practice (here's looking at you Infern).

Though, I know at least around the columbus scene and people ambiguously around my skill level that we do go out and do friendlies all the time at tournaments when possible. I don't want to call the upper-level players unapproachable, but at least from my experience, it's hard to really get their serious (I don't mean money's on the line serious, though) attention in the tournament environment for some games. At least for me, it's hard to improve when you play the same people and play around the same skill level before running into a top-level player.

Part of ^ is an excuse, because you have to beat who is in front of you anyway, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't frustrating.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
That's fine, but it shouldn't be hard to at least teach them more about fighting your character as you play them. That's why a lot of people in NEOH know how to fight the Peach matchup; especially Beegs, better than any Marth I've encountered (including Mike Haze, he didn't play the matchup, he just outskilled and ***** me).

You're right about most of the common sense stuff being hard to teach to lesser skilled players, but in the end it's matchup knowledge that will make or break a player's chances to win once they've already picked up on the common sense aspects. Just look at M2K himself, lack of Diddy and especially Olimar matchup knowledge is enough to make him crumble against the best players of those characters. That's how much impact matchup knowledge has, and that's something I see Ohio (and the Midwest in general) having a problem passing along.

I basically had to learn to fight all the matchups I know on my own, excluding some of the studying I did on the boards. Now that we're two and a half years into the game, it shouldn't have to be that way anymore. Most of us should be educated enough on the game and on our characters to be able to teach someone else to play as or play against our respective character.

Top Bottom