• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-Up Chart (Outdated); please refer to the new chart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rappster

Smash Ace
I believe that a matchup chart will be untenable because people are not willing to agree on how a matchup chart should be defined.
What is high level play? Best in the world? Best in my region? Mango v Hbox?
What does 70:30 mean? Ratio of matches won to matches lost? Ratio of stocks taken to stocks lost?
Where should matches be counted? Neutral stages? CP stages? Dreamland?
What’s more important? Theory-crafting? Empirical evidence?
I believe that a matchup chart defined similarly to the one I’m posting below would be the best way to create a reasonable, finishable Matchup Chart (though this is not the only way):

“A match up chart is a visual representation of matchups (1) between characters when both characters are played at a high skill level (2) under tournament conditions. Match-ups will be determined primarily by match results (3) and second by general consensus (4) “

(1) A matchup between characters x and y, for the purpose of this chart, will be defined as the ratio of number of stocks taken by character x compared to the stocks taken by character y. It will be scaled so that each number is out of 100. This is identical to the percent chance that character x or y will take the next stock. (If you have this, then you can also determine % chance of one character winning)
(2) "High skill level" should only include players who have placed in the top 8 of a large tournament (100+ entrants) within the past year.
(3) Only a small set of all total matches will be tallied here: recorded NTSC tournament matches, no more than a year old, between qualifying players.
(4) If and only if this data seems overly skewed (e.g. fox-sheik comes out to 70:30 in favor of sheik), then a general consensus can change it.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
matchup chart should be like

on battlefield

how likely is <character> to beat <other character>

TOTAL number of games / 10 or 100 or whatever

not counting 4-stocks, 2-stocks, 1-stocks, etc.

nurgle.

'cuz like

winning by a lot

vs a close game

doesn't matter in bracket/pools/whatever

a win is a win

edit: battlefield, because it should be the only legal stage

idea

Smash Master
+1 for battlefield being the most neutral neutral

and, it might still be worthwhile to distinguish between **** and just winning. like 3 stocks could be considered differently from 2 or less.

i forgot i don't care about this, but i'm going to click submit anyway now that the words are here

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
You guys could have the MBR make a chart based on the collective opinions of top player and finish a MU chart based on that.

Seems like you could get accurate results from that seeing as top level players will be behind it.
NAH cuz we're still waiting for the tier list >.>

john!

Smash Hero
like what? the content of his posts reminds me of the thought process of a 5 year old. i understand his posts but i don't understand the point of them, and this is all trolling aside
"a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing..."

this is known as "stream of consciousness narrative" and has been employed by such literary giants as james joyce and j.d. salinger

all trolling aside

:troll:

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
try telling this to kaostar low tier mains
I really don't even know what u mean by that. im perfectly ok with using KK's definition of a MU.

the problem was, and ive said at least 4 times, that nothing was ever defined. everyone had different interpretations of what those numbers meant. thats why I said stay with the adv system or define what the numbers mean.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I agree with KK, and was thinking the same thing.

Good luck trying to convince everyone using BF as the standard tho
well

you'd need 8 charts (or so)

one per level

but start with battlefield

'cuz like

everyone strikes there

a general chart would be like the average or something of those, or the stages most likely to be picked w/ bans taken into consideration, or something like that

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
I can't believe it. DK's matchup spread looks almost perfect!

Only changes I would say is something like -1 Jiggs with -2 Peach (whatever makes it clear that Peach is worse then Jiggs for DK) and.... -100 Falco.

In all seriousness, Falco should seriously be +3 vs DK. It's just as bad as Sheik vs Pichu.

GOD!

Smash Ace
The people complaining that kaostar
sidetracked the thread have been been
sidetracking the thread for days.

GG

GOD!

Smash Ace
I honestly want some intelligent, good players to post their thoughts on fox vs falco.

Like I know its been gone over a million times by people who aren't that good. But still

None Shall Pass

Smash Apprentice
I've been lurking this thread for quite some time now, and the semantic arguing has given me headaches.

Literally. Directly contribute to the advancing metagame, or get out. There's no point otherwise.

Fox vs. Falco would be nice. I need help with that matchup.

GOD!

Smash Ace
Well there are mini mods like sveet who like acting knowledgeable. They dont contribute.. but the point for them is to act cool and get rep. People like ICG... I just cant read his posts, they dont make sense..

Lovage plays the matchup really well. He barely lost to zhu, did really well against try hard mango, and just doesnt fall for a lot of dumb stuff that good falcos do. He gets grabbed in his shield a lot, but that's better than getting shined. He also SDIs out of combos and stuff, and he looks like hell be able to consistently powershield soon. Falcos, watch out.

I dont really understand the matchup, but I know lovage does some things right.

Rappster

Smash Ace
matchup chart should be like

on battlefield

how likely is <character> to beat <other character>

TOTAL number of games / 10 or 100 or whatever

not counting 4-stocks, 2-stocks, 1-stocks, etc.

nurgle.

'cuz like

winning by a lot

vs a close game

doesn't matter in bracket/pools/whatever

a win is a win

edit: battlefield, because it should be the only legal stage
valid argument. I could live with this definition.
My primary qualm would be that we would have to expand definition of "high-level players" so that there are more eligible matches.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
haha im not a mini-mod. I just say my views. This thread is long dead and has been dead for over 100 pages. The chart is pretty accurate, not to mention match-up values are completely subjective anyways.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Both sides of the m2/zelda debate were trolls. Stfu already. It lost its comedy value literally a year ago.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Both sides of the m2/zelda debate were trolls. Stfu already. It lost its comedy value literally a year ago.
the ****ed up part was that I wasn't even trolling. I believe with all my heart, mind, and soul that m2 has a slight advantage in that MU. I was really only trying to give a more accurate insight into mewtwo's metà game.

@teh icy-+, -, = is too vague tho. u really aren't telling the reader very much at all. imo your advantage system was ****.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Zelda has at least a decent player in Cosmo so she'd be allowed so I don't know what you're complaining about Dark Hart...

Mewtwo has Taj so again he could be included.

My main qualm is characters like Pichu who do not have recent high level representation period. And are generally played by abysmal players that judge the difficulty of matchups off friendlies with people who are much worse than them, or much better than them (but then they say, "Oh I got 4-stocked but it's M2K so I think that I did 20% in a match indicates that Pichu vs Fox is like 6-4 for Fox advantage").

Apparently such a view is discriminatory but I don't see the point in including characters we know nothing about. Their numbers are probably going to be wrong anyway. And I'd rather not just half-*** their numbers or whatever just so the chart would be "complete".

In the MBR when I proposed the matchup chart idea of a tier list construction I fully supported the suggestion to limit the chart to like 12 or so characters. We actually voted the characters into viable / non-viable, where viable characters are basically the top end of mid tier and up. And non-viable is the bottom of mid tier and lower. Granted, I didn't define it to "games won out of <X> on <stage>" but even in ages past I never really cared about having every matchup accounted for.

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
Yeah, but then the fact that it's such a debatable thing kinda made the idea die.

Everyone is ridiculously biased simply by nature of their personal experiences, its unavoidable. Actually getting some sort of consistency is essentially impossible. The most valuable thing to come out of it would probably be the discussion, as, if it was intelligent, it would probably be a very complete and thorough look at any given matchup.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
thats not even true. YS may be the only neutral zelda haas the advantage on. and thats a maybe. low platforms and low sides plus ceiling are good for throw and fair kills. plus on ys m2 has crazy teleport movement

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Yeah, but then the fact that it's such a debatable thing kinda made the idea die.

Everyone is ridiculously biased simply by nature of their personal experiences, its unavoidable. Actually getting some sort of consistency is essentially impossible. The most valuable thing to come out of it would probably be the discussion, as, if it was intelligent, it would probably be a very complete and thorough look at any given matchup.
Of course. Our other methods of making the tier list are purely objective and not at all riddled with ludicrous regional / experience / tournaments results bias.

I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me the point where theory trumps tournament results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom