• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-Up Chart (Outdated); please refer to the new chart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me the point where theory trumps tournament results.
theory doesn't trump tournament results, but if the tier list is supposed to be just based on tournament results, then why does it take an exclusive group of knowledgeable smashers to make it? Anyone who is paying attention to what is happening can look around and see which characters are doing well and which aren't. Why not just decide on how to numerically weigh tournament placings and run the numbers every so often?

I guess you might say that a theory-based one isn't worth the effort to make since it doesn't reflect what actually happens, but it just seems to me like "what actually happens" is pretty obvious to interpret, and it doesn't take a list created by the smash authorities to summarize.

Two lists seems ideal - one primarily based on tournament results, and one primarily based on theory.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
In theory, if the players who were actually good played low tiers, and everyone else played top tiers, tournament results would be drastically different (in terms of character placing). But I don't know if we want to go there.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
theory doesn't trump tournament results, but if the tier list is supposed to be just based on tournament results, then why does it take an exclusive group of knowledgeable smashers to make it? Anyone who is paying attention to what is happening can look around and see which characters are doing well and which aren't. Why not just decide on how to numerically weigh tournament placings and run the numbers every so often?

I guess you might say that a theory-based one isn't worth the effort to make since it doesn't reflect what actually happens, but it just seems to me like "what actually happens" is pretty obvious to interpret, and it doesn't take a list created by the smash authorities to summarize.

Two lists seems ideal - one primarily based on tournament results, and one primarily based on theory.
But it is clear that the current list (even the placebo list) were not based purely off tournament results.

Other than Puff moving up, Marth moving down, and Ganon > Samus (iirc) the list didn't really reflect stuff happening in the environment.

In the early stages of the new list (2009ish) there was also huge resistance in the MBR to moving Marth down at all, especially by old people, even when Marth wasn't winning. Moving Puff up at all was also akin to pulling teeth even when Hungrybox and Mango won everything.

I have therefore (perhaps wrongly) concluded that tournament results are not the only factor taken into consideration with these lists. At some point, theory (or something else) has to be taken into account. Or else these lists don't make any sense.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
imo FD is the only stage where M2 has an advantage, but I mean you're not going to listen to my reasoning anyway KAO so I'm not gonna bother.
ur blindly saying FD because of how taj loves that stage. fd is god vs spacies because of the combo control. mewtwo can do upthrow shenanigans from 0. its nice vs fast characters because it limits their approaches to head on attacks.

vs floaties and biggies. m2 has the advantage from below. zelda on a platform is nair food. mewtwo doesn't have trouble escaping platforms but is good at getting that shield poke when the roles are reversed.

if mewtwo has the advantage vs zelda on FD he has it on all neutrals except maybe YS. the reason behind that is the lack of space on the center platform and short sides. but the short ceiling and extra teleport mobility may be enough to nullify zelda's bonuses from that stage.

ill listen darkhart but im sure your reasons aren't even consistent with what u just said.

zelda gains very little from having platforms vs mewtwo. yet mewtwo gains a decent portion of stage control.

sooo mewtwo probably does better vs zelda on BF, FoD, DL, PS(flat portions) than FD. imo YS isn't a problem but zelda could have a slight adv.

kongo is m2, rainbow and brinstar are zelda.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
ur blindly saying FD because of how taj loves that stage.

ill listen darkhart but im sure your reasons aren't even consistent with what u just said.

zelda gains very little from having platforms vs mewtwo. yet mewtwo gains a decent portion of stage control.
1. idgaf what stage Taj loves, buddy. imo FD is just a bad stage for Zelda in general because...
2. I think Zelda gains a whole lot from platforms, maybe it's just me :glare:

but with the whole of that post you already proved to me that you wouldn't listen to what I had to say, so I say **** it

rhan

Smash Hero
Every character can benefit greatly from platforms.

I definitely think Mewtwo benefits more from them then Zelda..

GOD!

Smash Ace
Actually if you use well spaced forward b's, zelda can control space really well on fd, shutting down multiple options and ****** m2's movement.
fuhken scrubs. Get with it.

Rappster

Smash Ace
Zelda has at least a decent player in Cosmo so she'd be allowed so I don't know what you're complaining about Dark Hart...

Mewtwo has Taj so again he could be included.

My main qualm is characters like Pichu who do not have recent high level representation period. And are generally played by abysmal players that judge the difficulty of matchups off friendlies with people who are much worse than them, or much better than them (but then they say, "Oh I got 4-stocked but it's M2K so I think that I did 20% in a match indicates that Pichu vs Fox is like 6-4 for Fox advantage").

Apparently such a view is discriminatory but I don't see the point in including characters we know nothing about. Their numbers are probably going to be wrong anyway. And I'd rather not just half-*** their numbers or whatever just so the chart would be "complete".

In the MBR when I proposed the matchup chart idea of a tier list construction I fully supported the suggestion to limit the chart to like 12 or so characters. We actually voted the characters into viable / non-viable, where viable characters are basically the top end of mid tier and up. And non-viable is the bottom of mid tier and lower. Granted, I didn't define it to "games won out of <X> on <stage>" but even in ages past I never really cared about having every matchup accounted for.
I have a scholarship to apply for tonight, but i have begun making a matchup chart considering only tournament matches played in the past year between players who took top 8 in rom 3, Apex 2010 and Pound 4.

i'm halfway done wit rom 3, i'll get it all done by Christmas.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
Every character can benefit greatly from platforms.

I definitely think Mewtwo benefits more from them then Zelda..
true, but in the match up of M2 vs the lovely princess that's not peach, my experience with it at least, she really need platforms to help her move around in a way to keep up with M2 superior mobility. On FD she's wide open and KAO's noncharged shadowball theory actually works to a certain extent because of that.

Actually if you use well spaced forward b's, zelda can control space really well on fd, shutting down multiple options and ****** m2's movement.
fuhken scrubs. Get with it.
... obvious troll is obvious?

lol

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
true, but in the match up of M2 vs the lovely princess that's not peach, my experience with it at least, she really need platforms to help her move around in a way to keep up with M2 superior mobility. On FD she's wide open and KAO's noncharged shadowball theory actually works to a certain extent because of that.

... obvious troll is obvious?

lol
lmao@ MY SHADOW BALL THEORY. its really just how u play that MU. its a proven tactic, not mumbo jumbo. the theory behind it makes prefect sense. it works on much more than FD. if zelda stays grounded its just like fd. if she goes on a platform, she gives up all stage control. there is a proper way to handle shielding the sb and nayru's love.

but yea, characters can gain alot through use of platform movement. but like rhan said, m2 gains alot more than zelda with platforms. so if m2 has the slight advantage on FD. he has a slightly larger one on other stages. he just has more stage control. if u get zelda above u then u have a definitive advantage. m2 just happens to have a solid ground to air game so its pretty easy to do.

mewtwo doesn't **** zelda or anything, just a patient mewtwo can successfully avoid kicks while still getting inside. its just a defend my castle kinda MU.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
im just playing my role as official sidetracker of this thread. I don't want any important discussion to flourish.

so im redirecting our current progress back to the biggest blemish of this thread. m2 4 lyfe!

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
My join date is superior to yours, I'm pretty sure my opinion is more valid. Zelda has a distinct advantage as she only has to hit mewtwo four or fives times max. He does not have the mobility to get inside or maneuver past Zelda's kicks. Din's fire pressure forces him to approach within kick range.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
KAO, your sole argument has been, "You're wrong, because what I said was right."

Argument over.
u act as if I didn't tell u why I think ur wrong.

I just have been over this alot lol. if u think I said something false (no jokes please lol) what is it? all ur statements were very general. u didn't provide any reasoning. so its hard to say anything other than ...its more like this.

TML-lol. yea **** join date.

S l o X

Smash Champion
Do spacies really have more of an advantage over Falcon than Sheik does?

I'd think Falcon players would much rather play spacies than Sheiks.

> me not putting anything of value in a post and sort of asking why spaces are better against falcon then sheik.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
u act as if I didn't tell u why I think ur wrong.

I just have been over this alot lol. if u think I said something false (no jokes please lol) what is it? all ur statements were very general. u didn't provide any reasoning. so its hard to say anything other than ...its more like this.

TML-lol. yea **** join date.
In the past, we've tried to explain to you why Zelda > M2

You always say.

"You didn't prove anything/You're wrong/My point still stands/wahwahm2wah"

No matter what. Nothing that I or TML or anyone else has ever posted has ever made any impression on you other than, "lololol M2 beats Zelda, you guys aren't reading what I'm typing lololol."

It just always comes down too, "You're wrong because I'm right so M2 > Zelda :awesome:"

So like I said, I'm done debating that with you.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
all u have said is m2 is big. zelda kicks him. shadow balls are slow, ineffective, and can't be used to approach....that ain't falco.

thats been the entire zelda argument.

otg

Smash Master
Kao, you've stated that M2 does better on platforms, but never explicitly why. You've also never stated how m2 gets inside, what he does ONCE he gets inside to combo her, how shadowballs help (seriously, please explain this to me) and what she can do to counter them and as a result what m2 can do to counter that etc. etc.

Mana, you're ******** if you think that Din's Fire pressure actually exists at all. Tho I do agree that Zelda probably wins, and its in large part to her only needing to hit m2 like 4 or 5 times.

also, in general Zelda does solidly vs. Floaties, and since m2 is easily one of the worst floaties in the game, I'm curious as to how he somehow wins this matchup.

idea

Smash Master
Do spacies really have more of an advantage over Falcon than Sheik does?

I'd think Falcon players would much rather play spacies than Sheiks.

> me not putting anything of value in a post and sort of asking why spaces are better against falcon then sheik.
falcon mains said so. *shrug* their posts made sense too. the gist of it was that falcon can camp sheik back but spacies can destroy him easily with rushdown.

rhan

Smash Hero
How about we all just have a clear vote on which is better starting from this point now without giving long explanations that no one gives a crap about.

Voting ends next Friday.

Ready guys?

Mewtwo > Zelda.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
all u have said is m2 is big. zelda kicks him. shadow balls are slow, ineffective, and can't be used to approach....that ain't falco.

thats been the entire zelda argument.
i have little input and knowledge on the matchup but i don't see how mewtwo beats zelda anyway, you need to present a more convincing argument with some data or theorizing first

all i've seen the past few pages (and probably most of the thread) concerning the matchup is a stagnant discussion with people calling each other out and trying to use the logic of "you're wrong so this is right" without anybody actually putting down some hard, direct argument to their ideas

if you really want mewtwo to have the advantage on this chart, i suggest you prove how much you care by making a long *** ****ing post about the matchup and seeing what other people think about it cause we can't read your mind bro.

p.s. even if that was the entire argument...mewtwo IS fat, zelda DOES kick him, shadow balls ARE slow and sometimes ineffective, and that ain't falco

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
i have little input and knowledge on the matchup but i don't see how mewtwo beats zelda anyway, you need to present a more convincing argument with some data or theorizing first

all i've seen the past few pages (and probably most of the thread) concerning the matchup is a stagnant discussion with people calling each other out and trying to use the logic of "you're wrong so this is right" without anybody actually putting down some hard, direct argument to their ideas

if you really want mewtwo to have the advantage on this chart, i suggest you prove how much you care by making a long *** ****ing post about the matchup and seeing what other people think about it cause we can't read your mind bro.

p.s. even if that was the entire argument...mewtwo IS fat, zelda DOES kick him, shadow balls ARE slow and sometimes ineffective, and that ain't falco
I have done this MU write up probably about 4 times now. I have answered with MU details several times. I was just avoiding doing it again.

I even went as far as placing the entire M2 vs Zelda debate into this group. http://www.smashboards.com/group.php?groupid=2232

not to mention....M2 has the advantage on the chart. It was changed a long time ago. The other mewtwo players agreed pretty unanimously that m2 had the advantage lol, as did umbreon who at one time main mewtwo and zelda at a high level. none of the top zeldas had anything to say on the matter.
Kao, you've stated that M2 does better on platforms, but never explicitly why.
M2 has excellent vertical range. Uptilt, dj-c Uair both are good at keep pressure on the bottom of ppls shields while they are on a platform. M2s nair is amazing shield pressure from below and really good at shield poking. If u do it correctly you can even follow up your nairdirectly into a falling uair. Both uptilt, and uair beat zeldas dair. Point being that from above she cant really defend herself and thats why its a bad position for her to be in. Compare that to falcos dair or falcons stomp. M2 doesnt really have an adv on them from below for that reason.

Zelda being slow and floaty and having alot of startup frames on her teleport will have a bit of trouble getting down without taking damage. If she jumps oos she is still above m2 and there is a solid chance she will get hit with a uair.

around 160% uair is a kill move on spacies. so its respectable vs floaties when u sweet spot it. you will want to avoid being knocked up into the air where u are at a disadvantage due to being floaty and being completely out ranged from below.
You've also never stated how m2 gets inside, what he does ONCE he gets inside to combo her
You attack as zelda is landing. Commonly zelda players sh double bair. When the 2nd bair comes out you WD in with a d tilt, ftilt, grab. Its possibly to use djc fair, or nair but they are risky options and wont always go in your favor. At higher percents u can use a ftilt to trick DI because with bad DI and sweet spot its gonna send zelda at a low angle and it hits pretty hard. The reason this works is because the proper DI for dtilt is either CC or DI away. Both of those are bad DI for the ftilt. If u DI the dtilt poorly you get fair>uair. if u DI the Di correctly u get fair>uair or nair>attempted followup.

CC dtilt isnt too great for zelda because she doesnt have the grab range or the grab speed to beat spaced dtilt spam. M2 has IASA frames on his dtilt and can shield b4 I lightning kick comes out.

I know m2 can out cc sheik in a tilt war so Im making an assumption that his dtilt would beat zeldas cc dtilt. Im pretty sure it has more range anyway.

To reiterate, M2 uses his same standard combos that he uses on everyone else. WD dtilt>fair, WD grab>dtilt, fair. WD dtilt>nair> sb, WD grab>dtilt>nair>sb If zelda is CC you can ftilt to knock her down and tech chase(she will miss that tech anyway so u just follow up with djc fair or dtilt into fair.)

The sb at the end of the combo isnt guaranteed but it works decently. Also when I say grab its an assumed dthrow. and lets not forget that getting that grab turns into upthrow kills. FD as early as 92 and as late as 101 if they are fresh.
how shadowballs help (seriously, please explain this to me) and what she can do to counter them and as a result what m2 can do to counter that etc. etc.
Shadow balls are not an unstoppable force of plasma matter. They are just there to help control space. Zelda isnt a fox, falco, or a captain falcon kinda character....so running around them and jumping over them isnt really an option.

Mewtwo is basically just waiting for zelda's reaction to the shadow ball. her options are as follows:

-powershield
-nayrus love
-sidestep,roll, Dj over
-shield
-get hit

A decent option. Doesnt hurt m2 as much because powershielded projectiles have 1/2ed damage and knock back. but it would be the best option for zelda. Its not easy tho, shadowballs do not travel the same path, they oscillate and the speed varies. You cant reliably powershield them as well as a falco laser.

too much cool down. in that case m2 can just teleport and grab the ending of naryrus love. Its a terrible counter to spammed projectiles. M2 doesnt throw them from far range because he cant follow them from such a distance. always mid to close. aka a dash+WD away.

Rolling doesnt solve the problem. it just gives u worse stage position.(if u roll away). the Shadowball is still gonna hit u lol and ur closer to the edge. U might be able to roll inside and **** m2 up if he isnt expecting it. but you should be able to nair or grab on reaction. Double jumping puts u well above m2 and u will get uair or nair almost for sure. Hopping up to a platform puts you in the same position I previously described.

sometimes its just a good idea to shield them. If I approach with d tilt then there is a chance u wont take any damage and we will just reset positions. If I approach with grab then u just got grabbed. It is possible for m2 to use dtilts and djc fair on zeldas shield without worrying about getting shield grabbed due to her slow grab.

if you get hit, then I can just grab or dtilt. Its would I would have been doing anyway so its not like I have to react to anything.

M2 can get inside without using sbs but they just give m2 a little more control over the situation.
Mana, you're ******** if you think that Din's Fire pressure actually exists at all. Tho I do agree that Zelda probably wins, and its in large part to her only needing to hit m2 like 4 or 5 times.
He is just messin around. Im pretty sure he doesnt actually believe it.
also, in general Zelda does solidly vs. Floaties, and since m2 is easily one of the worst floaties in the game, I'm curious as to how he somehow wins this matchup.
M2 is just ground based. his approach is WD into dtilt spam. zelda ***** most floaties when they attempt to jump at her for an attack. He happens to have a consistent combo game that starts from the ground and goes up vs floaty characters. his grab also is a kill move and combos into fair/uair which can kill.

I cant really answer this question as well because I dont know the specifics of say luigi vs zelda or samus vs zelda. M2 jus has a ground game, usable combos, kill moves out of grab and a decent grab/speed range.

Zelda doesnt really have an solid approach. M2 isnt limited by the stage underneath him. If zelda pushes him to the edge he can just teleport back to the center to regain stage control or use a dj bair and rise above zelda. some of the things that zelda has going for her dont completely apply in this MU. like m2 will rarely approach her from the air. His ground based attack is pretty safe vs zelda since he shouldnt get shield grabbed and he has enough time to shield a kick oos.

Ive actually answered all of these questions b4. more than once. I hope this helps a little if not then maybe I didnt a bad job trying to explain it. But Im not claiming there is a **** taking place. Only that on the very simplest of levels. M2 can avoid getting kicked, while still dealing damage to zelda and subsequently getting a kill. Its only a slight advantage. Zelda makes it close because she does only have to hit m2 a few times for a stock. But she honestly will not have an easy time getting those kicks off when the MU is played correctly. M2 controls the tempo of the MU and can regain stage control at will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom