• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~ Zelda Q & A / FAQs / Directory ~

goodkid

Smash Lord
. Now I should definitely find some way to practice against Marth . . .
Marth isn't so bad once u learn the match-up. I actually enjoy Marth games, because all you have to do is stay out of sword range...easier said than done, but play defensive, don't approach because he has more range. Dash attack Oos when he fairs you, & what I do is predict a fair, walk away just out of range, & just kick to the face :lick: Oos kicks work well too

*** If u haven't already, go play some ladder matches on allisbrawl.com. Its a great site & the competition is pretty good as well, I've fought HolyKnightmare, Anther, Atomsk, & lots of good MKs & other great players. Just remember that its online though, I get frustrated when I know I can beat the person, but mess up cause of lag :psycho:

stealth3654

Smash Lord
I was wondering if you guys think it would be a good idea to start a community walk through of Zelda's moves. The Sheik boards have already started one here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=219349, so I though Zelda should have one too :).

If there is already one, I didn't see it :ohwell:. But if there isn't, then we should definitely start one.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
There was one that we did a few months ago.......you should be able to find it if you search hard enough.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Dtilt, away.....iirc you SDI up out of her usmash I could be wrong though.

stealth3654

Smash Lord
Is there any specific thread where I should post if I want my Zelda critiqued, or should I just make a new thread?

stealth3654

Smash Lord
Could someone please critique my Zelda? The videos are in the video sticky on the last page.

Thanks

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Red Bandit I'll try and beat you to it... xD the only problem is I can't send brawl+ videos over to someone who can capture them, as they will just desync =(

Ochobobo

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1075-1052-5472
I'm trying to practice with Sheik now. Is there something that compares her matchups to Zelda's? I'm trying to determine which characters are disadvantages/advantages to which. I've seen a few similar posts on the Sheik forums, but they don't seem to be a good side by side comparison (from what I've seen). http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=174741 is pretty good, but I'd like to see how Sheik compares to Zelda for each character, not how Sheik compares to the recommended matchup.

edit: Never mind, lolol

sasook

Smash Champion
Hello Zelda mains, I was thinking of learning Zelda, but I see there are 2 video archives (one not stickied) on the first page, as well as the 2 sticky guides and one not, also on the first page. So, in short, I'm not sure where to start reading. Is there a thread that collectively lists all the topics a total beginner Zelda should see? Like a resource center or something? If not, could someone recommend what to view first or direct me to the best thread to start at? Thanks for your time.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Yeah it can be a bit confusing. Basically S2's stickied guide is a tad outdated, and Sinking's has a lot of really advanced techniques but doesn't really cover a lot of the basics. Just browse through and you'll dig up some bits and bobs here and there.

I would suggest looking at the stickied video thread here. You can learn a lot through observation =D

There's the research thread here but it's all a bit experimental. But it has a lot of useful info on dtilt, which is arguably her best move when you play the stock right. There's also stuff about her knockback and frame data so that could be useful.

Also... we all ditto each other (and play against secondaries) quite regularly so if you ever want to ditto any of us just make a post here and you're good to go ^^

EDIT:: I can't believe I forgot this one! http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=206557 This is the community centre that has links to some of the notable threads on this board.

sasook

Smash Champion
Yeah it can be a bit confusing. Basically S2's stickied guide is a tad outdated, and Sinking's has a lot of really advanced techniques but doesn't really cover a lot of the basics. Just browse through and you'll dig up some bits and bobs here and there.

I would suggest looking at the stickied video thread here. You can learn a lot through observation =D

There's the research thread here but it's all a bit experimental. But it has a lot of useful info on dtilt, which is arguably her best move when you play the stock right. There's also stuff about her knockback and frame data so that could be useful.

Also... we all ditto each other (and play against secondaries) quite regularly so if you ever want to ditto any of us just make a post here and you're good to go ^^

EDIT:: I can't believe I forgot this one! http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=206557 This is the community centre that has links to some of the notable threads on this board.
Oh thank you! This is definitely useful, especially that edit.

@Red Bandit - I was actually referring to this:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=178677

I know it's old, but it's all new to a new Zelda.

And, should I wait a while before looking at this? It sounds advanced.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=155351

Ochobobo

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1075-1052-5472
Oh thank you! This is definitely useful, especially that edit.

@Red Bandit - I was actually referring to this:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=178677

I know it's old, but it's all new to a new Zelda.

And, should I wait a while before looking at this? It sounds advanced.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=155351
Ooh, I remember that video thread. It had a nice title, lol. It may be old, but the videos on it are definitely still relevant. The stickied one is just better organized in my opinion.

And about that Farore's Wind thread, you should really try to learn all you can. Try not to limit yourself, lol. Reading the thread now should help you. If there's something on it you don't understand just ask.

Yeah there are some advanced techniques on that thread, but you can go at your own pace and practice those whenever. (Could even be now if you like lol)

Ochobobo

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1075-1052-5472
Should still help someone new to Zelda, I meant.

But yeah, the stickied thread has newer, more relevant videos. lol

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Hey Zeldas. What's this about Zelda not having an approach and an Ike Fsmashing a shield dash attack?

MrEh

Smash Hero
Hey Zeldas. What's this about Zelda not having an approach
Depends on the character.

and an Ike Fsmashing a shield dash attack?
Ike can't do that. The Fsmash is too slow by like, 8 frames or something. Throw in shield drop, and it's not even viable.

Ike can do it to Jigglypuff's Fsmash though. lol

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I got one weird question for ya guys...

If you break someones shield at like 45%; what do you do, as Zelda?

Dtilt lock, eh? Or some string?

MrEh

Smash Hero
I got one weird question for ya guys...

Dtilt lock, eh? Or some string?
It's character dependent. If you can lock them, then you should probably lock them.

Otherwise, you should probably taunt.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord

Lightning kick. That´s all Zelda needs.

But more seriously though, D-tilt lock is one possibility. If they´re light and near the edge (45% = killing percents) then kick or charged smash.

Of course you can also use something like Nair if you think that works as a mindgame (lolwut?) or are confident that you can get a good pressure on them from it.

IrisKong

Smash Lord
TOTAL NOOB QUESTION!!!

I know its on here but im lazy/confused and cant find it so if someone would be so kind and give me a link to a thread with zeldas best levels/counter picks for other characters, I cant find one

Ochobobo

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1075-1052-5472
TOTAL NOOB QUESTION!!!

I know its on here but im lazy/confused and cant find it so if someone would be so kind and give me a link to a thread with zeldas best levels/counter picks for other characters, I cant find one
I think you want this thread http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=204964

Edit: For counterpicks, check out http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=187501 to see Zelda's best stages and everyone else's worsts.

It would be nice if we had one just dedicated to Zelda's stage counterpicks against specific characters though. Not sure if there's already one. . .

Edit 2: lol this one looks pretty good too http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=6146384&postcount=202

MeLL0W

Smash Apprentice
I have a question.

My friend C Spyker sent me a replay of Zelda sticking her Din's fire hit box in mid air on Green Greens stage. It was like after it blew up the hitbox for some reason froze in midair and everytime you passed through it you would get hit by the Din's hitbox.

Can someone tell me about this and why it occurs? Please and thank you. =)

Ochobobo

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1075-1052-5472
It's not a Zelda-only thing, it seems to happen with any character. I think the hitboxes are from those exploding blocks, not Din's.

I'm still not sure what causes this though, or if anyone is. As far as I know, it's random.

kirbywizard

Smash Hero
3DS FC
0989-1847-5768
I may just be rambling but are zelda's smashes a little off in hit box, I mean I just cant get used to the way zelda fights. I find it strange when I fight her. Smashes seem to just be off times and such. Its just me most likely

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Yep, I don't really know it myself but I think her Fsmash has a final hit that extends out and strikes a lot of hurtboxes leaning towards her at a strangely good distance. I've hit an Ike before as he doing an ftilt and I wasn't anywhere near him in the slightest. Also, notice she leans back then forward... this is a life-saver for me, I've been caught in so many situations (like zelda dittos), where this leaning back has allowed me (and others) to miss hitboxes and strike back the opponent's hurtbox as they lean forward themselves.

Her Dsmash/Ftilt and other disjoints can do this too, but not the same extent her Fsmash can I believe.

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
I remember hearing something about being able to do a sort of running dtilt. Anyone remember where so I can go see if I find it useful?

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
Sorry for double post, but I have a new question.

Zelda has two glide tosses correct? One goes very far and the other is just o.k.

Does anyone know how to consistently do one or other. I tend to get one of them seemingly at random and it would help me against certain characters (diddy) if I could consistently do whichever glide toss I wanted.

sniperworm

Smash Ace
Glide toss length is based on timing (see quote below).

What Gives a Glide Toss Its Length
After some massive re-thinking on this, I've come to the following conclusions:
1.) Amount of momentum built up from the roll's IASA frames has the largest effect on distance. This is why throwing the item at the last possible moment (i.e., the "sweetspot frame") gives the longest Glide Toss.
2.) Traction is another main factor in distance. The main evidence of it not being the primary factor is Luigi not having 6+ Glide Tosses all around.
3.) Some characters gain/lose distance when throwing backwards. For instance, Pikachu loses momentum from throwing backwards, and Luigi gains a huge amount.
4.) Rolling speed plays a very small part, however its role seems to be negligable at best.
Here's the original thread:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=172861

Top Bottom