• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~ Zelda Q & A / FAQs / Directory ~

Bandit

Smash Lord
Yeah, even the top players are probably not too aware of Zelda since she is so scarce, so for now, I figure the "secret" is safe :)

MrEh

Smash Hero
Am I the only one who has discovered that you can tech Zelda's dsmash and end up right in front of her?
Zelda dittos will never be the same.

One Zelda uses her Dsmash, the other Zelda techs and counters with her Dsmash.

And thus, the stupid cycle begins. ><

Ich Bin Awesome

Smash Journeyman
Do you guys have a xat chat? I'm trying to make a universal xat room that is tabbed to all individual character xats with each main owner becoming an owner in this room as well.

To do it the main owner has to tab xat.com/Wifi_Room
(Go to "Edit your Chat", type in Wifi_Room, click get, select it, OK)

So far the Link, Mario, Pit, and Pikachu xats are connected.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I didn't find the "D-tilt thread", so I'll ask here:
Could Zelda's Dtilt possible have the most IASA-frames in the entire game?
It's sick; like almost a whole second.

Not important at all.. Pretty cool though..

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Nair is probably her best approach... which is a shame because outside of stuff like her shield, she doesn't have any other good approaches.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
I've been doing that more and more on the rare occasions I come across a zelda since dsmash is pretty much the only "god **** you're screwed" move she has against ike and teching it is just kind of an affirmation that I'm the juggernaut, *****.

Ich Bin Awesome

Smash Journeyman
Hey everyone-

I'm trying to get a "brawl lobby" set up that connects all the xat chats so people can chat or find matches or w/e (or you can go to it directly at www.xat.com/Wifi_Room No signup or registration is needed). So far 16 xats have the room tabbed in their chats. See this thread for the details:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=218563

Check it out even if you guys don't want or have a xat. If your boards have an "important links" thread, it would be appreciated if the above thread and site were added. It's might be at least useful for those that want to locate the individual character xats.

Thanks.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
I have a question

Is it possible to NL jump while you aren't tumbling? I can only seem to do it when I am tumbling =\

lil cj

Smash Lord
Is Zelda an MK counter?
Jus wondering because I faced this really good MK
and lost with all my other characters except Zelda
The match was difficult but I still won...ftilt, dsmash, and fsmash really helped me in this match

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
Is Zelda an MK counter?
Jus wondering because I faced this really good MK
and lost with all my other characters except Zelda
The match was difficult but I still won...ftilt, dsmash, and fsmash really helped me in this match
No, but from experience Meta's unfamiliar with Zelda will have a difficult time compared to most other characters. Once they get used to Zelda though its just as tough...

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
HEY!!!!!!

If I get hit by the first hit of Snakes Neutral Air, which way should I try to DI out of it? Is it even possible to DI out of?

Thanks!

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Hiii. I'm new to Zelda.... I picked her up about 2 weeks ago, and I have a few questions for you guys.

Firstly, the matchup guide says Zelda vs. DDD is 60:40 (iirc), but I played a very good DDD last night and could only win on stages with lots of platforms. Am I doing something wrong?

The main problems I had were that I got shieldgrabbed a LOT (DDD's large shield + nothing but the sweetspotted lightning kick outranging him that I could think of), and I had no idea how to return to the stage against him on flat stages like FD and, to a lesser extent, Smashville. He spaced himself so that if I rolled, I got tilted; if I get-up attacked or just got up, I got grabbed and thrown back off-stage; if I airdodged onto the stage, he'd punish the airdodge.

Help, please?

Also, could anyone give me a little more info on the Zelda vs. ROB matchup? I main Pikachu and plan on picking up Snake for most of my bad matchups, but neither of them can handle ROB very easily. I might try using Zelda on the robot.

Thanks in advance. :) Zelda is too fun.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Hiya!

Well basically... against DDD, don't be afraid to counter camp. Din's can put a lot of pressure on him. Don't solely rely on din's, but your intention is to force his approach and get him to abuse that Ftilt - as it's the only move that outranges Zelda on the ground... and it's predictable and punishable once you learn about. Spotdodge > hyphen USmash, or spotdodge > whatever can work well.

He's got a good shield - condition him to use this. That way, if he's hiding in that shield you can grab him yourself. Zelda's grab range is the 3rd best non tether one, so use it to disrupt him.

Just space Fsmashes against him, and learn the dtilt > buffered Bair combo as it kills him QUICK. The bair sweetspots everyime he trips and he cannot escape it. Though if he becomes dizzy you can sweetspot with either buffered Fair or Bair but he can place that fat shield up so abuse it rarely. Either way, start doing this all around 80% near the ledge and he's gone.

This is tricky to pull off, so if you can't set up for this sort of kill, begin punishing recovery! Dair, Uair, Lightning kicks, each serve a purpose at every point in his recovery. You'll learn to fight Dedede all in good time... he's tricky, but get your spacing down with Zelda and you're sorted ;D

EDIT:: I just realised this info might not be all that helpful and is just generic. I suppose every little helps!

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Hehe, every little bit does help. I'll try all this out the next time I play a DDD (or any character, yeah?).

What about the Zelda/ROB matchup? Is it favorable or unfavorable? He's a soft counter to both of my other characters, so I'm hoping she can handle him.

Scott!

Smash Lord
The Zelda boards have Zelda ROB as 55:45 to Zelda's favor. I don't know all the details of the discussion, but it might be worth it for you to search through that thread to find the part about ROB. But from how things sound for you, Zelda's your best bet with ROB.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Oops, somehow I completely missed that matchup thread..... I only saw the stickied one.

Muchas gracias.

Ochobobo

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1075-1052-5472
Probably a stupid question, but are there any methods or techniques for a safe transformation to Sheik/Zelda? Say you're stuck in a match as Zelda against GW and you want to transform into Sheik as soon as possible. If you do it immediately GW could run up to you and attack as you emerge from the shining light.

I know it would be best to do it when the opponent is preoccupied, perhaps with trying to get back on the stage. I'm wondering if there's a way to do it before then.

I'm looking for methods for transformations to and from both characters, if there are any differences in techniques. Thanks lol

mikekleman

Smash Cadet
Probably a stupid question, but are there any methods or techniques for a safe transformation to Sheik/Zelda? Say you're stuck in a match as Zelda against GW and you want to transform into Sheik as soon as possible. If you do it immediately GW could run up to you and attack as you emerge from the shining light.

I know it would be best to do it when the opponent is preoccupied, perhaps with trying to get back on the stage. I'm wondering if there's a way to do it before then.

I'm looking for methods for transformations to and from both characters, if there are any differences in techniques. Thanks lol
what i usually do is when i get killed, i drop then transform right away. it sounds weird but you keep all of your invincibility frames from the respawn and it carries AFTER you transform. loger inv. plus transformation. without dying, i would recommend learning rising transformation. it is always good to space yourself as well. teleport randomly to confuse, then when you are far away from him, teleport and hit down right away to stay in place. that might give you the time you need

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Look for stage quirks as well. On japes for example, transforming is easy at any time when you are on the right side of the stage. Simply jump off. transform, fall in the water, recover.

On more neutral stages just knock them away and then transform (easier said than done), or use the boost/rising transform, which is mentioned in some guides I believe. When you are knocked right away simply jump and immediately transform to gain great height, enough to avoid your opponent.

Ochobobo

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1075-1052-5472
Thanks for the tips. I actually asked that question just a few hours before a small tournament at my college lol. It was about 25 people or so. (Yeah I know, not that great of a deal) I had planned to transform against GW whenever I inevitably faced him. First I used it against Lucas, but failed miserably on my first stock, transformed again, and Lucas was so used to fighting Sheik that almost all of Zelda's attacks caught him offguard. He was defeated shortly afterwards.

Later I had to fight GW on Battlefield. After seeing how badly experienced I was with Sheik in the fight against Lucas, I didn't want to risk it and just bit the bullet and fought with just Zelda. Now this GW I know is actually a pretty decent player, he beats me virtually everytime whenever we play for fun. But . . . I somehow played better than I ever played against him. I spotdodged his hammer d-smash several times, countered with my own d-smash to knock him off the stage. I u-smashed his key, d-air (which is always a good feeling) The player eventually became so flustered that when I cast Din's Fire on him when he tripped, he forgot to use the Bucket and just shielded. By that point his shield was so worn down that it shattered. I jumped up to his platform, U-air'd him and won. Epic.

I made it to the final round against Marth, on Battlefield again. He got me up to a much higher damage percent first, and knocked me off the stage. As I came falling back, he jumped up to try and do some aerial attacks on me. I responded first and sweetspotted a d-air, sending him straight to the abyss. Yesss! The one move I wanted to pull off in this tournament I did in the final round. How appropriate.

I did eventually lose though, very unfortunately . . . I dodged a lot of his attacks, but I think my downfall was that I was not used to fighting Marth (or perhaps this player in general) and couldn't read when he was going to deflect. He did manage to deflect my U-smash on several occasions, though I was able to grab him through it a few times. With both of us down to 1 life, he finally killed me.

I just had to say all that to get over my disappointment at losing in the very last round, even though it was just a very small tournament (I've never gone to one of those major ones, obviously lol) and to let you know I represented Zelda in some small tournament you guys don't even care about lolol.

Edit: I just noticed all the characters I listed are the three bad matchups for Zelda according to the "Keeping it Classy" guide. I had no idea, lol. I knew about GW of course, and somewhat about Lucas, but knew nothing of Marth being a bad matchup. I don't feel so bad about losing now, kinda lol. I hardly ever play against Marth, almost all of my friends here choose Ike instead. Now I should definitely find some way to practice against Marth . . .

mikekleman

Smash Cadet
for future references, battlefield is a great stage for zelda. it has smaller area. arial (pardon spelling lol) combat, and a lot of space from end of stage to side of screen to land a spike

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Well done ochobobo for representing.

Zelda has quite a few bad matchups. She goes even with Lucas, or is slightly disadvantaged. Marth is one of her worst matchups.

Might I suggest you see this chart, or the the actual matchup thread.

Could be useful ^^

Barge

All I want is a custom title
This is a real question from moi.

Do I DI, SDI or do both out of zeldas upsmash and which way? Up, down, left or right?

Bandit

Smash Lord
It is different depending on the characters. You are going to SDI up if you are a bigger character, and SDI down if you are smaller. Marth and Ike pop right out of the UpSmash but if they were go down, they would only get sucked back in. Smaller characters like Kirby are able to get out by going down and punish easier.

To go left or right will just make you eat every hit.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
How about a character like ice climbers?
They're pretty small, but also medium weight so...

Bandit

Smash Lord
I'm not sure there since I don't play with them nor do I play them very often. Most of the time, I would suggest people go up since it is safer. If you go down, there is no guarantee, in your case, that both popo and nana get out if either of them do.

KillaBugs010

Smash Rookie
I have a question? I've been using Zelda since melee but I'm not really that good. I'm trying to learn how to switch between Zelda and Shiek to than Shiek can rack up damage and Zelda can get the KO... Any advice on how I should do this or what combos to use??

Ochobobo

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1075-1052-5472
Well the basic idea is that if Sheik racks up enough damage on an opponent, she should eventually send them off the edge/far away. While your opponent is trying to recover, then transform, if there's enough time. Then KO with Zelda, and transform back into Sheik.

Also, if you die first and your opponent is still at a high damage, then right after you spawn transform immediately into Zelda, if you've been waiting for the right chance. That way your rebirth invincibility is delayed during the transformation (she's invincible then either way) and is carried over to Zelda time, thus she's invincible longer (Thanks mikekleman for pointing that to me earlier lol)

There's another technique called Rising Transform, which I have not taken the time to learn myself yet, though I should eventually. You can find a description for it on one of the guides around here... one of those stickies.... http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=196906 here it is lol

Kage Me

Smash Ace
Bit of an odd question perhaps, but how well known is the prolonged Lightning Kick technique on stages like Yoshi's Island and the second part of Castle Siege?

More importantly, is there any honour to be had from announcing it? It didn't show up in the search, so...

lil cj

Smash Lord
What is Zelda's best stages?
And should nair be used often?
It a very good move and you can follow up with any tilt
and its a great approach...just not sure about the priority

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Zelda's best stages are Luigi's Mansion and Battlefield.

Nair should be used often. It's probably her only decent aerial to approach with, and it can get you out of some things. Its priority is fine.

goodkid

Smash Lord
What is Zelda's best stages?
And should nair be used often?
It a very good move and you can follow up with any tilt
and its a great approach...just not sure about the priority
Zelda does well on Castle Siege as well, its just not many people know about this because they don't use it as much as me :chuckle:. She can camp on the 2nd level w/ Farore's Wind, she can run away & teleport to any of the platforms easily. If it helps, I haven't lost to a MK in an online game on Castle, that may say something, but not for sure because its online.

Top Bottom