• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SWF College Outreach: Atlantic South Chapter ~Last Call

Status
Not open for further replies.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
College is a big thing for most of you out there, and by no means do I want to detract from your studies and experiences in the classroom (which I encourage by all means), you know what else is awesome? All of the extra curricular activities you can partake in - now what if we added Smash into the picture?

Getting better attendance at tournaments, organized play, better practice, and much more. These are some of the things we can hope by spreading the word about Smash World Forums and Smash Organizations alike through the US. I will be heading a project to help spread awareness of such groups, and provide support for others in the creation and upkeep of these organizations along with others through the SWF College Outreach Program.

Still in the early parts of it, step 1 is something simple. I would like to find out which Smashers here currently go to, or have attended college, along with a simple question or two. If this applies to you, it would be a big help to fill out the couple of questions at the end of this post, it should take no more than a minute to fill out!

There is a copy of this thread in each of the regional zones. Please only fill it out once, and reply to the section for which region your college is in (for instance if you live in Atlantic North but go to school in Atlantic South, please reply to the Atl. South thread).

What college/university do you go to?

What state is this school in?

Are you currently enrolled, graduated, or starting soon?

If you have not yet graduated, what year do you plan to graduate? If you have graduated, what year was it in?

Does your school have a specific Smash organization? If not, is there a similar club like an Anime or Video games club where many members share an interest in Smash? What is the name of this organization?

Do you hold an office position (such as President, Vice President, Treasurer, etc) in such organization?

Pritch

Smash Lord
-University of New Orleans.

-Louisiana.

-Currently enrolled.

-Graduating within the month if all goes according to plan.

-No, or if there is one it's EXTREMELY poorly promoted. This school sucks for extracurricular activities in general though, so it's probably not a particularly good example.

-N/A.

In terms of organized school gaming I don't really know of anything at any of the New Orleans schools. There is a gaming club at LSU in Baton Rouge, but that's all I'm aware of.

KOkingpin

Smash Champion
What college/university do you go to? >>> Middle Tennessee State University

What state is this school in? >>> Tennessee

Are you currently enrolled, graduated, or starting soon? >>> Enrolled

If you have not yet graduated, what year do you plan to graduate? If you have graduated, what year was it in? >>> 2013-2014

Does your school have a specific Smash organization? If not, is there a similar club like an Anime or Video games club where many members share an interest in Smash? What is the name of this organization? >>> I'm almost certain that there is an Anime club but not a video game club. Its as Pritch says. The club is poorly promoted.

Do you hold an office position (such as President, Vice President, Treasurer, etc) in such organization? >>> Not in the club currently.

nevershootme

Smash Master
-Before - Florida International University
-Currently - University of Central Florida

-Florida

-Graduated with a BSEE

Does your school have a specific Smash organization? If not, is there a similar club like an Anime or Video games club where many members share an interest in Smash? What is the name of this organization?

-at FIU: There is an anime club, but they watch anime only. People that attend FIU know there's (now was with the demolishing of the game room for a Chili's) a game room with 1-2 big screen TV's that's been usually hogged by smash (brawl/melee) most of the time. everyone practices daily and in between classes from 8am-6pm. tournaments have been held on campus by smash players like me and ruuku since 2006 as a once a semester tourney with the exception of the staff in charge of the place were a lil picky on how they wanted to handle the fees but as long as we provided the legit rules and they provided tv's and everyone's happy. I've also taken charge of running Brawl tournies for 3 years with Yasumicon (local anime con at school during the summer). yeaa that's how SFL gets so good.

-At UCF, there is a gaming lan club that wanted to run console events (mostly PC lan only), but that never went through and I wanted to help them out, but they didn't let it slide. So smashfests are organized at anyone's house, apartment, or dorm.

Fatchu

Smash Journeyman
Martin Methodist College or Murfreesboro, TN
What college/university do you go to?-Martin Methodist College

What state is this school in?-TN

Are you currently enrolled, graduated, or starting soon?-enrolled

If you have not yet graduated, what year do you plan to graduate? If you have graduated, what year was it in?-graduate 2013-2014

Does your school have a specific Smash organization? If not, is there a similar club like an Anime or Video games club where many members share an interest in Smash? What is the name of this organization?-No I want to get together a geek club, people with interest in anime gaming comics, etc. I have a sponsor just need people.

Do you hold an office position (such as President, Vice President, Treasurer, etc) in such organization?-president of awesome.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
Southern Polytechnic State University

Georgia

Enrolled

If you have not yet graduated, what year do you plan to graduate? If you have graduated, what year was it in?

Yes, it's called "Get Wrecked", but we are looking for a better name. I'm thinking it might be changed to "Smash University" haha.

Do you hold an office position (such as President, Vice President, Treasurer, etc) in such organization?
Well on the facebook group I am an admin so i guess that makes me Man #2.

Moses.

Smash Journeyman
University?
University of Florida

State?
Florida

Status?
Enrolled full time

Graduated?
Will graduate after 2ish more years so probably 2012 (maybe less)

Organization?
We have a club here at UF called the GSCA (Gator Society Of Cyber Athletes) where we used to hang out and play every Friday night at one of the buildings on campus, but now we mainly just play at a fellow smashers apartment complex (usually HarrietTheGuy's place). There are still people that go the GSCA, but the numbers are way down. Games played are usually melee/brawl, Rock Band, SF4 and some other fighters I don't recognize too often.

Officer?
No

joeysmash

Smash Ace
NNID
papakarcher
What college/university do you go to? - GCSU (Georgia College and State University)

What state is this school in?- take a guess

Are you currently enrolled, graduated, or starting soon?-enrolled. first semester here.

If you have not yet graduated, what year do you plan to graduate? If you have graduated, what year was it in?- sometime in the next 4 years i pan to grad

Not to my knowledge

no

j00t

Smash Champion

University of Alabama in Huntsville

Alabama

Currently Enrolled

I plan to graduate in 2011.

There was a video game club, but I'm not sure if it still exists. Other than this, there are no anime or video game clubs that I am aware of.

No.
Answers in bold.

GOL | 482 | JSalt

The Folse Deity
NNID
JSalty

Louisiana State University

Louisiana

Currently enrolled

Plan to graduate in 2012

We have a gaming club called "Tiger Uppercut" (lame, I know), and about half of its members are Smash people. We play Brawl and other fighting games, as well as anything else anyone wants to bring.

I am vice president.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua

I go to UNC-Pembroke

North Carolina (STACK IT UP!!!)

uh yea, duh

I'm going to be a sophomore next year, so I guess I'll graduate in... 2013?

There is no such organization at my school, but I've been doing my best to get that word of Smash around, specifically Melee and even a little 64. I've gotten my roommate and a few friends of mine to get into Melee. I know a few people who've made SWF accounts but haven't done much with them. I even met a kid who plays Brawl+. People are so surprised when they hear there are even tournaments for Smash in general, so they're auto-interested when I start to talk about it. I'm positive that if I decided to hold a tourney at my school, a good 10-20 people would show from my school alone.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator

University of Florida.

Florida.

Full time student.

Will graduate in 2011.

We have GSCA which meets once a week. It's not specifically for Smash but most of the setups are Melee/Brawl. We sometimes have other games on the side like SF4, Mario Kart Wii, etc. We occasionally hold events/tournaments at our restaurants/other areas on campus.

No.

Exdeath

Smash Master

Polk State College

Florida

Enrolled

No and not that I'm aware of

No

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Lol, if I had/could tell the stories of my college smash group + their opinion of smashboards.

School: Valdosta State University.
State: Georgia
Graduation: 2008
Smash Organization: Not when I went.
Similar Club: Not an official, active one.
Office: N/a

TRA

Smash Journeyman

Florida Gulf Coast University

Florida

Enrolled full time

Fall 2011 or Spring 2012

Brawl is pretty popular at our VGC (Video Game Club) We usually have a tournament a semester (single elimination, pools with 8 people in bracketed finals)

Thought about it, but no. I dont have the time.

dashdancedan

Smash Journeyman
What college/university do you go to? Kennesaw State University
What state is this school in? GA
Are you currently enrolled, graduated, or starting soon? Enrolled
If you have not yet graduated, what year do you plan to graduate? If you have graduated, what year was it in? Eventually
Does your school have a specific Smash organization? If not, is there a similar club like an Anime or Video games club where many members share an interest in Smash? What is the name of this organization? No

Aglow

Smash Journeyman

University of South Florida

Florida

Enrolled full time

Spring 2012

We have a Super Smash Club, newly formed, very scattered, meets tri-weekly, with few skilled players. A good half of them want items and stages like warioware.

No, and unless the club changes greatly, I will not seek such a position.

null55

Smash Master
UNC-CH.
class of 2013.
i'm sure there's a gamer/anime club, but i'm not a part of it...
so nope to the last question as well.

i really like this idea though. i've been thinking about something similar, since smash is a primary extra-curricular activity of mine.

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
What College/University do you go to?

Georgia Institute of Technology

What State is this school in?

Georgia

Starting this fall, 2010!

If you have not yet graduated, what year do yo plan to graduate? If you have graduated, what year was it in?

Raistlin

Smash Lord
University of Florida.

Florida.

Currently enrolled.

Graduating in 2011.

There is a gaming club, GSCA. It's pretty small though.

I don't hold an office position.

DRD

Smash Lord

Ringling College of Art and Design

Florida

Starting this fall.

I believe so; don't know the name. I know smashers who play there.

Nope.

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
University of Florida

Florida

Full-time student

expected to graduate 2011, but possibly coming back for grad school

Several others have already mentioned GSCA. However, Gainesville has a robust smash scene (for both games) and we generally have smashfests once a week. Contact 2nLio for Brawl; and Harriettheguy for Melee.

Not at GSCA, though I do enjoy driving people to smashfests.

shapular

Smash Ace
Lipscomb University

TN

Enrolled

no

n/a

Fiddly

Smash Rookie
Georgia Tech

Georgia

Starting Fall 2010

Expected 2015

No idea.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
University of South Alabama

Alabama

Currently Enrolled

Expected to graduate in 3 more years

There is a club, but it's full of the types of people who don't fit in with Mobile's smashers. I'm trying to start a competitive gaming club.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643

Florida Gulf Coast University

Florida

Enrolled

Lol, our video game club turned basically into a Smash Bros club. That's all anyone does. VGC is what the club is referred to as.

Treasurer

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
What college/university do you go to?: Columbus State University.

What state is this school in?: Georgia.

Are you currently enrolled, graduated, or starting soon?: Currently enrolled; going into my third year.

If you have not yet graduated, what year do you plan to graduate? If you have graduated, what year was it in?: 2012, I imagine, so long as I stay on top of things.

Does your school have a specific Smash organization? If not, is there a similar club like an Anime or Video games club where many members share an interest in Smash? What is the name of this organization?: Campus Nerds is the largest organization on campus, and there is a video game committee, though there isn't a great interest in Smash, it seems.

Do you hold an office position (such as President, Vice President, Treasurer, etc) in such organization?:

Nope.

Jartravious

Smash Journeyman
What college/university do you go to?: Rhodes College

What state is this school in?: Tennessee

Are you currently enrolled, graduated, or starting soon?: Starting freshman year Fall 2010

If you have not yet graduated, what year do you plan to graduate? If you have graduated, what year was it in?: 2014

Does your school have a specific Smash organization? If not, is there a similar club like an Anime or Video games club where many members share an interest in Smash? What is the name of this organization?:

not sure but there are several players that go to Rhodes and many more in Memphis, so anyone coming to memphis talk to me through pm and we can try to get an event

Umby

Smash Master

Morehouse College (pending school transfer)

Georgia

Enrolled.

Plan to graduate in 2012

Our "Japan Club" (technically a Spelman College club, but Morehouse/Spelman/Clark Atlanta being next door to each other means we often work together) often hosts gaming tournaments which usually incorporate Smash Bros.

I'm the "Gaming Committee Chair." I basically schedule and host any gaming related events we have and overlook the equipment contributions from club members.

Purple

Hi guys!
[collapse=What college/university do you go to?]I'm currently enrolled in Georgia Perimeter College : Dunwoody Campus.[/collapse]

[collapse=What state is this school in?]Georgia[/collapse]

[collapse=Are you currently enrolled, graduated, or starting soon?]I am currently enrolled.[/collapse]

[collapse=Does your school have a specific Smash organization? If not, is there a similar club like an Anime or Video games club where many members share an interest in Smash? What is the name of this organization?]I have never looked into extra curricular groups, so i'm not sure of this.[/collapse]

[collapse=Do you hold an office position (such as President, Vice President, Treasurer, etc) in such organization?]n/a[/collapse]

Spank That Dill

Smash Journeyman
What college/university do you go to? University of South Carolina

What state is this school in? South Carolina

Are you currently enrolled, graduated, or starting soon? Yes

If you have not yet graduated, what year do you plan to graduate? If you have graduated, what year was it in? 2013, maybe '14.

Does your school have a specific Smash organization? If not, is there a similar club like an Anime or Video games club where many members share an interest in Smash? What is the name of this organization? We have a gameroom that holds Brawl tournaments every month or so, but you have to be enrolled to play in them I think. Other than that, there is an anime club, but I don't know a whole lot about it.

Do you hold an office position (such as President, Vice President, Treasurer, etc) in such organization? no

MintChip

Smash Cadet
I'm starting in Polk State College this fall.
I'll be there until 2012 I believe.
I'm going to look into starting a club if they don't already have one.

Saltix

Smash Lord
Kennesaw State University

Georgia

Starting soon

No, not that I know of yet

No

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill

I'll give you one guess.

Graduated

At one point, there was a smash club, but it disbanded due to multiple thefts.

No.

Stratocaster

Smash Ace
TTU (Tennessee Technological University)

Tennessee

Starting soon, 3 weeks from this post

Not aware of anything like that no

No

Winnar

Smash Lord
- Mississippi State University

- Mississippi

- Enrolled

- There is an anime club, I think they used to host smash tournaments. I've been talking to them and plan to work with them to start hosting smash tournaments

- No

GOD!

Smash Ace
Berry College in Georgia.

Enrolled, Class of 2013.

No smash club, the closest thing is an alternate reality club that meets and talks about anime and stuff like that. I would never go to this group, ever, cause these kids are a little bit strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom