• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - MLG Anaheim 2014 So now that we know MLG hosts ridiculous smash tournaments...

Status
Not open for further replies.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Man, what's this now? I use a Vizio TV and I get 0 lag. MLG shouldn't get CRTs, they should get better HDTVs.
Somebody more knowledgeable correct me if this is wrong, but the Wii's native resolution is not the same as most HDTVs and thus there is a small amount of conversion lag, even with component cables.

iRJi

Smash Champion
Man, what's this now? I use a Vizio TV and I get 0 lag. MLG shouldn't get CRTs, they should get better HDTVs.
Wrong. If you said this you obviously have not set a CRT and a Vizio next to each other and tested them at the exact same time. If you do so, you will realize that any HDTV you use will have input lag, even if it is a very small amount.

Somebody more knowledgeable correct me if this is wrong, but the Wii's native resolution is not the same as most HDTVs and thus there is a small amount of conversion lag, even with component cables.
The wii can only go up to 420P, and because of that the progressive scanning is not fast enough to keep up with any HDTV for button input, it only increases graphics by a small amount.

VGA cables do not have conversion lag.
Wrong. This is very wrong. Now, you must understand that it is not just the conversion cable that will decrease lag, but the hard/software that the actual device uses to decrease it. To but it blunt, no matter what HDTV you buy, a game will have input lag on them. It is just how HDTV hardware operates, as it is built for picture, and not speed. All HDTV's will have more processing time rendering pictures, no matter what setting you put it on, because that is what they are meant to do. Put the best CRT and the best HDTV, convert them to the highest settings possible for gaming, and even use the same cables if you will, and you will see that they will vary in terms of response time.

However, you bring up a point that needs to be addressed. A monitor carries no lag if used for gaming, as long as you buy the right kind of monitor. This is why I never understood MLG's choice of TVs. A LCD monitor costs less, easier to carry around and set up, puts out a very beautiful picture, and you can buy a Composite/component to VGA/DVI adapter for like $5.00 a pop. I wish people would just listen instead of saying and acting like "We are professionals, we know what we are doing" Even though while you might specialize in it, you are not the ones dealing with it on a constant bases for gaming. Personally I don't care how "special" or "professional" you are, if you think I am wrong, test it. I don't wanna see specs, I don't wanna hear reasoning, just test it, and the results will prove them selves up front. Take a CRT, A HDTV, and a LCD monitor, put them right next to each other with a splitter, or even individually, and just flick the control stick on FD with a character, and you will see how late the TV's will vary.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I should raise the point that physics dictates that ALL TVs have lag. The fastest the signal can travel from your Wii to the TV is the speed of light which is not "instant" (just very fast), and your TV will take some (small) amount of time to interpret the signal and output a display. However, we have the benefit that modern video games output their signal at a reliable 60 frames per second (older games are sometimes slower but almost always in a way divisible here, either 30 fps or 20 fps). This means that if the lag is significantly less than 1/60 of a second, it virtually does not exist. This also means the lag could be orders of magnitude greater on some set-ups and be virtually identical. If one TV has .005 seconds of lag and another has .00001 seconds of lag, they're virtually identical even though the former is a whopping 500 times slower than the latter.

The issue people have with HDTVs is signal conversion. Signal conversion takes a lot more time than simple signal transmission, and the precise amount of time is highly variable. Those super laggy HDTVs you've seen use very inefficient signal conversion algorithms. Some better ones are faster of course.

The cables can matter because the cables can alter what signal is being input. Using different cables may mean the TV is getting an easier signal to convert or even a signal it can natively render. Some cables may contain specialty conversion hardware within them that handles the conversion better than most TVs.

Some HDTVs have a "game mode" that is designed to handle the signals from older consoles (or from the Wii, which doesn't output at as high of a resolution as the Xbox360 or the PS3). I'm not entirely sure if they simply have an amazing conversion algorithm or if the TV is able to render lower resolution signals in this mode, but I am very sure some HDTV game modes are actually "lagless" in the only sense "lagless" makes sense (there is actually lag, but it's significantly less than 1/60 of a second so it is functionally zero).

As per the TVs at Columbus, word on the street is that they had 1-2 frames of lag, but I really don't know. I do know they weren't very bad at all, I know the vast majority of players play in such a way that 1-2 frames of lag is mostly irrelevant, and I'm going to throw out a wild guess here. Most people who are saying they were bad are influenced by confirmation bias. We've been trained to assume HDTVs are bad, and you are hearing people claim they are bad which makes you suspect they were bad. I'm not saying no one was affected, but I suspect most people claiming they were were either way less affected than they believe or were actually not affected but merely think they were. I mean, let's look at it this way. Let's say the TVs were the same TVs except the plastic casing (which does nothing) was redesigned so you thought they were SDTVs just looking at them. Now let's say no one on the boards was saying they were laggy. How many of you would still be thinking they were laggy? I imagine way fewer. Be very wary of confirmation bias; it's much easier to believe something is true when your past experiences and the words of others suggest it should be true even though neither of those things should factor into your judgment.

I don't have the equipment to do this, but I bet most people here have enough imagination. Let's say I have a TV that doesn't lag at all in significance to the frame rate of the game, but I insert a little piece in it that lets me set it to lag by an amount I choose by remote control. I set it to lag by 6 frames which is pretty noticeable to most people though not quite bad enough as to be unplayable. I have a group of people play 20 games, and after that I turn it down 1 frame every 10 games so on game 71 there is zero lag. If I ask the players on game 71 how they think the lag is (with them having no idea about anything I've been doing), I can almost guarantee they will say "it seems like it's not as bad as before, but it's still kinda laggy" even though the reality is "it's not laggy at all". On the other hand, if I have them play 70 lag free games and then set the lag to 1 frame on game 71, I doubt they will even notice.

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
Some HDTVs have a "game mode" that is designed to handle the signals from older consoles (or from the Wii, which doesn't output at as high of a resolution as the Xbox360 or the PS3). I'm not entirely sure if they simply have an amazing conversion algorithm or if the TV is able to render lower resolution signals in this mode, but I am very sure some HDTV game modes are actually "lagless" in the only sense "lagless" makes sense (there is actually lag, but it's significantly less than 1/60 of a second so it is functionally zero).
The "game mode" turns off image enhancement, which is what causes the lag. No TV uses image enhancement on VGA though, which is why a VGA adapter is a good idea because even if a TV doesn't have a "game mode" setting, you are always in "game mode" on VGA because it never has image enhancement.

See my original post / full explanation in AZ's thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=10449009&postcount=5

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
I've all but given up on the stage front because people are morons in that regard, but HDTVs give blatant advantages to a few characters and really detract from the precise game other characters use.

Get on them CRTs, MLG.

Players clearly have a right to play the game under conditions with less than 1 frame of delay.

At the very least, players should all play under identical conditions of input delay, the value of which should be made clear at the time of tournament sign-up. If the tournament can't provide these conditions, players can't be expected to trust the legitimacy of the competition.
I mean, if it can be said "you paid money, so no johns", then it's also true that players should be able to make the important evaluations before paying their money, right?

In a tourney with some laggy TVs and some not, that's just outright unfair. Players are being tested under different conditions. Should be no explanation here.
If the TVs are all laggy, but they work like these HDTVs, which I'm gathering can vary in the delay from moment to moment because of their crappy conversion algorithm, then that is outright unfair too, because the differences in these frames of delay is random. No one should have to put up with it. While it could be agreed to - an accepted "equal conditions of randomness" much like many Brawl stages, and its tripping - tournaments should not go on being organized with the expectation the community will just settle for laggy TVs. Because players shouldn't.
Players have a right to play the game with less than 1 frame of delay.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
The TVs have 5ms of lag. That's .005 seconds. One frame is about .015 seconds. With VGA cables, you have your >1 from lag. And they're all consistent.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
The TVs have 5ms of lag. That's .005 seconds. One frame is about .015 seconds. With VGA cables, you have your >1 from lag. And they're all consistent.
Cool numbers. Might wanna cite them bro, or I'm going to go with their source being your rectum.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
I'd actually like to know where he got those numbers, too. Does MLG use the same model of TV for all of their setups? And if not, how many separate models are there? Once we find out, is there any way to do the research necessary to determine EXACTLY how much lag each model will have?

Reizilla

Yes, they do use the same TVs for all set ups. They're not some garbage monthly that borrows set ups from random people. >_<

Look up the Viewsonic TVs that MLG uses. I don't feel like doing that again. And until you do that, no one has proof that they lag either.

iRJi

Smash Champion
I hope you do know that MS only refers to picture response time for HDTVs. It is based for ghosting of images.

hotgarbage

Smash Lord
I'd like to bring up something in regards to this. The Wii cannot output a VGA signal... so when you use a cable like the vdigi the cable itself is transcoding the component signal into a vga signal.

...Does this process add lag? If so how is it comparable to the mlg tv's upscalers? I honestly don't know the answer to either of these lol. Thought I'd throw this out there anyways though, perhaps someone does.

MetalMusicMan

I'd like to bring up something in regards to this. The Wii cannot output a VGA signal... so when you use a cable like the vdigi the cable itself is transcoding the component signal into a vga signal.

...Does this process add lag? If so how is it comparable to the mlg tv's upscalers? I honestly don't know the answer to either of these lol. Thought I'd throw this out there anyways though, perhaps someone does.
Yes it can, actually. The Wii can output 480p (progressive), which is compatible with VGA as are all of the various progressive resolutions.

480i (interlaced), the "default" Wii output (when you use Composite cables) is not compatible with VGA and therefore shows up as a black screen or "no signal". This is why you have to put the Wii in 480p mode (using the included single Component video cable included with the adapter or your own Component cables) before using the VGA plug.

There is no up-scaling or processing or anything, every Wii can output directly to 480p. The Vdigi VGA cable doesn't have a "box" or anything of the sort, it couldn't even do any processing if it wanted to.

I explained this in my original post: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=10449009&postcount=5

Masky

Smash Master
I've ran a circuit with a series of custom stages in it (two starters, one counter) and they worked incredibly well. I'll be posting a report relatively soon.

As for items, we've tested them thoroughly in multiple areas and multiple regions. Results CAN be consistent but the items themselves can produce individual random results on a consistent basis. As such, you get consistent ranges of results, which is not competitively sound for a standard. Items as counterpicks has been discussed and actually wouldn't be a bad idea competitively, but it is less likely to exist due to public disapproval.
What? Huh? What? What?
Could you not tell I was joking?

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
ADHD said:
Do you feel the character diversity would occur with a standard EC stagelist and lagless TVs, though? When has this many upsets occured? Never. I guess you could pride your tournament over this, in a way. Yet, randomness, since the beginning of brawl as well as melee has been hastled over to be minimized time and time again. We're just starting over in a mean cycle by doing this.
Results from Taste of Armageddon - June 12th - New Jersey
1: Nairo ($225.00) :metaknight:
2: Shadow ($112.50) :metaknight:
3: Atomsk ($67.50) :metaknight:
4: Jash ($45.00) :toonlink:
5: Yes! :snake::wolf::wario::fox:
5: Cheese :metaknight::popo:
7: Orion :metaknight:
7: Rizakor :metaknight:
9: Inui :metaknight:
9: Penta :gw:
9: Pwii :metaknight:
9: Sagat

Using this stagelist:

NEUTRALS

* Final Destination
* Battlefield
* Yoshi's Story
* Smashville
* Lylat

COUNTERPICKS:
* Delfino Plaza
* Frigate Orpheon
* Battleship Halberd
* Castle Siege
* Rainbow Cruise
* Brinstar
* Pokemon Stadium 1
That is what you get with EC ruleset. Does everyone think it is just a coincidence that the region with the most conservative stagelist also is the region most populated with MKs? This was from a tournament this past weekend, and IIRC there was a tournament just a month or two back with like 7/8 MKs in the top in NY/NJ area.

I'm still trying to figure out how they tricked so many people into believing that narrowing the stagelist actually helped other characters when MK still has an advantage on every stage they use.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I like how "Yes!" as a player has as much character diversity as the rest of the players combined.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
atomsk told me he 2 and 3 stocked shadow with Falco, and would have won the set 3-1, but he did an up smash at 130% from the bottom of Delphino, Shadow barely lived, then won the set 3-2 as a result of close games. This is what atomsk told me on aim last night.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
130%? What transformation?
I a going to take a guess at it being the plaza area with the water to the left side and a walk off to the right.
Also designated as the DDD zone.

AlphaZealot said:
I'm still trying to figure out how they tricked so many people into believing that narrowing the stagelist actually helped other characters when MK still has an advantage on every stage they use.
It isn't hard to trick people who are already in on the trick.
O.O

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
all i can say is god**** jash, how can u say your scared of my ddd when you were swimming in a sea full of bats this weekend wtf dis man got huge balls O_O

iRJi

Smash Champion
The transformation was the part where there is water on the left and right, and the rest of the stage is flat.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
atomsk told me he 2 and 3 stocked shadow with Falco, and would have won the set 3-1, but he did an up smash at 130% from the bottom of Delphino, Shadow barely lived, then won the set 3-2 as a result of close games. This is what atomsk told me on aim last night.
so what your saying is atomsk tried to use a non mk character on the ec stage list and lost?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
For all you guys johning about the stage list...here is how I saw it from the moment I found out.

9 neutrals is the best with stage striking and it doesn't advantage anybody (Nobody has 5 good neutrals or 5 bad ones, sans ganondorf).

There are 3 stages from the EC stagelist (Brinstar, Frigate, RC)
There is 1 that is popping up in more places (Florida, MW, Some other tournaments) In pictochat
There are 3 stages from the MW stagelist (GG, Norfair, PS2)

How is that biased?

Reizilla

Texas also uses PS2 and Norfair. Not sure about Picto, but in my region, yes.

MetalMusicMan

For all you guys johning about the stage list...here is how I saw it from the moment I found out.

9 neutrals is the best with stage striking and it doesn't advantage anybody (Nobody has 5 good neutrals or 5 bad ones, sans ganondorf).

There is 1 that is popping up in more places (Florida, MW, Some other tournaments) In pictochat

How is that biased?
I totally agree. A lot of people seem to think that the stage-list was somehow conspired by MW people (or just Overswarm) lol. MLG basically picked their own stages while loosely basing it off of BBR recommendations.

It's not my personal ideal stagelist, but it's certainly not that bad and does just fine in terms of the competition.

Sharky

Smash Master

How is that biased?
if brinstar frigate and rc were stages that only ec used, this would make sense.

This is not the case.

I'm not taking any sides in this or anything, I just wanted to point that out.

I have no sense of humor. Or heart.

did robo-m2k get on your account?

ADHD

Smash Hero
Results from Taste of Armageddon - June 12th - New Jersey
1: Nairo ($225.00) :metaknight:
2: Shadow ($112.50) :metaknight:
3: Atomsk ($67.50) :metaknight:
4: Jash ($45.00) :toonlink:
5: Yes! :snake::wolf::wario::fox:
5: Cheese :metaknight::popo:
7: Orion :metaknight:
7: Rizakor :metaknight:
9: Inui :metaknight:
9: Penta :gw:
9: Pwii :metaknight:
9: Sagat

Using this stagelist:

That is what you get with EC ruleset. Does everyone think it is just a coincidence that the region with the most conservative stagelist also is the region most populated with MKs? This was from a tournament this past weekend, and IIRC there was a tournament just a month or two back with like 7/8 MKs in the top in NY/NJ area.

A tournament in the midwest hosted by Nope had used the EC stagelist--an exact replicate of ours.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=277756

The top 13 shows no correlation and an abnormal amount of metaknights whatsoever. It's merely a coincidence that our state is lazy & infested with metaknights.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
A tournament in the midwest hosted by Nope had used the EC stagelist--an exact replicate of ours.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=277756

The top 13 shows no correlation and an abnormal amount of metaknights whatsoever. It's merely a coincidence that our state is lazy & infested with metaknights.
Er... Nope's tournament is like, the only one that uses EC rules. It's not even standard at his other events. You can't fully expect one tournament's rule change to show a drastic change like that with a static userbase. It'd be like allowing Bridge of Eldin and expecting to see a ton of D3s and Falcos in the top spots... it wouldn't happen unless you had the D3s and falcos in the first place.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Er... Nope's tournament is like, the only one that uses EC rules. It's not even standard at his other events. You can't fully expect one tournament's rule change to show a drastic change like that with a static userbase. It'd be like allowing Bridge of Eldin and expecting to see a ton of D3s and Falcos in the top spots... it wouldn't happen unless you had the D3s and falcos in the first place.
Nope's tournament proved that metaknights don't perform better under our stagelist. If you're talking about the stagelist promoting metaknight abundance, then you'd have to host more to prove it because it hasn't been done before. One state isn't enough.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Nope's tournament proved that metaknights don't perform better under our stagelist. If you're talking about the stagelist promoting metaknight abundance, then you'd have to host more to prove it because it hasn't been done before. One state isn't enough.
Riiiight...because Nope's tournament was simply filled to the brink with even half the amount of Metaknights/Top Metaknights that the EC tournament/s had. Not a viable comparison or argument to make. At all.

If I'm wrong, then I should be easy to refute, right?

ADHD

Smash Hero
Riiiight...because Nope's tournament was simply filled to the brink with even half the amount of Metaknights/Top Metaknights that the EC tournament/s had. Not a viable comparison or argument to make. At all.

If I'm wrong, then I should be easy to refute, right?
Oh. I see all those top metaknights at that EC tournament!

And our alex strife-hosted tournaments were imported "top metaknights" that placed well when not many were even in the top 20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom