• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - MLG Anaheim 2014 So now that we know MLG hosts ridiculous smash tournaments...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunshade

Smash Ace
Nope's tournament proved that metaknights don't perform better under our stagelist. If you're talking about the stagelist promoting metaknight abundance, then you'd have to host more to prove it because it hasn't been done before. One state isn't enough.
I think Overswarm would gladly host a tournament using a conservative stage list provided you can give logical, and justifiable reasons for each stage being banned.

Simply saying "its what we do on the EC" does not count as a reason.

ADHD

Smash Hero
I think Overswarm would gladly host a tournament using a conservative stage list provided you can give logical, and justifiable reasons for each stage being banned.

Simply saying "its what we do on the EC" does not count as a reason.
L. O. L.

You can never convince OS anything, anyway.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Oh. I see all those top metaknights at that EC tournament!

And our alex strife-hosted tournaments were imported "top metaknights" that placed well when not many were even in the top 20.
Hence why I put "Metaknights/top Metaknights" genius. On average, Midwest does not have nearly the amount of MK entrants that EC regularly has, and you'd be fooling yourself if you deny it. That is why I found your "Nope's tournament proved that metaknights don't perform better under our stagelist" example to be quite a funny one, because it just continues to show how desperate you are to get the MLG stagelist changed, or at the very least it shows how bitter you are about the effect it has on your character. If you're going to present an example, at least make it a good/viable one please.

L. O. L.

You can never convince OS anything, anyway.
You're one to talk. You're just as hard-headed as you accuse him of being, although he can actually present evidence and information in his arguments. If you need any proof of what I'm saying...just look at what I just quoted.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
guys robots dont have flesh n blood...

however

nanomachines do!!

ADHD

Smash Hero
Hence why I put "Metaknights/top Metaknights" genius. On average, Midwest does not have nearly the amount of MK entrants that EC regularly has, and you'd be fooling yourself if you deny it. That is why I found your "Nope's tournament proved that metaknights don't perform better under our stagelist" example to be quite a funny one, because it just continues to show how desperate you are to get the MLG stagelist changed, or at the very least it shows how bitter you are about the effect it has on your character. If you're going to present an example, at least make it a good/viable one please.

You're one to talk. You're just as hard-headed as you accuse him of being, although he can actually present evidence and information in his arguments. If you need any proof of what I'm saying...just look at what I just quoted.
Top metaknights? We have like.. two. Judge, recently is arguable to be better than them both, and he got 9th under EC rules. Who cares about the other metaknights. Why are you taking into consideration scrubs? Scrubs main metaknight, big deal.

In fact, I'd state AZ is desperate for posting something totally unrelative. Why would the EC stage list promote metaknights?

Oh, and also. Someone needs to host a national tournament full of top level metaknights WITHOUT the minor TV lag and you will clearly see the difference. The flukes are all bull ****.

sunshade

Smash Ace
Why would the EC stage list promote metaknights?
Many of the stages allowed by liberal stage lists help characters other than Metaknight more than they help Metaknight.

Falco is given more of an advantage from jungle japes being legal than MK is.
Diddy is given more of an advantage from Pictochat being legal than MK is.
King dedede is given more of an advantage from green greens being legal than MK is.
Mr.game and watch is given more of an advantage from just about any stage than MK is.

The list goes on and on. With the exception of Norfair, arguably no stage helps MK more than it does someone else on the roster. In Norfair's case tournament results dont show MK to be an issue either.

Oh, and also. Someone needs to host a national tournament full of top level metaknights WITHOUT the minor TV lag and you will clearly see the difference. The flukes are all bull ****.
Name 3 people who won their matches due to a "fluke" caused by TV lag.

I hope you would be willing to tell these people to their face that you think they only won because a TV had 1-2 frames of lag and it had nothing to do with their personal level of skill.

Chuee

Smash Hero
Name 3 people who one their matches due to a "fluke" caused by TV lag.

I hope you would be willing to tell these people to their face that you think they only won because a TV had 1-2 frames of lag.
Its been said a few times in this thread that most of the top IC players at MLG said the TV lag made them drop CGs.

Sharky

Smash Master
Many of the stages allowed by liberal stage lists help characters other than Metaknight more than they help Metaknight.

King dedede is given more of an advantage from green greens being legal than MK is.
Mr.game and watch is given more of an advantage from just about any stage than MK is.

The list goes on and on. With the exception of Norfair, arguably no stage helps MK more than it does someone else on the roster. In Norfair's case tournament results dont show MK to be an issue either.

Name 3 people who won their matches due to a "fluke" caused by TV lag.

I hope you would be willing to tell these people to their face that you think they only won because a TV had 1-2 frames of lag and it had nothing to do with their personal level of skill.
ok, so in very specific match-ups it helps someone else more than MK.

However, across the whole board, MK definitely gets more a buff than any other character.

hunger!

Smash Champion
Green greens NEEDS to be taken off.

i jv 3 stocked some dudes pit and he cp'd to green greens and i said "well ill go dedede too" before he even chose dedede.

100% agree with the tv thing.

ADHD

Smash Hero
And who are those 2 MK's?
Big M and cheese.

The lag affects everyone, dude. Tyrant claimed it RIGHT after Orlando (don't misconstrude it as some stupid john for columbus) that the lag was constantly affecting him, and mew2king as well. I can contend for that, it was harder to do anything.. really.

And those are just FOUR + stages. Metaknight ***** those characters anyway, regardless of if they take a game or not on some janky *** stage, they're still going to lose. Who cares about falco at mlg rofl, he can't even start in a proper area.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Top metaknights? We have like.. two.
Name them both for the sake of clarification please. Being vague won't get anyone anywhere.

Judge, recently is arguable to be better than them both, and he got 9th under EC rules.
Sure, because rules alone are the only determining factor for one's placement in a tournament. Good argument there. :laugh:

Who cares about the other metaknights. Why are you taking into consideration scrubs? Scrubs main metaknight, big deal.
Who said pros were my only focal point? I'm obviously speaking generally here. Everyone knows NJ/EC is MK country, so are you going to deny that there are more MK entrants (thus...a higher probability of there being top MKs in the mix) per tournament than in the Midwest?

In fact, I'd state AZ is desperate for posting something totally unrelative. Why would the EC stage list promote metaknights?
And I'd concur that you're the desperate one here. Who said anything about the EC stagelist solely promoting Metaknight, if at all? It promotes a select few characters, sure, but Metaknight will perform well regardless of the stagelist arrangement. He's Metaknight.

So with that said...tell me: with MK's universal flexibility on the stagelist, why does it matter so much which specific stage list is used? Let's see if you can mention something worthwhile, and not something that is centralized around a Diddy main's perspective.

Or maybe, just maybe, those top MKs were simply bested by competitors whom:

A. They've never faced
B. They've never paid attention to/studied prior to their MLG set
C. Actually equal or surpass them in skill or specific matchup knowledge
D. All of the above

I highly doubt that 1-2 meager frames of lag would influence such a skill gap that much, if there is one that large between two respective players associated with one of the upsets.

My unrelated guess: I bet players just tend to sleep on people they don't really know/haven't really heard of, even if just a little bit. We're all guilty of it at some point.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599

I highly doubt that 1-2 meager frames
after comparing and looking at other tvs at showdown mine def had that delay. It affected my timing on the CG for DDD. Other players that played on mine also said their timing for ATs was off, sound didnt match up with their inputs.

So i'm gonna have to agree wit other ppl when they say that HDTV has got to go when it comes to playing dis game at high lvls.

Even at MLG columbus, my CG was off. Next time i do have to bring a TV, i will bring a proper one that isnt hd-- that being said what TVs are best suited for playing brawl? I'd like to look into buying one, thats portable.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
after comparing and looking at other tvs at showdown mine def had that delay. It affected my timing on the CG for DDD. Other players that played on mine also said their timing for ATs was off, sound didnt match up with their inputs.

So i'm gonna have to agree wit other ppl when they say that HDTV has got to go when it comes to playing dis game at high lvls.

Even at MLG columbus, my CG was off. Next time i do have to bring a TV, i will bring a proper one that isnt hd-- that being said what TVs are best suited for playing brawl? I'd like to look into buying one, thats portable.
I know what you mean, I'm not saying the circumstances were perfect, but he straight up called those upsets flukes. All I can say to that is...really?

This is also coming from someone who is absolutely no stranger to wifi play and still has the nerve to complain about the 1-2 frames of lag like it actually bothers him. Other people I can understand, but him not so much.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439

Falco is given more of an advantage from jungle japes being legal than MK is. True
Diddy is given more of an advantage from Pictochat being legal than MK is.False
King dedede is given more of an advantage from green greens being legal than MK is.lol D3
Mr.game and watch is given more of an advantage from just about any stage than MK is.Debatable
Just to add my thoughts on the matter. People still don't seem to understand how Diddy works, and what constitutes a good Diddy stage.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Diddy on Pictochat is pretty epic, not gonna lie. It's ridiculously good for Diddy.

iiDEMIGODz

Smash Cadet
So because of 1-2 frames of lag, MLG is suppose to buy tons of clunky standard definition TVs? Also, they'd have to find the room for these things, because chances are they wouldn't be as compact as the current TVs.

And they are suppose to do this for a game they just added this year, and who knows how long it will stay on the circuit? I wouldn't count on it, and I don't blame 'em.

Conti

Smash Ace
All I know is people can't say ECs stage list gives MK a better chance and why we see so many mks in results... its simple to say the tri-state area just has more MKs than any other region, so u can't base it from NJ/NYs MK popularity... someone should look up some recentish national from EC using the ec ruleset n stage list and see the MK popularity then...

In other news... yeah tv's with lag do f u up

Judo777

Smash Master
someone explain to me how adding stages mk is better on makes him worse
Norfair is a great stage for alot of characters but if ur gonna run into MK's then its might make u worse.

Halberd is a great stage for sheik but if there are gonna be like 50 snakes at a tournament then adding that stage to the list could really hinder me as a player.

Just cause u are good on a stage (which i mean come on MK is amazing everywhere) the adding more stages could just give other characters a better chance in certain MU's.

Also the stage list is great the only change needs to be subbing GG for japes.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
I know what you mean, I'm not saying the circumstances were perfect, but he straight up called those upsets flukes. All I can say to that is...really?

This is also coming from someone who is absolutely no stranger to wifi play and still has the nerve to complain about the 1-2 frames of lag like it actually bothers him. Other people I can understand, but him not so much.
i agree, cuz like i came from wifi too you know? And untill showdown i rly didnt fully appreciate and understand the severity these little things can cause. Mind you 1-2 isnt a big huge deal compared to wifi, but the fact that we have control over such things is what people nit pick about. Wifi lag, yea, random understandable. However TVs we have control over these variables. The matter itself is a very gray'ed subject. Standard TVs are not as readly available anymore.

Flukes? Hard to say really without first seeing the matches in question, and the respective players in said match. I do believe however the wifi player has a better leg up on laggy TV situations due to being trained to adjust on the fly for different situations. While playing at MLG cbus, i was playing with these problems in mind. I think the most important thing to sort of take away from it is, dont let it bother you. The second one starts troubling his mind in a tournament set, over something minuscule is when he starts losing hard.

It rly is very difficult to call something a fluke in the matter of HDTV vs Standard TV. The delay is minuscule enough, the players would be forced to adjust and quit *****ing about it. Cuz this is MLG we're discussing not community run tournaments. If MLG continues to use HDTVs, it is the players job to make sure he plays on a HDTV and knows how to adjust on the fly. If not, its his fault for not being able to take out players who can.

Others may call it dumb, unfair. Thats just tough luck, this is MLGs tournament. When people register for their tournies, we are expected to play by THEIR stage list, their TVs, and their rules. If one doesnt like it they are more than welcome to not enter. I'm not opposed to people being out spoken about changes. I have already posted my own opinions on changes that could be done.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Diddy on Pictochat is pretty epic, not gonna lie. It's ridiculously good for Diddy.
I'm going to have to disagree. I generally beat Diddy here, and have a remarkable win ratio against not only ADHD, but all Diddy Kong players I've ever fought here, as both Marth and MK.

Diddy's bubble of control is about this big:

Picto is about this big

FD is about this big

Smashville is about this big

I greatly feel that Smashville is Diddy's best stage. ADHD has the highest win ratio against me here. FD is pretty good, but I prefer to go there over Smashville. I think that FD is better for Diddy than MK, and Smashville buffs MK as it does Diddy. Hence, FD is better in that particular MU. Overall, I think Smashville might be better for Diddy though, when you compare to the rest of the cast. His ability to control so much area is silly, but it's mitigated when there is a lot of area to escape to. Since his bubble eventually disappears and leaves a slight opening, or he creates an opening when moving it, I prefer to have more space. It's not that hard to NOT get banana locked, and if you watch matches at higher level play, it doesn't happen often (and isn't THAT much damage anyway). D3's chaingrab results in MUCH more profitable damage. Diddy prefers to just keep you under constant pressure by controlling the space around.

tl;dr

If the size of the stage extends past the amount of space Diddy can control, you can deal with Diddy easier simply by playing patiently.

iRJi

Smash Champion
So because of 1-2 frames of lag, MLG is suppose to buy tons of clunky standard definition TVs? Also, they'd have to find the room for these things, because chances are they wouldn't be as compact as the current TVs.

And they are suppose to do this for a game they just added this year, and who knows how long it will stay on the circuit? I wouldn't count on it, and I don't blame 'em.
No, it is 100% possible to get monitors and eliminate the lag. You just have to do some research.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
yea i def agree with you there pierce. The space he controls is limited by how he can far he can throw the banana.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
^^ how would one go about hooking up standard cables to this monitor?

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
ANYONE WITH ANY INFORMATION ABOUT LAGLESS MONITORS TO USE FOR MLG SHOULD PM JV WITH LOTS OF DETAILS AND HELPFUL LINKS

I don't like the lag, but seriously, it's ridiculous the amount it gets complained about when JV pretty much came out and said, "Hey guys, we think there is going to be lag and we understand this is going to be an issue. Can you help us out by showing us a solution?" Why didn't you all step up to the plate then?

iRJi

Smash Champion
ANYONE WITH ANY INFORMATION ABOUT LAGLESS MONITORS TO USE FOR MLG SHOULD PM JV WITH LOTS OF DETAILS AND HELPFUL LINKS

I don't like the lag, but seriously, it's ridiculous the amount it gets complained about when JV pretty much came out and said, "Hey guys, we think there is going to be lag and we understand this is going to be an issue. Can you help us out by showing us a solution?" Why didn't you all step up to the plate then?
You know me better then that, Pierce. I don't like to give out false information without actually doing a bit of research myself. Best believe when I gather everything I need, I will talk to everyone about it. I have been studying tech and software information for a while now, coming up with a proper solution that is affordable for MLG to do. As soon as I gather the right information, I will let them know how to settle this.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
It's not just you. MLG has basically come out and said, "If you know how to solve the problem then point it out and we WILL BUY."

But all people wanna do is complain, and not be helpful. Random posts in obscure threads can EASILY get overlooked by the people who actually need the information, which is why I'm coming out and letting everyone know now, PM JV, don't just post someone where, and hope he stumbles upon it, and continue to complain.

iRJi

Smash Champion
This:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16824236056

Combined with this:

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PYPBV760...?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1276712830&sr=8-11

Should do the trick. I tried looking for the exact converter that I have, but I could not find it since it is pretty old, and most likely not in production anymore.

IN short, I am combining both of my posts to keep all the information organized and in one spot. The monitor that I have shown you above is the exact monitor model that I use at home for consoles like the Xbox 360, gamecube, and etc. The xbox 360 does not need this converter since Microsoft made their own VGA to Xbox adapter for this reason, but for anything that runs just VGA cables, you need an adapter that converts the composite or component cables to a VGA signal. Now, this should work for the Wii, but since I actually do not have this exact converter, I would not be able to tell you for sure. There is also a audio out on the converter, and there is a built in speaker system on the monitor I linked above, all you would need is to purchase a cable to go between the converter and the monitor it's self.

If you are actually serious about this like I am, I would suggest actually trying to purchase one of each linked, and just test it. the worse it can do is not work, and you can return it and get a full refund. However, if it does work, you guys should hop on it ASAP.

Edit: if that monitor is discontinued, I also know a few other monitors that should work just the same.

@ Pierce: To be honest, I did not see any one of them post that. However, if that is the case I will get on it later when I gather all the information. I love MLG, I have been attending there events for years to come. I do not want to see people decline from going because of lag.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
newegg link comes up as

error Thank you for visiting Newegg.com. We apologize for your inconvenience. The page you requested is unavailable.

If your problems persist, we may have a server issue. Please contact us to report the page you attempted to reach, and we will assist you as soon as possible.
i will try this out when i get my next pay check. Since i have a HDTV, a standard TV, and possibly this set up. I'll be able to test all 3 out.

iRJi

Smash Champion
newegg link comes up as

i will try this out when i get my next pay check. Since i have a HDTV, a standard TV, and possibly this set up. I'll be able to test all 3 out.
The link is now fixed. Also, if you can, go for it. The more testing the better.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
prob is how do you display results? recording doesnt prove anything

ADHD

Smash Hero

And I'd concur that you're the desperate one here. Who said anything about the EC stagelist solely promoting Metaknight, if at all? It promotes a select few characters, sure, but Metaknight will perform well regardless of the stagelist arrangement. He's Metaknight.

Or maybe, just, those top MKs were simply bested by competitors whom:

That is what you get with EC ruleset. Does everyone think it is just a coincidence that the region with the most conservative stagelist also is the region most populated with MKs? This was from a tournament this past weekend, and IIRC there was a tournament just a month or two back with like 7/8 MKs in the top in NY/NJ area.

I'm still trying to figure out how they tricked so many people into believing that narrowing the stagelist actually helped other characters when MK still has an advantage on every stage they use.
This was basically geared directly at metaknight's usage.

No, I'm not going to believe that about 7 Top metaknights were outplayed when upsets like this have never happened to them in a single tournament ever before that all were present at.

Judo777

Smash Master
This was basically geared directly at metaknight's usage.

No, I'm not going to believe that about 7 Top metaknights were outplayed when upsets like this have never happened to them in a single tournament ever before that all were present at.
Thats true however alot of the upsets were caused by players from different regions that don't normally attend tourneys with those players. I don't think Mikehaze had ever played Ook or even a DK of Ooks level before. I also don't believe that DEHF had played Kryzstedez before and although im sure he has wario experience there aren't any warios that play absolutely anything like Kryz. Idk about Ally playing Nick Riddle before but the first set it didn't look like Ally knew the MU that well.

Upsets are going to happen at national level tournaments that have such varied region diversity. And i know that we have had other tourneys before that were at a national level also but that doesn't invalidate my previous point.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Thats true however alot of the upsets were caused by players from different regions that don't normally attend tourneys with those players. I don't think Mikehaze had ever played Ook or even a DK of Ooks level before. I also don't believe that DEHF had played Kryzstedez before and although im sure he has wario experience there aren't any warios that play absolutely anything like Kryz. Idk about Ally playing Nick Riddle before but the first set it didn't look like Ally knew the MU that well.

Upsets are going to happen at national level tournaments that have such varied region diversity. And i know that we have had other tourneys before that were at a national level also but that doesn't invalidate my previous point.
That was true, but there were about 80 upsets.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
It certainly does not. After all, when was the last time there was a Midwest hometurf national that drew this much regional diversity, especially since we're now over 2 years into the fast-developing metagame (as opposed to any past tournaments where people may not have known how to play certain matchups)? When is the last time any of the other top players (excluding M2K and Ally) have played the best players from the Midwest or even the South/Florida/Georgia for that matter?

You're absolutely correct, regional divesity can and does make a difference, whether he wants to believe it is his own choice. However, attributing the upsets entirely to TVs with minuscule lag like he is doing is also a bit extreme.

ADHD, have you ever played any of these players who caused any of the upsets at MLG Columbus for yourself?

Edit: And no...there were not 80 upsets. Stop bringing up obscure numbers and examples.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom