• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official MBR 2010 NTSC Tier List

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Falcon has a harder tim getting initial hits in the MU, which is probably the most important part in that MU, since both characters have brainless autopilot combos -> death on each other (although, I feel fox's are easier to execute and more effective)
So fox gets first hits super easily, whereas falcon needs to work waaaay harder to do the same and really requires fox to make a mistake.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I said a while back I thought Fox-Falcon is even. I'll give a brief breakdown of how I see the matchup as far as advantages, and maybe there can be an actual discussion in this thread for once. Or everyone can continue to be dumbfounded by any opinion that implies spacies aren't godless killing machines compared to the rest of the cast. Idc, honestly.

Range/Priority: Falcon wins easily.
Disagree, but only to a point. Yes, Falcon's limbs are longer than Fox's and nair & bair are gay. But priority also has to deal with hitbox placement and attack speed, since both are relevant factors in terms of winning exchanges (and contribute to the giant umbrella category that we've labelled "priority"). I could see an argument for pure range but I don't really see the point of breaking down the character traits into comparisons like this and then focusing on such superficial aspects of the trait in a vacuum. It doesn't communicate anything meaningful about the MU or their interaction. But since you did it this way anyway, I'll respond this way.

Also, Fox's bair and u-tilt. They hit in very important areas, particularly when Falcon is cornered. A lot of "beating" Falcon's stuff has to do with out-timing him or out-positioning his hitboxes anyway (with numerous characters) and Fox is perfectly fine at this (at least against modern Falcon play).

Speed: Falcon with a slight edge.
For pure speed, yes. However, a big component of movement is mobility - the ability to maneuver effectively with one's speed. Moreover, speed is a very narrow part of the ground game. It's important, but movement is largely a conduit through which you do your moves. I do have suggestions for you to make this a better argument but... yeah. I dunno. I just don't get what the big deal is from, "Falcon with a slight edge." Fox can catch Falcon and vice versa.

Combos: Both pretty solid, but I think Falcon has the advantage of not having to combo as long as Fox, and him being a fatty can make low %s difficult to work through without grabs.
I agree with Falcon not having to combo for long to go lethal (although stage position matters more for his combos IMHO) but disagree with the low percent thing because grabs at low percent are usually a counter to crouch options and preventing people from combo-breaking out of things with attacks but Falcon sucks at both.

Fox's combos are more consistent than Falcon's because Falcon's combos are reliant heavily on tech chases that he cannot do completely on reaction as a result of shortcomings in his character in order to get the low percent KOs he wants. He has to guess or cover options, whereas Fox can essentially dial-a-combo, force him into the air and then toss moves at him (and it doesn't matter if he's off by a frame or two of stun for a variety of reasons), or reactively tech chase him with a cavalcade of combo moves (including but not limited to u-smash, d-tilt, dash attack, etc). Falcon's answer to non-tech is weak (barring guessing), which prompts a lot of escapable guess games. His throws are also prone to edgecancels and fizzle a lot more than Fox's do, even at very high level. He doesn't have as good a gimp game at the edge either so his conversions into gimps & edgeguards off well-DIed linkers that fizzle (think uair or nair) are a bit weaker than Fox's.

His recovery & combo break options to avoid being further ***** when he gets a chance to escape (or if the combo just ends) are also significantly worse, which facilitates him dying more. Fun.

Power: Falcon wins easily. Fox dying from knees at 60% because he's the 5th lightest character in the game is pretty straight.
This is an incredibly broad, stupid category. Both characters are glass cannons and have no issues breaking crouch cancel, killing the other, or (for the most part) assaulting shields (which is the point of having 'power'). I see no real advantage for Falcon in this regard aside from his ability to spontaneously kill Fox without a setup more easily because he can feasibly toss his knee around as a real strategy - but he can also do that in every MU and it's not like Fox lacks the ability to arbitrarily kill Falcon for no reason either.

Recovery: Fox wins easily for obvious reasons.
Indeed. This is actually very important because not every Falcon combo will end with knee near the edge or at 80%+ and therefore Fox's survival chances can be argued to be better than what you're giving him credit for, even if he's the 5th lightest character in the game.

Edgeguarding: Fox wins easily both because Falcon's recovery is so bad, but also because he has good edgeguarding tools as is.
Indeed. Not going to bother going further with this.

Shield Game: Fox wins easily. He can spotdodge, unlike Falcon. Has shine after wakeup and OoS giving him about a million options to ruin momentum if Falcon drops a combo.
I'm not sure why "shine after wakeup" is listed under shield options but sure. At any rate I am in agreement and there's more reasons why Fox's options are better but this will suffice. You should also make a note about how Falcon's shield is bad vs Fox's pressure.

Trapping at/near the ledge: Fox wins. He can certainly be trapped by Falcon because he has to be cautious of the huge range on uair and Falcon's general ability to dash away, but when Falcon's trapped near the ledge his limited options make him too much on the predictable side. I see trapped Falcon players taking options like jumping at Fox with a knee and praying it trades or if you're S2J, Falcon kicking (and getting away with it every damn time).
Fox's ledge options are way better than Falcon's and you didn't even mention any of his good ones. Falcon Kick is cute. Not much else to say here.

Grabs: Even. Falcon has much more dangerous stuff out of grabs, but it often relies on tech chasing and other less consistent stuff whereas Fox can virtually guarantee a followup, but he's going to kill directly out of a uthrow a lot less than Falcon will out of u/dthrow. At lower percents they seem to have a similar value for setting up combos.
No. Fox will kill Falcon by edgeguarding after he throw combos him. Falcon will do the same, but the consistency of Fox's throw gives him more room to plan his stuff. Comboing Falcon with Fox off u-throw into an edgeguardable position is easy and can be planned much better than Falcon's throw stuff, which requires a lot more improv and (to some degree) guesswork. Moreover, the nature of tech throws gives the defending player more options and unique escape opportunities that are not available nearly as much with high u-throws.

I think a lot of the poor defensive stuff Falcon suffers from is negated more and more the better the players. Top players spend a lot less time shielding than noobs, and even with Fox's great recovery, he is still killed with relative consistency, not to mention he's much more likely to get gimped than Falcon simply because Falcon is too fat to be knocked off stage until higher %s (occasional shine setups are the exception, I guess).
Your opening one and a half sentences work both ways. Falcon can try to shield less and jump to avoid combos and so forth but do you realistically think that Fox lacks answers to this? Lucky mentioned in interview eons ago that you can just nair > grab instead on a lot of defensive plays by Falcon and forgo the shine and it's a very good strat. Moreover, Falcon playing without shield means sacrificing one of his fastest immediate defensive options out of the wakeup and similar situations where he can find himself at frame disadvantage and being smothered in attacks. His lack of a ranged crouch grab a la Marth in conjunction with slow aerials (he can't CC > nair or something like Sheik or Peach) and mediocre normals (aside from gentleman, but that's pretty meh for shaking a Fox anyway) makes it genuinely hard for him to get away.

The consistency of Fox's u-throw is better than the potential to hit the knee lottery with Falcon's throws. Falcon's throws are very good in spite of their inconsistencies but virtually every Falcon has a style of tech option they struggle with because the character is not built to cover everything on reaction. The fact that Fox's throw guarantees you a hit makes it far more reliable and powerful.

I don't think this is a horrible MU for Falcon just because he's fast enough to dance with Fox and protect himself reasonably from the overshoot mixup off movement alone (even if his attacks are slower and his game is more narrow), he has the priority to win exchanges off that, knee at 60% = death is kind of good, weak knee > uair offstage is very good, and he only needs a few links to go his way in a punish order to get the sotck. That said, his inconsistencies as a character pile up vs someone like Fox and Fox just doesn't have those handicaps.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I'm not sure why "shine after wakeup" is listed under shield options but sure. At any rate I am in agreement and there's more reasons why Fox's options are better but this will suffice. You should also make a note about how Falcon's shield is bad vs Fox's pressure.

Fox's ledge options are way better than Falcon's and you didn't even mention any of his good ones. Falcon Kick is cute. Not much else to say here.
Thanks, I learned a lot from that post. :)

I included shine after wakeup in shield options because it is typically used in lieu of shield after wakeup. When you say Falcon's shield is bad vs. Fox's pressure, do you mean the shield itself, or Falcon's options OoS? I never noticed any easy shield pokes when pressuring Falcon, so his shield itself always seemed pretty solid, but maybe I'm just not using the right moves to poke.

What ledge options should Fox be using vs. Falcon (or anyone really)? I almost always ledge dash (onto stage or plats) or do a LH side-B, which I guess are pretty safe, but sometimes it feels like I am too predictable.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I've always thought that option was pretty awful. lol It's only seems worth it if they are super close to the ledge, and if that's the case, I'd rather ledgedash and punish with grab/utilt or at the very least side-B through them with invinc and get stage control. If they shield or trade with the bair, you're screwed.

odinNJ

Smash Lord
I just now realised that one page back somebody was saying that red falco is a bad falco.

GIIIIRRRLLL YOU DID NOT JUST DIS FLAMBOYANT FALCO

or spicy latino falco, as i sometimes call him

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Red falco suxxxxxxx
I've decided blue falco is the worst though.
and while green is my favorite, vanilla is clearly the best.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I've always thought that option was pretty awful. lol It's only seems worth it if they are super close to the ledge, and if that's the case, I'd rather ledgedash and punish with grab/utilt or at the very least side-B through them with invinc and get stage control. If they shield or trade with the bair, you're screwed.
I like it when they aren't right next to the ledge, but at a distance where they might run in at any second.

It covers your path onto the stage, and the speed at which you can shine out of it is deceptive (at least, at Australia-level olololol) so it baits peeps.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Red falco suxxxxxxx
I've decided blue falco is the worst though.
and while green is my favorite, vanilla is clearly the best.
I hated red Falco until I watched Calle W. Then I realized two things:
1. He is the Mango of Europe, and
2. Red Falco is awesome because his jacket matches his lasers.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Thanks, I learned a lot from that post. :)

I included shine after wakeup in shield options because it is typically used in lieu of shield after wakeup. When you say Falcon's shield is bad vs. Fox's pressure, do you mean the shield itself, or Falcon's options OoS? I never noticed any easy shield pokes when pressuring Falcon, so his shield itself always seemed pretty solid, but maybe I'm just not using the right moves to poke.

What ledge options should Fox be using vs. Falcon (or anyone really)? I almost always ledge dash (onto stage or plats) or do a LH side-B, which I guess are pretty safe, but sometimes it feels like I am too predictable.
I find that shine after wakeup is generally used as a replacement for the immediate invulnerable shield options, but not really shield itself. Replacing sidestep with a move that goes invulnerable frame 1 (with good timing) and doesn't have the wind down lag is nice. Roll and buffer jump are underrated.

Falcon's shield options are bad vs Fox's pressure. He's not good at counterattacking OOS against it and he's not good at juking him with OOS movement. I'm not going to say he's stuck forever and can do nothing but he's in trouble if the Fox is good at the pressure game. I suppose his decent shield size gives power to holding block, but holding block is only really effective if you can do something out of it eventually. Which... is not guaranteed for Falcon at all. I find you can pierce him with dairs and aiming your moves after about two aerials. Furthermore, encouraging Falcon to block so much opens up opportunities for Fox to just... grab him. And that can be devastating for obvious reasons. Falcons counters are flimsier than Fox's options.

Fox's invulnerable waveland and the degree to which it forces you to respect Fox at the edge opens up tons of options that other characters (without massively invulnerable wavelands) simply do not have. In conjunction with his fast, threatening moves... you're kind of stuck respecting him if he has any proficiency at it. This basically means easy ledge recoveries for the Fox at least for getting from ledge to stage. Falcon uses tricks more because weaker, slower normals and less natural invulnerability is simply worse than what Fox works with.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
Laser does only link under fairly specific conditions. Most people (myself included) just suck at acting out of laser stun or shielded lasers properly. I only brought it up because you said lasers let Falco link lasers into both movement and attacks, but I think linking into attacks is the large majority of how you have to play vs. anyone who knows how to deal with lasers properly.
I cannot understand the logic here at all. Lasers shut down options because they get frame disadvantage...they can also shut down approach options, out of shield options...etc etc...so why would you attempt to link attacks from your lasers if the opponent is good at dealing with lasers. I would think the exact opposite..if your opponent can deal with lasers you shouldn't be attempting illegitimate attacks and utilize the laser stun to make sure that you always have positional advantage.

new question:

I was looking at the falcon hitboxes thread and realized that falcon seems to have decent frame data...enough to wall as well as marth if not for the lack of a disjointed sword that is not part of his body.
I was wondering if someone could explain the mechanisms behind trading in the air in melee.

for example, if both char are doing a move and the hitbox of one char collides with the other, will the other player's move stop happening? and is trading just the effect when both player's hitboxes collide with each other on the exact same frame? or is it possible for fox to get hit by falcon's nair..and during the hitlag have his own nair complete and hit falcon?

I really feel that falcon would be even with fox if his retreating nair didn't trade and cleanly hit all the time like marth's nair

edit: lol at marth's nair always cleanly hitting..but it's definitely cleaner than falcons

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
red falco's always play different than blue/green falcos

normal falcos do w/e they want

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
Red Falcos are far too prone to being rested, the green jigglypuff counters red. Yoshi has a rainbow of top tier colors. Get on my level. Too busy to seriously consider Fox - Falcon, but I'll just go ahead and put in what I've seen (at my relatively lower level of play than most in this thread) Fox seems to win slightly, particularly when the Falcon doesn't seem to have a well developed strategy or MU experience.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
@KP: You can't clank moves in the air (as far as I know). Those only happen on ground.

Trading is like...when the hitboxes of each characters moves meet the hurtboxes of the characters they're trying to hit. I would assume that if the two hitboxes are out on the same frame that they meet, then that is when the trade happens (this is what I've inferred from playing, so take it with a grain of salt).

"or is it possible for fox to get hit by falcon's nair..and during the hitlag have his own nair complete and hit falcon?"

I don't think that this is possible. But I'm not an AR junkie.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I cannot understand the logic here at all. Lasers shut down options because they get frame disadvantage...they can also shut down approach options, out of shield options...etc etc...so why would you attempt to link attacks from your lasers if the opponent is good at dealing with lasers. I would think the exact opposite..if your opponent can deal with lasers you shouldn't be attempting illegitimate attacks and utilize the laser stun to make sure that you always have positional advantage.
Whoops, I actually just misspoke in that quote. I meant to say "...but I think linking into beneficial positions is the large majority of how you have to play..." Basically for the same reasons you said. Your attacks just won't link properly.

new question:

I was looking at the falcon hitboxes thread and realized that falcon seems to have decent frame data...enough to wall as well as marth if not for the lack of a disjointed sword that is not part of his body.
I was wondering if someone could explain the mechanisms behind trading in the air in melee.

for example, if both char are doing a move and the hitbox of one char collides with the other, will the other player's move stop happening? and is trading just the effect when both player's hitboxes collide with each other on the exact same frame? or is it possible for fox to get hit by falcon's nair..and during the hitlag have his own nair complete and hit falcon?

I really feel that falcon would be even with fox if his retreating nair didn't trade and cleanly hit all the time like marth's nair

edit: lol at marth's nair always cleanly hitting..but it's definitely cleaner than falcons
I've always thought that trades were just based off of frame-perfect hits for a couple reasons. One, it would explain why you get a lot of trades in dittos. Like the infamous Falcon chain of a nair trades when two Falcons just keeping nairing over and over. Their nairs just have the same priority, so in order for one to hit, it has to be exposed to the other. The other reason is that even though hitting on the same frame sounds unlikely given how often trades happen, you have to keep in mind hitboxes extend along with hurtboxes. That means if you have something like Falcon's nair, not only is his nair hurtbox coming out in front to hit the oppositions hurtbox, but his hurtbox on his leg is also being extended into the opponent's hitbox. Idk what you mean by the part about hitlag because as far as I know, the only thing that can happen during hitlag is SDI and teching. After hitlag, Fox is in stun from being hit, so there's no way his nair could still be out.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Trades occur on aerials and in the case of either move having transcendent priority. Basically it mostly only happens because aerial hitboxes can not physically interact with each other in anyway. The only other way for it to happen is for two very narrow and clankable hitboxes to land on both players' hurtboxes without touching the other's hitbox.

No clue how aerial moves and ground moves interact.

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
I know that, in SSB64, moves that do 8% more than others will always have more priority. This applies to both aerial-aerial and aerial-ground moves. I'm not sure if Melee works the same way, but it's possible.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
aerial vs. ground is the same as aerial to aerial. it's all spacing and nothing to do with power.

that is true for EVERY smash game

The Star King

Smash Hero
I know that, in SSB64, moves that do 8% more than others will always have more priority. This applies to both aerial-aerial and aerial-ground moves. I'm not sure if Melee works the same way, but it's possible.
No it's only ground vs. ground (one move goes through the other instead of clanking), and it works the same way in Melee except it's 10% I think (I forget what the % is in 64 but I'm not sure you're right about 8%)

Like I try to Fox jab Falcon and he USmashes and it goes through my jab with no lag (I see the little circle, like the circle that appears when you clank) and I'm like "**** you"

When an aerial is involved all that matters is hitboxes and hurtboxes

EDIT: Actually I forgot it's not just ground vs ground. There's also projectile vs. any other attack (and not projectiles with transcendent priority like lasers (or hurtboxes, like Link bombs?)

The Star King

Smash Hero
That's because Smash 64 was brought up and I happened to be around :cool:

Wait you should already know this from me posting about it in 64 discussion >_>

asianaussie

Smash Hero
if it was in the last 6 months then i probably didn't read it very carefully

and if it was from before then i probably don't remember it period

falco > fox guys

Akenero

Smash Apprentice
I think roy should be a lot higher...at least a couple of spots,he's got a fire element,and a on hit killer on all but the temple stage,which doesn't even have to be fully charged...

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
^not sure if trolling, or casual player. Either way, prepare for flaming. 1st: Roy sucks 2nd: Fire element doesn't do anything. 3rd: if you're a serious player, you will never play on temple stage, nor will you land fully charged B. (unless something stupid happens, like you 2v1ing your opponent and having them wobble them so you can land it. . . )

Roy sucks.

Roy really sucks.

Flame.

Top Bottom