• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official BBR Matchup Chart v1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
lol, ESAM hard overrates Pika's MUs. It should be -1, but Pika is still one of the better characters against MK.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I've said this before and I'll say it again, if people really believed that there was a single character who went even with MK, people would actually learn that character (especially considering its Pikachu, who also does well against Snake and Falco).

Unless the Brawl community is really so shallow as to ban a character that they can't beat without trying the most obvious solution to beating it...

Alternatives are:
a) Pikachu does go even with MK, but for some reason few people have decided to use Pikachu and/or they have all failed for some reason.
b) Pikachu doesn't go even with MK, the people who believed otherwise and tried using Pika found out they were wrong.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
@aerodrome
Peanut isn't about getting damage it is about pressuring your opponent. Lets say that they catch it then they have to something with it.

:phone:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Don't see why Pikachu is supposed to be even with ICs now but other than that Lucario, Olimar and Diddy seem to be his losing match-ups.

:059:

Cassio

Smash Master
I was simply stating what's on the new MU chart

honestly I think Pikachu's MU's are irrelevant. Because its either ESAM or the MU isn't really seen otherwise.
This was a rather dumb statement. You could say the same exact thing or worse about Ike or virtually any other character.

Why are you releasing so much information anyways when its a few days from release?

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Damn Ussi about to give away the whole damn chart. Calm down lmao.

zmx

Smash Lord
I believe I said earlier in this topic that if anyone went even with MK it'd be Pikachu. And the only reason more people don't pick up Pikachu to counter MK is because he's not an easy character to use at all imo. This would certainly explain why there are almost no top pikachus.

I don't see how any other character could make a case about going even with MK provided we are talking about any stage, not just neutrals.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
This was a rather dumb statement. You could say the same exact thing or worse about Ike or virtually any other character.

Why are you releasing so much information anyways when its a few days from release?
Well for Ike, it's San or Ryo or it's irrelevant. But anyways, just cause I think that, doesn't mean all of sudden Pika's MUs mean nothing.

Damn Ussi about to give away the whole damn chart. Calm down lmao.
I have too much free time :x

I'll be quiet now.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I believe I said earlier in this topic that if anyone went even with MK it'd be Pikachu. And the only reason more people don't pick up Pikachu to counter MK is because he's not an easy character to use at all imo. This would certainly explain why there are almost no top pikachus.

I don't see how any other character could make a case about going even with MK provided we are talking about any stage, not just neutrals.
So you think that Pikachu might go even with MK. Pikachu, who also does well against Snake and Falco, and doesn't lose too badly to the rest of top tier.

The only character who goes even with the most notorious character in Smash history, the only character to actually be banned at tournaments.

And the reason that NO ONE wins in the MU is because... Pikachu is too hard?

I don't buy it.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Im thoroughly disappointed that MK is apparently going to stay as a -2 for Yoshi. I WISH it was -2.

Aw well, having no -3s or -4s is cool I guess lol.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Soooo MU chart update tomorrow, or Christmas Day?

I'm anxious.
Not until the 26th at earliest :/ I was silly and forgot to consider that making a gigantic thread takes time when I said around christmas lol.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, if people really believed that there was a single character who went even with MK, people would actually learn that character (especially considering its Pikachu, who also does well against Snake and Falco).

Unless the Brawl community is really so shallow as to ban a character that they can't beat without trying the most obvious solution to beating it...

Alternatives are:
a) Pikachu does go even with MK, but for some reason few people have decided to use Pikachu and/or they have all failed for some reason.
b) Pikachu doesn't go even with MK, the people who believed otherwise and tried using Pika found out they were wrong.
So you think that Pikachu might go even with MK. Pikachu, who also does well against Snake and Falco, and doesn't lose too badly to the rest of top tier.

The only character who goes even with the most notorious character in Smash history, the only character to actually be banned at tournaments.

I don't buy it.
Basically what I think about Pika vs MK :p Although I will say that from reading their discussion and what I've observed in videos, Pikachu does do a good job of exploiting MK's weak aerial mobility with early thunder kills, and is also pretty good at avoiding some of MK's stronger traits (juggling, edgeguarding). A 0 was warranted enough through their discussion imo and it seemed like most people there agreed to it, so... yep.

Cassio

Smash Master
Well for Ike, it's San or Ryo or it's irrelevant. But anyways, just cause I think that, doesn't mean all of sudden Pika's MUs mean nothing.
My bad I misinterpreted what you said. Although I still disagree somewhat.

I don't buy it.
I think you have to consider that sometimes the proficiency requirements are too much for practical purposes for a certain level of success. Like, maybe not even just weeks or months, but potentially years. At least thats the true trend with most pikas who have seen success, and theres certainly been precedence for these sorts of characters.
Grim Tuesday said:
:troll:
although my idea of the solution is different

Cassio

Smash Master
You have to be good with pikachu first before that can even become relevant. Im not saying its definitely true, but the evidence to support that statement is pretty clear.

Also I think if you invalidate one of pikas MUs that way then you pretty much have to disregard all high level success of pika when discussing any of his MUs, and at that point he may as well not even be top tier.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
It went to a final panel that resolves disputes since there was no consensus, and the majority vote on that panel went to +/-2. A lot of MUs had no consensus and were resolved this way, which was pretty unfortunate imo, but what else can ya do :/

:phone:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
They probably agreed for the Pikas because no one wants to argue against brick walls. :applejack:

Browny

Smash Hater
omgawd totally cant wait for the outcome months of headaches and hundreds, if not thousands of hours of BBR work to make a chart that changes nothing and majority of players will ignore since they dont agree with it, and the reasons are hidden for the public.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Yo, we're actually writing out reasonings behind the match-ups this cycle. ._.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
omgawd totally cant wait for the outcome months of headaches and hundreds, if not thousands of hours of BBR work to make a chart that changes nothing and majority of players will ignore since they dont agree with it, and the reasons are hidden for the public.
I miss the days where you werent just a dried out husk of a BBR troll. Back when you made legitamate posts that I enjoyed reading.

Cassio

Smash Master
omgawd totally cant wait for the outcome months of headaches and hundreds, if not thousands of hours of BBR work to make a chart that changes nothing and majority of players will ignore since they dont agree with it.
Totally dude. In fact Im surprised anyone can find this 500 page thread to begin with given how ignored it was.
They probably agreed for the Pikas because no one wants to argue against brick walls. :applejack:
Except that we didnt have many disputes anyways.
It was pathetic how they got -2 too.
iirc the yoshis themselves werent even uniform about wanting -3.

Browny

Smash Hater
lol you guys still think I honestly care about this. I stopped caring about getting into the BBR in 2009 guys.

These 500 pages are full of people disagreeing, or to look at it another way, ignoring the actual chart and discussing why things are the way they think they are. The chart could never exist and the thread called 'official matchup discussion thread' and it would be identical. Do you not see that? The chart serves as a reference point only, but everyone ignores it and uses their own reference point, as per their personal experiences.

If you guys are honestly going to be releasing all the justification, then THANK GOD FOR THAT. Not doing it for the first chart was a colossal mistake and has wasted everyones time into the tens of thousands of hours collective. This chart might actually be useful now, since no longer is a seemingly arbitrary -1, +2 etc a reference point, now we might have multiple pages of legitimate, informed discussion (ie; everything this thread isnt) to base our opinions off.

It still takes far too long though, for something that changes nothing. I see no reason why this takes so long, you could have done 2 iterations to get it to version 3, in the time it takes you to get to version 2. If you take long to consider everything and try to get it right as much as possible, thats a futile excersise, things change and you cant ever predict future matchup trends. Would get closer to an accurate representation of the game, if you iterated this chart every 6 months or so, that way you can correct the new mistakes as you make them, twice as fast instead of the public having to refer to some very outdated chart.

Browny

Smash Hater
quite right grim, now tell me. Would you have learnt any less, if the chart in the OP had every square replaced by a ?

my problem with this is the sheer amount of time between updates, when many of these matchups have been declared 'wrong' since day 1, but apparently we are forced to live with it for almost 10 months. instead of the BBR spending say, 2,000 hours and 10 months to update the chart in one big shot, it should be 2 lots of 1,000 hour, 5 month intervals. Same amount of work input with a more relevant and accurate chart for many more months of the year.

If they make a mistake with the 5 month interval chart, it doesnt matter, since it will be corrected in 6 months. This is not countered by simply not making mistakes in a 10 month interval, because that is IMPOSSIBLE and potentially more inaccurate as older data is considered instead of erasing everything that is less than 6 months old.

this threads length, and the amount of time discussing ratios which have had no relevance since 2010, is just... amazing. in a bad way.

Cassio

Smash Master
Well, inform everyone when you decide to fund the time spent on creating a MU chart in one month. In the meantime people will discuss things when they have free time because everyone has a life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom