• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Officially Banned!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
Yea when was that tournament again? Was it a whole month after the original release of the ban happening in January? Cause that's plenty of time to learn new characters especially when you are in school with the semester winding down......

please look at the live streams available today..... Not only is there two available with MK banned, one of them is concentrate LOL

Concentrate is a series, not sure if it's a monthly or not but it has a flow to it.
There have been plenty of other MK banned events if you also look @ results.

I can't believe you even posted that when you have to pass concentrate on your way down to post anything XDDDD.

Judo777

Smash Master

please look at the live streams available today..... Not only is there two available with MK banned, one of them is concentrate LOL

Concentrate is a series, not sure if it's a monthly or not but it has a flow to it.
There have been plenty of other MK banned events if you also look @ results.

I can't believe you even posted that when you have to pass concentrate on your way down to post anything XDDDD.
How does that change the fact the info on the ban was only released 2 months ago. Idc if the tournament happened AGAIN TODAY with the same results. It still isn't enough time for people to learn new characters and for the metagame to shift. MK banned tournaments don't matter before 2 months ago, no one knew for sure MK would get banned. They didn't drop their main at that instant and pick up a new one and then practice for 4 months or w/e.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
How does that change the fact the info on the ban was only released 2 months ago. Idc if the tournament happened AGAIN TODAY with the same results. It still isn't enough time for people to learn new characters and for the metagame to shift. MK banned tournaments don't matter before 2 months ago, no one knew for sure MK would get banned. They didn't drop their main at that instant and pick up a new one and then practice for 4 months or w/e.
this is true. but players who understand the game still do well. nairo was easily able to pick up falco and DK and do well at his 2nd concentrate :|

dont get me wrong the metagame will shift however brawl is not that complex of a game

Judo777

Smash Master
this is true. but players who understand the game still do well. nairo was easily able to pick up falco and DK and do well at his 2nd concentrate :|

dont get me wrong the metagame will shift however brawl is not that complex of a game
Yes I know. And don't get me wrong I'm not saying that this isn't somewhat reflective of what is to come because it might be. But I will say that we don't really know for sure. Some good players are good for different reasons and some of those easily transfer to other characters. Nairo did very well with Falco and his talent showed.

But I do think it is safe to say that many of the players there were slightly stunted, and it is expected that people who didn't have to switch will do very well (Dabuz was already on the rise and everyone else not being ale to play their recent main gave him a slight boost I'm sure). From the one I watched it seemed like like top 4 at least were all people who did not previously main MK (well this excludes Ally because Ally was a Snake main for a very long time and his MK switch was more recent).

This is all speculation all I'm saying is for others (not you) to calm down because we really don't know what the game is gonna be like yet.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Well, Americans do have the nasty habit of choosing a character because they are considered top tier or the best, which would explain why so many people were using him.

The ban was justifiable. Since Nintendo cannot patch their games like other companies and games can (UMvC3 for example) then we are pretty much stuck with whatever mechanics that were shipped with the game, much like how old arcade games were like. Back in the day, you had to stick with the game and work around it. This is the US way of working around with it.

MK did really well in tournies. A bit too well. He had no negative matchups. He worked well on all stages. No one even came close to how effective he was.

Japanese and European players will just scoff at this ban. However, we are not forcing this ban on any of these communities. So why scoff? We have our own ways to deal with problems. This is what the higher ups saw fit.

Like it or lump it.

Besides, let us not forget that since MK is banned, some of the top players won't do well anymore. Not true. The top players will still reign supreme, since they have a deep understanding of the game and how it works. Not only that, but I'm pretty sure they anticipated that this would happen, so they decided to become even more adept with different characters. We might see some new faces, or lose some, but players will keep on coming to the tournies to compete because they love the game, and love the competition.

Who knows? Maybe the competition will be even more fierce? Maybe the usage of characters will be more balanced. Maybe not. But there is only one way to know for sure, and that is to move forward.

Govikings07

Smash Journeyman
I almost gave up brawl because of the dominance of mk players in socal. Got annoying playing mks after mks until i moved to Arizona <3 more diverse character selection. Ppl rely on mk way too much -_- its sad

:phone:

Doc King

Smash Lord
I almost gave up brawl because of the dominance of mk players in socal. Got annoying playing mks after mks until i moved to Arizona <3 more diverse character selection. Ppl rely on mk way too much -_- its sad

That's because mk was the only viable character before he was banned.

Govikings07

Smash Journeyman
But even pocket mks -_- if you beat their so called mains they had pocket mks. I have only respect for high mid and low tiers. i wanted the diverse scene and Arizona has it. Only have like 2 mks. We shall all be ready for the mk ban when we start going to cali events <3

Doc King

Smash Lord
The first apex was won by a current meta knight main.

Just putting that on the record.
Jebus, once again losses to an argument.

Also just to point out, Apex isn't the only important Brawl tournament series in the world you know.

TKD

Smash Lord
Well, Americans do have the nasty habit of choosing a character because they are considered top tier or the best, which would explain why so many people were using him.

The ban was justifiable. Since Nintendo cannot patch their games like other companies and games can (UMvC3 for example) then we are pretty much stuck with whatever mechanics that were shipped with the game, much like how old arcade games were like. Back in the day, you had to stick with the game and work around it. This is the US way of working around with it.

MK did really well in tournies. A bit too well. He had no negative matchups. He worked well on all stages. No one even came close to how effective he was.

Japanese and European players will just scoff at this ban. However, we are not forcing this ban on any of these communities. So why scoff? We have our own ways to deal with problems. This is what the higher ups saw fit.

Like it or lump it.

Besides, let us not forget that since MK is banned, some of the top players won't do well anymore. Not true. The top players will still reign supreme, since they have a deep understanding of the game and how it works. Not only that, but I'm pretty sure they anticipated that this would happen, so they decided to become even more adept with different characters. We might see some new faces, or lose some, but players will keep on coming to the tournies to compete because they love the game, and love the competition.

Who knows? Maybe the competition will be even more fierce? Maybe the usage of characters will be more balanced. Maybe not. But there is only one way to know for sure, and that is to move forward.
Great way to look at it.

The reason several top players want MK allowed is because we want to learn how to beat him. Either that or we play him, and have pride in the effort it takes us to win even as him (it's only as easy as people make it sound to be when the opposition slacks off!).

Brawl is still Brawl, and I look forward to more people now recognizing our skill, even if I do think it shows and pays as or against MK, or without him. I just hope IC have lots of bad match-ups.

If the ban does go down, I guess we'll never truly know how MK's match-ups go at peak level, but who had the patience to wait for this besides players who were actually trying to reach it?

ManicRaider

Smash Cadet
What is the "The Unity Ruleset Committee" and who gives them the authority to ban characters? Is this something officially done by Nintendo or is this a fan-made thing?

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
They are a group of people who host tourneys that decided to run one unified ruleset. They decided in the tourneys they run, MK is banned. If you want to play MK, attend tourneys not running the unity ruleset or host your own, simple as that.

Nintendo doesn't give a damn about competitive brawl, and no one is stopping you from using MK against your friends.

Thino

Smash Master
What is the "The Unity Ruleset Committee" and who gives them the authority to ban characters? Is this something officially done by Nintendo or is this a fan-made thing?
It is fan made of course.

That's why they have a certain authority on how tournaments, that are also fan made, should be run.

Note that this is only for tournaments and so far only for the U.S and Canada, it doesn't affect friendlies, casuals, Wifi and anything that doesn't involve a tournament.

Titanium Dragon

Smash Journeyman
The best argument for banning metaknight is not that he is too good (he is) but because he fundamentally breaks the game. His mechanics result in him being able to do things that he simply should not be able to do, and resulted in a lot of artificial rules being created to keep him legal. The fact that he could make himself invincible was really probably the first sign that he probably would not be long for the game.

The reality is, though, that the Smash community has a lot of problems. Too many stages are banned or otherwise unusable in most tournaments in both Melee and Brawl, and its the result of narrow-minded thinking on the part of the players, as well as various issues with the games resulting in certain categories of stages giving some characters 0-death combos that break the game (thanks DeDeDe). All items are banned because they are "random", again the result of certain players making decisions that are based on their feelings rather than actual gameplay considerations.

In reality all competitive smash is played using large sets of imaginary rules, many of which change the game in important ways and could be viewed as, and probably are, scrubby. Yelling about them banning a character is silly, given that the game already is played using imaginary rules, and the very fact that there is a rule about how many times you can grab the edge of a stage speaks volumes about the state of the game in the first place.

All that being said, it was probably the right decision.

NNID
Budget_Player
That's because mk was the only viable character before he was banned.
This is ludicrous and you should damn well know it. Debatably, everyone down to TL or Peach is viable. Everyone in A tier is definitely viable. You might as well have said "Jigglypuff is the only viable character in Melee" during the reign of Hungrybox and Mang0. :glare:

The best argument for banning metaknight is not that he is too good (he is) but because he fundamentally breaks the game. His mechanics result in him being able to do things that he simply should not be able to do, and resulted in a lot of artificial rules being created to keep him legal. The fact that he could make himself invincible was really probably the first sign that he probably would not be long for the game.

The reality is, though, that the Smash community has a lot of problems. Too many stages are banned or otherwise unusable in most tournaments in both Melee and Brawl, and its the result of narrow-minded thinking on the part of the players, as well as various issues with the games resulting in certain categories of stages giving some characters 0-death combos that break the game (thanks DeDeDe). All items are banned because they are "random", again the result of certain players making decisions that are based on their feelings rather than actual gameplay considerations.

In reality all competitive smash is played using large sets of imaginary rules, many of which change the game in important ways and could be viewed as, and probably are, scrubby. Yelling about them banning a character is silly, given that the game already is played using imaginary rules, and the very fact that there is a rule about how many times you can grab the edge of a stage speaks volumes about the state of the game in the first place.

How can one hate and love someone so much simultaneously? Your post was amazing, but MK's mechanics do not break the game beyond IDC, and maybe planking.

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace

Wanting the game to be played a certain way is not narrowmindedness but simply preference. On a philosophical level the positive value that you (and BPC) assign to complexity is completely arbitrary and has nothing to do with ''competiveness''. On a practical level it's ridiculous because a majority don't want to play a silly game revolving around learning a bunch of stupid stages and items that divert the attention from what people actually enjoy about smash. But hey at least the community wouldn't be troubled if your visions were realised, because there wouldn't be one.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
On a practical level it's ridiculous because no one would want to play a stupid ****ing game revolving around learning a bunch of stupid stages and items that divert the attention from what people actually enjoy about the game.
The ISP peeps would love to have a word with you.

You should be saying that you're speaking for a majority, not for everybody.

Smooth Criminal

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace
The ISP peeps would love to have a word with you.

You should be saying that you're speaking for a majority, not for everybody.

Smooth Criminal
True dat. Mai bad. Btw what does ISP peeps mean? Are they nice people? If so I wouldn't mind having a chat with them. Perhaps we could discuss DDD's slope infinites or something.

Doc King

Smash Lord
This is ludicrous and you should damn well know it. Debatably, everyone down to TL or Peach is viable. Everyone in A tier is definitely viable. You might as well have said "Jigglypuff is the only viable character in Melee" during the reign of Hungrybox and Mang0. :glare:

How can one hate and love someone so much simultaneously? Your post was amazing, but MK's mechanics do not break the game beyond IDC, and maybe planking.
Definitely not Peach. Peach isn't even close to domination in a mk legal metagame. She gets hard countered by mk, along with many disadvantages against the top and high tiers. MK pretty much was the only viable character. That's one of the biggest reasons why he was banned. Characters like Snake and Diddy were alright, but they weren't good enough to beat mk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom