• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MELEE-FC10R Legacy...is done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

baka4moé

Smash Champion
yea these blocks of text are getting annoying, if anything reducing hype imo. discuss those things somewhere else please, it seems its just u two that care about what ur saying.

mura and john, i like ur posts though. yea it would suck if i (tho i wont make it that far lol) lost hundreds of dollars to a freakin klaptrap or birdo egg.

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
Hey, I was just looking at the pdf for the rules and general info. Is there a way to not enter certain events with the flat rate or do you plan to do regular registration where you select events you want to enter?

I haven't really kept up with this thread to see what you've said about this. All I see is tl;dr everywhere!

Btw, the pdf says Metaknight is banned in 64 lol. That guy overcenteralizes 64 too?!

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Yeah we determined in 2007 that Meta Knight was overpowered in Smash 64.

Metà

Smash Master
we've also been having much more diverse results at melee nationals since the MBR decided to ban him

EDIT: does anyone have any stats on how often the klap trap appears on japes? I've been trying to find a pattern, but so far it just seems completely random. I think this breaks your 'turnip threshold' or whatever. it's literally a one-hit KO with little to no warning, that can get you as soon as you set foot near the ledge or try to recover from underneath. I just don't understand how that warrants inclusion at a national, i really don't......

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
the klaptrap will appear every 20ish seconds, with a deviation of 7ish seconds. it is random, but not completely.
additionally, the stage hazard discourages ledge camping, so i can't see much of a reason to ban it specifically for the klaptrap.

Metà

Smash Master
it also punishes people with instant death for being back-thrown at the wrong time

don't get me wrong, the anti-camping thing is fine (even though i like to ledge-camp lol), but it's pretty ridiculous how much of a threat it can be at the worst possible times

PEEF!

Smash Hero
the klaptrap will appear every 20ish seconds, with a deviation of 7ish seconds. it is random, but not completely.
additionally, the stage hazard discourages ledge camping, so i can't see much of a reason to ban it specifically for the klaptrap.
Randomly, but not entirely? Could you give me an example of an entirely random stage hazard?

Kal

Smash Champion
Icicle Mountain's vertical movement is also random, I think.

To people QQing about there being walls of text: why don't you just... not read it? You're not exactly contributing by just pointing out that you dislike what's being written.

Meta, whether something "breaks the turnip threshold" is difficult to actually show. But an important thing to note is that the Klaptrap can be accounted for a meaningful way (specifically, by avoiding the locations where he attacks), which suggests that his impact is minimal. And, from what I've seen, no good player who knows what he's doing has anything to worry about with regards to that particular stage hazard.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Randomly, but not entirely? Could you give me an example of an entirely random stage hazard?
Who knows if melee even has one. I haven't taken the time to check every hazard in all the banned stages. A fully random hazard would have the possibility for having 2 back to back instances of randomness as well as possibly have a very long gap between instances. Creators probably saw this as a problem and made things pseudorandom

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
i wouldn't call it a hazard, but how does the game choose which transformation to go to on stadium? cause it feels like some matches you will ONLY get the rock stage when it does happen, but other matches it'll certainly flip between the other elements. is it some sort of rotation, or is that random?

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Who knows if melee even has one. I haven't taken the time to check every hazard in all the banned stages. A fully random hazard would have the possibility for having 2 back to back instances of randomness as well as possibly have a very long gap between instances. Creators probably saw this as a problem and made things pseudorandom
That was my point. Saying that something isn't "entirely" random doesn't make it any less substantial or game-changing.

Kal

Smash Champion
The issue isn't really about randomness. It's about the impact of the hazard, how well it can be accounted for, and how much it decreases the consistency of results. If the cloud were actually random, it wouldn't really matter, because its impact on gameplay is pretty small. On the other hand, if every 45 seconds, a Shy Guy came by and killed the player with more stock (completely non-random), that would probably qualify Yoshi's Story for a ban.

In the midst of this argument, people get caught up on the randomness. It's important, but isn't the entirety of the issue.

Big_R

Smash Champion
there's an intricate design as to why this tourny will be called what it is and i have happily never understood it at all.

Kal

Smash Champion
I think it should be called FCexy. No one will know whether it's pronounced "eff siexy" or "eff sexy." Or "eff see ee ex why." Man, phonetically writing out how **** is pronounced is really annoying.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I could explain the name of the tournament and the distinction between legacy and 10R, but I think that would ruin some of the fun.

Battlecow

Play to Win
I really don't like the idea that in order to participate in the 64 side event I have to pay the full $85 and stay for three days. The apex way, where you pay venue and event fees, making it cheaper for everyone except the people playing 9 events, and payouts go according to number of entrants, and where small side events can be done in a day--saving everyone lots of time--is pretty obviously superior.

The way it works here, I'm essentially subsidizing events that I don't particularly care about (not that I bear them animosity or anything), wasting money on food that I may or may not even want to eat, and spending 3 days (two of which I'll have to skip work for because what the **** monday and tuesday tournament) and 3 nights' worth of lodging even though most of the people in my event would probably much rather be gone after one or two.

Not trying to come off as whiny, but I hope future tournaments will take note and allow more customizable tournament experiences and less stupid experimental ****.

MeatIsMURDER

Smash Ace
the johnning is getting out of control
exactly what I was gunna say

if you guys don't like it then don't come, this is the midwest and this is how we do it
you can break our banks but you will NEVER break our spirit and traditions

I actually found the exact reason that the Kishes are using for the rulest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szn0VqSa61Q#t=0m8s
peef gets it

and if you STILL have a problem, ****ign deal with it. Shut up, pick fox or falcon, and play, because every other character is boring anyway

Kal

Smash Champion
It's true. All forms of testing are necessarily useless.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
It's true. All forms of testing are necessarily useless.
I agree. It's why I never try new things with Donkey Kong. Nothing new I try could possibly be useful compared to what I've been doing.

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
I really don't like the idea that in order to participate in the 64 side event I have to pay the full $85 and stay for three days. The apex way, where you pay venue and event fees, making it cheaper for everyone except the people playing 9 events, and payouts go according to number of entrants, and where small side events can be done in a day--saving everyone lots of time--is pretty obviously superior.

The way it works here, I'm essentially subsidizing events that I don't particularly care about (not that I bear them animosity or anything), wasting money on food that I may or may not even want to eat, and spending 3 days (two of which I'll have to skip work for because what the **** monday and tuesday tournament) and 3 nights' worth of lodging even though most of the people in my event would probably much rather be gone after one or two.

Not trying to come off as whiny, but I hope future tournaments will take note and allow more customizable tournament experiences and less stupid experimental ****.
But now you might as well enter melee since it is primarily a melee event :bee: $85 is def kinda steep for someone primarily interested in 64, but it'll be worth it for the experience of a classic huge tournament experience. Multi-day tournaments are the ****. I don't remember if I told you about my day 2 APEX experience, but it was the ****. It was a like a vacation within a vacation.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
wasting money on food that I may or may not even want to eat
I can vouch for the food being good at FC3 & 6. I mean it's not like it was a sit down restaurant or anything, but I enjoyed it. Then again, I have no idea how picky of an eater you are.

The catering is there to lessen the blow of the overall price, as you have meals built in. When you prepare meals in bulk like that it brings down the cost lower than fast food and the like. It's also good that they have these meals because it means that you don't have to drive somewhere to get food. I honestly think that it's a great thing and should be done at other large events whenever feasible, but that's just me.

Metà

Smash Master
has anyone addressed battlecow and dart's issue? I think this is really important, $85 IS hella steep for someone only interested in entering select events. is there any way you guys can compromise with people like that? I'm only saying this cause I think it would really help boost attendance in all events. that and I'm hoping there is some way that people can enter both brawl singles and 64 singles, or 64 and PM or whatnot >____>

KishSquared

Smash Master
There are logistics to consider, if we ran FC such that everyone could enter everything then it would take 5 days. We'd all love to enable everyone to enter everything. If you want to enable everyone to enter everything, then please look at the schedule and offer a solution to the logistical problem it would create :)

Brawl players will be able to enter both singles and doubles. 64 and PM will not be able to overlap.

EDIT: I'll let Prime answer the entry fee question since he's intimate with the budgeting. I'm really not sure what you mean by 'experimental'... FC has always been run this way. The experiment was over in 2004 :D

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
has anyone addressed battlecow and dart's issue? I think this is really important, $85 IS hella steep for someone only interested in entering select events. is there any way you guys can compromise with people like that? I'm only saying this cause I think it would really help boost attendance in all events. that and I'm hoping there is some way that people can enter both brawl singles and 64 singles, or 64 and PM or whatnot >____>
Unfortunately those three tournaments are going on simultaneously, so there's no real way to work that out.

What I'm sure you realize is that you're primarily paying for the venue, staff, TVs, security, and the right to play friendlies with 200-300 other people for 3 days. Even if we broke it out separately, it'd still be close to that because we'd have to charge more for the individual events to make sure we pulled in enough to cover the base costs. A flat fee makes planning easier, and that helps the event on all levels from staff to participants.

There are around 20 hours in the schedule where events will take up 0-60% of systems. Friendlies will be abundant. Bringing TVs and systems will both lower the cost for you and provide more friendlies for all. We'll buy additional TVs for pretty much as many systems as people can bring, no joke. It'll be a 3-day Smash party.

We're reviewing the budget one last time before registration launches, but that's about where the entry fee is going to be, I suspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom