• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MELEE-FC10R Legacy...is done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I might be willing to come up with a separate assessment in which the characters are weighed based on popularity for novelty's sake, but I wouldn't use this to create a ruleset. I wouldn't use character balance to create a ruleset, period, but even if I were going to do this, I would certainly not be so silly as to focus it on the current metagame vis-à-vis how often characters are played. It seems unfair to ban a stage with justification that falls down to "sorry, not enough people play Roy, so the fact that everyone destroys him on this stage is irrelevant."

But I do look forward to you mining information. It would be nice to have some actual statistics to make use of, rather than to simply spitball fake-statistics that usually just reaffirm the bias of whoever is making them.
While I agree theoretically with the notion of approaching the game in a vacuum, the reality does imply there is a significant difference in character ability that can't be accounted for by skill alone. Characters like Mario will never do as well as Fox overall, and it isn't just straight up popularity. Because of this, if Mario has 10 good stages and 2 bad ones, or 10 bad ones and 2 good ones, there will be relatively low changes to the metagame. However the amount of stages available to Fox that are good/bad does have a direct impact on the metagame, so mindlessly using data on all characters might not be appropriate.

Personally I'd just make an arbitrary cut off point for either a place on their list or a place in popularity at major tournaments (like if Ganon was used 10% of the time but the next most popular was Peach at 2% of the time, that'd be a good cutoff) to give more accurate and usable information.

baka4moé

Smash Champion
Bad characters go back to being bad.
Why is this respectable and/or conducive to competition? They're still bad in the MBR5 ruleset, but just have more of a chance for skilled players that use "bad" characters to win.

I've heard plenty of times (and agree) that nowadays, at high level play, character matchups aren't as important as who's just actually the better player. I like this mindset, and I honestly think the FC ruleset takes away from this.

Kal

Smash Champion
While I agree theoretically with the notion of approaching the game in a vacuum, the reality does imply there is a significant difference in character ability that can't be accounted for by skill alone. Characters like Mario will never do as well as Fox overall, and it isn't just straight up popularity. Because of this, if Mario has 10 good stages and 2 bad ones, or 10 bad ones and 2 good ones, there will be relatively low changes to the metagame. However the amount of stages available to Fox that are good/bad does have a direct impact on the metagame, so mindlessly using data on all characters might not be appropriate.
But this is strictly an issue of popularity. If Mario has enough stages that are good enough to send him into high tier position in a particular ruleset, the sheer fact that he is played less often should not change this. And the sheer fact that Fox is played more often should not impact how much the game is imbalanced with a certain ruleset. If, for example, there were some imaginary stagelist where Pichu, Bowser and Kirby dominated to the point of brokenness, I would not be willing to dismiss this fact just because these characters are not frequently used.

I agree, however, that pragmatically, this can be a problem. Even if it's technically not imbalanced, players can become quite frustrated when a character with advantages they dislike becomes popular.

Personally I'd just make an arbitrary cut off point for either a place on their list or a place in popularity at major tournaments (like if Ganon was used 10% of the time but the next most popular was Peach at 2% of the time, that'd be a good cutoff) to give more accurate and usable information.
I would be willing to agree, at least insofar as we can consider this information accurate. It's hard to accurately assess how good Peach is against Game & Watch on most stages, let alone the less used stages, because Game & Watch is so underdeveloped.

It just irks me to consider something that has literally nothing to do with balance when calculating balance. It would be more of a "this is the most balanced ruleset assuming characters are played in this proportion." Which is fine, but depends entirely on the metagame (specifically, how popular each character is). I would be disappointed if some rule were made in this interest simply because a character is underplayed of overplayed.

I am also ranting somewhat. Sorry. Not really sure what the overall "point" I'm trying to make is yet.

Also, I would consider it a terrible idea to weigh based on how "good" a character is. How good a character is a function of the stagelist, so the logic becomes somewhat circular if you proceed in this way.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Well you can't just calculate balance in that fashion. If you went to gather the data and saw that Fox has the most favorable stages while Mario has the least, you can't assert their placings are directly a result of that. Since character strength does matter, it has to be assessed separately and then used as a variable when assessing what stages could be considered "fair" in various matchups. When it comes down to it, some character or character type will have an advantage. If we found a way to make all of the top/high tiers have the same number of good / bad stages in a starter list, thus allowing every stage striking section to truly end on a "neutral" for that matchup in particular it'd be a large boon to the game. Not sure if it's possible though.

I would like to note that I don't think the data should be used to necessarily ban stages except for the case of massive overcentralization, and rather just to determine possible starting stages and the impact it'd have on a character. I'm a firm believer in a ruleset that doesn't account for character strength directly but rather keeps as much of the game intact as possible and lets the chips fall as they may.

Also, I would consider it a terrible idea to weigh based on how "good" a character is. How good a character is a function of the stagelist, so the logic becomes somewhat circular if you proceed in this way.
Not entirely. Bowser will never, on any stage, be better than Sheik. He's just a worse character. While he might be slightly better or worse on certain stages, it is possible to objectively rank the two amongst each other with a clear winner.

Kal

Smash Champion
What you're suggesting, that one character is "objectively better on the given stages," is fine. This doesn't mean that how good a character is is not a function of the stage list. To make this clear: Bowser is objectively worse than Fox. But how good Fox is is determined by whether Hyrule is legal in the following sense: Fox is better with Hyrule legal than he is with Hyrule banned. And so we see that the logic is somewhat circular when you assume character strength sans stagelist in order to determine balance.

Also, I would take no issue with you using this data to try and determine a good starting stage list. I personally don't feel a starting stage list is necessary, since the number of stages you have available for use is a measure of character strength, and we have a system in place (the strike system) to account for overwhelmingly unfair stage choices. The distinction between "starter" and "counterpick" only exists because we used to choose the first stage randomly. It's archaic, if you ask me.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
Why is this respectable and/or conducive to competition? They're still bad in the MBR5 ruleset, but just have more of a chance for skilled players that use "bad" characters to win.

I've heard plenty of times (and agree) that nowadays, at high level play, character matchups aren't as important as who's just actually the better player. I like this mindset, and I honestly think the FC ruleset takes away from this.
But in the end, its not the stages fault. It gives an advantage to characters that already have an advantage, and whether you think a stage should be able to do that is where the argument lies in my opinion.
so you don't think stages shouldn't be allowed to do that. a respectable side of the argument to the question i posed.

i also agree that matches at the highest level are much more player based than character based. but at the same time, watching sets like WF from oxy make me think "damn...it's REALLY hard for falcon to approach around falco's uptilt..."

PEEF!

Smash Hero
If I understand Overswarms post, we should have some players who play certain (more popular) characters make lists like I did a few earlier.

Your character vs another popular character/group of characters. How would banning/striking typically play out? BlackChris? Dart? Anyone else who plays in tourneys a bunch? We could figure this out pretty quickly.

EDIT: Good thing Kal isn't here to see your posts about objectivity, Kal! =P

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
i think if we could strike first match from mbr5, and ban 3 stages from the full list of CPs and such, it'd be fine.

i'm more afraid of STRIKING to mk2 than i am of being CP'd there or something.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
i think if we could strike first match from mbr5, and ban 3 stages from the full list of CPs and such, it'd be fine.

i'm more afraid of STRIKING to mk2 than i am of being CP'd there or something.
This is a good thought, but I think it would slow things down a bunch.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
he bans: Brinstar
I ban: Cruise, Japes
he bans: battlefield, Dreamland
I ban: mk2, stadium

and that leaves: mute city, fountain, and FD, and yoshi's. none of which are particularly terrible for ganon, but none of which i'd like to be on compared to something like

he bans: dreamland
I ban: FD and fountain
He chooses: yoshi's or battlefield

edit: this is what i imagine happening. of course it depends on the fox and how much they like neutral stages, but i THINK this would give the best outcome for both players considering the way fox plays in the current metagame.

Kal

Smash Champion
Haha, just wait till the event starts.

"It's not fair, I was in the middle of a combo and the boat started moving. How could I have possibly predicted that the ****ing boat would start moving?"

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
I honestly don't understand why you guys are so set on having these wack stages legal. The stages were banned over a long period of time and after a lot of debate, and the community gradually came to accept and like the modern ruleset. You've essentially decided to throw that all out the window and give us some vague statement about you talking this over with a lot of people all over the nation.

I'd like to know who specifically thought running a ruleset with stages that haven't been used since the end of 09 would be a good idea. Shouldn't a national tournament run a stage list that the community is at least somewhat familiar with? Most these stages have been banned since Pound 4, and Rainbow/Brinstar have been banned since Genesis 2. Please, please, please rethink this and run the MBR ruleset. The ruleset isn't going to ruin the experience of being at FC or anything, but it's going to seriously take away from the competitveness of the actual tournament sets, since dumb stages that skew match-ups will be legal. I know you're allowing 3 bans for each player, but that's basically so people don't have to put up with the stupid stages that have been made legal! Why don't you just skip the middleman and run a normal ruleset with stages that people are actually used to.

Kal

Smash Champion
You want something that isn't vague? Go here or here. Your points have been addressed in depth. And you should consider it nice that the event is only running eleven stages if you so prefer the MBR ruleset. Kish probably would have wanted more stages, and only compromised to increase the attendance of people who hate the non-starter stages.

ORLY

Smash Master
people don't seem to grasp that you can very easily strike down to (effectively banning everything but) the MBR ruleset for the entire set, if you and your opponent so wishes.

it's really a cool method for strikes / bans.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
well yeah, that's really cool. you can also almost single handedly strike the whole mbr5 ruleset. that's the part that's...not quite as cool.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
You want something that isn't vague? Go here or here. Your points have been addressed in depth. And you should consider it nice that the event is only running eleven stages if you so prefer the MBR ruleset. Kish probably would have wanted more stages, and only compromised to increase the attendance of people who hate the non-starter stages.
To tl;dr those threads it's basically an argument over what people consider to be scrubby and not. Kal will argue that not liking "x" stage is scrubbiness, and that the fact that most of the community dislikes those stages means that the majority of the community is scrubby.

To me the "scrubbiness" argument isn't convincing because 1. Ideas of scrubbiness are subjective, and 2. Denouncing the majority to uphold an unpopular opinion of "non-scrubbiness" is highly undesirable.

I say let things play out as they may. If these stages aren't whack and if the game is made better by their inclusion, then it'll be made evident in the tournament results.

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
That's all well and good that he wants to preserve as much of the game as possible, but he's still making a drastic change to the ruleset 3 months before the tournament. Almost certainly people will have no recent tournament experience on a lot of these stages since no tournament ****ing runs these stages anymore.

people don't seem to grasp that you can very easily strike down to (effectively banning everything but) the MBR ruleset for the entire set, if you and your opponent so wishes.

it's really a cool method for strikes / bans.
Yeah but if your opponent wants to jank it up for one reason or another, they'll just use their bans on neutrals and one of the Counterpicks WILL be a ******** stage.

baka4moé

Smash Champion
iirc the mbr ruleset says u can play on an illegal stage if both players agree. that seems to take care of the part where if u and ur opponent want to go to jank stages. i agree with stab on this...

so you don't think stages shouldn't be allowed to do that. a respectable side of the argument to the question i posed.
i dont get why anyone would think stages should be allowed to do that (im assuming by "that" we mean adding outside dynamics that favor certain characters over others?). in all other fighting game competitions the stages dont change anything.

ugh yeah the whole trip may be fun but sets wont be taken as seriously from what i can see

EDIT: i still want to know who the TOs conferred with when deciding these stages..

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
well, that just depends on how you define melee. if, as some would define melee, you would call it a platform fighter, then a characters ability to work around a stage should be a part of the game. as long as the stage isn't busted as far as hazards go, then a stage, no matter its composition, should be available.

personally, i don't like japes because water/claptrap. i don't like mk2 because only approach is obvious and walkoff sides. i don't mind brinstar because lava tends to help me more, but that's floaty bias lol. and i honestly don't know what to think about mute city, cause i'm too new to have dealt with it. i just know i won't be wavelanding everywhere like i do on battlefield, and that ledgedash -> things won't matter because ledges don't exist.

overall, these stages push the limits, but i don't mind them. especially since i can ban 3 of them.

i'm just glad floats ain't here, or else i'd just be like fffffffff

edit: to really answer the question, if the mobility of the character is something that should be factored within the realm of the fight and not outside the realm of the fight, then there's not much to complain about except for hazards. especially when it comes to something like japes/cruise/others. i really like the stage's structure until i get eaten by water during my up B or i'm ledge stalling looking for an opening and suddenly i'm dead because i left a frame open.

Kal

Smash Champion
To tl;dr those threads it's basically an argument over what people consider to be scrubby and not. Kal will argue that not liking "x" stage is scrubbiness, and that the fact that most of the community dislikes those stages means that the majority of the community is scrubby.

To me the "scrubbiness" argument isn't convincing because 1. Ideas of scrubbiness are subjective, and 2. Denouncing the majority to uphold an unpopular opinion of "non-scrubbiness" is highly undesirable.

I say let things play out as they may. If these stages aren't whack and if the game is made better by their inclusion, then it'll be made evident in the tournament results.
Mura, it's got nothing to do with what you like. Scrubbiness is banning something when it's not broken. Yes, "broken" is a somewhat subjective concept. The overwhelming majority of banned stages are nowhere near broken, however.

You're welcome to disapprove of the TO using the ruleset he thinks is best in spite of majority opinion. I would disagree, of course; if the majority hated Jigglypuff enough to want to ban her, I would tell everyone to suck it up if I were the TO. Maybe it's "undesirable," but that isn't relevant to me. You're entitled to think majority opinion trumps fairness (in the sense of not limiting people's options for no reason), but I personally don't.

But, again, my view has nothing to do with what people do and don't like. Personally, if I had to choose one ruleset to use for the rest of my life, it would be the MBR ruleset. But I don't believe it's fair for me to limit certain options because the majority happens to dislike them, or because I happen to dislike them. You don't see me lobbying to ban Falco.

That's all well and good that he wants to preserve as much of the game as possible, but he's still making a drastic change to the ruleset 3 months before the tournament. Almost certainly people will have no recent tournament experience on a lot of these stages since no tournament ****ing runs these stages anymore.
I won't speak for Kish on this, but I will provide my own input:

First, consider that, if we never enact a new ruleset, things will never change. If status quo is God, we are stationary.

Second, I feel that you are exaggerating how drastic these changes are. No, it's not the same ruleset that has been used for most recent nationals. However, it's not as though these stages came out of nowhere (as though they hadn't existed in the game prior to the announcement of this ruleset). It's not like he's announced "all matches will be played in Stamina Mode." And people will have time to practice on these stages.

And, finally, for me, it would be a matter of principle. I don't care about the status quo. I (again, me, not necessarily Kish) care about fairness and making the ruleset as fair as possible to everyone. That means not limiting the options of certain players unjustifiably. "Jankiness" and "skewing matchups" do not form justified banning criteria.

Of course, I would just wait to see what Kish has to write. I expect his response to be

“If I may sum it up as follows - what we're saying is that when I get hit by a car and my opponent takes advantage, I blame myself for letting myself get in a bad position. When you get hit by a car, you curse your bad luck and blame the stage for interfering with your match.” - Me
combined with some amount of "what you consider fun and competitive is not what everyone considers fun and competitive."

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I think the fact that Pokefloats and Corneria are not legal in singles says a little about the consistency of the Kish's arguments in favor of this list.

KishSquared

Smash Master
We love more stages than the MBR5, but we love you too.

The ship is full of love. Hopefully it doesn't sink from the great weight.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Mura, it's got nothing to do with what you like. Scrubbiness is banning something when it's not broken. Yes, "broken" is a somewhat subjective concept. The overwhelming majority of banned stages are nowhere near broken, however.

You're welcome to disapprove of the TO using the ruleset he thinks is best in spite of majority opinion. I would disagree, of course; if the majority hated Jigglypuff enough to want to ban her, I would tell everyone to suck it up if I were the TO. Maybe it's "undesirable," but that isn't relevant to me. You're entitled to think majority opinion trumps fairness (in the sense of not limiting people's options for no reason), but I personally don't.

But, again, my view has nothing to do with what people do and don't like. Personally, if I had to choose one ruleset to use for the rest of my life, it would be the MBR ruleset. But I don't believe it's fair for me to limit certain options because the majority happens to dislike them, or because I happen to dislike them. You don't see me lobbying to ban Falco.

I won't speak for Kish on this, but I will provide my own input:

First, consider that, if we never enact a new ruleset, things will never change. If status quo is God, we are stationary.

Second, I feel that you are exaggerating how drastic these changes are. No, it's not the same ruleset that has been used for most recent nationals. However, it's not as though these stages came out of nowhere (as though they hadn't existed in the game prior to the announcement of this ruleset). It's not like he's announced "all matches will be played in Stamina Mode." And people will have time to practice on these stages.

And, finally, for me, it would be a matter of principle. I don't care about the status quo. I (again, me, not necessarily Kish) care about fairness and making the ruleset as fair as possible to everyone. That means not limiting the options of certain players unjustifiably. "Jankiness" and "skewing matchups" do not form justified banning criteria.

Of course, I would just wait to see what Kish has to write. I expect his response to be

combined with some amount of "what you consider fun and competitive is not what everyone considers fun and competitive."
Lemme first point out that I don't disagree with you, in fact in reading your arguments in those topics awhile ago you actually changed my opinion. However, agreeing with you doesn't mean that I think you're right.

A lot of times you don't acknowledge points that are ultimately subjective. Like "banning something when it's not broken", while "brokenness" is subjective, or thinking that keeping the unliked stages banned is "unfair", while "unfairness" is ridiculously subjective. You should know better than to assert these points as facts. The ideals of someone who thinks otherwise are just as valid, and ultimately you ARE arguing for something you like. You like the idea of some more stages being included and you argue based on the concepts that you like, I.E. non-scrubbiness, fairness. So don't pretend like your points are the end-all of this discussion.

The problem with your logic is even in what you think Kish's response will be. You present the latter situation (that of the stage being at fault) as a player's error, but that's not even close to being proven. You're just assuming that if you show that it can be interpreted as player error, then people will be swayed to think as you do, but that's not true, because the other interpretation is just as valid. I think it's rather silly to blame yourself being affected by random occurrences, and even sillier to expect players to never be affected by them enough to think that they would grow to dislike it.

john!

Smash Hero
ok so when i initially voiced my support for japes, mute, etc. being legal

i was thinking about the fun factor of the tournament

like, how interesting it would be to be able to finally go back to japes after all these years

but often times the "fun factor" and "competitiveness" of a given game or a given ruleset are inversely proportional

because competitiveness is defined as the ability for the better player to win a higher percentage of the time

and the introduction of random factors and unpredictable stimuli is often seen as "fun"

and seeing as i'm not a top player, i wouldn't know what it was like to risk losing hundreds of dollars because a klaptrap randomly decided to interrupt my recovery

so it's worth keeping in mind that, although a liberal stagelist can be very fun, it comes at the expense of some of the validity of this tournament as a fair competition of skill

and this may lessen the interest/attendance of the more competitive-minded individuals in our community

including top players.

it's a tradeoff that the kishes have every right to make... just keep the consequences in mind

i think a poll or some other sort of community opinion measurement should be taken about some of the more extreme stages in this ruleset

keep your options open IMO

we won't judge you or perceive you as less hardcore-old-school if you decide to perform jank removal on the stagelist as it currently stands ;)

Overswarm

is laughing at you
A lot of times you don't acknowledge points that are ultimately subjective. Like "banning something when it's not broken", while "brokenness" is subjective, or thinking that keeping the unliked stages banned is "unfair", while "unfairness" is ridiculously subjective. You should know better than to assert these points as facts. The ideals of someone who thinks otherwise are just as valid, and ultimately you ARE arguing for something you like. You like the idea of some more stages being included and you argue based on the concepts that you like, I.E. non-scrubbiness, fairness. So don't pretend like your points are the end-all of this discussion.

The problem with your logic is even in what you think Kish's response will be. You present the latter situation (that of the stage being at fault) as a player's error, but that's not even close to being proven. You're just assuming that if you show that it can be interpreted as player error, then people will be swayed to think as you do, but that's not true, because the other interpretation is just as valid. I think it's rather silly to blame yourself being affected by random occurrences, and even sillier to expect players to never be affected by them enough to think that they would grow to dislike it.
What? Brokeness isn't subjective. We can rate a character's performance or stage's results over time and compare it with other characters or stages to see if it falls outside of what would be considered the statistical norm for that group. There are already several statistical models available to us that have been tested by much smarter, more professional people on much more important things so we don't even have to do any legwork.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
What? Brokeness isn't subjective. We can rate a character's performance or stage's results over time and compare it with other characters or stages to see if it falls outside of what would be considered the statistical norm for that group. There are already several statistical models available to us that have been tested by much smarter, more professional people on much more important things so we don't even have to do any legwork.
Your post is too vague, there's no material to contradict. Give me an example of one (or some) of these statistical models. I'm not just going to assume that these models are so decisive that they trump the inherent subjectivity of the matter. You'll have to prove that.

Kal

Smash Champion
Lemme first point out that I don't disagree with you, in fact in reading your arguments in those topics awhile ago you actually changed my opinion. However, agreeing with you doesn't mean that I think you're right.
This doesn't really make sense. You agree with something that is wrong? It sounds like you're suggesting that my stance is not prudent to running a successful tournament. Which I would agree with. But that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

A lot of times you don't acknowledge points that are ultimately subjective. Like "banning something when it's not broken", while "brokenness" is subjective, or thinking that keeping the unliked stages banned is "unfair", while "unfairness" is ridiculously subjective.
"Fairness" has a strict definition when I use it: when I say something is unfair, I mean strictly that we are banning something on preference alone, thus eliminating an option from players for reasons that are unrelated to brokenness. You see no problem with this, but I see scenarios in which people QQ about how "unfair" (not in the sense defined here) it is that Jigglypuff plays the way she does, and a majority wishing to ban it. And immediately I note that every single Jigglypuff player, who isn't detracting from the game in any way that doesn't fall down to individual preference (i.e., she isn't eliminating depth in any meaningful way), is forbidden from playing his main. That is unfair.

You should know better than to assert these points as facts.
If they aren't facts, it's not really possible to assert them as such. Any more than saying "The Dark Knight is a ****ty movie" without explicitly writing "in my opinion" makes the sentence a "fact."

The ideals of someone who thinks otherwise are just as valid,
All ideals are equally valid. This isn't really my concern. If someone really likes gameplay with Marth, and that's what floats his boat, his decision to ban every other character is valid. This does not make his decision fair.

and ultimately you ARE arguing for something you like.
No, I am not. If I were arguing for something I liked, I'd lobby for a Falco ban. **** Falco.

You like the idea of some more stages being included and you argue based on the concepts that you like, I.E. non-scrubbiness, fairness. So don't pretend like your points are the end-all of this discussion.
No, I don't necessarily like more stages. I've said before that my preference is the MBR5. The difference is that there is no justification, as far as brokenness, for me to ban these other stages. And yes, "brokenness" is subjective. This doesn't make my stance less consistent: if we are unwilling to ban Sheik because we don't consider her broken, that immediately gives us a nice little lower-bound on what constitutes brokenness:

"Something is broken when it makes more characters unviable than Sheik, i.e., if Sheik makes X characters unviable, something is broken when it makes more than X characters unviable."

Obviously, "viable" is subjective. I would have no problem with these stages being banned because they are broken, even if I disagreed with the justification, because there is some degree of subjectivity and opinion there. What I don't agree with is people coming up with things totally unrelated to brokenness and acting as though this justifies a ban. Exactly the same sort of logic allows you to reach a ban of anything.

In the end, you're comparing "I want to avoid banning things unless they overtly reduce the game's depth in a significant way" with "I want to ban Brinstar because the lava is on a random timer" or "I want to ban Brinstar because floaties are strong there." There is a clear difference.

The problem with your logic is even in what you think Kish's response will be. You present the latter situation (that of the stage being at fault) as a player's error, but that's not even close to being proven. You're just assuming that if you show that it can be interpreted as player error, then people will be swayed to think as you do, but that's not true, because the other interpretation is just as valid.
Except there are obvious ways to account for such randomness. You can't account for randomly falling exploding blocks or capsules, to the best of my knowledge. You can avoid starting a combo on the floor of Mute City, and you can avoid positioning yourself such that the lava hits you on Brinstar.

I think it's rather silly to blame yourself being affected by random occurrences, and even sillier to expect players to never be affected by them enough to think that they would grow to dislike it.
The irony, here, is that you seem to misunderstand the point altogether. We're not expecting players to blame themselves for being affected by something random. We expect them to blame themselves for allowing themselves into that situation in the first place. As in, if you know you're taking a huge risk by starting a combo at the bottom of Mute City, it's profoundly stupid to start a combo there and QQ about how bad your luck is. Yeah, your luck sucks. You're also not great a managing risk versus reward.

Also ironic that you mention I think they would never grow to dislike it. Whether they like it is absolutely beyond the point.

And Overswarm, it's technically still subjective. Even something like "an outlier is 2.5 standard deviations away from the mean" is a matter of convention. You'll end up being forced to make some arbitrary cut-off. This doesn't invalidate anything, however.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Your post is too vague, there's no material to contradict. Give me an example of one (or some) of these statistical models. I'm not just going to assume that these models are so decisive that they trump the inherent subjectivity of the matter. You'll have to prove that.
Not... not really.

And Overswarm, it's technically still subjective. Even something like "an outlier is 2.5 standard deviations away from the mean" is a matter of convention. You'll end up being forced to make some arbitrary cut-off. This doesn't invalidate anything, however.
It doesn't have to be subjective. There are enough precedents to where we don't really have to say anything, and given the right data set you could just look at the interquartile range and see what falls outside of it. Or if you want to be more vague, anything that doesn't fit in the three sigma rule, although that'd be inaccurate overall it'd show what could be deserving of being looked at more.

Anyway, I've already done the stat stuff and seen other people better at it do it and it basically boils down to someone saying "but I don't want that" no matter what the data says, so doesn't really matter anyawy.

Kal

Smash Champion
Right, but "the three sigma rule" is just a matter of convention. There is no objective (even canonical) reason to choose three standard deviations over two or seven or eleven or pi + 1 standard deviations for what constitutes an outlier. At the very least, your cut-off is subjective, insofar as it is arbitrarily chosen.

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
Right, but "the three sigma rule" is just a matter of convention. There is no objective (even canonical) reason to choose three standard deviations over two or seven or eleven or pi + 1 standard deviations for what constitutes an outlier. At the very least, your cut-off is subjective, insofar as it is arbitrarily chosen.
None of the words super, smash, brothers, or melee wasn't in your post.
Stop this nonsense.

Kal

Smash Champion
Because of the double negative? Never thought you for a grammar Nazi, Strong Bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom