• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MELEE-FC10R Legacy...is done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
^ i'm with that. Tournament over the weekend used this ruleset, I was not thrilled with it. I think rat put it best: "MBR rules feels like you have to beat your opponent 3 times. FC rules feels like you have to beat your opponent once and then gay him out on stages 2 times."

Kal

Smash Champion
Unless your opponent is smart enough to have strategies prepared for other stages.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Wow what a gay stage list. Well thats the deciding factor for me. I don't understand how someone could actually put a stage on that hasn't been used in years especially at a national. Mind = Blown
:glare:

You better be here. I need at least 2 doses of Westballz per year.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Whoa, considering revising the list? Odd, I felt it wasn't that bad. I haven't sat down and read all of the arguments though.

I'm looking forward to whatever you guys come up with. =)

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord
I have to honestly ask this - is $25 really breaking the bank for people? You say you'll come for $60, but not $85? Considering the cost of gas, hotels, and food, you're basically saying that you want a 5% reduction in total cost, and then you'll come. I can't quite see the logic, but correct me if I'm missing something.

Keep in mind that you get $5 off for each piece of equipment you bring. Very few people will likely end up paying $85. If you have to boot a TV from your car to bring someone, charge them the $5 :)
I hear where you are coming from...but read below
MELEE FC 10!!! COME PAY FOR BRAWL 64 & PROJECT M!!

for the 90% of the smash community that plays one game this is ********.
This is completely true. It isn't about the difference in price, it is about paying for 5-6 events I (or the majority of the melee community) have absolutely no interest in.

I am not asking for a large break or anything, but I can tell you that lowering it slightly and splitting it would likely help attendance. A base price + events might even pull in more money for you.

Base Price: $70
Cost of events:
Melee singles: $10
Melee doubles: $10
Brawl singles: $5-10
Brawl doubles: $5-10
ETC.

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord
Very little, other than me only paying for events I have interest in. I suppose 60-65 would be a better base, but the point is the same.

Tink

Smash Hero
im just confused on why alot of the pros were madd.....they had the stipulation that you could just agree on doing mbr5....i would imagine most pros would agree to that anyway 0_o. whoooo knows.

Metà

Smash Master
Very little, other than me only paying for events I have interest in. I suppose 60-65 would be a better base, but the point is the same.
on the plus side, it means that a lot of people coming mainly for 64 or brawl might be a little more inclined to enter the melee event...

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
im just confused on why alot of the pros were madd.....they had the stipulation that you could just agree on doing mbr5....i would imagine most pros would agree to that anyway 0_o. whoooo knows.
Until they run into another player of a similar skill level who wants to strike three neutrals, play a bunk bed counterpick war, and essentially force the set to be decided by who wins Game 1.

Like Westballz said, there is definitely a logical argument for why these stages are viable, but FC is just not the arena in which those arguments should be made more aware.

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
...then where?
I lol'd. It's kind of true that if you're going to run a large stage list that FC would be the place to do it. Alas.

Looks like we'll be ready for a relaunch of everything by Friday, including rules, registration, and any revisions to the structure. The three Rs.

Kal

Smash Champion
I think I would unofficially be the guy in charge of ramblings.

steep

Smash Lord
Oh man… A tournament in Indiana??????????? What is this I don't even… I am definitely coming to this!!!!

Also I am super surprised that I can post right now… I'm in China currently with a jazz band I'm performing in and like everything forum-related is blocked in China.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Holy...moly...I had no idea this tournament was going to cost 85 dollars......I'm not even a broke college student living check to check, but many of these guys justifiably have a tough time finding free cash for traditional $25 tournaments...

I could see it being easier if something like top 15 Melee got their money back or something... Otherwise its going to be rough.

SmashMac

Smash Lord
Yesssssss SmashMac.

Are you retired or do you still play?
I don't play nearly as much but I still play and go to tournaments every now and then. Shiz and I also tend to attend OOS tournaments every year and a half but I'd love to go to another FC again.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Why on earth does the tournament cost 85 dollars? Has FC always been that expensive? Is it to pay for the venue fee? Because if it's the latter then a different venue should just be used.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
The venue fee is slightly more but it pays off when you consider that the hotel rooms are discounted to $70/night (which is basically half off).

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
This has been discussed several times. Part of the fee goes to the venue, meals, and security. The remaining goes into the pots. As a reference, FCD's cost was $75 and that only covered Melee events. If it were made any lower, that puts the pot in serious risk of being underwhelming or even negative.

You get three days of awesome competition, entrance into at least 4 events, two meals, and discounted hotel rooms. The cost should not be an issue.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
So for 70 a night and 3 nights, plus an 85 dollar entry fee, every player would be expected to pay $295 to go to the tournament??

EDIT: I realize that can be split between 4 people, but some people don't know others. Assuming everyone was able split 4 ways, every player would still be paying an absolute minumum 137.5 dollars to attend, and that does not count any travel costs whatsoever.

It isn't just my preference like the ruleset, the cost might just be straight up impractical for most players.

Mr. Sandbag

Smash Cadet
So for 70 a night and 3 nights, plus an 85 dollar entry fee, every player would be expected to pay $295 to go to the tournament??
$70(+ tax) per room.
Meaning you have 4 people for three days, $210 split four ways is roughly $53(+ tax) per person.

I'm only staying two nights at the hotel though.

You'll need around $150 per person.

But I agree, it's a little steep.

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
The price was selected for a reason. I appreciate your feedback, but it is not something that has the flexibility to change, as it is already as low as it can be given the surrounding costs for an event like this. I've done a significant amount of work to try and make sure the price is as reasonable as it can be, while still allocating enough for a prize pool, without any sponsorship money available at this time. I am sorry if it ends up being outside of your budget range, but it's really not significantly more than MLG or APEX costs, and as has been pointed out multiple times, the hotel is far cheaper than both of these typically are, so overall it should come out as a positive relative to those two events. Plus, if you bring systems, that's both cheaper for you and better for everyone.

I'm not going to tell you that you should trust us, as there have been enough people in this thread that have spoken to our ability to provide an event that will go above and beyond your expectations. If I need to point people out to the FC Diamond threads so you can see the feedback there, those are still available.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
how much do you expect it to cost to go to a national? staying at the hyatt for 95 dollars a night for pound 5 certainly wasn't any cheaper, and i don't remember anybody whining about it. yes, going to large tournaments costs money. i don't see how you can try to attend a national without at least 150 dollars. it just...doesn't work. for the experience this is going to be, i'm sure it will be well worth every penny.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
FC-Diamond results thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=109534

As someone who posted in there wisely put it, there's often this paradox of Smash attendees:

We want the best, but expect to pay the least.
We want the venue to be clean, but are unwilling to pick up after ourselves.
We want tournament to be run smoothly, but are unwilling to cooperate and listen.
We want more playing time, but are unwilling to bring TVs and setups (exception: Monk and Toast from Wisconsin)
We expect everything from our hosts, but sometimes don't give them much incentive to host.

$85 looks pretty reasonable considering everything the Kishes are doing for us, guys. At least for the Melee players. For the Brawl and Smash 64 players, perhaps not, but that's a different subject of debate that has been brought up already.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
how much do you expect it to cost to go to a national? staying at the hyatt for 95 dollars a night for pound 5 certainly wasn't any cheaper, and i don't remember anybody whining about it. yes, going to large tournaments costs money. i don't see how you can try to attend a national without at least 150 dollars. it just...doesn't work. for the experience this is going to be, i'm sure it will be well worth every penny.
We work on farms and have no career hope, we don't have those fancy coastal jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom