• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MBR Presents: Marth AT- DS ledge grab

feardragon64

Smash Champion
^What steel said but also it's a bad idea because unless you do it perfectly, a lot of characters with a decent reach can dtilt you, throw projectiles, etc. and hit you during the short time that you're not in invincibility frames. Remember, you're doing it when you're about level with the stage. While I was practicing this I put on a level 9 computer for kicks. It was link and he spiked me with dtilt cause my head was popping up at the same height as the ledge. -.-

Just a warning. We're not sure yet if you can do this(humanly possible or even theoretically possible) and retain 100% invincibility frames. Even if you're doing it really well, basically apply what steel said. This is much better used for edgehogging and such.

OmegaXF

Smash Ace
I saw it!!! Yaeh me ^_^
Now to experiment with it....

**EDIT**
I wanna point out that there are no attack frames that will connect to an opponent while doing this.

So a full Ledge Dropped DS will hit an opponent close towards the edge while a n (Instant Dolphin Slash) IDS won't hit an opponent close towards the ledge...yeah....I went there lulz!

10Lotion Bottles

OmegaXF

Smash Ace
Outlasting that drill....You need Jesus. And Marth no matter how much we try will never be Jesus not even with Hair extension.....So I'd say no :)

**Havok**

Smash Lord
You never retain %100 invincibility frames, you lose them around the time you jump, meaning i there's an MK underneath you it's not that good, you still get hit.

Still a nice trick, can help possibly gimp someone, you just have to time it correctly.

OmegaXF

Smash Ace
You never retain %100 invincibility frames, you lose them around the time you jump, meaning i there's an MK underneath you it's not that good, you still get hit.

Still a nice trick, can help possibly gimp someone, you just have to time it correctly.
So how many frames do we get by using this AT then?

**Havok**

Smash Lord
The only time you're invincible is when you grabbing the edge/making contact if you're doing it corectly, its the bottom of the "edge stall" that's vulnerable.

=(

If only the invincibility frames when you grab the edge lasted just a bit longer so when you jump this would be an incredible tool. Otherwise this is just a handy one.

The up-B you perform to regrab does not hit BTW, i think i saw someone thinking it hits. Sorry I already forgot what everyone had posted before so I can't recall.

ya this seems best used to last out recoveries like DK and samus could this possibly last out an MK drill?
From a certain angle it could possibly, drill has a large enough hit box to hit you anyways.

Inle~Orichas

Smash Journeyman
I see this being utilized as almost a form of taunt, where your opponent is annoyed at the repetition of this move to the point where they come too close to the edge to be met by a tippered F-air or something.

I wonder if it's fast enough to retain most/all invincibility frames...

Ulevo

Smash Master
Just to inform you, I discovered this months and months ago. I made a mention to Jewdo to add it, and I made a thread that was largely ignored.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=167033

Check the date for verification.

I discovered that for some characters, using Up B to cling was faster than a simple quarter circle method, due to the auto cling feature. This included Marth. I never bothered to rediscuss it because it was ignored mainly, and I wasn't going to bump an old thread.

Most, if not all characters can do this. Exactly who it is more useful for, I am not exactly sure. Pierce7d and Steel may want to look into that. So yeah, it's not exactly new... but kudos to you for making use of it. Anyway, carry on.

∫unk

Smash Master
Ulevo I don't see how your thread pertains to this.

Your thread is talking about running off and hugging this is talking about just regrabbing faster.

And how would running off and up b be a faster hug then a speed hug?

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
So, is it still unclear as to whether or not you can get do this fast enough to make yourself completely invincible off the stage? I was playing with this today and I'm almost 100% sure I never lost my invincibility frames. Just curious.

_Kadaj_

Smash Hero
Throw that P***y at me? B***h I think Im Babe Ruth
not to knock on any1 but remember when I was talking about this to gimp mk awhile back when he's recovering low. (in the mbr)

its still a good tool to use in certain situations but in some cases a normal speed hug would be better (for instance when trying to edgeguard dk)

just watch out for your opponent when doing this. the possibility of being stage spiked does exsists in some cases

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Kadaj what I remember you talking about was just dropping down and DS'ing the opponent not using it to grab the ledge, but if that's what you meant you really need to clarify.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
A) What Steel said a few pages ago. ROFL @ this being banned. It's not even close to broken. Your opponent can simply recover to the stage, or if they are on the stage and you are trying to stall, just edgehog you and punish your stupidly laggy Dolphin Slash. It's good for buying a little time, and it's very useful, but broken, get serious.

Metaknight can FLY. That's broken. Seriously, imaging Marth if he had 5 midair jumps. He'd be just as good, if not better than MK.

Flying is broken in this game. The objective is to ring your opponent out. Having a technique that allows you to stay invincible on the ledge is very useful, but not broken. FLYING is broken.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Marth needs a shorter f*cking dash animation.

What was once glorious and amazing in Melee is now nothing but a hindrance.

Freezewish

Smash Ace
Kadaj dances because he wants his marth to move fast and show off some "tech skill" in between kills.

Meh brawl sucks. =/

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
A) What Steel said a few pages ago. ROFL @ this being banned. It's not even close to broken. Your opponent can simply recover to the stage, or if they are on the stage and you are trying to stall, just edgehog you and punish your stupidly laggy Dolphin Slash. It's good for buying a little time, and it's very useful, but broken, get serious.

Metaknight can FLY. That's broken. Seriously, imaging Marth if he had 5 midair jumps. He'd be just as good, if not better than MK.

Flying is broken in this game. The objective is to ring your opponent out. Having a technique that allows you to stay invincible on the ledge is very useful, but not broken. FLYING is broken.
Exactly, no way this gets banned. It seems like people are forgetting that there is still a great window of time where your opponent can grab the ledge.

e__

Smash Ace
Leave it to VietGeek to post an almost cartoony picture of link.

Also, it seems like the best application for this would be timing your invincibility frames without having to deal with a speed hug timing.

clowsui

Smash Legend
i disagree, to do this you have to get a jump off first right?
speedhugging should be mastered by most players here (read: everyone that's not me or e_) so it's not any sort of replacement

e__

Smash Ace
i disagree, to do this you have to get a jump off first right?
speedhugging should be mastered by most players here (read: everyone that's not me or e_) so it's not any sort of replacement
Just an alternative. Hang on the ledge, regrab when they get close. It's around the same speed as speedhugging. The time between jumping and doing UpB is pretty minimal.

Dragoomba

Smash Lord
Most people say it's broken, but isn't Samus' ledgedrop up B and zair faster than this? I guess it's just not as punishable.

Top Bottom