• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MBR Presents: Marth AT- DS ledge grab

BBoyindo

Smash Ace
This already looks F*cking smexy! Good stuff 3x, good stuff.

EDIT:
I tested the invincibility on ike's up-b like half an hour ago. I couldn't get full invincibility, but that's probably because i didn't do it well enough. It is probably possible if you do it frame perfect, but thats...hard. It is very however easy to do it just before ike throws his sword up and you'll get enough frames to stay on the ledge.

Ange

Smash Lord
Nice, gotta try this one. Time to stay invinsible on the edge. ;D

As this involves using DS, I asume this doesnt work if the non-auto-sweetspot-ledge code is activated. Or does it?

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Nice, gotta try this one. Time to stay invinsible on the edge. ;D

As this involves using DS, I asume this doesnt work if the non-auto-sweetspot-ledge code is activated. Or does it?
It shouldn't because this is based on having your forward momentum canceled within like the first frames of your DS. Ie, when you are still invincible. And you have upward momentum so without a ledge cancel you can't grab the ledge.

Ange

Smash Lord
It shouldn't because this is based on having your forward momentum canceled within like the first frames of your DS. Ie, when you are still invincible. And you have upward momentum so without a ledge cancel you can't grab the ledge.
Just what I thought then, but had to make sure.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Yeah... Somebody should check how fast you have to be in order for you to get invincibility the whole way through... o-o

How many frames of invincibility do you get for grabbing the ledge? And how many frames does it takes to ledgedrop and jump back up(and use this AT, of course) to grab the ledge? >.>

If we can answer those questions correctly, we can find out how many frames of "leeway" we have.

Xisin

Smash Ace
NNID
Xisin14
this made the marth ditto match up even worse lol. because it seems particualarly useful vs marth >.>

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I was just thinking about something. Marth's worst matchups are MK, Snake, and D3 right?

Now think about how they recover:

MK:

Above or ledge, good enough recovery to do either

Snake:

High recovery

D3:

High recovery

This is a good and helpful AT, but it sucks that it doesn't help much against these guys.

Just pointing it out.

Xisin

Smash Ace
NNID
Xisin14
seems you can double dolphin slash out of this, just happened to me, pointing that out.

TLMarth

Smash Ace
That combo with CF and Fox vs Fox in Illinianex's sig is awesome.

This is awesome too, but what if Falco/Fox reaches the edge before Marth?

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
Wow. This AT is too good. I've mastered it already, and I've only been playing for about 5 minutes. Once you get the timing right, you can do it pretty quickly. I think I might have gotten it all the way through ike's recovery, but I'm not sure. I did once, but it's hard to do it consistently. And on battlefield, since it's a curved ledge, it's really easy to just slide up it. This will help me a ton when I'm playing against DK players on battlefield, as if being on battlefield didn't help me already.

But really, this is almost a "Too good to be true", kind of thing. I wouldn't be surprised if this got banned, sadly. This is just adding onto Marth's ability to gimp, along with his amazing aerials. Extremely nice find, 3x.

napZzz

Smash Hero
so lemme get thsi straight. I can just sit and do this and stay invincible while holding the edge? Its 2 gud to be true, someone tell me I mis interpreted this

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
^ We're not sure yet if you are actually invincible the entire time, but that's what it looks like.

I've pretty much got both versions of this down. The sliding one is easier imo.

TLMarth

Smash Ace
But of course you could mess it up, like Melee Fox's Waveshine, or IC CGs.
I mean like... human error.

Also if Falco and Fox get to the edge before you do you just go all the way up and then maybe you could Air Control to the stage?

takeurlife2

Smash Ace
i prefer temporarilly planking with fallback->fair to dolphin slash until they get hit or walk away and let me back on the stage =)

but i guess this is nifty

EDIT: from the looks of it you have no invincibility frames as you re-approach the ledge. So what happens if you are fighting wario or some other character that has a stage spiking, funny hit-boxed, attack? You will just lose your jump and be insta gimped. Characters with fast bairs like diddy or snake could also punish this for a free stage spike.

i think we should stick to my first idea, for safety. I mean, you dont have invincibility frames at the top of dolphin slash, but at least it's an attack, so they can be pushed away or deterred from approaching the ledge.

GPEternity

Smash Journeyman
i prefer temporarilly planking with fallback->fair to dolphin slash until they get hit or walk away and let me back on the stage =)

but i guess this is nifty

EDIT: from the looks of it you have no invincibility frames as you re-approach the ledge. So what happens if you are fighting wario or some other character that has a stage spiking, funny hit-boxed, attack? You will just lose your jump and be insta gimped. Characters with fast bairs like diddy or snake could also punish this for a free stage spike.

i think we should stick to my first idea, for safety. I mean, you dont have invincibility frames at the top of dolphin slash, but at least it's an attack, so they can be pushed away or deterred from approaching the ledge.
I think the point of this is to use the invincibility frames from DS to grab the ledge. If they camp close enough to the ledge you have the option of drop fairing them and if they drop down to attempt a stage spike you can always skip the second jump and ds directly to the edge, again using the invincibility as you grab the edge. seems the only time you can be vulnerable is after you let go of the edge and during the second jump. so be ready to ds instantly should anything go awry?

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
do NOT use this to stall

people can easily speed hug the ledge as you fall off and you'll DS their invincibility frames

Top Bottom