• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Balanced Brawl Public Preview *GENESIS UPDATE*

Status
Not open for further replies.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
As a ZSS main, I beg of you; PLEASE fix ZSS' Dsmash.

The point of the move isn't the stun itself, it's the release, when the opponent is popped into the air at a relatively predictable angle so as to be followed with a fair or uair at low damages and a bair at higher ones. The knockback varies drastically now based on character and percent, and from what I can tell from my matches, it can be Did quite effectively now. I almost KOd an opponent off the top of the stage with a move that's supposed to paralyze - a bit strange.

The Dsmash was intended to be Zamus' 'trump card'; she needs it to retain her very balanced position on the tierlist. Isn't it possible to increase/change the knockback of the move from vBrawl enough to allow fox to escape the chain, while keeping the trajectory and knockback constant enough to allow followups?
That is quite easy to do. All that needs to be done is to edit the growth of the Down Smash. And easy fix.

BlueHurricane

Smash Cadet
Hey, just wanted to say that this is an awesome project so far, I'm looking forward to how it turns out. Ike's new QD is just awesome, and the fact that Falco's CG is gone also makes things a lot better for me. Anyways, if anyone ever wants to play onlien, just say so.

Revven

FrankerZ
About Captain Falcon in general, we cannot restore melee Captain Falcon even if we wanted to. What some people may not realize is that Captain Falcon is barely changed from Melee in Brawl. The main change he has is that his knee now has a one frame sweetspot window, but in genreal his frame speeds and hitboxes are pretty similar to how they were in Melee. His style in that game just plain does not work in Brawl, and we can't make it work without making Brawl itself into a really different game. This isn't really a bad thing IMO; characters in Brawl are expected to be different from their Melee selves (Mr. Game & Watch and Ness don't mind!). Captain Falcon as he exists in Brawl is pretty bad, but he does have his high points and a style he pursues, and we want to focus on what he is and just make it good. It's not easy at all, and there is going to be a lot different just because of how bad he used to be and how polarized some of his matchups were (like Captain Falcon versus team disjointed). He's not just a "combo" character; he's also a high mobility low attack speed powerhouse, and I think that style can be made to work. We've definitely put and are continuing to put a lot of care into him, and I think the results are and will continue to be positive.
Of course you can't restore Melee Falcon. However, it would help if he could have some better aerial approaching options. The throws sound all good and well, jab > grab is a main part of his game. However, it is hard for Falcon to get inside most characters in Brawl that have priority over him and/or are way more defensive and campy. He has a hard time against projectiles as well as ranged people (ranged has always been a weakness for him, but, projectiles... not so much of a major weakness because he could actually get by them with his speed). Unfortunately, Nair isn't his best aerial approach, and it really should be. It's the only move of his besides Dair and Fair that had a changed hitbox in which Sakurai intentionally nerfed it so the hitboxes for both kicks are only out for 2 frames, that's why it's such a bad move now (and only the first kick of it is ever really used).

I'm just gonna say that you should look at his Nair, fix his Dair's KB so it's actually a meteor worth using, and that would be it for his aerials. You don't even have to fix Fair. Just Nair and Dair... and while I'm not a seasoned Falcon main in Brawl, I used him for months (although only in friendlies). I still feel he deserves a good aerial approach, Nair just isn't doing its job right now.

So take a gander at it. :p

shanus

Smash Hero
Falcons brawl nair has the hitbox properties (as in hitbox durations) of ganon's nair in melee.

And trust me, that isn't pretty.

Eyada

Smash Apprentice
Instead of debating banning Meta Knight, everyone should just play BBrawl. ;)

With Project SA (Plan Zero? Whatever it's officially called) and the Throw Mods, it seems like it might (hopefully?) be possible to finish the most important parts of the "wishlist" --namely, the character modifications-- and arrive at a very satisfactory Final release. Are you guys looking into using Project SA for this, AA/Thinkaman?

-Throw modification (would fix Ice Climbers and be useful on a lot of characters) (Check. Thanks PK.)
-Ledgestalling tweak (all ledgegrabs are limited to 7 times, like Ike's Aether) (Possible with Project SA?)
-Stage hazard modification (would make several stages, such as Flat Zone 2 and Port Town Aero Dive, easy counterpicks)
-Rumble Falls no "speed up"
-WarioWare tweaked prize mechanics (always 4% healing), would stay true to design and be fair
-Better stage select mechanics (so WiFi Training Room can be picked in training and WiFi and Hanenbow can be picked in versus)
-General water mechanics tweaks (being able to set drowning to be percentage independent and have a duration similar to some middle percentage would be ideal) (Perhaps possible with SA? Not really sure.)
-A fix for Meta Knight's infinite Dimensional Cape bug and Sheik's chain glitch (Seems possible.)
-A code to apply super armor to arbitrary frames of arbitrary moves (it was something we considered at several points for some of the slow characters) (I believe SA can do this?)
-Any codes that reduce or eliminate controller port dependencies
-Any codes to speed up character transformation time (presumably by exploiting the other two character slots in a 1v1) (Possibly? Not really sure.)

Eldiran

Smash Lord
Instead of debating banning Meta Knight, everyone should just play BBrawl. ;)
I concur!

With Project SA (Plan Zero? Whatever it's officially called) and the Throw Mods, it seems like it might (hopefully?) be possible to finish the most important parts of the "wishlist" --the character modifications-- and arrive at a very satisfactory Final release. Are you guys looking into using Project SA for this, AA/Thinkaman?
Sounds like an excellent idea -- however, if SA doesn't add anything that the codes can't already do, then I would prefer codes.

Come to think of it... I wonder how the codes and SA interact, if you use both at once? Now I'm curious.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
We'll still working guys. Ampharos is busy the rest of this week and I'm distracted with Motion Plus programming tomfoolery, but the march goes on. I've read all the comments, and sorry if I don't have time to address them yet.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Back on topic to cover one thing real fast, about the ZSS d-smash: What behavior is drastically different? Obviously if something is changed in a way it isn't supposed to be, I want to know about it. I tested the change on the usual set of characters (Bowser, Jigglypuff, Fox, DDD, might have skipped Luigi for this one but did Wolf instead) at various levels of damage. Is there something like an important followup that is no longer guaranteed by some small margin?

Crescens

Smash Cadet
A bair or a DownB used to be guaranteed while the opponent popped into the air out of the stun animation. The opponent, whether at 0% or 200% would pop up the perfect height(very floatily, too) for a flipspike or SH dair. DI doesn't allow one to escape. You used to be able to do this by reactions; once you see the stun ending, you can quickly input your move. as you know exactly where your opponent will end up.

I just did some testing in Bbrawl on ROB; for some reason, you can now DI the release animation of the Dsmash. This used to be impossible (or so minimal it didn't make a difference). The opponent can now easily DI his way out of what used to be a guaranteed followup. This drastically reduced ZSS' KO potential, especially at higher damages, and at lower damages, turns what used to be a guaranteed off-stage spike to an unreliable on-stage spike (AKA useless).

Also, how much can you lower the KBG without rendering Fox useless? Right now, it gets more difficult to get followups at high percents. If the DI issue was fixed, it should still be a guaranteed followup, but it would be harder. Might as well keep the KBG as low as possible.

You can see some examples of the guaranteed bair here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FLq2Kl4jH0&feature=channel_page
Go to 3:40, and there are many examples. You can ignore the Dsmash -> UpB combo; it's techable by competent opponents. But notice how he ends each combo; the opponent pops into the air, and he jumps up with them for a guaranteed bair. In Bbrawl, these would not have been guaranteed if the opponent was to DI + SDI away from ZSS, especially at higher percentages.

While I was at it, I tested ZSS' 0-death infinite on ROB. Stun>Footstool>Dair or DownB>repeat - it's still in. It might be necessary to modify footstool properties to fix this though, which I'm presuming is difficult.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
This is really cool, just tried it out. Unfortunately, I probably won't be playing it at all really, since it can't ever become widespread.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
This is really cool, just tried it out. Unfortunately, I probably won't be playing it at all really, since it can't ever become widespread.
it won't with that attitude :) i can't blame ya, bengals fans are pretty pessimistic...:laugh:

also i suggest adding a cool little elemental effect or something to charizard's initial dash frames

so that when he dash dances

it looks like dragon dance

RAWR

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
it won't with that attitude :) i can't blame ya, bengals fans are pretty pessimistic...:laugh:

also i suggest adding a cool little elemental effect or something to charizard's initial dash frames

so that when he dash dances

it looks like dragon dance

RAWR
lmao, i'll admit i got fried there

Linkshot

Smash Hero
I agree with 0 or 10 KBG and high BKB on Zamus dSmash *second's Zamus*

Aren't footstools techrollable? I'm pretty the ROB boards were all "oh lol we can tech" about 20 minutes after discovery.

Zamus can do this on another character, but I forget who.

TreK

Is "that guy"
What BPC said

peer pressure ?

Nor that worried about it, I just HOPE project SA will not "forget" europe exists =/

Eldiran

Smash Lord
What BPC said

peer pressure ?

Nor that worried about it, I just HOPE project SA will not "forget" europe exists =/
If BBrawl begins to use Project SA, and the File Patch Code 3.5.1 gets ported, then most all character-balancing aspects of BBrawl should work fine for everyone.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
in bbrawl you can hold shield to land with your shield up if you are footstooled

i have bbrawl's new slogan:

don't ban mk, balance him! (and the rest of the game)

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Lol steeler, I think the phrase I'm looking for is "politically polarizing".

Revven

FrankerZ
If BBrawl begins to use Project SA, and the File Patch Code 3.5.1 gets ported, then most all character-balancing aspects of BBrawl should work fine for everyone.
File Replacement 2.1a is all you need to use the character files and the character files are region free just like textures are so Europe should be fine if the Patch code never gets ported quick enough.

Crescens

Smash Cadet
in bbrawl you can hold shield to land with your shield up if you are footstooled[/SIZE]
Unfortunately, this won't work against ZSS' infinite. Footstooling doesn't cancel the stun animation like an attack does, so ROB is still stuck in the stun animation, even after the footstool; he can't shield. Footstooling puts the opponent on the ground, which is what allows ZSS to re-stun ROB even though the first stun hasn't yet ended.

Mit

Smash Ace
I personally think all the effects of footstooling should remain, and characters with infinite combos involving footstools should be edited on an individual basis to remove them.

If you get footstooled by someone normally though, and it allows them to lead into a little 2-hit combo, I see no reason why we should stop it.

Scipion121212

Smash Apprentice
I personally think all the effects of footstooling should remain, and characters with infinite combos involving footstools should be edited on an individual basis to remove them.

If you get footstooled by someone normally though, and it allows them to lead into a little 2-hit combo, I see no reason why we should stop it.
If you get footstooled by someone, it isn´t going to be 2 hit combo, either 0-to-death (on a little higher %/ROB) or 0-to-alot (jab lock). As jab lock is removed anyway, I dont see reason to give Falcon 1 frame bigger lag on Nair if removing the footstool effect would have same effect, but Falcon wouldnt lose combos.
Note that many footstool combos still work (marth aerial footstool-Dair or DKs ground footstool-sideB

Mit

Smash Ace
If you get footstooled by someone, it isn´t going to be 2 hit combo, either 0-to-death (on a little higher %/ROB) or 0-to-alot (jab lock).
Wat. What if I am playing a character with no jab locks or footstool combos, unless you're only talking about ROB getting footstooled? Because anyone can footstool someone then hit him after they bounce off the ground, but everyone can't lead it into some major combo or lock. However, since you brought up Falcon I'm guessing you mean ROB getting footstooled, because the only lock Falcon has is like a 3-hit ftilt lock that isn't a big deal.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I'm back and boy this has been dead lately... I was hoping to come back to more.

Anyway, ZSS on R.O.B. infinite doesn't work in Bbrawl at all. I'm very, very sure of this unless somehow a critical code got left out (which I don't think is true) since I specifically designed and tested for this case. Aerial footstool slamming you into the ground (which is, mechanics wise, how the infinite worked) now just results in you doing the hard landing animation (which is what happens when you land out of a fastfall, very quick animation). In general, getting footstooled isn't a big deal in Bbrawl; my analysis (which I believe to be fair) is that nothing good came out of those long footstool combos and that the game is just plain better without them. I think some short combos will still exist though (anything that's a combo that doesn't rely on them slamming into the ground), but those are very fair and probably add a little to the game so that works out well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom