• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who is the Best Marth right now?(Mew2King excluded)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niko45

Smash Master
Watch the new Ice videos from Beast 2.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl_zFYDq5Pw&feature=feedu

Definitely a contender for best.

I just wish I could look past the pal/ntsc differences. The set vs. Zgetto would have gone differently in ntsc, imo.
Yea I was thinking the exact same thing. I watched all of Zgetto's sets and Fox just seems....REALLY nerfed. Like, trying to bair kill everything everytime is brutal. Idk, could have just been his fault tho not sure.

Idk, I'm not blown away by Ice like all the europeans were promising and that's their fault for overhyping but he's definitely good. He seems really aggressive (as do most euro players really) so I'm not sure how well he'd do against some different styles he'd have to face over here in a big tournament. It'll be interesting to see, if it happens!

Diakonos

Smash Lord
I would agree with Niko, except with a qualifier.

As soon as they get in, THEN they are really aggressive. Thus the fearless shield pressure, combos, etc.

The space animals tend to be aggressive, if you ask me.

L-J

Smash Ace
Idk, I'm not blown away by Ice like all the europeans were promising and that's their fault for overhyping but he's definitely good.
Lol, he got second at the last European event. What d'u want him to do, beat Armada to live up to the hype? Watch his set vs IVP who himself is extremely legit and tell me we overhype him. If he is not second best Marth to M2K or even the best right now (whether on PAL or NTSC) I will eat a hat.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Watch Ice vs Zgetto or Armada.

I'm not saying he's a campy mother****er that never approaches ever (although you might get that impression from his Fox vs Armada in some games) but I think he just does what he thinks will work. Which is perfectly fine, but it's also not... "really aggressive" IMO. Not in the way that Mango or whoever is aggressive.

Also, Armada is probably one of the least aggressive players ever. Amsah has a good balance IMO. Zgetto also has a good balance IMO. Most of Europe's good players aren't overtly one way or the other IMO.

OverLord

Smash Ace
Yea I was thinking the exact same thing. I watched all of Zgetto's sets and Fox just seems....REALLY nerfed.
Fox is nerfed just in Usmash and Up-b being slightly shorter. Actually U-Smash is still very very good, and can kill Marth, and Uair is still viable to get the kill, so I don't get why you see that much of a difference.

Also, Marth gets the spike in NTSC, that can give Ice easier edgeguards, gimps and combo finishers, so it'll be almost the same I think.

I can see shine>U-Smash as an argument, but actually I think it's not that much of a difference, IMO. I see M2K DIing away the shine and do stuff quite often.

Lol, he got second at the last European event. What d'u want him to do, beat Armada to live up to the hype? Watch his set vs IVP who himself is extremely legit and tell me we overhype him. If he is not second best Marth to M2K or even the best right now (whether on PAL or NTSC) I will eat a hat.
10this

Watch Ice vs Zgetto or Armada.

I'm not saying he's a campy mother****er that never approaches ever (although you might get that impression from his Fox vs Armada in some games) but I think he just does what he thinks will work. Which is perfectly fine, but it's also not... "really aggressive" IMO. Not in the way that Mango or whoever is aggressive.

Also, Armada is probably one of the least aggressive players ever. Amsah has a good balance IMO. Zgetto also has a good balance IMO. Most of Europe's good players aren't overtly one way or the other IMO.
europeans are probably the most defensive players ever.
^this

European players tend to be safer in general. Ice plays mostly on reaction and baiting/waiting, it's just very smart and fast when he gets the hit, usually getting an edgeguard or a combo done.

Europeans are great

M2k </= Ice
> other marths
^fix'd. :awesome:

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
me and armada have 3 stocked each other at gen2 in friendlies, at least twice each to each other (we played together over 20 min straight)

and i 4 stocked sfat in gen2 bracket also

im not -- THAT -- rusty, i just have huge mental block when i fight good falco. I think I just make myself play terribly by my lack of confidence or something

i was able to 4 stock a falco in under a minute in my gen2 3rd round pools though (not on recording setup unfortunately)

Dart!

Smash Master
me and armada have 3 stocked each other at gen2 in friendlies, at least twice each to each other (we played together over 20 min straight)

and i 4 stocked sfat in gen2 bracket also

im not -- THAT -- rusty, i just have huge mental block when i fight good falco. I think I just make myself play terribly by my lack of confidence or something

i was able to 4 stock a falco in under a minute in my gen2 3rd round pools though (not on recording setup unfortunately)
i 3 stocked a sheik in third round pools with my marth, do i win?

Armada

Smash Lord
Kirbykaze:

I have been playing in a lot of tournaments in Europe and more tournaments in US then anyone from Europe (?)

To me it´s kinda obvious the Europeans in general are playing more aggresive then the other way around.
Ofc US have some players like Mango/Shiz that plays hella aggresive but if I take a "average" it´s not that close to be honest.

And yeah I know I play deffensive but to be honest It´s not fair to compare Peach (or other chars with way better deffensive) with the most other chars.

To be honest my Fox/Falco is really aggresive cause it works kinda good and the chars have a lot of potencial to be playing in that way but Peach is my main and the one I use in tournaments.

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
People (in general) have completely lost sight of what it means to be aggressive and what it means to play a rushdown character.

And it is no thanks to delusional spacies and falcons playing the fastest and most punishing characters in the game and saying everyone plays gay.

Not every character has the luxury of pushing buttons in certain sequences for unpunishable shield pressure.

I think Armada plays aggressively in general, but there are certain matches where he can't be aggressive without getting owned for it, because of his character.

:phone:

Tekk

Smash Lord
Overlord for #1 Ice Fanboy
Well he's the only one here saying that Ice =/> M2K, so he's a fanboy ?

I think the best attitude to have here is to wait for Ice to go the US, and then see if he "gets rocked" by Zhu's falco or Mango's fox.
Making assumptions based on a few videos and impressions you have is really irrelevant.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I agree with Tekk though. I know that if this topic is discussed M2K always comes out as #1. Not that I disagree or dislike him in any way but aside from M2K i wanted to get a feel for who ppl though was the best minus M2K....read the title everyone -_-.

Did Armada just say Hella btw? O____O ****!

Also HYPE! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaSSTXJ-ZMQ

Veetaak

Smash Lord
There is definitely a difference between the average EU player vs the average American player. It feels like our spacies are doing more work with the shield pressure and I don't know if that's because we shield for a longer period of time or whatever. But it feels like we don't have as good tech skill as the americans in general. Some of us have but I see more good EU players ****ing up their tech skill than good americans.

But idk really

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
There is definitely a difference between the average EU player vs the average American player. It feels like our spacies are doing more work with the shield pressure and I don't know if that's because we shield for a longer period of time or whatever. But it feels like we don't have as good tech skill as the americans in general. Some of us have but I see more good EU players ****ing up their tech skill than good americans.

But idk really
Because Americans have no life :awesome:

Wake

Smash Master
People (in general) have completely lost sight of what it means to be aggressive and what it means to play a rushdown character.

And it is no thanks to delusional spacies and falcons playing the fastest and most punishing characters in the game and saying everyone plays gay.

Not every character has the luxury of pushing buttons in certain sequences for unpunishable shield pressure.

I think Armada plays aggressively in general, but there are certain matches where he can't be aggressive without getting owned for it, because of his character.

:phone:
Sooo goood and sooo true, :)

OverLord

Smash Ace
Well he's the only one here saying that Ice =/> M2K, so he's a fanboy ?

I think the best attitude to have here is to wait for Ice to go the US, and then see if he "gets rocked" by Zhu's falco or Mango's fox.
Making assumptions based on a few videos and impressions you have is really irrelevant.

Actually I know it seems I got back from BEAST II and became an Ice's fanboy, but that's not actually the case, I'll wait 'til Ice go to US and see what happens. (I know what's gonna happen LOLRAPE :awesome:)

Armada

Smash Lord
Taj: Awesome post and you gave me faith that some people still understand this kind of things better than I thought =)

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Actually I know it seems I got back from BEAST II and became an Ice's fanboy, but that's not actually the case, I'll wait 'til Ice go to US and see what happens. (I know what's gonna happen LOLRAPE :awesome:)
I'd give ICE top 5 as long as he doesn't run into our sheiks/Puff's really early in tournament. He is good. I modeled my game-play after him M2K and Strawhat.

huMps

Smash Ace
Ice looks like and easy second best right now imo, but m2k looks just as easily to be number 1.
I can see Ice getting much better though, especially if he comes to Apex:)

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I agree. M2K and Ice right now in my view seem about even overall some better at Match-ups than others but overall they play at the same level. M2K doesn't practice the game or play it as actively as before. he feels better fagging his way to the higher places with Sheik...and that is alright. I think by this time next year we'll be at the point when a handful of Marths are = or slightly better than him. and that is a good thing in my view.

huMps

Smash Ace
I don't know, M2k's marth was looking pretty fresh against Zhu at No Johns. I'm assuming he's been putting in some kind of practice. Those were some real good matches.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
he has recently (within the last 6 months) been actually practicing different scenarios and trying to advance his Marth's metagame. even tho he practices against falcos and stuff he just always feels like he's playing badly after game 1 against pp/mango's falco =( i feel like if he's playing well they'd be close sets or in m2k's favor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom