• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who is the Best Marth right now?(Mew2King excluded)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
I've only ever seen Cactus and No Ca$h go green.
I'm going white from now on, **** it.
I was gonna start going blue. But Niko and Dart beat me to it? D:

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
I honestly think...That Ice is the 2nd best Marth to M2K. Just because EVERYONE KNOWS that nobody knows the marth/peach MU better than M2K and Armada. But what I've been thinking about lately, how is Armada so good at the MU? Because of Ice. That's why I'm thinking Ice has to be a pretty high level player. I really wanna see him come and get top 5 in a national.

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
Nah BigD, you're right. I was sick during Pound 4 Round 3 Pools and Fox is one of my worst matchups. I got ***** by all three Fox players in that pool just as badly as Kels ***** me. Going off of Pound 4 results I'm just another Marth.

Ice is likely a more well-rounded Marth than me. Especially if he can toe-to-toe Armada. I need to make a trip out to Sweden, cuz I'm sure 60 minutes with Armada would give me the best spacing on the planet. Definitely can't sleep on Ice, we need more vids of him, but I'm more than open to the possibility of him being the next best Marth to M2K... and Axe if he decides to kill people. :awesome: (Axe's Marth is incredible, he just likes to play with his food.)

I'm just really good at killing the bird, decent at dittos, and good enough at every other match-up except Falcon and Fox. I'll probably start working harder on those match-ups in the near future, but for now I appreciate the praise. I've been a Marth player for a very long time, and I've had some pretty big accomplishments that only two people even heard about prior to Genesis 2.

Thank you guys for your recognition. Thanks AZ for supporting me. :)

Black Marth is the best. Red is a close second.

I think I was just lucky, I was on when I needed to be on at that tournament. The probability of me repeating my placing is pretty low, unless I get super good when Wobbles moves back to AZ soon. :chuckle:

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
I hate when good players are modest :(
YOU OWN TAJ. I learned so many things from just watching those videos. I really liked that you went Marth and M2. That is sick.

Armada

Smash Lord
I honestly think...That Ice is the 2nd best Marth to M2K. Just because EVERYONE KNOWS that nobody knows the marth/peach MU better than M2K and Armada. But what I've been thinking about lately, how is Armada so good at the MU? Because of Ice. That's why I'm thinking Ice has to be a pretty high level player. I really wanna see him come and get top 5 in a national.
To be honest I learned that MU before I even know Ice.
Ofc our set have helped me a lot but back in 07 so many people played Marth against me.

I think it´s fair to say Taj as number 2 of the Marth players atm (really good job man).

Taj: Would love to see you in Sweden but if not we will play a lot of friendlis next time =).
After Taj I think Ice is a close third (He is really good)

Really fun to se many Marth players in the bracket (and playing friendlis against a lot of you) =)

SpeedyJ

Smash Journeyman
Ken.

Lol jokes, Mango and Taj have really sick Marths in my opinion. I really wanna see more of Mango's Marth. ;D

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
Ken.

Lol jokes, Mango and Taj have really sick Marths in my opinion. I really wanna see more of Mango's Marth. ;D
fun fact: Taj beat Ken in Marth dittos and ***** Chu's ICs to win one of Ken's Bi-weeklies back in 2007

Too bad Manacloud never posted the results or vids

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
TML = manacloud?
Since when?

I played blue before dart did. Mostly because he played the color i wanted back then. (Black) That was a long time ago though.

Do i win a prize?

:phone:

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
No but really, shoutouts to dart for going from ok to bracket @ gen2, from playing like 2 people over and over again.

Pretty good.

Come visit me soon.

:phone:

Dart!

Smash Master
i have less people to work with and matchups that i don't need practice in. idk how i beat anybody besides fox and falcon. it showed how i got scraped by noob falcos.

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
I feel your pain, Dart. :(

Though anyone making it to Round 3 I wouldn't necessarily call them a noob. :p

I think the best I got to work for me is just having my usual training partners play their secondaries and telling them to try different things. Even though they're less technical and familiar than a main, you can work on generally universal things like powershielding lasers, character specific combos, edgeguards, and dealing with their bread and butter approaches.

That at least carried me through tournaments in the past. Just playing lots of friendlies or money matches against the characters that give you a lot of trouble before the tournament will help you win when it counts, even if you're not actually good at that match-up. It's something Zhu did to M2K at Genesis1, if I recall correctly. It may even be a little underhanded, but it is an option.

ILM

Smash Journeyman
I have the exact same problem as you two. I have exactly one person who I can play smash against regularly, and so my matchup experience is really really limited. He mains Falco and Sheik, so luckily I get some difficult matchup practice, but at the same time I'm losing to really scrubby Foxes and Falcons (Not that I'm good, I'm really not, but these are people below even my skill level.). It's probably the biggest reason I'm as bad as I am.

Dart!

Smash Master
I feel your pain, Dart. :(

Though anyone making it to Round 3 I wouldn't necessarily call them a noob. :p

I think the best I got to work for me is just having my usual training partners play their secondaries and telling them to try different things. Even though they're less technical and familiar than a main, you can work on generally universal things like powershielding lasers, character specific combos, edgeguards, and dealing with their bread and butter approaches.

That at least carried me through tournaments in the past. Just playing lots of friendlies or money matches against the characters that give you a lot of trouble before the tournament will help you win when it counts, even if you're not actually good at that match-up. It's something Zhu did to M2K at Genesis1, if I recall correctly. It may even be a little underhanded, but it is an option.
thanks for understanding. it ****ing sucks only getting to practice against certain chars. really makes playing with the crew really boring. i end up just using my secondaries
i think i'll try that though some people in my crew feel the need to play chars like ness...

I have the exact same problem as you two. I have exactly one person who I can play smash against regularly, and so my matchup experience is really really limited. He mains Falco and Sheik, so luckily I get some difficult matchup practice, but at the same time I'm losing to really scrubby Foxes and Falcons (Not that I'm good, I'm really not, but these are people below even my skill level.). It's probably the biggest reason I'm as bad as I am.
ok, fox is a universal matchup imo when you learn it you'll be good.
falcon on the other hand is sooooooooooooo different if you fight aggro/defensive styles.
like aggro you have to be more cautious about getting hit and protecting yourself, defensive you have to keep him in front of you and make sure your hits count. imo aggro is easier to fight because they throw themselves into your moves too much.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
I really wish I had posted in here before Genesis 2. Just an FYI, I was there at that Ken bi-weekly where Taj got first. Here is a link to the bracket:
http://allisbrawl.com/brackets/bracket131.gif
And the tourney topic
http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=42

I can't vouch too much for who I think the best Marths are. Although I feel it's pretty obvious right now that Taj is the best...and that's not even with an "excluding M2K" clause.

After Taj, I really like Dart, Arc, PPU, and Tai. I don't follow EC well enough to know more about Niko or Jesiah. Not too long ago I would've nominated FMF for his amazing performance vs DaShiz a while back but it looks like he quit too. Seems like there are a lot of Marths though that are in that...semi-pro level where they're good but not quite good enough.

I definitely think Dart is only getting better and I know Arc is putting in some preparation for Apex so look out. If PPU played more often and left Norcal he would be insane. Plus I hear he's like...15? Tai is very smart and also needs to travel a little more. But then again so does Taj.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I really wish I had posted in here before Genesis 2. Just an FYI, I was there at that Ken bi-weekly where Taj got first. Here is a link to the bracket:
http://allisbrawl.com/brackets/bracket131.gif
And the tourney topic
http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=42

I can't vouch too much for who I think the best Marths are. Although I feel it's pretty obvious right now that Taj is the best...and that's not even with an "excluding M2K" clause.

After Taj, I really like Dart, Arc, PPU, and Tai. I don't follow EC well enough to know more about Niko or Jeshiah. Not too long ago I would've nominated FMF for his amazing performance vs DaShiz a while back. Seems like there are a lot of Marths though that are in that...semi-pro level where they're good but not quite good enough.

I definitely think Dart is only getting better and I know Arc is putting in some preparation for Apex so look out. If PPU played more often and left Norcal he would be insane. Plus I hear he's like...15? Tai is very smart and also needs to travel a little more. But then again so does Taj.
not disagreeing with anything in particular but you didn't just leave out east coast. You left out entire countries.....you left out entire continents!

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
not disagreeing with anything in particular but you didn't just leave out east coast. You left out entire countries.....you left out entire continents!
Oh yeah! Rofl. I'm also a huge fan of IB. His extremely confident style is gorgeous. Strawhat was pretty good but apparently he quit. And to be honest (and I'm a little embarrassed to admit) I haven't really seen much from Ice =/

But as it stands, IB would be my favorite foreign Marth.

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
Wow! Thanks Bane, for finding that bracket. That was definitely one of my best accomplishments that went unnoticed through the years. :)

juiey2

Smash Cadet
you know, for me the best marth ever will be always ken, he's coming back at the apex, so we can say that

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Ken is not the best marth right now though......but thanks for the fanboying we need more of it on smashboards:awesome:

<3 Ken Watch the King of Smash alot. However everyday I notice just how far behind he is now even if he was far ahead in his best days.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
I always hoped that Ken would come back. **** EVERYONE. And then be all "lolz you guys still suck"
And then never return for another 5 years O.o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom