• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What hasn't been hacked?

...:::VILE:::...

Smash Ace
What hasn't been hacked in brawl yet?

Im thinking about looking into the item spawning in stages, but if there is anything better, tell me here, i might have a look at it.

I just want as much as possible to be hacked in brawl, one day i plan on completely reconstructing brawl (a holdout till next SSB).

Almas

Smash Lord
I think many people would be interested in changing the structure of menus - perhaps less interesting than items, but the ability to add, remove, or move the position of menu items would probably be a very useful feature.

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
Actually, I thought of something really important.

If you could find where the game is allocating memory, say, for each .pac, many people would love you.
Because as it is, PSA's and everything else we do are limited by filesize constraints unique to each file.

Almas

Smash Lord
The general regions of each data file is already known, albeit underpublished. The specifics of this are unknown, but stored and controlled in the module files of characters AFAIK. Module file modification is something Phantom Wings is working on, although he has not been heard from for a while (which is not really surprising, he only publishes when he has results).

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
To my knowledge, we still can't edit the hitbox data for stage hazards, and our ability to edit the progression of events on stages is somewhat limited (like if you wanted to make the catapult on Pirate Ship appear more often and the King of Red Lions appear less often, for instance). That's probably more interesting than item spawns or menus.

SqLeon

Smash Journeyman
I think the next big thing, or close to it, would be able to add characters to the select screen. I guess this would be similar to the module thing.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
Well, everything I was going to say has already been mentioned. Stage hazard edits, file size limits, etc.

swordgard

Smash Hero
Replay structure data, Id really like if that had been hacked. Especially the difference between ntsc replays and pal replays.

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
Clone Engine that can play two characters that have the same base model (Marth and Roy at the same time for example)

Being able to ADD things without replacing anything, especially bones

AI scripting, not really fully mastered

Decoding how the Online Brawl Works

8-way movement for Brawl? lol

Probably enabling more than 4 characters at the same time without crashing?

More about coding here: (Slightly off-topic tho)
How about Buffer in all modes
No Items in all modes (SSE, Single Player, Boss, All-Star)

luigiman1928

Smash Ace
I think what we have'nt done is Make our own Lighting. 8-way movement's already been made, but its buggy. Here i made a nice list of things we need done!

Original/custom Lighting

Sound effects *hintVILE I NEED YOU HEREhint*

Find a way to edit the ST_FILENAME.BIN's for Stage builder, how we can make them rotate.

.REL additions. Like said, this could help with new character on CSS.

Easier Vertex guide! (lol)

Giving the Game a Health Bar instead of Damage.

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
Hmm, lol maybe I shoulda mentioned perfect 8-way movement, being fully playable and being able to make a battle system out of it XD

Number 1 priority should be being able to add characters on CSS without replacing anything (anyone else agree? :D )

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Replay structure data, Id really like if that had been hacked. Especially the difference between ntsc replays and pal replays.
As of the last time I looked into this (a very long time ago), the replay file structure was pretty well known and documented, but a small cabal of self-interested coders keep the encryption key hidden away from the masses largely so they can retain their monopoly on snapshot conversion and such things. Without that key, you can't hope to do anything interesting.

It has been a while though; maybe that key has become public in the meantime.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
how about changing the names of each character on the little SSE intros in the cutscenes?

•Col•

Smash Champion
how about changing the names of each character on the little SSE intros in the cutscenes?
Uh.... I'm pretty sure that's IN the video... Not like it actually pops up a textbox or w/e... >_>

What would be the point in changing the names in the cutscenes, anyway? XD

camzy

Smash Journeyman
Lots of rather big things have yet to be hacked.

1. Clone engine. This is the big one and PW is working on it.
2. Stage hazard editing. We can't really do much with hazards and it's either on or off.
3. Sound effects. I know Vile is working on it, but it's relatively new and untested.
4. Model hacking. No models have yet to be hacked into the game freeze free. We're still only on vertices.
5. Fuller control of menus. We can now recolor them and add custom CSS and SSS but there's still a lot we can do.

Memory is the key. We are limited by what we can replace by filesize. If these limits get removed the sky's the limit!

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
Uh.... I'm pretty sure that's IN the video... Not like it actually pops up a textbox or w/e... >_>

What would be the point in changing the names in the cutscenes, anyway? XD
Nope its not in the video ^_^, its a separate file, when trying to make a conservative version of my Brawl, I used a backup for playing Brawl (too overprotective with my original lol)
So all videos get replaced with the first SSE scene, in all the scenes, it has a separate textbox.

Almas

Smash Lord
I believe part of why a lot of the encryption for replays/snapshots has been concealed is because of an argument which was made which implied that possession of the key implied reverse engineering which was suggested to be illegal. Which parts of the argument were valid I know not. Apart from that it is probably disinterest in posting the key rather than anyone specifically holding out.

Necrotic

Death By Necrosis
How about the ability to change controllers with out having to quit everything. like online. I wouldnt install anything just tossing ideas.
+sheild color

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Umm, they've found out how to import foreign models from other games that use .mdl0, but I don't think they know how to put in custom models yet.

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
Umm, they've found out how to import foreign models from other games that use .mdl0, but I don't think they know how to put in custom models yet.
Custom models are just a matter of converting a given format (.3ds for 3DS max, for example) to MDL0. It highly depends on the source format.

Nice Lelouche, btw.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
Nope its not in the video ^_^, its a separate file, when trying to make a conservative version of my Brawl, I used a backup for playing Brawl (too overprotective with my original lol)
So all videos get replaced with the first SSE scene, in all the scenes, it has a separate textbox.
exactly

given the correct directory, i think we just need a file replacement code that recognizes these files

also, the reason? it would look ****in tight to have your own name there. or hilarious, depending on what you put!

stingers

Smash Obsessed
I didn't know you guys knew how to convert to .mdl0 >.> I read through the whole topic last night and I kinda remember some discussion on .dae to .mdl0 or something like that, but yeah, I don't really know what I'm talking about :p

and thanks, you too =)

BurnBurn

Smash Apprentice
new characters on css

i really wanna play shadow, sonic, and jigglypuff and wisp at the same time >_>

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
I would like to see the file size limit problem fixed or at least, slots for new characters.

Buci01

Smash Journeyman
How about, and this is just me with an unhacked Wii

a downloadable Version of Brawl for the PC with unlimited file sizes and an unrestricted number of playable characters, so I and everyone else can play Super Smash Bros. Awesome+ !

brawlshifter

Smash Lord
If you look at this, you're a stalker: NorCal
Im thinking about looking into the item spawning in stages
That's been done.

What hasn't been hacked in brawl yet?
Action scripts, DAE to MDL0 conversion, hurtboxes, plus everything else that has been said.

I didn't know you guys knew how to convert to .mdl0 >.> I read through the whole topic last night and I kinda remember some discussion on .dae to .mdl0 or something like that, but yeah, I don't really know what I'm talking about :p
There is no DAE to MDL0 converter yet, but there is a MDL0 to MDL0 converter. (Just check the MDL0 Files From Other Games thread.)

fortwaffles

Smash Ace
maybe make a simpler sound manager. with your guide on how to hack sounds, we should add support to put these into single character packs, which can be inserted into the brsar with a simple program.

Edit: on second thought... an ips patcher could do this :\

BG3

Smash Journeyman
I know many people have rejected this idea many times over and over, but I really think it would turn out quite interesting if it happened. Project Items, something that would BALANCE items, so final smashes and whatnot aren't so broken. Sure it is pretty much on the bottom of the list of the things that need to be hacked, but I do think that this wouldn't as difficult as some of the other things mentioned.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Apparently, there isn't much left in terms of what hasn't been hacked yet. Of course, some of the already hacked stuff is rarely ever talked about (Ex.: Textures for the Subspace Emissary enemies).

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Adding in 100% custom/scratch models. >_>

Top Bottom