• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What hasn't been hacked?

DevilKiller

Smash Apprentice
Like what, Dantarion? Stop saying that and just come out with it. :)

We can import models now, but importing animations would sure cut down the amount of work of bringing new characters to Brawl.

My insane idea for Brawl is to connect it to the Internet, to the Smash Workshop, download straight from there onto your SD card, and play what you download. All on your Wii. Never touch a computer again. Too bad this will never happen.

Really, the only note-worthy thing I can think of is creating programs that simplify all of the hacking we've discovered now. Simplified music hacking has been made to some degree, but a lot of "artists" (artists in quotation marks, some of us are highly questionable when it comes to art) with no computer skill are left out when it comes to models and animations.

Course, Kryal is gaining a monopoly by updating his Brawlbox and making it easier everytime. :)

Fijoe

Smash Journeyman
How about Wifi codes, I haven't seen any new ones in a while...

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
I know I'm not Dantarion, but I'm going to start keeping a list of everything that has been said here, plus the many things I can think of in my head, and in a few days I'll show the list here.
Please do :)
Also, maybe you could keep it in order of priority that everyone wants first

DevilKiller

Smash Apprentice
What's I'd like to see is combining One-Player Mode and Versus together somehow. As far as we know, none of the unique single-player elements actually exist in Versus. There are no Primids or Boss Characters running around trying to interrupt with your match.

Or will there be?

I'm not talking about playable characters. I'm talking about CPU Enemies. They can drop like Alloys from the skies and wreck havoc on a Versus free-for-all match. Perhaps they can replace Assist Trophies, but I have a feeling that if that could be done easily, it would have been done a long time a go.

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
What's I'd like to see is combining One-Player Mode and Versus together somehow. As far as we know, none of the unique single-player elements actually exist in Versus. There are no Primids or Boss Characters running around trying to interrupt with your match.

Or will there be?

I'm not talking about playable characters. I'm talking about CPU Enemies. They can drop like Alloys from the skies and wreck havoc on a Versus free-for-all match. Perhaps they can replace Assist Trophies, but I have a feeling that if that could be done easily, it would have been done a long time a go.
Well, maybe as a mode in Special Brawl, but IMO... that sounds incredibly annoying. Primids dropping from nowhere? This would be awesome in an alternative mode, but I wouldnt replace normal VS Mode with it. But thats just me :p

Akuma2120

Smash Ace
Well it's been said, but I think the major one that has no known progress is adding characters to the CSS/playing Sonic vs Shadow and such

Model importing is close maybe?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Introducing completely new mechanics into the game that are not in any way, shape, or form, in the current game's coding.

Pretty much, going beyond hacking, and going into adding.

ChuteTheMessenger

Village's Strongest Hitman
I believe I've read somewhere that hacking the movies (cutscenes) is possible. Is this true? A custom opening cutscene would be cool.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Heres the deal.

You guys can dream and speculate all you want about what would be cool and what the people who hack Brawl should do next, but to be honest, I personally, am not gonna spend hours trying to do something someone spends 5 minutes posting.

For example, people wanted to edit articles for the longest time. PW had obviously done it with Phoenix Mario, so it was possible. However, even when I was writing OpenSA, I had made 0 progress on articles. Someone started that article offset thread (TSON?) and after a week or two, they had a bunch of offsets down for articles.

In basiaclly 1 week of messing around, I got articles working in OpenSA BASED on all the peoples work in that thread. Go read the thread, I dont think I even posted that much in it for a long time, but basically the thread gave me enough info to get to work.

TSON also posted 3 Nana offsets and that was enough....for me to find ALL of them...in about 15 minutes. Thats right, something as desired as editing Nana only took me 15 minutes once I had someplace to start.

Im not asking everyone on Smashboards to get a USBGecko and start working on stuff without any help(Phantom Style Coding XD. I am just saying "Do what you can, and the coders/gurus whatever will be more likely to help you"

Almas helped me with the alternate stage loader. He posted a bit about how his code worked, and I literally got it working that week. PW posted the stage collision format and Kyral and I had editors in like a month. Guy,TSON,Shanus, and others constantly test my stuff on IRC and yell at me small imrpovements to my apps.

JamesRaynor

Smash Apprentice
How about being able to add in new items, maybe like ones from previous SSB games?

What about being able to use stuff from the SSE in the normal game?

Alphatron

Smash Champion
If I had constant computer acess, I'd more or less be willing to look into things more. However, I'm severely limited in what I can test and play around with. What Dantarion says does ring true though. We can't just wait for the hackers to find everything for us.

ShadyGT

Smash Cadet
I would like to see instead just the CSS picture at the bottom, the model of the character with hios wait animation:laugh: and the changed texture if i pick another color :psycho:

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
This has been mentioned before as an idea but never tried out before - the ability to change the number of songs per stage. As in , taking two song slots away from Halberd and giving them to Frigate Orpheon. If you can find a way to do that, I'd be set for Brawl hacking :laugh:

...:::VILE:::...

Smash Ace
Ive always wanted to find the data allocation, but i have a huge bet that most is already known, or at least the general area of it.

If anyone knows anything on data allocation, hit me up with a pm.

Slashy

Smash Lord
-Event match hacking

-Save File Hacking will be important, these character stats will never be able to be saved without a increasing the save file size to support these new array values. Also, unlike most people, I find unlocking characters in Smash Bros. to give me a rush. Nothing feels more satisfying than

-Aside from that it would be implementing the second death screams that everyone talks about, but that is PSA work.

-Changing Tournament Mode CSS and SSS and allowing handicap settings there

-Ability to create new series'

iRJi

Smash Champion
Auto stage selection song chooser.

When you turn on the wii, on any wii, it will automacticlly only select the songs that are hacked, so you dont have to switch songs on and off depending on what wii you use. This hack will be helpful.

Meccs

@Meccs_
I'd say that clone engine/adding new characters to CSS is #1 priority right now.
Then importing/creating new models that work. (for instnace, putting in Mewtwo's Melee model or something)
and for ****s and giggles: stock ball = character head like Melee/64. (if that hasn't already been done, I vaguely remember reading something about it)

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340

When you turn on the wii, on any wii, it will automacticlly only select the songs that are hacked, so you dont have to switch songs on and off depending on what wii you use. This hack will be helpful.
Definitely
I second this, that way you wouldn't have to go into My Music EVERY SINGLE TIME to adjust the songs so your custom ones play :laugh:

brawlshifter

Smash Lord
If you look at this, you're a stalker: NorCal
I believe I've read somewhere that hacking the movies (cutscenes) is possible. Is this true? A custom opening cutscene would be cool.
Yeah, its true.

Everyone, I just want to say one thing: When you suggest something, keep it in reality, as in, things like this:

And this:
I would like to see instead just the CSS picture at the bottom, the model of the character with hios wait animation:laugh: and the changed texture if i pick another color :psycho:
And this:
WiiSpeak support.
Are not going to happen. There are limits to what you can hack a game to do. I just wanted to point this out to people.

...:::VILE:::...

Smash Ace
There is no limit to how much a game can be hacked.

All the info of the game is there, if we had some freak who could decode everything into its base form and recompile it, we would be able to have limitless possibilities. Its just very unlikely.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
-Save File Hacking will be important, these character stats will never be able to be saved without a increasing the save file size to support these new array values. Also, unlike most people, I find unlocking characters in Smash Bros. to give me a rush. Nothing feels more satisfying than

I too have a satisfying feeling when unlocking a character :urg:

brawlshifter

Smash Lord
If you look at this, you're a stalker: NorCal
There is no limit to how much a game can be hacked.

All the info of the game is there, if we had some freak who could decode everything into its base form and recompile it, we would be able to have limitless possibilities. Its just very unlikely.
Wouldn't that not even be considered hacking anymore, if you have to completely recomplie the game? And even so, I wouldn't think there is a way for the game to detect custom songs, right? And I highly doubt it, but I guess it might be possible to put an animated image on the CSS.

Please do point out where. I've been trying to find a link explaining/showing this for forever.
Its only possible through ISO hacking (or SD loading), so unless you use one of those methods, then it would be useless information.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
This has been mentioned before as an idea but never tried out before - the ability to change the number of songs per stage. As in , taking two song slots away from Halberd and giving them to Frigate Orpheon. If you can find a way to do that, I'd be set for Brawl hacking :laugh:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syqjd3scL-4

:p

@dant: Honestly, I'd feel bad taking credit for that thread. Kirk taught me what he knew and I went on from there. If you look at it, I've actually contributed very little to it. At the time of creating it, it seemed foreign to me still. With all the work you've done, it's just easy mode now :p

Higure Hokousha

Smash Rookie
As a warning, below there is a rather lengthy speech, but my suggestions for what to hack are bulleted.

As I see it, the ultimate achievement of brawl hacking
would be for hackers to create completely new Smash games.
Every character new(either a new moveset for an existing
character or a new character all together). A multitude of
new stages, with fully constructed backgrounds and stage
hazards. An entirely new story mode(for those aspiring
authors among us). All new music and menus. New ways
to play, such as the 8-way gameplay or CPU enemies mentioned
by others in the thread. New physics as was also mentioned
above as a possibility. We can do much of this already,
the only things still needed that I know of are tools or methods for:
Model Importing(conversion to MDLO)
-Bone creation(might be easier to convert to .dae or .blend, add bones in a modeling editing program, and then covert back to MDL0)
-Feature Locking and Unlocking(so that we can see that beautiful "Warning! Challenger Approaching!" screen)
-Customizable Stage Hazards
-Full understanding of the workings of stages(Lighting, more animation, item spawning, stage size modification, etc.)
-A way to work around file size limits.
-A way to load more files(Maybe you could store the data in-game somehow, then insert another SD card?)
-More character slots(clone engine and module hacking)
-Base physics modification
-A method to add truly new features to the game
-An effective way to edit the cutscenes, add new levels and enemies, and modify other features of Adventure Mode.
-AI editing(which is already being worked on)
-A method to add fully new gameplay mechanics(Race to the Finish anyone?:laugh:) and items(if you want them) to the game.

Lastly, I'd like to say that Dantarion was completely right. I've been lurking around since just before PSA was released, and I still remember the Forum posts in anticipation of "Project Zero." People jokingly threw around that it was Pichu, or the Forbidden 7, or a hundred other things. I don't remember(although I do have awful memory) anyone throwing out a moveset modifier as a possibility. Texture hacking was a big deal, and movesets were a thing of legend.

Sense then, this community has progressed at an amazing rate. I've seen other game hacking groups, and texture hacking is as far as many go for PC games, here you took what you had and ran with it.

ASH, STASH, and CUPASH gave way to Brawlbox. Initial toying with PSA created things like Epic Falcon, and then grew and matured, producing the likes of Soren, Mewtwo, and so many others. Animation hacking was born, and was rapidly integrated, followed by model replacement, and now we can play as Isaac and Lyn. The genesis of vertex editing created Project Cloud, a character who's model was modified at the most basic level.

As Dantarion mentioned, small steps by the members of this community expand rapidly into maturity. Some of the things I mentioned above, as well as others mentioned in the thread(detecting custom songs for example) may seem difficult or impossible, but last June, PSA seemed obscenely difficult if not impossible. There is little that can't be achieved if we keep working, if everyone takes the time to look up that one little offset in PSA, or to test that set of variables. As long as we don't become stagnant, as long as we don't 'just make do,' this community will create more and more amazing things.

...:::VILE:::... is right, there is no limit to hacking. Everything in the game is there for us, and slowly, we are learning to add those things which aren't. So why are we sitting here waiting for the Kryals and Phantom Wings of the world to hack, when we're all here, each with at least a little know-how, and the means to learn more and more. When we could be out there creating something wonderful.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
Im not asking everyone on Smashboards to get a USBGecko and start working on stuff without any help(Phantom Style Coding XD. I am just saying "Do what you can, and the coders/gurus whatever will be more likely to help you"
this said

AmazingAmpharos was looking around Brawl's data and found the folder for the SSE cutscenes and a folder in the same directory that contains the names for the character intros (.pac files). he said that if we were to replace them, the correct directory would be...

F:\private\wii\app\RSBE\pf\Movie\Param\US

can anyone make a new file replacement code that recognizes this directory and replaces the files accordingly?

Top Bottom