• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Recovery tier list V1.1

SSJ5Goku8932

Smash Lord
I do agree about Jigglys recovery higher than ROB.She acn air dodge in the 5 jumps.ROB cannot do anything if the oppenent trys to hit him.

Nitrix

Smash Ace
You can edgehog Diddy's recovery! What the hell is the difference? Diddy has just as many options as ZSS, but ZSS's flip jump is better than his Side B, she can deal with edgeguarders *way* better than he can, she does not go into freefall from anything (meaning she can Side B and Up B an edgehogger... or even down B), and she has nice range for how quick it tethers. Plus she jumps higher.

Diddy has a better recovery. Diddy doesn't rely on a tether, and can recover from many more position than ZSS can. Furthermore, Diddy has the side-B diddy hump to cover even more distance.

Earthbound Zero

Smash Journeyman
I do agree about Jigglys recovery higher than ROB.She acn air dodge in the 5 jumps.ROB cannot do anything if the oppenent trys to hit him.
Yes he can.

He, like Jigglypuff, does not ever go helpless during recovery. He can airdodge and attack even when his Up-B runs out of fuel.

Jiggs still has a better recovery however, imo.

Brave Hippo

Smash Ace
No Pikmin Olimar lower than one Ice Climber? Horizontally Yes, Vertically No. Still, pretty good list we have here.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Yes he can.

He, like Jigglypuff, does not ever go helpless during recovery. He can airdodge and attack even when his Up-B runs out of fuel.

Jiggs still has a better recovery however, imo.
Sort of. ROB can air dodge once he uses an aerial.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
No Pikmin Olimar lower than one Ice Climber? Horizontally Yes, Vertically No. Still, pretty good list we have here.
Yeah but horizontal recovery is more important in Brawl than a slight vertical advantage.

And I personally think with all of ZSS options, her recovery is better than Diddy. I lvoe how Jigglypuff can gimp many of them. But G&W deserves to be very high. His recovery is almost ungimpable.

Tachyon

Smash Cadet
Cedar Hill, Texas and Hawkins, Texas (college)
Ok. I've always wondered that. I don't play a lot of GnW except for when my friend picks him for random fun play. How is recovery so Ungimpable. He came in 2nd for the thread about hardest recovery to gimp. All I see that he has is UpB trampoline and the glide with the umbrella or whatever afterward.

OF COURSE, I'm probable missing something. Like I said. I don't play against a lot of GnW and I don't use him ever so I do not know. But nothing he does really makes it LOOK like it's that hard to gimp. However if people think he's harder to gimp then MK then there's got to be something there.

Genome Squirrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DarkCoffee
Out of curiosity why don't you just describe each character's strengths and weaknesses in the opening post instead of just putting a trite, nondescript teir list. You would get much better discussion than "X character should be higher," or "this looks about right."

chris the brawler

Smash Ace
i belive pit should be lower cuz if his up-spec is cancelled he can't use it again. and YESZ olimar and ivy's recoviry sucks. if someone grabs the edge you better get back with using only ur arial jump!

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
Ok. I've always wondered that. I don't play a lot of GnW except for when my friend picks him for random fun play. How is recovery so Ungimpable. He came in 2nd for the thread about hardest recovery to gimp. All I see that he has is UpB trampoline and the glide with the umbrella or whatever afterward.

OF COURSE, I'm probable missing something. Like I said. I don't play against a lot of GnW and I don't use him ever so I do not know. But nothing he does really makes it LOOK like it's that hard to gimp. However if people think he's harder to gimp then MK then there's got to be something there.
The reason G&W is so hard to gimp is that

His up B has invinciblity at the start
It covers an insane vertical distance at a very high speed
It sweetspots the edge

Basically if you try to intercept him, you'll likely get hit by him on the way up. If you try to edgehog him, he'll just land on stage (punishable, but not equal to a gimp).

He is also tied with Marth for 11th or 12th best horizontal air speed

SSJ5Goku8932

Smash Lord
LOL Gw not hard to Gimp,try playing one and see if you can gimp him with Metaknight.

But anyway Jiggly needs to go higher,Snake has a Recovery that shouts,SPIKE ME.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
LOL Gw not hard to Gimp,try playing one and see if you can gimp him with Metaknight.

You can airdodge/attack out of his last jump, not to mention his ability to use C4 for recovery. :laugh:

SSJ5Goku8932

Smash Lord
If you try to airdodge his last jump and miss the ledge,well you know.Happened to me alot of times because Snake was to busy getting fat.C4 is kinda risky.

brinboy789

Smash Champion
If you try to airdodge his last jump and miss the ledge,well you know.Happened to me alot of times because Snake was to busy getting fat.C4 is kinda risky.
if you missed the ledge, then you should of known that you couldnt reach the edge and C4 recover. a C$ recovery is not risky unless you are in the high percentages or you are directly under the stage.

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
ZSS Should be alot higher I believe.
And Wario's recovery isnt that great..even with the bike.

bludhoundz

Smash Ace

If the G&W is good, you will not gimp him often, even with MK.

Even so, being able to gimp someone with MK =/= them being easy to gimp. MK is the gimp king.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
That's obviously not true at all (about the length).
Though, they both have terrible recovery. I would like to say single IC has a better recovery, since, with good DI, you can aim yourself higher towards the blastzones and use squall hammer for some horizontal recovery.

And I'm going to throw it out there that I believe G&W's recovery should be ahead of Kirby.
Yeah.

gallax

Smash Hero
pika should be higher on the list. we have the skullbash which brings us back into horizontal range and then the qa which can go any 2 directions. as long as they arent in the exact same direction. how many times hve you heard of a pika getting gimped when using the qa? usually its when the user messes up and doesnt use the second part of the qa or they have been spike when using the skullbash.

another thing worthy of mentioning is that i have stage spike the opponent using the skullbash as a recovery move when the opponent has help onto the ledge a bit to long.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
Pikachu deserves to be S tier. his recovery allows him to recover from the dead bottom of the blast zone right underneath the edge. he is also incredibly hard to gimp. even mk has a great deal of difficulty touching pika off stage.

c3gill

Smash Ace
Pikachu deserves to be S tier. his recovery allows him to recover from the dead bottom of the blast zone right underneath the edge. he is also incredibly hard to gimp. even mk has a great deal of difficulty touching pika off stage.
Lucus is above pikachu? wtf.

Skull Bash + Quick Attack = godly recovery.

......I need to ask, what Lucas recovery is this? Are you using his 2 jumps? or his 2 jumps and tether? or 2 jumps and PK2? or maybe a jump, magnet pull, to a Zap Jump to a Magnet Pull?

this is a video of proAPC doing that

^that is 2 jumps, with magnet pulls after each. Imagine that along with a PK2.....His horizontal speed after a magnet pull is unmatched, and the Zap Jump allows recovery from under any stage. PK2 gives a last second option for an edgegrab and a few invincibility frames. Lucas has the best distance recovery in the game- and with his large vertical options in Zap Jumping, one that in the hands of a decent player can be very difficult to gimp.

B!squick

Smash Master
Bowser's recovery > DK's recovery. His UpB may have less distance, but I've NEVER been in a situation where I was wishing it went further. If you DI correctly toward the corners you can just DownB to the ledge, which is pretty safe. Bowser's Up also has a ton of priority and he can recover from much further below the stage than DK.

But that's just one reason why this list is full of fail.

SSJ5Goku8932

Smash Lord
Bowser's recovery > DK's recovery. His UpB may have less distance, but I've NEVER been in a situation where I was wishing it went further. If you DI correctly toward the corners you can just DownB to the ledge, which is pretty safe. Bowser's Up also has a ton of priority and he can recover from much further below the stage than DK.

But that's just one reason why this list is full of fail.
LOL what?

Tell me you are being biased?
Because Dks recovery is not gimp food.

B!squick

Smash Master
LOL what?

Tell me you are being biased?
Because Dks recovery is not gimp food.
I fairly certain it's easier to gimp then Bowser's. As said, Bowser's UpB has more priority, goes higher, and the distance is enough. DK may have his air brake, but it put's him in free fall, defeating the purpose somewhat.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
ZSS has AMAZING recovery. For she can boost her second jump, flip jump, and recover from most anything. Her tether isn't her only way of recovery, dontcha know. And R.O.B.'s is better than Pit's in that he doesn't go into helpless. And MK does not have the best recovery. R.O.B. can cross Hyrule Temple with a double jump and Up+B.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
The mere fact that, with proper timing, you can intercept Bowser's recovery from the side does not make me budge. DK's is harder to intercept from the side. Horizontal recovery is probably a bit more important than vertical recovery in this game. You're not going to find yourself at a distance below the edge where Bowser can make it while DK can't very often.

Also, the priority on Bowser's attack is decent in the air, but that's, at best for Bowser, just as susceptible to interception as DK's is, or at worst, DK > Bowser. This is just my opinion though.

XienZo

Smash Lord
That's obviously not true at all (about the length).
Though, they both have terrible recovery. I would like to say single IC has a better recovery, since, with good DI, you can aim yourself higher towards the blastzones and use squall hammer for some horizontal recovery.
Did you watch the video?

Olimar can reach about the length of Tink's tether, perhaps a little shorter.

And also, I think Olimar is floatier than single IC, but on the other hand, squall hammer has a hitbox.

And MK does not have the best recovery. R.O.B. can cross Hyrule Temple with a double jump and Up+B.
Metaknight can go under Hyrule Temple and then make it all the way across above the stage in one huge loop without landing. Without being as predictable.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Dk also has that cool invincibility frame glitch thingy if he recovers in JUST the right spot. >_> <_<

I'd also say DK>Bowser simply because it has a bigger hitbox. They do the same thing, except against DK you have to space yourself farther back. DK's might also move through the air faster, but I'm not sure.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Metaknight can go under Hyrule Temple and then make it all the way across above the stage in one huge loop without landing. Without being as predictable.
Eh, touche. But Hey, R.O.B. does have better recovery than Pit. Plus he's a heavyweight.

B!squick

Smash Master
Dk also has that cool invincibility frame glitch thingy if he recovers in JUST the right spot. >_> <_<

I'd also say DK>Bowser simply because it has a bigger hitbox. They do the same thing, except against DK you have to space yourself farther back. DK's might also move through the air faster, but I'm not sure.
A bigger horizontal hitbox, yes, but between that and the pointless distance factor, I don't think that's enough to make it better.

XienZo

Smash Lord
Eh, touche. But Hey, R.O.B. does have better recovery than Pit. Plus he's a heavyweight.
Well, weight is mostly irrelavent in that it only determines how OFTEN you must recover, but not that you'll neccesarily recover better once you have been knocked near the blastline. Unless you want to count in if they could recover after being hit WHILE recovering, but thats a pretty small factor.

Also, for recovery, having more choices and being able to cover yourself so you won't get intercepted are important too. The issue with Rob is that his recovery is far more predictable than Pit's, and can't cover himself as well, while Pit can glide, jump, or Up-B to the ledge, while his arrows fire faster than Rob's lasers to stall the enemy. His aerials also defend him better.

Top Bottom