• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Recovery tier list V1.1

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Rank S
Metaknight

Rob
Jigglypuff
Pit

Rank A

Game and Watch
Lucas
Wario
Pikachu
Kirby
King DDD

Rank B
Luigi
Yoshi
Sonic

So...much...fail...

TheFast

Smash Lord
You will never need to travel that far to use all of pits. Pit can be spiked and hit after his up-b and he just dies. Rob can get spike and go nowhere. Overall Rob makes it back to the stage more than pit. But purly distance pit is better but in use robs is better.

Charizards glide will get punished more than it helps. Snake can buffer his recovery with c4 making him able to come back from almost anything

If the fail is refering to sonics, well im not saying his is bad because hes in B but I believe the other peoples are better. The whole grab factor if you dont perfectly sweetspot the edge brings it down.

Ill admit i might of put Wario to high up though. Charizard might be able to go up a few. But I feel that I put ZZS Snake and Diddy in good spots.
Looking back the whole high is a lil messed up GAW is good but not the top of A i feel Pika should maybe be a lil higher than that wario and GAW down a lil.

SSJ5Goku8932

Smash Lord
You will never need to travel that far to use all of pits. Pit can be spiked and hit after his up-b and he just dies. Rob can get spike and go nowhere. Overall Rob makes it back to the stage more than pit. But purly distance pit is better but in use robs is better.

Charizards glide will get punished more than it helps. Snake can buffer his recovery with c4 making him able to come back from almost anything
Pit can basically dodge because of contol and 4 Jumps. He could go up high fast and back down quickly for a safe recovery.

Also Snakes C4 can help but takes time to utilize.Also if you have a C4 planted already and DownB you're pretty much dead.Charizard just needs glide to get to the edge.If hit he gets a free UPB.

TheFast

Smash Lord
Captain Falcons is pretty safe >_< if you wanna try and edgaurd him you can get stagespiked. But also its got good distance but above that its DI capabilities are insane. Half the time he can DI around the edge to aviod getting edgehogged. Most the characters that people dont use are getting underrated. The only person I might be doing that 2 is Sonic.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Why the hell is Pit above ROB?

e: CF's recovery isn't very safe. Generally when you edgeguard, you grab the ledge at the last second against recoveries that hurt you.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
My opinion:

Amazing tier (These recoveries offstage and at the ledge are very powerful. Amazing in terms of distance. Very hard to punish anywhere.)
Metaknight
ROB
G&W

Good tier (These recoveries are also very good, but are punishable in certain positions if not done right)
Jigglypuff
DDD
Pit
Samus
Pikachu
Wario
Kirby
Falco
Sonic
Diddy
Zero Suit Samus

OK tier (These recoveries are not the easiest to use, but have enough tools to make it back. It takes a smart player to get by unpunished however)
Peach
Snake
Marth
Ice Climbers (both together)
Luigi
Toon Link
Mario
Sheik
Fox
Lucario

Poor Tier (These recoveries might have enough to make it distancewise, but should almost always get punished by good players)
Charizard
Donkey Kong
Bowser
Squirtle
Yoshi
Wolf
Lucas
Ike
Ness

Trash tier (These recoveries can both be punished and gimped consistently. It takes a good player to merely not get gimped.)
Captain Falcon
Ganondorf
Single IC
Link
Olimar
Ivysaur

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Jigglypuff
DDD better then Pit? no
Pit
Samus lolololol
Pikachu lolololol
Wario
Kirby
Falco lol x2
Sonic
Diddy no
Zero Suit Samus

Seriously, people. Stop making your own tier list :dizzy:

SSJ5Goku8932

Smash Lord
Lucario, Yoshi, Charizard,Wario,and Falco makes your Tier list Fail.

Lucario's Recovery is not his UPB but his jumps and float. Its hard to gimp his Whole Recovery.higher alot

Yoshi is the same in the Jump Department.higher alot

Charizard has Super Armor, 3 Jumps, And Glide.higher somewhat

Warios easy to Gimp his UPB. Bike is used, but hard to control. Lower a little.

FALCO IS LAUGHABLE.

Oh and HOW IS SAMUS HIGHER THAN KIRBY!!!!!!!

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Ice climbers can go from the bottom of FD back to the stage with Squall.
Is that not good enough recovery?

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
If the fail is refering to sonics, well im not saying his is bad because hes in B but I believe the other peoples are better. The whole grab factor if you dont perfectly sweetspot the edge brings it down.
You won't be doing it to Sonic because he rarely needs to use his up B.
He can side B Double jump and cover the entire length of FD.
Or use his homing attack.

You won't grab him because he is invincible on his way up and would need to have stopped right in front of you to grab him. or he would need to **** up his recovery to get edgehogged.

Distance, safety wise he outdoes several characters and you need to outright KO him

Tornadith

Smash Journeyman
*Sends Sundance _______________ on __________ Day,
The heck? (Using "nice" language)

Why is Pikachu only bottom of the High Tier? Pikachu's recovery is unpredictable, and is very long and controllable. Very useful for mindgames, yet while still getting the job done and recovering. Below Lucas?

You clearly do not know much about recoveries, my friend.

*Becomes John McCain for saying "my friend"*

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
DDD better then Pit? no
His recovery IS better than Pit's. Pit doesn't have the range to compete with others who edgeguard him. His Up-B is not as good as DDD's either. While it doesn't happen often, it's significantly more gimpable. DDD's is only marginally more punishable, and it's usually difficult to punish with KO moves.
Samus lolololol
Samus's recovery is amazing. Due to being extremely floaty and bomb jumping, she can float offstage for a long time where almost nobody can reach her. Her tether is very useful due to its range, and her Up-B is difficult to challenge. She also has the ability to Z-air the ledge from knockback.

Pikachu lolololol
Good luck predicting Pikachu's recovery consistently. His Up-B is fast, and if he has good reactions, he's going to go somewhere where you won't reach him.

Falco lol x2
Falco's recovery is excellent in Brawl believe it or not. It is very good for the same reasons G&W's is. It gets great distance, and goes really fast. A good Falco is very difficult to punish while recovering. It's not easy to predict what he's going to do once he makes it to the ledge anyway. His recovery is only bad if he has to Up-B, which is rare if he DIs well.

Diddy's options for recovery are diverse and solid, and get him excellent distance. His SideB is fast, and difficult to react to. His Up-B can be used in areas where it cannot be reached, and goes far and fast.

How many times have you seen Yoshi gimped?
When did I say his recovery was consistently gimped? His recovery is bad though, and is easily punished. He does get gimped more than other characters. His Up-B is horrible. If you hit him out of his second jump, it's extremely hard for him to make it back.

Lucario's Recovery is not his UPB but his jumps and float. Its hard to gimp his Whole Recovery.higher alot
Lucario's recovery isn't bad. It's just more punishable than other characters recoveries. Actually making it back without taking a hit is difficult.

Yoshi is the same in the Jump Department.higher alot
His recovery is much more predictable than the ones above him. It is not hard to punish his 2nd jump, and if he's unlucky, punishing his 2nd jump results in a gimp.

Charizard has Super Armor, 3 Jumps, And Glide.higher somewhat
Charizard is slow, is not amazing offstage, and his Up-B doesn't go very far. Most characters can hit him before he has a chance to Up-B, and he's too slow offstage either gliding or using midair jumps to be completely safe from edgeguarders.

Warios easy to Gimp his UPB. Bike is used, but hard to control. Lower a little.
Wario has the Waft, he rarely ever needs to Up-B, and his amazing DI makes him ridiculously hard to chase down.

FALCO IS LAUGHABLE.
Quite on the contrary, Falco's recovery is amazing. It's hard to punish if he does it right, as usually, he's the one reacting to what you are going to do due to the insane speed of his SideB. His SideB also makes him amazing at escaping ledge traps.

Omg, nowai. Lucas has Zap Jump and a tether. D:
He's still limited in terms of options offstage, and it doesn't completely solve the problem of his Up-B being very punishable. His tether doesn't have amazing range either.

Oh and HOW IS SAMUS HIGHER THAN KIRBY!!!!!!!
Samus basically gets the same distance, is harder to outprioritize, and has a much better Up-B. Her DI down to tether is also the best in the game.

M@v

Subarashii!
A2ZOMG has just won this thread. I couldnt of described any of that stuff better myself. Falco and fox both have good recoveries, due to those reasons. Falco's is so freaking fast its hard to punish, and fox has the ability to make his side b completely unpredictable. He can shine stall to hover, and throw in fast falling as well to make opponent s guess where he is going to side b, or up bto the ledge.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Well the thing about Fox though is just cause his SideB isn't nearly as good as Falcos for whatever dumb reason (which is more noticeable at the ledge especially), and the Firefoxes suck in this game just cause of the long startup time and due to anyone being able to jump out and edgeguard.

Barge

Ice climbers need to go up.
Squall recovery is amazing. And you can punish edge hoggers with belay if they don't take advantage of the invincibility frames.

M@v

Subarashii!
Well the thing about Fox though is just cause his SideB isn't nearly as good as Falcos for whatever dumb reason (which is more noticeable at the ledge especially), and the Firefoxes suck in this game just cause of the long startup time and due to anyone being able to jump out and edgeguard.
im pretty sure Foxs side b goes farther than falcos, but its slower, which actually makes it a little worse. Compared to Falco's though, Fox's Firefox is amazing lol ;)

illinialex24

Smash Hero
im pretty sure Foxs side b goes farther than falcos, but its slower, which actually makes it a little worse. Compared to Falco's though, Fox's Firefox is amazing lol ;)
Yeah, it does go farther. And it is amazing compared to it but still easily interruptible.

Ice climbers need to go up.
Squall recovery is amazing. And you can punish edge hoggers with belay if they don't take advantage of the invincibility frames.
I dunno because although Popo can almost always make it back, Nana gets stuck in the dark a fair amount. And thats troublesome because that is very important to the IC

Barge

Nana makes it back on her own about 80% of the time, unless she gets knocked below the stage of course

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
His recovery IS better than Pit's. Pit doesn't have the range to compete with others who edgeguard him. His Up-B is not as good as DDD's either. While it doesn't happen often, it's significantly more gimpable. DDD's is only marginally more punishable, and it's usually difficult to punish with KO moves.
He has 2 glides. 4 better jumps, use up B as a last resort. His glide is the fastest in the game. DDD's jumps are bad, and he has a predictable Up B.

Samus's recovery is amazing. Due to being extremely floaty and bomb jumping, she can float offstage for a long time where almost nobody can reach her. Her tether is very useful due to its range, and her Up-B is difficult to challenge. She also has the ability to Z-air the ledge from knock back.
This list is about when you're making it back to the stage, not prevention. Tethers are garbage in this game.

Good luck predicting Pikachu's recovery consistently. His Up-B is fast, and if he has good reactions, he's going to go somewhere where you won't reach him.
When he's away from the stage, he's either going to go to the edge or on the stage. It was set distance, a pause and 8 directs, it's not that hard really :dizzy:

Falco's recovery is excellent in Brawl believe it or not. It is very good for the same reasons G&W's is. It gets great distance no, and goes really fast. A good Falco is very difficult to punish while recovering. It's not easy to predict what he's going to do once he makes it to the ledge anyway. His recovery is only bad if he has to Up-B, which is rare if he DIs well.
His side B doesn't have great distance. It's predictable, a good Falco or not. He can be hit out of it with timing, SA, counters ect. It's not that good. Also the pause before he does it is a good gave away.

Diddy's options for recovery are diverse and solid, and get him excellent distance. His SideB is fast, and difficult to react to. His Up-B can be used in areas where it cannot be reached, and goes far and fast.
You forgot to mention that it gimpable and his up B takes time to charge.

Jigglypuff
DDD better then Pit? no
Pit
Samus lolololol
Pikachu lolololol
Wario
Kirby
Falco lol x2
Sonic
Diddy no
Zero Suit Samus

You basically said that Samus, DDD and FALCO's recoverys were better then Sonic. Please read the link in the OP :dizzy:

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Some of you people are complete idiots.

Hit Yoshi out of his recovery? That's completely ignoring it has extremely strong heavy armour (basically super armour) so you're not hitting him out of ****. That's also ignoring whilst he has these frames he can perform any aerial whilst rising. O and of course my favourite, that's ignoring the fact he can AIRDODGE in his DJ, making his recovery effectively one of the hardest to gimp in the game AS HE CAN ACTIVATE INVINCIBILITY FRAMES ON COMMAND.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Some of you people are complete idiots.

Hit Yoshi out of his recovery? That's completely ignoring it has extremely strong heavy armour (basically super armour) so you're not hitting him out of ****. That's also ignoring whilst he has these frames he can perform any aerial whilst rising. O and of course my favourite, that's ignoring the fact he can AIRDODGE in his DJ, making his recovery effectively one of the hardest to gimp in the game AS HE CAN ACTIVATE INVINCIBILITY FRAMES ON COMMAND.
Ummm yeah about that. The important part is that he can air dodge. Because nair strong or strong fair from a Jigglypuff knocks him out in the 40's or so and then fair, sourspotted fair, nair, sourspotted nair and bair all interrupt his recovery at 60%.

TheFast

Smash Lord
O yah his air + his super jump is amazing for recovery. Because of his aerial speed its almost like having invinciablity frames >_<

SSJ5Goku8932

Smash Lord
Why use Waft for Recovery,it could be used to kill.Also all Kirby needs is 5 Jumps.His UP B can spike you if you try to edgeguard him.If you know falco he is almost like DK. Horizontal may be my game but Vertical is def not.And Yoshi still.The rest I understand.I'm questioning
why Lucario is as floaty as Samus but not taken in consideration.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Also I once thought ROBs recovery was better than Pits, but now I realize why I was wrong.

Robo Burner > Wings of Icarus

Robo Burner + 1 midair jump > Wings of Icarus + 2 midair jumps

Robo Burner + 1 midair jump < Wings of Icarus (backup recovery) + glide + 2 midair jumps.

Pit's glide is really an amazing recovery. Without the glide I say ROB's recovery is easily better.. but his glide is fast, has a high priority attack, and being hit out of it, unlike WoI, does not mean death.

If you're far away from the stage, down and out (usually the result of bad DI), then ROB's is better, because you can sustain a few projectile hits on the way back, Pit needs his WoI to return and one hit will gimp him. However you can usually avoid this situation with good DI.
If you had to recover the entire distance of Bridge of Eldin, then yeah, Pit's would be better. But for practical purposes, ROB's up-B fuel is more than enough to make it back from anything. He can go under FD twice on one tank (or maybe 3 times if pushed, I've never really tried) and can survive multiple spikes from every character in the game, which is something that Pit definitely cannot do. Also, ROB's recovery has better vertical distance than Pit's. You'd be surprised how long you can stretch out a single tank of gas with interspersed fairs and a large boost with your last drop of fuel using nair. If there's 30 seconds left and ROB is ahead in %, GG because he can go hover in the top corner until time runs out.

Sonicdahedgie

Smash Apprentice
Oi! Just gonna say, I haven't read the thread. I also am no expert, and I don't play all the characters. But I'd like to put in my two cents.

I'll be in bold.

Rank S
Metaknight
I don't play him, and he's hard to edgeguard against, so I'll leave him be.

Jigglypuff
Whoa whoa whoa. Jiggly Puff has good recovery, but her jump don't take her anywhere fast, and her up-b does nothing for recovery. She's incredibly predictable when coming back to the stage, so she's not the most difficult to hit in the air. Her aerials offer some protection, but not like Metaknight's.

Pit
Now, no one's going to debate that Pit has an awesome recovery, but Rob, who is just below him on your list, is better. Pit has one more jump than Rob, but Pit's up-b pales in comparison to Rob's Rob can stop using his up-b, attack, and go back to recovering. Pit, on the other hand, LOSES his up-b if he is hit while using it. And then plummets to his death.
Rob

Edited out A and B Rank....

Rank C
Fox
Diddy Kong
Snake
Seriously now? I know Snake has the most predictable up-b in the game, but it takes effort to knock him out of it, and it carries him back from freaking anywhere.
Charizard
Sheik
Ice Climbers
Zelda

Rank D
Squirtle
Marth
Mario
Ness
Captain Falcon
How dare you insult the Captain like this! Ok, yeah, he's not the greatest. BUT! His up-b almost never gets stuck underneath the stage. His up-b seriously defies the laws of physics set by this game. He bends around the level to reach the edge. Also, if someone is beneath the stage with him, or if someone tries to edgehog him too early, his up-b will ricochet a person off the level and to their death, and then give him another up-b.
DK
Wolf
Falco
Ike
This far down? Really? I'm not sure which I hate more, you putting him down her, or the fact that you can actually back up your decision...
Anyway, I just feel that Ike shouldn't be down here, but the reasoning behind it makes sense.

That's all I've really got. I realized while posting this that I need get out and try more characters...

BBoyindo

Smash Ace
Jigglypuff doesn't need an up-b.
Floatiness + 6 (or 5 i dunno) jumps + Pound = Second best recovery in the game.
Pit has the fastest glide and that alone should be enough to get back on the stage.
Snake players usually recover high up, so getting knocked out of it is a lot less likely. Also, he can use his c4 to regain his up-B
Captain falcon's recovery is normal.
Ike can only recover from directly under, or high above the stage, or he is dead.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Pt moves much faster than DDD and has much better vertical coverage than DDD. when DDD is recovering, he is a big, slow target and even if he doesn't get gimped, he will take damage and be forced to use his ^B which is extremely vulnerable.

Pit has his 3 jumps, glide and his ^B, all of which cover much more distance, more quickly, and more safely than DDD.

It is not possible to whack Pit out of his ^B when he is recovering correctly, nor does he have any dead angles, nor will he have to use his ^B often and if he does, very few characters can go out and gimp him.
Samus's recovery is amazing. Due to being extremely floaty and bomb jumping, she can float offstage for a long time where almost nobody can reach her. Her tether is very useful due to its range, and her Up-B is difficult to challenge. She also has the ability to Z-air the ledge from knockback.
She can only air the ledge if she is knocked horizontally which requires her to Di down which is bad because, if she whiffs it, it a stock.
bomb jumping is good but slow and everyone else has better, faster recoveries.
Falco's recovery is excellent in Brawl believe it or not. It is very good for the same reasons G&W's is. It gets great distance, and goes really fast. A good Falco is very difficult to punish while recovering. It's not easy to predict what he's going to do once he makes it to the ledge anyway. His recovery is only bad if he has to Up-B, which is rare if he DIs well.
this has got to be a joke. Hey guys, Falco has great distance on his side B, lets totally forget that several other character have just as much distance.
The only thing Falco has is speed, which doesn't work out because his trajectory is extremely predictable and can easily be edgeguarded by using attacks with prolonged hitboxes.

With Falco, you either land on the stage or on the edge, and several characters can cover both. its good, but not as great as you make it sound.
It has several DEAD angles. It needs to be charged, it can only move up to a certain angle and even then several other characters can recover faster, more greatly in distance, more safely.
It has a very predictable trajectory so a number of characters can interfere and give him a hard time while recovering.
When did I say his recovery was consistently gimped? His recovery is bad though, and is easily punished. He does get gimped more than other characters. His Up-B is horrible. If you hit him out of his second jump, it's extremely hard for him to make it back.
Learn to airdodge and getting hit out of it isn't an issue.
Lucario's recovery isn't bad. It's just more punishable than other characters recoveries. Actually making it back without taking a hit is difficult.[/quote
It doesn't hurt anyone while being used so if Lucario has already used his double jump and can't make it bac without the ^B, he needs to go for a wall cling and then recover otherwise, he becomes very vulnerable
Adding to what you said.

Quite on the contrary, Falco's recovery is amazing. It's hard to punish if he does it right, as usually, he's the one reacting to what you are going to do due to the insane speed of his SideB. His SideB also makes him amazing at escaping ledge traps.
No no and no.
Again as I said earlier he has extemely predicable trajectory. his speed does nothing to aid him. great he will react to what you do, so what will he do if Kirby or MK start using their Dairs to cover both the ledge and the stage?
use the side B earlier good luck because the opponent can then react and punish.
Falco is very fast, but thats all he has going for him.
he either lands on the stage or the ledge or he dies.
Thats very bad because it means he has several areas where if he lands, the opponent will simply knock hm right off the stage AGAIN.

Samus basically gets the same distance, is harder to outprioritize, and has a much better Up-B. Her DI down to tether is also the best in the game.
Her DI down and tether is the best but rarely happens.
Why she is floaty so she resists being sent up much less than the other tether characters so she cannot do it except for rare occassions like G&W's Dsmash.
She gets the same distance more slowly and she is easier to outprioritize than Kirby.
Her ^B is better but it depends on momentum as well which can hurt her at times.

TheFast

Smash Lord
You know what... I think we need to stop trying to make a defined order. Enstead we should just say something such as this

Rank 1:
Jiggs
Pit
MK
Rob
(no praticular order)
They are all Rank1 and just divide them into ranks as such because there will be a forever debate on whos recovery is better Robs vs Pit because it really depends on the players playing. Lets say your fighting Link. Links not going to go off the stage but can shoot pojectile so pits will be better because he can airdodge and recover. While ROB would be much better from a character that has really good spikes as his up-b cancles out the spike knockback. But either way we should just make set groups.

SSJ5Goku8932

Smash Lord
Yeah I agree with that.There are many things to specuate on.Distance,Controlability,and dodging,etc

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Ok, instead of trying to "change" how the OP's tier list looks, why don't you just read it as such and be happy?

That's the point of an ordered tier list. To... you know, order things. If you just want ranks, just look at it as unordered.

TheFast

Smash Lord
well there can never be a set list in something such as recoveries. Because some are so close that they come down to opions. There is no real testing that can be done on recovery such as tourney results for an actual tier list. So to make a final "list" that almost everybody agrees on is almost impossiable.

Top Bottom