• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

This is dead, look for the new matchup thread. Be sure to read the rules.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Marth is not midweight, he is light :(

I'd call this matchup 60:40 in Snakes favor. It's listed on our boards as 55:45.

All we really have on Snake in this matchup are dtilt and juggle traps. I'll do a better analysis later.

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
I say just set up the field as much as you can.

start defensivly first. set up the field and then switch to 100% groundbased offence.

Never go in the air, you will get juggled to death.

55:45

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Eh, mostly sh fair > fair > fsmash can rack up quick %'s

If he spaces correctly, it can be difficult to hit him with anything. You want to camp vs him and never approach, approaching him is just stupid. At low %'s he can fthrow > stutter step > tipped fsmash us, and near the edge this sets up some ledge play and even low % spikes if you're not to careful.

He can easily bait and punish airdodges, and all of his aerials > all our aerials when we're above him. You're only hope is to drop a C4 and try to hit him, or confuse him with B-reversals and grenades. Overall, you're going to get juggled a lot so avoid the air. (Back to the baiting now) if you try to airdodge an fair for example, you'll just eat another fair right when you get out of your airdodge. Airdodging is basically pointless unless he's a noobier marth.

When off stage Marth's recovery is good, but not great. Cook a grenade and short-toss it off and then start planting mines and c4 and get ready to edgeguard. Marth does poorly on the edge, but DO NOT APPROACH HIM! He can ledgehop a fair/nair/uair really quickly. Just sit back, and let him come to you.

Besides rolling and I think counter, he can't really blow up your mines, so place them strategically and not willy-nilly so he can easily roll over them.

BEWARE HIS COUNTER. You should NEVER. EVER charge a fsmash against him. He can drop down and counter it, and BOOM. There goes you.

Overall its a game of spacing and camping (for Snake) and it's a pretty even fight.

Your projectile/stage control game vs his good pressuring/from grab (grab to aerials, grab to side-B, grab to tipped fsmash, etc.)

I give it 55/45 Snake's favor however, because we have a bit on him but not much overall.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
55:45 Snake

Snake can camp Marth really well outpwers him. He can kill Marth relitively easy, especially with his UTilt, and other kill moves.

However, don't go above Marth, unless you wanna find your % racking up. Get crafty with your ledge options, Marth can keep you there and reset the situation fairly easy.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
As Snake, really watch out so you don't get juggled too badly, if you are above him he can get you to really high percents and then kill you.

Marth is light so you can kill him fairly easily with Utilt. He'll have a pretty hard time killing you though. He does have his tippers so be careful.

Marth's Counter can work well here to negate some projectiles if he is close to you, so be careful if you try to chase your Nades or something. I don't know Snake super well so I'm not sure.

He doesn't really have anything extra against your camping, just the same as any other character, PS and AD.

His disjointed hitboxes can out range most of your attacks, but use Ftilt for spacing. Watch out for his DS OoS, it can mess up some of your multihit moves.

Overall, this is in Snake's favor, I'd say 55:45.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Eh...Marth vs Snake is 50:50 imo because if a smart marth gets you in the air and can keep you there...your dead. I'll give input later.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Marth has nair and dtilt.

Dtilt keeps him mostly safe from Snake's entire ground game while spaced well (bar second hit ftilt).
His nair, which is essentially much easier to hit Snake with than other characters (i.e. MK) tippered can kill Snake from the centre of stages at 115%.

Marth has damage racking capabilities that cut the weight difference really easily. From juggling; dancing blade, fairs, etc.
-> Snake hit off the edge is practically giving a good Marth 30%+ to rack up on him. And he can then easily reset the situation (hitting you off the edge) with a nair.
-> He has ways to easily get you into the air through up throw, upwards dancing blade, etc
-> Dancing blade can easily be shield dropped after a whiffed ftilt or jab from Snake.

Marth overall has better range and can avoid most potential punishment if he spaces well.
-> Retreating fair hitting the shield can at best be punished by an explosion or an ftilt.

Marth's biggest problems in this matchup is explosive(s) camping, Snake's killing potential and his own kill moves.
-> Getting through grenade/explosion camping can be extremely difficult for Marth, but the overall process generally leaves Snake backed into a corner (or edge) where above points can apply. An overzealous grenade shielding Snake can be unsuspectingly hit by a shieldbreaker. As long as Marth spaces well he can apply the shield pressure with general safety.
-> Snake can kill you hard and easy. Utilt will own you and if Snake is the one backing you into the corner (i.e. your only way is through them or above them) Marth is going to get hit - hard. Marth getting up from the edge against Snake is in a lot of danger. If Snake gets within Marth's spacing and Marth has no where to go it's pretty much over.
-> Other than his specific tippers (nair, fsmash, dsmash, usmash) Marth cannot be reliably killing Snake until 140%. At this point untippered downsmashes, upsmashes, utilts, dolphin slashes etc are viable to kill. Marth cannot kill Snake with a tippered uair until generally 150% (fresh), so it's only use is juggling.

Over all Snake can be ready to kill Marth by around 90% onwards, and only good spacing from Marth can alleviate this until the ftilt kill range of 110%ish. Marth is potentially struggling for anywhere from 20% to up to 60% more damage to 'easily' kill Snake.

While I'm sure Marth can cover 20% difference with his damage racking quite easily, 60% can be a harsh.

I honestly think its even. It is not possibly worse than 55:45 (Snake:Marth).

SuSa

Alright it's settled.

55/45 Marth.

(Not to rush things, but we really do need to get this matchup thread caught up, some people are on like 20~ and we're not even past 10 :/)

Also compared to usual we have had a lot of data, and most people are saying 55:45 (including myself)

Does anyone want to do me a favor and write the summary? (go look at all the other matchups that are quoted, then write one for Marth. You can copy+pasta bits and pieces of things that have been said :) just make it look good.

tl;dr

Writing isn't my forte :/

EDIT:

nevermind, wait for Steel2nd to respond :)

Gates

Banned via Warnings
OMFG Gates O_o thanks.

Although I'll have to fix cipher to Cypher xD and a few other things... I think that literally ends our discussion about D3... it covers EVERYTHING basically.

Although I will change a few things.

1. Stage spikes don't work against people who know how to tech. >.> but I'll just mention this, rather then edit it because most people can't stage tech worth **** apparently.

2. I forgot what else, when I add it I'll change it.
3 things:

1. Sorry about the cipher thing. I typed it up in Word originally and the auto-formatting messed with the spelling.

2. Even if you tech a stage spike, it puts you in a bad position anyway.

3. Since I wrote the summary from a Dedede player's perspective, I think you should either credit me with writing it or edit it around to better discuss things from the Snake players' perspective. Generally it won't have many problems, but for some people it may be a little confusing.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Alright it's settled.

55/45 Marth.

(Not to rush things, but we really do need to get this matchup thread caught up, some people are on like 20~ and we're not even past 10 :/)

Also compared to usual we have had a lot of data, and most people are saying 55:45 (including myself)

Does anyone want to do me a favor and write the summary? (go look at all the other matchups that are quoted, then write one for Marth. You can copy+pasta bits and pieces of things that have been said :) just make it look good.

tl;dr

Writing isn't my forte :/

EDIT:

nevermind, wait for Steel2nd to respond :)
What do you want me to say? lol

I think this is one of the most even match ups in the game. If it's not 55:45 it's 50:50. You can look at my match up thread for a summary of the match up

SuSa

3 things:

1. Sorry about the cipher thing. I typed it up in Word originally and the auto-formatting messed with the spelling.

2. Even if you tech a stage spike, it puts you in a bad position anyway.

3. Since I wrote the summary from a Dedede player's perspective, I think you should either credit me with writing it or edit it around to better discuss things from the Snake players' perspective. Generally it won't have many problems, but for some people it may be a little confusing.
If you read the "quote" ;) you'll see its under your name. (but I'll make it a bit more obvious :laugh: and mention its from a D3's perspective)

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvLWFYi9L-c

I personally think its at least 55/45 Snake.

Would you like me to list Ankoku's simple mistakes before I claim you using 'that match' is completely bias?

I'll list the biggest one:
I saw a fairing Marth get shield grabbed.

Also I realise that mustn't be your complete reason for claiming 55:45, but still... posting that video is a "wtf" from me.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Ya Panda you're pretty good, but Marth's range rivals Snake's on the ground, his Fair is really good vs Snake since he's near Snake's blindspot when he does it, and he juggles Snake so hard...I didn't say Ankoku doing any of this. :(

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I was just playing around that game. If you look, you can see me experimenting and stuff. That game wasn't indicative of my, nor of Ankoku's, actual skill. Its just a really entertaining match :D

I've done the Marth matchup to the point that I don't struggle at all anymore. But I only make it a 55/45 because I know, theoretically, how Marth can fight toe-to-toe with Snake.

OmegaXF

Smash Ace
"Snake dominates the land.

Marth dominates the air.

I say its a close match up but snake wins.

Ill let the others say more. IDK"

Darxmarth23=my post lulz

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
I would say that the match up is even like everyone else is saying.
Marth can juggle Snake like a beast, but Snake's sheer strength(and manliness), can catch up quick.
This might help Marth in every single one of his match ups though..
I had posted this a long while ago when someone had offered to place...certain female organs on Marth's chest to officially make him female, if enough people agreed (something that could only happen on GameFAQs). I replied with something that, in the end, proved Marth's ridiculous manliness once and for all, putting his testosterone level even above that of Captain Falcon. You will see my reasoning on this below:

NEVARRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

Marth is the most manly character in the game and it's about time people realized it. Seriously, people like Captain Falcon and Snake are hailed for being so manly when they're honestly just compensating for their LACK of manliness. A true man doesn't need to walk around in a skin tight suit shouting "SHOW ME YOUR MOVES!" or "FALCON PAUWWNCH." Marth is so incredibly manly that he needs to appear so feminine to limit his incredible manliness--yes, Marth wears that tiara to prevent from manliness overload; last time he took it off, there were no survivors.

In fact, what really happens in his final smash is that after he thrusts his sword up in the air, his tiara raises a fraction of a milimeter, unleashing some of his overpowering manliness, thus the only possible outcome is the person or persons who are hit by his next attack immediately die, no questions asked. In fact, sometimes Marth kills himself with this attack because the Wii has a momentary lapse of understanding in which its mind is blown with Marth's manliness, but Nintendo quickly fixes the problem without you even noticing during one split second, because as we all know: Nintendo is magic. Even from the Fire Emblem game, they HAD to make sure that Marth somehow had an excuse to wear a tiara, because otherwise the game would be no fun when Marth killed EVERYTHING--even so, he still killed everything. The same holds true for Melee and Brawl.

When making his character, Nintendo reasoned that the tiara was still absolutely necessary to keep on his head, for fear that there would not be enough diversity in players, seeing as everyone would main Marth, or that their worst fears would come true: Marth, in all his manliness would come out of the game and slay the world, causing Jesus to ascend from the Heavens to rescue us all. Clearly Nintendo wasn't about to let the apocolypse occur, so they kept the tiara on out of fear of Marth.

tl;dr version: Start from "Nevarrr" and continue down to "out of fear of Marth." ^^

I hope you can now proudly understand the true depth of your main's manliness.

--
Proverbs.

Kyari

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
KYRI#103
Hey Panda, you haven't seen me in tourney for a while but I'd like to let you know that after Warsaw in September I've switched to be a Marth main, sometimes switching out to Pika against MK's. So I know a lot more about this matchup than I used to, especially since my friend Rookie uses Snake. But anyway Panda, I don't know why but Ankoku didn't use DB on the first stock ONCE, when it's crucial that you do so against Snake, among other things like Shaya said Marth should never get his fair shieldgrabbed in this matchup and I saw him getting hit by a lot of C4, just being careless. Used way too many smash attacks against Snake I almost never use any smash attacks unless I know I can get in a tipper Dsmash to punish, or if I'm using usmash underneath platform to mix up juggling but even then it's kind of risky, although if you hit their shield and they fall off the platform you can always tipper dsmash in time from my own experiences.

55/45 is still considered neutral. Care to explain why Snake has adv. on Marth? I would like you to talk about Marth's juggle game for a minute and tell me how you as Snake get around it. I guess I'll go ahead and give you the courtesy of explaining what I do against Snake's first though. Here are some of Snake's options:

1. Aerials - Outranged/outprioritized by Marth's uair, though watch out for a quick bair. Don't be in a position to be hit by it before you can attack.

So aerials are generally a bad choice if you're just falling down and don't want to get hit again.

2. Drop a C4 at some point - All that does is forces Marth to either stay away from the C4, or to stay grounded. If Marth sees the C4 and stays grounded Snake may try to set it off, and depending on the height of the C4 Marth will either jump above it and punish Snake during his C4 trigger animation or just dash away from it and tipper fair/bair Snake out of the C4's way. Dropping a C4 is good help, but doesn't do a lot on its own to keep Marth away.

3. Time an airdodge/Pull out 'nade - These are the only other two things Snake can really do above Marth, if Marth hits Snake right as he pulls out the grenade there's a good chance of trading explosion hits which is usually in Snake's favor UNLESS Marth perfectly spaces a uair so as to hit Snake's feet, then the grenade just falls down. Also while I believe Snake can airdodge to drop a grenade, he has no other options other than to throw his grenade so he becomes very easily predictable. If I think Snake is going to pull a grenade I wait until I'm at max double jump tipper uair range and do it to punish him, otherwise if he just airdodges I should still at least hit him. Also, as a general rule if Snake is visible on screen (kinda close to the ground) above Marth and he pulls out a grenade, while this does limit Marth's ability to juggle Snake with his aerials, it does allow Marth to get a free grab because close to the ground all Snake can do is airdodge or throw the grenade, and has no way of avoiding a grab in this scenario. Combine all of this with the fact that if you're off the edge you'll be eating LOTS of fairs, and you'll see Snake getting the damage racked on him quickly.

Honestly I would call this 55/45 Snake at best, at worst I would call it even. I give Snake the tip end though because he can pressure Marth from across the stage and is really hard to KO. However the fact that Marth can punish Snake upon shielding any of Snake's attacks and Snake can't easily do this in return, the fact that Marth can match Snake's ground range, and Marth's ability to severely limit Snake's safe options in the air all do much to make up for Snake's strengths.

EDIT: Some more thoughts:

If Marth lands from an aerial against Snake's shield Marth has to do a retreating DB or just shield to get out of the way of the snakedash, but if Marth plays it correctly he is safe.

Marth gains more vertical jump from his ledge jump than with his normal grounded jump, so on stages like FD or Smashville or wherever you don't have a platform to reach Snake quicker this is a great surprise option, I find myself often touching the ledge and mixing up between doing that and just getting back on the stage.

Cancelling Marth's DB if Snake shields is crucial because if you start DB at max range and he shields you're probably safe in your shield or with a dtilt if you just let go, however its bad to keep it going even if you're behind him because if you're too close Snake can punish with shield dropped reverse ftilt. If Marth keeps it going Snake's shield will probably be able to take all of the hits and it also brings you right next to him, allowing Snake to punish with whatever he wants. Marth needs to remember that his third green hit pulls him back a tad and also needs to remember that sometimes near the edge it's a good idea to keep it going slowly and use the 4th green hit because it will either poke through Snake's shield or the multiple hits will just push Snake's shield off the edge, which is not where Snake needs to be.

Panda, now I know this is going to sound obvious but one of the most important things you need to remember when Marth is recovering is his up B delay after grabbing the edge, this KILLS Marth, I saw one point at about 20 seconds in that video where he had this delay and you didn't go up there and punish, not sure why but always always make sure that is on your mind.

EDIT AGAIN: Also Havokk I think I saw you talking about Snake's landmines (dsmash) and that Marth can't easily get rid of them, I just wanna make sure you know that any character can run up and powershield the explosion. It makes mines much less effective, so bad that it's almost not worth thinking about unless they're busy trying to recover.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
No shut up.

It's not neutral b*tch.

Snake wins 55/45.

And don't post vids of Ankoku's Marth.

There is literally no difference between him playing seriously and him goofing off.

*curb stomps Ankoku's reputation as a player.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
**** EL is extreme >_> lol

Anyways, Snake has a slight advantage in this matchup.

To start, Snake's projectile game forces Marth to approach him. And while Snake's ground game is quite dominate, Marth has to choice but to stay grounded in this matchup. His fair is rather unsafe here as Marth will likely just eat a ftilt. Marth's best options here are dtilt and DB. Dtilt is Marth's only safe option that outranges the first hit of Snakes ftilt. So you'll be seeing it quite a lot. The second hit of Snakes ftilt however, does outrange Marth's dtilt. Marths other major option here is DB; which will mainly be used as a punisher. Be careful, because if a DB does connect it can set up for a juggle trap. Overall, Snake has better options on the ground, and if he knocks Marth away he can setup his camping game again. So Snake is usually in control in this matchup; having some traps laid makes Snakes advantage on the ground even bigger.

In the air; Marth has the clear advantage. Nothing Snake has can match anything Marth has. His disjointed aerials and quickness make it pretty obvious that you need to avoid lifting off the ground. That being said, the only times Marth really has a clear advantage are when he has you in a juggle or when you are off stage. When Marth is juggling you, your options are severely limited; your best bets are to drop a nade/c4 or go for the ledge. Your ledge options aren't great either, but its better than being juggled. When off stage never recover low, you will be spiked 80% of the time. That being said recovering high will likely put you in a juggle trap. So basically, getting knocked off stage against a Marth is bad news, try your best to maintain control of the stage and keep your position.

I guess 55:45 Snake is good....

yellowroy

Smash Ace
don't go in the air you will get *****. and i can't really explain the rest just camp and wait for him to approach and ftilt or something.

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
dannykat is coming up to the next cali tourney this weekend (the one dsf is hosting) , lets see if they get any vids of him playing snakes (like erows, meeps, ajax) if they come

Panix

Smash Ace
eh, against marth I see it as more of a 60:40 in snakes mainly because of marths lack of any range, mid-weight but ko'able around 90-100% and marth has to wait till like 130% on snake. his B combo sets of gernades when he strikes them. and snake can edge alot better then marth. marths tips hurt alot, has better air game, and he has nice mind games ( but imo snakes are better ) I know this is a bias opinion but I believe its more or less 60:40 snake.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Lack of range? He outranges every one of your tilts except the second hit of your ftilt with a dtilt.

Marth can also ledge guard just as well as Snake can, and can certainly do much more damage off the stage.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
eh, against marth I see it as more of a 60:40 in snakes mainly because of marths lack of any range, mid-weight but ko'able around 90-100% and marth has to wait till like 130% on snake. his B combo sets of gernades when he strikes them. and snake can edge alot better then marth. marths tips hurt alot, has better air game, and he has nice mind games ( but imo snakes are better ) I know this is a bias opinion but I believe its more or less 60:40 snake.
Lack of range? Really? :laugh:

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
This is a brief response to the Olimar matchup..

Killing Pikmin with an attack WILL cause that move to stagnate, unlike clanking or pinging out projectiles.
It stagnates one value with each Pikmin, meaning killing multiple Pikmin will cause the move to stagnate faster.

Anyway, we can all agree the matchup for Marth against Snake is 45:55 Snake right?

En.Ee.Oh

Smash Champion
No shut up.

It's not neutral b*tch.

Snake wins 55/45.

And don't post vids of Ankoku's Marth.

There is literally no difference between him playing seriously and him goofing off.

*curb stomps Ankoku's reputation as a player.
LMFAO

-****ing dead-

Royale

Smash Journeyman
dannykat is coming up to the next cali tourney this weekend (the one dsf is hosting) , lets see if they get any vids of him playing snakes (like erows, meeps, ajax) if they come
I got plains to play him this Sunday afternoon once he gets back from the tournie. I'm pretty curious to see what the match-up actually feels like.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I agree with Emblem Lord, if you're gonna post vids, you might as well post vids of someone who's good with Marth, not "some guy who likes to use Marth but sucks at this concept called 'spacing.'"

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I've already noted that the videos aren't indicitave of our skill, and that I only post them 'cause they're entertaining to watch :D

Dannykat

Smash Journeyman
I didnt play any snakes when I went over, none were in my pool or in my bracket. There was even 1, yes, 1 MK!. wow. :p

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
I have a hard time with Marth. He actually matches or exceeds your range and has a good enough pressure game that it can be very difficult to keep your camping up. For snake to win he needs to play a smart game of keep away with his grenades and keep himself perfectly spaced to punish every mistake the marth makes. I'd say 60/40 Marth's favor.

Taeran

Smash Journeyman
If you are having trouble with a character, learn to use him.

I did that with MK. It helped a lot.

Top Bottom