• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Officially Banned!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
If you were winning majors and continuing to do so, I doubt you would have stopped entering events.
You'd doubt that because a hundred dollars still seems like a lot of money to you. I got third in the last event I entered.... going ROB and Fox. That was in late august. (I technically went to another a bit ago, but I left after pools; I 2-0'd everyone in my pool except Shugo, who I lost to; Shugo then won the tournament)

The tournament I had played before that was in like... March. I got 2nd there I think, losing to my teammate Kel; I got to beat Y.b.M. and Infern though, both good and ranked players.

Before I "retired" from attending tournaments as often as I could, I was in first place in the midwest circuit I was running, ahead of Blue Rogue and Kel in the top three in singles and having the number one spot in doubles by leaps and bounds. I then distributed all my circuit winnings to the other players, granting myself a total of $10 so I could eat some chinese at a tournament; when you're getting 48% of all the money from singles and the double equivalent, that's a lot in smash terms. It's not a lot in "real world" terms, and I gave it to people I beat repeatedly over the season; I still have Blue Rogue's money sitting in an envelope on my desk since I keep missing him at tournaments and don't want to mail cash.

The number of tournaments I've entered (and not left early) and not won money from placements is a grand total of one, if I recall correctly.

What really happened is Brawl became a job instead of a fun way to make money on the side. Combining hobbies and money is always a good thing, but if it goes too far and you're forced to spend all your time on it you lose the flame. It was never this way early on playing ROB; it was fun having crazy pocket secondaries and training every day to be on top of my game with ROB. I knew he wasn't the best, but I knew his options and could use him well. Eventually MK became too much and I found myself gambling when I played. "Maybe if I just throw a nair out I'll get a lucky KO". Not worth it against MK, so I just picked him up myself. Didn't enjoy playing him. Stopped practicing. Won anyway. I trolled people religiously, and mostly used my games as a giant sign that said "ban him"; at one of Nope's monthlies I timed out every single person in my pool, one of them by forcing them to grab the ledge and losing to the LGL.

When the MK didn't come fast enough, I did what everyone else did: I stopped caring. I had other hobbies, and so instead of going every weekend you'd see me go once a month, maybe twice. Then once every other month. Now it's when there is a local tournament and I want to meet friends or, more recently, to sell bead art to smashers so they have something cool on their wall.

I didn't stop going because I "stopped winning". There's more than enough tournaments out there I can still go to and get first at (well, maybe not now; my main is banned and I'd need to practice ^_^), it's just not worth my time. Instead of leaving work at 4:30 in the afternoon and driving up somewhere on Friday to stay the night, wake up and play brawl all day, go to bed and wake up early on sunday, drive back home, and then spend the rest of my day taking care of whatever responsibilities accumulated all for the chance at winning a few hundred bucks, I instead stay home and spend time with my girlfriend, play awesome games like Starcraft II or Dark Souls, or learn new hobbies. I've recently taken up sculpting and it's a lot of fun, and I'm really, really ****ty at it.

But Brawl? I can still hold my own even now, and I'm rusty as hell. If it makes you feel better to believe that I quit attending tournaments because I was slipping, feel free to do so... but it doesn't really change the reality. The money was a nice bonus and I only needed enough to pay for gas and essentials. I often gave money to others at the tournament who placed below me because the split wasn't fair (things like 80% for first and 20% for second at local KY tournaments happened often) or because I just knew that they needed it more than I did. It's pocket change.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Just a quick FYI:

My Little Pony is very similar in mood to a lot of the cartoons from the 80s and 90s, so maybe people feel some kind of nostalgia while watching it?

Other than that, it's just a fad that people like just so they can be a part of something. As much as bronies will try and deny it, the show isn't that good (definitely watchable, but not that amazing).

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Like I KNOW it will get a furry following, but jeez I got people I've known from Middle School use "My Little Pony" and "Let's go watch Football after" in the same sentence.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
CO was planning to run MK banned tournaments a few months before this was decided, so all this ban kinda did was reinforce that for us here.

>implying CO plays brawl

Someone kill all the ponies plz
Yeah, cause stuff like this helps bring the thread back on track.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah, I mean, Zajice was actually on our PR for months when he was active.
I think that alone says about everything.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
At this point I care more about ponies then I do about theorycrafting or arguing with former MK mains.

...but snake is like so totally gonna be top tier.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
At this point I care more about ponies then I do about theorycrafting or arguing with former MK mains.

...but snake is like so totally gonna be top tier.
No, he's not. He has DDD, Olimar, Marth, and Pikachu to contend with (as well as fellow high tiers Diddy and Falco to an extent). A slippery slope will practically be nonexistent.

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
Sorry, but the ponies have to go.
Ponies are like a cancer to the internet.
and seconded @ snake being top tier.
i think there are far more cancerous things on the internet. its just a show no need to be all butthurt about its "popularity"

with MK gone this will be Melee without WD/LC :awesome:, the same 8-9 characters used over and over.

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
Metaknight was a cancer to brawl before ponies were a "cancer" to the internet.

That's just a show of how bad his tyranny was before we could stop it.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
You're just biased cause your name IS Rainbow Dash

Eaon

Smash Rookie
Oh man! Finally. This is the first time a character is banned in all the Smash History! But lets hope Brawl will get more fun!

Chuee

Smash Hero
Oh man! Finally. This is the first time a character is banned in all the Smash History! But lets hope Brawl will get more fun!
It won't.
The banning of MK will only make little kids cry.
Such horrors can not be tolerated.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Kids don't cry on brawl.

They cry at the screen yelling "sonic is not working" when playing with a single wii remote.

Mk ban.

Doc King

Smash Lord
Someone kill all the ponies plz
Ok.
Sorry, but the ponies have to go.
Ponies are like a cancer to the internet.
and seconded @ snake being top tier.
I don't see why ppl like my little pony. Its a freaking little 5 year old girls show. No lie, but it creeps the crap outta me.

Snake being top tier is not gonna be cancer to the internet. Not when u see me edge guarding the crap outta them. ;)

Snake will just be like one of the top casts like Diddy, Marth, and Falco.

Cassio

Smash Master
OS is really bragging about winning in the E:MW back when there were 3 good players, lol.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
its been said a million times so im not really going to get into it very much, but I disagree with MK being banned.

in fact, bringing a comparison to other games, SF4 vanilla did not ban Sagat, and he was in a situation comparable to Metaknight, except, that Metaknight is broken because he has no character, or stage counterpicks..

therefore, a relatively even matchup between metaknight say against Diddy, becomes highly in MK's favor during his counterpick.

So, why the hell is metaknight being banned when you can simply prohibit MK from being able to counterpick at all? Force metaknights to play under a ruleset where he has to CP to a neutral, and problem solved..

Diddy, Snake, Ice Climbers, Falco, and many others will no longer have to win the first match in order to have a chance at winning the set, and have a legitimate chance at winning.

IN BEFORE WHY SHOULD WE CHANGE THE RULES FOR MK, i can guarantee that it will be significantly easier than banning him completely..

the easiest and most likely scenario that will occur from this is that the community will be split up.. MK is not "ban-able broken" by any standards if you eliminate his CP ability..

If you all are tired of watching M2K win so much, then get better. The RGV loves and supports the entire Brawl and Smash community, and we will continue to love and be contributing members. However, we do not support the Meta Knight ban, and will continue to run our South Texas tournaments with Meta Knight being legal with only Counterpicking to Neutrals.

I love all of you, and I am going to continue hoping the rule changes towards Meta Knight being legal, without stage CP.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I would be perfectly willing to see MK legal with enough nerfs and rules. I think losing like 20-30% of a character's metgame isn't as bad as losing 100% of the character's metagame.

StarGalaxy777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StarGalaxy
its been said a million times so im not really going to get into it very much, but I disagree with MK being banned.

in fact, bringing a comparison to other games, SF4 vanilla did not ban Sagat, and he was in a situation comparable to Metaknight, except, that Metaknight is broken because he has no character, or stage counterpicks..

therefore, a relatively even matchup between metaknight say against Diddy, becomes highly in MK's favor during his counterpick.

So, why the hell is metaknight being banned when you can simply prohibit MK from being able to counterpick at all? Force metaknights to play under a ruleset where he has to CP to a neutral, and problem solved..

Diddy, Snake, Ice Climbers, Falco, and many others will no longer have to win the first match in order to have a chance at winning the set, and have a legitimate chance at winning.

IN BEFORE WHY SHOULD WE CHANGE THE RULES FOR MK, i can guarantee that it will be significantly easier than banning him completely..

the easiest and most likely scenario that will occur from this is that the community will be split up.. MK is not "ban-able broken" by any standards if you eliminate his CP ability..

If you all are tired of watching M2K win so much, then get better. The RGV loves and supports the entire Brawl and Smash community, and we will continue to love and be contributing members. However, we do not support the Meta Knight ban, and will continue to run our South Texas tournaments with Meta Knight being legal with only Counterpicking to Neutrals.

I love all of you, and I am going to continue hoping the rule changes towards Meta Knight being legal, without stage CP.

Get Gud comments get old....

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
..............MK would get destroyed by all of those characters.

And none of you know about Ivan Ooze? What is this world coming to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom