• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Officially Banned!

Status
Not open for further replies.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Fox has been rated #1 for a long time now and his greatness is challenged by at least 15 characters as long as the players are good.
You are full of absolute crap.

Fox being challenged for number 1 in the game? Sure. 15 Characters? HEEEEEEEELLLLLL TO THE NAW.

The only character that people ever even talk about being the best in the game are Fox, and Falco, and to a much smaller extent, Marth, Puff and Shiek.

And aside from those 5, the only tournament viable characters, Are Peach, and MAYBE CF. all that talk about Ganon and Doc and Samus being legitamate characters in that game is a load of bull. And I would know, I main Ganon/Doc.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
As far as balance goes, that was certainly less in control of the developers, but I still do not think it was by any means a mistake. Just look at the PAL version. It's clear they knew what they were doing by what they nerfed. Fox's usmash, Sheik's dthrow, Marth's dair, and Falco's dair all got nerfed. Wow, 4 of the very top characters; coincidence? Doubt it. They also buffed some of the low tiers. I am not as familiar with those changes, but I at least know that Yoshi got heavier with a stronger fsmash, and Kirby got a faster dash speed.
They also nerfed Link.
>.>
/Sakurai hates Zelda

I don't think Kirby got a faster dash speed, but he is slightly heavier. (he's heavier than fox in PAL iirc, since Kirby's weight was buffed, and Fox's weight was nerfed).
Ironically, Marth's weight nerf helps him more than anything, as he does better vs Fox now that he falls over from shine. Falco's dair nerf really doesn't hurt him at all either, the spike is still there for the majority of the time.

Overall the balance is slightly better, but they still did silly stuff like nerf Ganon's fair heavily.

There is no character in Brawl that must hurt itself in order to use viable attacks, so of course Melee will have at least 1 character who is overall more terrible when related to the cast than Brawl.
To be fair, Pichu shouldn't even count when talking about balance, it was designed to be the worst character in the game, it's trophy description reflects that.
Oh and someone mentioned Lucario earlier, so true.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
And aside from those 5, the only tournament viable characters, Are Peach, and MAYBE CF. all that talk about Ganon and Doc and Samus being legitamate characters in that game is a load of bull. And I would know, I main Ganon/Doc.
Ice Climbers are tournament viable.

Falco's dair nerf really doesn't hurt him at all either, the spike is still there for the majority of the time.
Falco's dair nerf is 99% irrelevant, yup.

To be fair, Pichu shouldn't even count when talking about balance, it was designed to be the worst character in the game, it's trophy description reflects that.
This. Joke characters do not factor into balance.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
That might sound bad, but if you look at Brawl, it's not that different.
In Melee we have 6 characters all with a good shot at winning, with 2 semi-viable characters (Falcon and IC).
In Brawl with MK legal we have......1 or 4 depending on your definition of "viable", though I'd be inclined to say only 1 viable character, with 3 semi-viable characters.
Without MK legal, it's hard to say, but I guess the viable characters (without secondaries) would be Snake, Diddy, Falco, with Olimar, Marth, IC and Wario being semi-viable. (they'd be about the same level of viability as Captain Falcon/IC in Melee)

da K.I.D. said:
2. Phoenix Wright is/will be quite viable in Marvel 3. As is Roll in TvC. Also, Dan is actually fairly decent in SF
You're using a different definition of Joke character.
Pichu was literally designed to be a terrible character, that should only be played in handicap mode, and if someone was to win with Pichu, "great respect should be given to them" or something.
Phoenix is designed to be viable, I'm assuming Roll is too, Dan idk.

link2702

Smash Champion
IDK why people are even thinking of using pichu when refering to the games balance.

if even said out right in its trophy description, that IT WAS MADE AS A HANDICAP CHARACTER, not a joke character that cna be viable, a joke character that was literally made to handicap the player using him, to give new players a chance against a more experienced player.

TrickLittleBird

Smash Rookie
I'm sorry about my earlier post......It's just that, I loved using meta knight....I didn't even know he was broken XD

His white armour alternate color= epic....

again, I am sorry for the trouble I have caused....

Bones0

Smash Legend
You also forgot Sheik...

You have to take into account representation. As large as the Smash community is, we don't have a large enough player pool for tournaments to accurately reflect which characters are viable. The characters I could see placing in the top 5 at a national within the next year are (in no particular order) Fox, Falco, Falcon, Marth, Sheik, Jiggs, Peach, ICs, Doc, and Pikachu. That's 10. You also have a few characters who could reasonably break into the top in the future. Ganon, Samus, and Luigi all do fairly well considering their representation compared to the top tiers (plus, I'm sure if Shroomed played Mario instead of Doc he would also be in this area since they are so similar).

Eon the Wolf

Smash Ace
NNID
Ethinial
You're using a different definition of Joke character.
Pichu was literally designed to be a terrible character, that should only be played in handicap mode, and if someone was to win with Pichu, "great respect should be given to them" or something.
Phoenix is designed to be viable, I'm assuming Roll is too, Dan idk.
...I guess this would be a bad time to mention I won against a sheik/link combo as pichu with a bowser teammate at a friendly dubs match...? Granted, friendlies....but still, dead serious game....
I guess I also shouldn't mention that I got 6 of the 8 kills, and 2 of them were '2 at once' double kills >.>...<.<...
if even said out right in its trophy description, that IT WAS MADE AS A HANDICAP CHARACTER, not a joke character that cna be viable, a joke character that was literally made to handicap the player using him, to give new players a chance against a more experienced player.
Unless the person is really, really good at pichu....Me and other NEOH-ians have used pichu for lulz and ended up wrecking other folks...Although that's prob more due to insufficient MU knowledge....So few people use/practice/expand pichu, so it's hard to be prepared against a "good" pichu at first xD

You also forgot Sheik...

You have to take into account representation. As large as the Smash community is, we don't have a large enough player pool for tournaments to accurately reflect which characters are viable. The characters I could see placing in the top 5 at a national within the next year are (in no particular order) Fox, Falco, Falcon, Marth, Sheik, Jiggs, Peach, ICs, Doc, and Pikachu. That's 10. You also have a few characters who could reasonably break into the top in the future. Ganon, Samus, and Luigi all do fairly well considering their representation compared to the top tiers (plus, I'm sure if Shroomed played Mario instead of Doc he would also be in this area since they are so similar).
THAT is something people never seem to remember/understand, and I'm so glad you brought it up; tiers and tournament results are nice, but limited. I know of a fair few number of videos of AMAZING players for mid/low tier brawl n melee players who I NEVER see/hear mentioned at big tournies...I usually learn that most of them can't/don't go :/. Tournaments and tier lists can only show us the results of those who are near by or can afford/manage to attend notable tournaments. I myself rarely get to go to my NEOH tournies as I lack reliable transportation (and funds), I can't imagine how hard it can be for some folks to go half/all the way across the US to go to a tourny...

The biggest argument for/against tiers I try to make to people I talk to who aren't clear on fighters is that tiers are an indication of how well a given character is doing, and that it is NOT set in stone (usually); Just because character B is at 3rd place, or character A is at 2nd, does NOT mean they're cemented in stone and forever 'the best'. One need only look at melee/early street fighters to see the changes over a period of years for proof of that. Of course, that is a problem in this community because without reliable large scale pools of various characters being played by competitive/'pro' players, we cannot truly make a reliable ban, and as someone said some 800000000 pages ago, fighters are FAR from the easiest games to get people together, ESPECIALLY as the distance needed to travel becomes larger. Until such a time that more notable and big name tournaments start going to places other than CA/WA/NY/MD/Wherever else, we will only have so much info on the characters/tiers from which to make ban/tier list judgements, and thus while we're comfortable at this moment with the estimations we make of who would/would not be 'viable'...there's still so much unexplored potential due to the limitations of the data we've collected...(Not to mention all the people who play top tier characters for 'easy wins' and learn/copy all the top tier character's latest strategies instead of innovating the strategies....or innovating mid/low tier character strategies...)
-----
(BTW 'da kid'....How can you say 'MAYBE CF'?! He's been a reliable/strong character in the right hands for ages!)

Moblin

Smash Apprentice
The only thing that would actually settle a debate about whether Brawl minus Metaknight or Melee is more balanced would be tournament results. But this isn't the Brawl balance vs. Melee balance thread.

What I would really like to see is a few mid tier characters start to thrive in Brawl now that Metaknight has been banned. It would be proof for me that the ban was a good thing. But it is not likely.

Flayl

Smash Hero
If you can't even compare two games from the same series, there's almost nothing you can compare.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
I didn't mean for things to go this way!

The low and bottom tier for Brawl are not just proportionately smaller, but they are also just better characters. Lucas is much more viable than anyone in Melee DK and below or so (please don't start talking about how great DK is, I don't care).

With that said, that's not because Brawl is a victory for fighting game design. It's only really because you can't get a kill on a low tier with a single read and thus said character simply has more chances to land hits. In Melee you have several characters who can't approach and have terrible defensive options, range, and recovery that also lose a stock in one or two reads. Brawl doesn't have that -- by design -- except in a few rare cases.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I didn't mean for things to go this way!

The low and bottom tier for Brawl are not just proportionately smaller, but they are also just better characters. Lucas is much more viable than anyone in Melee DK and below or so (please don't start talking about how great DK is, I don't care).

With that said, that's not because Brawl is a victory for fighting game design. It's only really because you can't get a kill on a low tier with a single read and thus said character simply has more chances to land hits. In Melee you have several characters who can't approach and have terrible defensive options, range, and recovery that also lose a stock in one or two reads. Brawl doesn't have that -- by design -- except in a few rare cases.
...Every character in the game dies to one or two reads, it isn't a low tier exclusive thing.

Low tiers are just as unviable in Brawl, a Lucas will never make it anywhere in a tournament against intelligent players because he gets hard countered by several characters. It has nothing to do with the game's mechanics, and unwinnable match-up is still an unwinnable match-up.

Flayl

Smash Hero
I'm actually surprised Mekos does as well as he does considering Lucas's glaring weaknesses.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Grim Tuesday, yes every character dies in a few reads but that only makes their glaring issues that much more severe, especially when tons of low tier characters suffer from chain grabs from quite a few top tier characters. The low tier in melee is just much, much much worse.
And yeah, Lucas is bad. I didn't say he wasn't.

Anthon1996

Smash Ace
NNID
AnUglyBarnacle
3DS FC
5301-0385-3871
Look at his join date, then look at his name. I think it's the latter, Drake.

Drake12

Smash Ace
Look at his join date, then look at his name. I think it's the latter, Drake.
Lolol. I hear ya, and I agree with that being the probable answer. But hey, we all start somewhere.
Also, look at his post count.
Fun fact buddy kirby and sonic aren't even close to being the best. They are not even high tier. Not trying to sound mean, just letting ya know.

Anthon1996

Smash Ace
NNID
AnUglyBarnacle
3DS FC
5301-0385-3871
Lolol. I hear ya, and I agree with that being the probable answer. But hey, we all start somewhere.
Also, look at his post count.
Fun fact buddy kirby and sonic aren't even close to being the best. They are not even high tier. Not trying to sound mean, just letting ya know.
Uh huh, definitely noticed that post count. Most likely just a mad novice Wi-Fi player. Hopefully he'll make good posts.

melee is a bad, outdated, unbalanced game
Mr. R is always one of my favorite posters. Entertaining to watch, entertaining to read.

Doc King

Smash Lord
This is a pretty hard one to decide, but I'm gonna have to go with Melee for most balanced. I mean characters that weren't so good before actually get to become completely viable characters (Puff, Falcon, Young Link). Also there aren't so many completely unbalanced matchups like Pika vs. Fox, Falco, Wolf, Falcon, Ganon, D3 vs. DK, Bowser, Ganon, Mario, PT, Marth vs. Ness and Lucas, DK vs. Ness and Lucas, Oli vs. Zelda and Ganon, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom