• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-Up Chart (Outdated); please refer to the new chart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
kirby 30:70 falco? 40:60 samus? 35:65 sheik?

wtf are the kirby boards smokin.
We are smoking the same awesomeness that Sakurai was smoking when he made brawl. (Joking)

But in all seriousness if you disagree come over to the Kirby boards and I am certain that one of the Kirby pros will explain why they think the match up in question is the way it is to you. Anyway that is if you wish to learn the logic behind it. Do not come over just to be a jerk.

BunBun

Smash Master
kirby 30:70 falco? 40:60 samus? 35:65 sheik?

wtf are the kirby boards smokin.
Seriously. My prophecy about how terrible this chart will end up is slowly happening.

If ****ing Kirby vs. Sheik is 35:65, and Y. Link vs. Sheik is 40:60, then Doc vs. Sheik must be like 60:40 Doc's favor or something. This is beyond ******** and will only get worse.
The Kirby boards support arbitrary numbers =D

It would seriously just be easier to say that everyone except Pichu, Roy, Bowser and Yoshi have good matchups against Kirby.

However, nothing is nearly as bad as Fox.

Most characters don't actually straight up run over Kirby.

Luigi does though. **** Luigi.

But yeah, there's only like 3 people that play this ****ing character. How many of you guys can honestly say you've put in a lot of time against players playing trash tier characters as their mains, and knowing matchups?

idea

Smash Master
i love how low tiers have unexpected horrible matchups. like when you're forced to say "i just can't beat luigi" you know something is wrong.

Rappster

Smash Ace
Right now, i have two major issues with the current list.
First, 80+% of the disagreement on matchups is within 10 points or so.
Is matchup x 50-50 or 55-45? 45-55 or 35-65? 40-60 or 30-70?
Why not just place matchups on a 10 point scale (5-5, 6-4, 7-3 etc.) and cut out the conflict?
second, we have no good definition for these matchup ratios. The idea that they demonstrate how often one side of a match-up will win is ludicrous. If high-level falco mains beats 75% of the high-level foxes by 1 stock (on average), does that mean the matchup is 75-25 in favor of falco?
NO!
It seems much more reasonable to define these ratios as stocks taken. For example, if the falco mains in the example beats 75% of high-level foxes by one stock, and loses to the rest by 2 stocks, then the falco’s advantage is 4/7*75%+1/3*25%= 51%, making the matchup 51-49 or about 5-5.
This is my reasoning behind the math:
When falco mains win against fox by 1 stock, that means they lose 3 stocks each match. In an average match, a total of 7 stocks are lost, with the falcos taking four. (4/7).
They don’t win every game, however. The ones that they lose, they usually lose by 2 stocks. In those matches, the falco mains take 2 stocks and lose four, for a total of 6 stocks (2/6=1/3).
Now you just have to weigh the two results by how often they happen. They take 4stocks out of seven 75% of the time and 1stock out of three 25% of the time

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
When was the last time you played a Kirby in tournament KK?
Oh, I get it. You're attacking my inexperience with the character. Fortunately, I mained this horrible little gumball for a year. He's really bad against Sheik, I assure you.

Anyway, to answer your question, the last time I played a Kirby in tournament was probably a year ago.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
heres what im not getting.

So the kirby boards say their matchu with *high tier char* is 40:60. But the *high tier char* boards say its like 10:90.

who do u trust? the low tier mains who "know the matchup", or the high tier mains who trash kirby cuz kirby sucks?

I have no idea why Samus-Kirby would be that even.

What the **** could Kirby possibly have that would prevent this matchup from being utterly ruinous for Kirby.

And how does Luigi do better against Kirby than Marth or Sheik? wut

BunBun

Smash Master
DANCE, MY PUPPETS!

Congrats, now you are all talking about a trash tier character.
I would suspect that most of the top/high tier boards immediately write this matchup off as 90-10 without playing it, or only playing people of vastly different skill levels.

Anyway, you wanted our opinion of the matchups. Take it how you will.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
heres what im not getting.

So the kirby boards say their matchu with *high tier char* is 40:60. But the *high tier char* boards say its like 10:90.

who do u trust? the low tier mains who "know the matchup", or the high tier mains who trash kirby cuz kirby sucks?
Probably the people that have a player using their respective characters at high levels.

Also go complain about it on the Sheik thread then. =P

Stratocaster

Smash Ace
I want the old match-up chart back. Those Kirby values are nonsense. Has any elite player using a top/high character ever lost to Kirby? It should happen sometimes if the match-up is 65-35 vs jiggs, sheik, marth. Really good kirby players can only beat those characters if the player is significantly worse than them.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I think we should do matchups off fruit.

Like, Sheik vs Roy would be watermelon for Sheik.

But Sheik vs Fox would be lemon for Fox.

You understand, yes?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
i do. so falcon vs marth would be about a pineapple and sheik vs marth would be a cantaloupe in my opinion

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Go here if you want to yell at Kirby players. It's not my personal opinion. =)
I really think the kirby boards have discredited themselves to the point where we should assign another character specific board at random to determine kirby's MUs.

also, lmao @ kirby pros

m2 v zelda is an orange. m2 dk is probably grapes. m2 fox is tangerine.

as usual kaostar you severely overrate your character

Fox-M2 is at least grapefruit, if not a large yellow watermelon.

God leave your M2 bias in the M2 boards.

Merkuri

Smash Lord
I want the old match-up chart back. Those Kirby values are nonsense. Has any elite player using a top/high character ever lost to Kirby? It should happen sometimes if the match-up is 65-35 vs jiggs, sheik, marth. Really good kirby players can only beat those characters if the player is significantly worse than them.
Well there aren't really any Kirby players so we don't really know if they would occasionally beat the Shieks, Jiggs and Marths. And I feel like if it weren't for Cosmo people would laugh at the idea of Zelda beating Foxes and Falcos, and yet Cosmo does it all the time.

I really think the kirby boards have discredited themselves to the point where we should assign another character specific board at random to determine kirby's MUs.
Does that mean we are going to ignore the opinion of characters boards everytime we disagree with them? That isn't a solution. Most of us know absolutely nothing about the match up in anything other than friendlies, they do have the monopoly of the knowledge on the topic.

MalwareDie

Smash Cadet
Seriously. My prophecy about how terrible this chart will end up is slowly happening.

If ****ing Kirby vs. Sheik is 35:65, and Y. Link vs. Sheik is 40:60, then Doc vs. Sheik must be like 60:40 Doc's favor or something. This is beyond ******** and will only get worse.
Doc players couldn't be that ********. overwhelmingly agree with everything else.

The matchup chart has been horribly disfigured. It should be restricted to input from high level players like HugS. Any random person could post better numbers for Kirby.

BunBun

Smash Master
IDC if anyone uses our matchup numbers. Feel free to put them all at 100-0. It doesn't affect us at all. We were aske our opinion of the matchups, and gave them. That's it.

Merkuri

Smash Lord
The matchup chart has been horribly disfigured. It should be restricted to input from high level players like HugS. Any random person could post better numbers for Kirby.
I agree. This chart should only be affected by people who can prove they know what they are talking about.

rhan

Smash Hero
Kirby definitely doesn't go 30-70 with any of the below:

Fox
Falco
Sheik
Marth
Jiggs

And Kirby doesn't go 40-60 against Samus. at best for Kirby it's like 35-65. But I believe that it's 30-70.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom