• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Losing like a Winner: The competitive guide to Losing.

Sky`

Smash Lord
1: "Good games man."
2: "F*cking F*ggots get so Lucky some times."
1 goes to shake 2's hand, but 2 simply pulls his/her controller out of the port and storms off. 2 later is heard talking about the match.
2: "I could beat em, He/she just got lucky. No skill, it was a lucky gimp. That guy/girl's a scrub. So F*cking lucky."

1. "Good games man."
2. "Haha, I know. You're too pro! ^__^"
They shake hands, and later play some friendlies. Though 2 is disappointed about his/her loss, he or she is able to cope with the fact that another member of the community rose up in the bracket.

"I believe that there are certain mentalities that occur when and if we lose. And it's those frustrations that hold us back from our potential in a tournament."
-Sky`

Losing like a Winner: The competitive guide to Losing.

Losing is never fun. Nobody says, "Aww man, I can't wait to spend five dollars to get last in a bracket! Awesome!" Nah, that's rarely the case. And when you lose, especially early in the tournament, you feel just... hopeless. Some feel angry, some feel depressed... some feel just empty. It sucks, I've been there, and I'm sure you have too.

But I feel that when and if we choose to feel these feelings, we set ourselves up for disaster. It's that disaster that drastically alters the way you feel about the game, and about the tournament scene in a whole. Take this example.

You Enter a tournament.
You Lose your first round.
At this point, you're pretty much depressed or just down right angry. The fact is, you spend the money and time to go to this tournament, and you are one step away from being eliminated all together. Stress and anxiety shroud you as you anticipate your next match, and soon you can't really focus. Why did I lose my first match? I don't normally... I thought I was good... what's going on?
With all of this clouding your head, you enter your next match, and lose.
Now you start feeling horrible, like you don't even belong in the competitive scene yet, because you just lost twice, 0-2 at a tournament that won't be happening for another week or so.

These feelings are indiscriminate. It doesn't matter if you're a pro or a n00b, you're not immune to anxiety, stress, depression, etc.

Well, I've created some steps for the people who feel like this when they lose. I feel like these steps will not only help you get farther in tournament, but they will also make you more accepted in the community, as well as a better smasher overall. =]

Unrealistic Goals:
Though everybody would love to go into a tournament and Win, there can only be one real winner. Are you good enough to win a regional? Chances are, no, because there can only be one, which is a small margin to choose from, don't you think? So instead of going to a tournament to win, Go to a tournament to Learn! Redefine Winning. EX: The most recent tournament I went to, I almost beat BOA in a tournament match. Peach Vs marth is Horrid. But I brought it back, and was that close to beating him. It was a good match, amazing match... Everybody was watching, and I got recognition as a prominent player. I already knew this to be true, but now they did too. =] That was my victory. That was my win. I went home happy with the results, and I intend to do better next time. If you set those goals for yourself, you'll find that inching to the top isn't that hard after all.

Calm
When you enter a match, you want your head to be as level as possible. Take a second, breath, and enter the match like you would anywhere. Play your best, and that's all you can do. But above all, always have that smile on your face. You're playing a game that you enjoy I hope, so lets see the tangible representation of that!

Accept losing.
If you lose, I'm sure there are thoughts pulsating your head, because it's never fun to lose. But Don't john, and don't strip your controller and just run off with out shaking the other person's hand, be a good sport. That's step one to clearing the mentality of a loss. Smile, Shake their hand, maybe even compliment them. Don't start saying why you lost or anything like that, because it just shows arrogance, and it gives you that image of an elitist.

----But what I lose to a Random? Or it was a fluke? Or-
If you know that you shouldn't have lost to somebody because you're better for whatever reason, telling everybody that isn't going to do anything, is it? It's not going to change the bracket, nor turn back time, nor make him forfeit the match to you. None of that. So why say it? Actions speak louder than words. Smile and congratulate him on his/her 'good' win. If you are better like you say you are, then that win for them is going to benefit them. Bask in their glory, rather than wallow in your pity. It'll make you feel better experiencing the joy that they are. I mean, wouldn't you be happy if you beat somebody good? As are they, so nurture them. The last thing that they want is you to not like them because they beat you. Just keep your self mentally strong and reserved, and you'll be fine.

Smile!
Give your self a big smile after a game. Haha, I mean, you lost, but that's not the end of the tournament right? You've still got losers. And nobody's ever made it from the first round of losers to win the whole tournament Mango's proven that you can still succeed if you just push through the obstacles and the mental blocks. And smiling eliminates the mental blocks that would proceed from losing. There isn't much to smile about, but we do it to create the sense of good sportsmanship, as well as a friendly disposition.

Assess yourself:
Why did you lose? Calmly ask yourself this question, and take responsibility for your own faults. Ever think that maybe, just maybe, it's because you just didn't practice enough? Or maybe you're not as good as you thought you might be? Play some friendlies, and get back on track mentally for the next game ahead. =]

And... go for it:
Above all, you just gotta give it your all every game. Don't shortchange yourself because you're mad or depressed, get back into the mentality that you had when you came to the tournament in the beginning. Show the losers bracket that you've got something to prove. Are you known? Then show the world why you are known, by beating the living hell out of the tournament. Are you not ranked? Then prove to these people that you've got what it takes to be considered a threat, and the Losers bracket isn't gonna take you down. If anything, the people in the winners bracket are lucky that they don't have to fight you. Haha, a little funny motivation for people to think about, but you get the idea. =]

This was a bit rushed, but I really hope this opens eyes to people that can't seem to shake that depression off after losing. Go out there and start pwning that losers bracket. =] I'll maybe edit and write more in a bit. Gotta run. Tell me what you think guys. =]

tl;dr?
Just be a happy person to be around. Smile and compliment after losing rather than scowling and moaning. Be happy to be at a tournament, and set small goals for placing. Go out there, and be somebody.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
I would stab 2 in the throat.

Great read after you got pwnt in that other thread. I cant take much from it though since I'm always a happy mother ****er at tourneys.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I'd think the people who get angry after losing a tournament and storms off really has no.... well, they'd be over obsessed...

Sky`

Smash Lord
I'd think the people who get angry after losing a tournament and storms off really has no.... well, they'd be over obsessed...
Well sometimes I get frustrated with myself when I lose, but never to the point where I'm like... "I F*CKING HATE YOU", ya dig?

bobson

Smash Lord
1: "Good games man."
2: "F*cking F*ggots get so Lucky some times."
1 goes to shake 2's hand, but 2 simply pulls his/her controller out of the port and storms off. 2 later is heard talking about the match.
2: "I could beat em, He/she just got lucky. No skill, it was a lucky gimp. That guy/girl's a scrub. So F*cking lucky."
Do people actually do this in person?
I thought that only happened online.

Losing is a blast for me. I lose with style.

Kawaii Poyo

Smash Champion
I've lost to scrubs before and I felt like ****, but I didn't john. I just accept the fact I'm bad. With this guide, I know you're trying to be nice. But I haven't seen one guide that straight up says "Don't live in denial, don't deny the loss. You're bad at smash. If you lost to someone bad just accept that you're bad, otherwise you wouldn't lose to them." I live by that quote and I just mold my gameplay to make myself better.

Although I will admit, I've beaten/almost beaten smashers FAAAR better than me, but they either suicided at a low percent or were sandbagging. At least I think they were, I'm terrible, xD

I myself am guilty to sandbagging however I've never sandbagged badly enough to lose a set, any set that someone has beaten me is legit. Although I've 2-stocked some people and just lost motivation, so I lost the second match. Then I goto MK to 2-stock effortlessly (okay, its a tournament match, I didn't put no effort into my won but I couldn't use Kirby cause I have to try to play Kirby).

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Well sometimes I get frustrated with myself when I lose, but never to the point where I'm like... "I F*CKING HATE YOU", ya dig?
That's why I said "and storms off" lol. S'okay t' git ANGRY, but not too FAR.

laki

Smash Apprentice
Sky, are you trying to get in the back room by making good threads every week <3

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
People truly shouldn't be playing game just to win, their supposed to be having fun... Tourneys just take things up to a higher level that makes the game more of a workout than a fun experience... This is why I truly don't like tourneys, they ruin the fact brawl is a game... Just learn what you did wrong and get on with your life, it shouldn't be something that gives you a hard time to sleep...

SothE700k

Smash Lord
Yeah the "compliment your opponent" thing helps too, because you can laugh off the mistakes in the game and enjoy it.
I got gimped on Smashville in the 3rd match of a set 15 seconds into it, and I was laughing about it with people, it helps because you know you created some funny moments.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Nobody says, "Aww man, I can't wait to spend five dollars to get last in a bracket! Awesome!" Nah, that's rarely the case.
I'm one of those cases were a person wakes up and goes "Alright! I get too lose $5 dollars today!", except it was $15 and I didn't get out of pools. XD

But yes, this is a good guide. You're going to loose a lot the first couple (dozen) tournaments, it shouldn't piss you off. And even once you get good you are going to lose more tournaments then win them. Why get angry over that fact?

Kawaii Poyo

Smash Champion
I actually love to lose. The ones I lose are my best matches.
lol, this is somewhat true for me too. Back in November last year, I fought Hat in Kirby dittos in tournament, even though I lost I was happy as it was the best I've ever played, I did take the first match at least, I didn't get 2-0'd. Losing often happens when you fight people better than you and when you fight people better than you, you play better or at you're best.

Also, where I live (MD/VA) there are only 2 people who win tourneys, Azen and Chu lol. Candy wins the tourney if there are 2 tourneys and he goes to one H2YL doesn't.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
I've never actually gotten angry for losing. Sure, I've been irritated in situations from fighting an overally campy character for example, but that's where the Ganon Johns come in.

Kidding. I always try to make the point that I thoroughly enjoyed a match, no matter the outcome. Some of my most entertaining matches have me losing... horribly.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Awesome guide, Sky. You should link your video to this.

Skyshroud

Smash Ace
Sky` said:
there can only be one
inb4spaceghost

I hope someone gets the reference...

In all seriousness, a good read, although it does overlap a bit with some other topics and is a lot of common sense. Unfortunately, many of the people who should be reading this probably won't.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I constantly curse during friendlies, but in a "friendly" way. XD

As for tournament play, I'm completely silent for both games; I'm in my own little world at that point but win or lose...I always shake hands, compliment, and give respect. It's the one thing that I really like about the majority of the community, the courtesy and sportsmanship. Being in such an environment since 06 is what kept me around, and it helped me in improving and developing my confidence as a player.

Good read Sky.

Xiahou Dun

Smash Ace
A Guide on losing, and I wasn't consulted?

Pfft. Amateurs...

To be honest the thread is truthful and wise and all but if you actually need to read a guide to realise the benefits of any of this stuff then you really are beyond saving if you ask me...

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
...or you could just play to win, and if you don't win, start cutting yourself because winning is all that really matters in life.

In all seriousness, Sky' is too good. If there is a painfully obvious fact out there that people still can't seem to understand, Sky' will find a way to put it in terms that those people can understand. I don't know what SWF would do without your well-written OPs.

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
whats TL;DR.

Sorry, i really dont know this, so can someone camly explain it to me xP?
It means "too long; didn't read"

A Guide on losing, and I wasn't consulted?

Pfft. Amateurs...

To be honest the thread is truthful and wise and all but if you actually need to read a guide to realise the benefits of any of this stuff then you really are beyond saving if you ask me...
Great post but I kind of have to agree with Xiahou here. No one who actually needs this kind of advice would use the guide. =/

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
If you don't wanna smile or be really friendly after a match, that's fine and understandable. Just, seriously, no johns. And make sure to at least say good game..... but SERIOUSLY no johns.

BombermanFanatic

Smash Cadet
Sometimes losing is more fun than winning. After spending weeks utterly destroying my friends, I'm acually looking forward to a good loss. Sure it sucks getting knocked out right off the bat, but I'd rather fail at something difficult than succeed at something easy.
If there is one thing Martial arts as shown me, it's that you can't improve at something unless you are training with somebody that's at or above skill level.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I only get mad at how I lose, not who I lose to. And if I'm mad, I sigh, say "gg" And go on my way and thrash a pillow or something of the sort...

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Losing does suck but as long as you felt like you played as best as you could under the situations you were in than you shouldn't feel all that bad. It would suck though if you SD'd accidently.

If someone loses a match badly than that person clearly doesn't deserve to move onto the next round (Even though it might suck someone who is less talented might go) If that person lost the match and made it close than that person should understand he/she could have taken the match and has potential to go further. In the first scenario you should train to get better and look forward to it. In the 2nd scenerio you should be proud of making the person you lost to have to earn it.

Smash, along with other things is just a game and should be played for fun and not only for winning. If a person has fun with an activity the end result hardly ever bothers him. If he only plays to win than the frustration of keeping up an ego or only getting a prize will drain away interest in the activity.

Sky`

Smash Lord
...or you could just play to win, and if you don't win, start cutting yourself because winning is all that really matters in life.

In all seriousness, Sky' is too good. If there is a painfully obvious fact out there that people still can't seem to understand, Sky' will find a way to put it in terms that those people can understand. I don't know what SWF would do without your well-written OPs.
^^^
Thank you. I very much appreciate that. =]

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
What can a person who combines characteristics of both 2A and 2B? Because I need to do it.

I'm fine with losing. If I can be pushed to my limits and fight as hard as I can, I feel good, win or lose.

But maybe a week or so ago, I got completely destroyed in an online friendly match...

I'm fine with it now... but for some reason, I actually cried over it... and I knew then and knew now I had no reason to cry... I was simply outclassed..... but still... it hurt for some reason..

Nice Message, Sky. You seem really smart. Do you have any advice for someone like me?

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I only am pissed/annoyed when I totally messed up or were not feeling well on that day so generally were playing bad.

Even then I shake hands and say good games. I'm used to losing, so I'm not sore about it.^^

auroreon

Smash Ace
Sky', ussually I disagree with almost everything you post.
But I think this post addresses one of the most important aspects of playing Brawl or infact, any game at a competetive level.
I think a lot of people overlook this and just concentrate on trying to learn how to use their character more effectively and then wonder why they still have trouble competing. In my oppinion, what a player needs to master before anything else when they start playing Brawl is their emotions.
So many people don't realise the contrast between a player who is frustrated or otherwise emotionally effected, and a player who is completely calm and collected. The difference in consistency and quality of play is incredibly large.

I think most people when they are losing, feel emotionally negative, frustrated and have an uncomfortable feeling in their stomach, when a player feels this way... they are not in full control of their character. In this state, a players judgements are no longer controlled solely by their logic and knowledge of the game, emotion has taken over the mind and is clouding the players decision making process.
A player who is being affected by the game emotionally will not analyse their movements or the oppositions movements, they will not absorb and learn anything or gain any experience from a match. Their playstyle will change and they will act irrationally and make mistakes far more often.

My point is, the #1 thing to learn in this game, above anything else is to be able to control your own mind and emotionally detache from the game. A mind clear of emotion is far more effecient than one impaired by emotion.
This is not only a skill that serves one requires to succeed at competetive gaming, it is a skill that is required to succeed in life.
At the end of the day, it is those who can master this skill that will win matches, rather than those who put more effort into practising and learning the game.

Top Bottom