• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Losing like a Winner: The competitive guide to Losing.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Sky, are you trying to get in the back room by making good threads every week <3
Well if Sky does, I personally think Sky deserves it. ...Right?

But anyway, this is really good advice for those 'angrier' people in the Brawl scene. Everyone has to loose, and unless you're completely amazing and perfect someone will always be better then you. You have to take the loss and evaluate it, and not get mad. I can relate to getting mad, I was playing some friendlies and loosing matches I normally wouldn't lose, and by the end of about 10 matches I was pretty mad at myself. I tried my best to just look at what I was doing wrong, and told my myself over and over all the good things you can do to improve your game. (Observing, blahblahblah) I kept losing, but then I just took a break for a while and after regaining control of my thoughts I was playing quite well.

You're an auto-n00b if you disregard the advice this thread gives you.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Heh, I have to say I get mad not when I lose (which is often), but how I lose. I know what my problem is, and I try to work around it, but when I mess up too harshly, I know I just get completely out of it.

HOWEVER, that is my own fault and not my opponent's, and therefore I'm not gonna be a **** to him because he won.

I've had to deal with people like 2 before, in fact one of them comes to smash with me almost daily. It's seriously annoying, to the point where I let the guy win in friendlies from time to time to avoid having to hear him *****.

So yeah, basically, listen to Sky, he/she has the right idea this time.

Sky`

Smash Lord
Heh, I have to say I get mad not when I lose (which is often), but how I lose. I know what my problem is, and I try to work around it, but when I mess up too harshly, I know I just get completely out of it.

HOWEVER, that is my own fault and not my opponent's, and therefore I'm not gonna be a **** to him because he won.

I've had to deal with people like 2 before, in fact one of them comes to smash with me almost daily. It's seriously annoying, to the point where I let the guy win in friendlies from time to time to avoid having to hear him *****.

So yeah, basically, listen to Sky, he/she has the right idea this time.
I'm a guy, douche bag. xD

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
F*cking F*ggot got so lucky! I would've been right if he'd been a he/she...

*rips his keyboard out of his computer and storms off*

.Marik

is a social misfit
Wow. This is an amazing thread.

Truth be told, when I went to my first Tournament not to long ago, I didn't even make it out of pools.

I was despressed, anxious, and... just sad. I worked so hard with my Yoshi...

But. Everyone there was really nice, and I had the most fun matches I've ever had during friendlies. People kept encouraging me, and I was probably better than most people there, but got really hard Pools. ;P (Lol Johns)

Anyways, I'm going to keep trying, so one day I can place like PRiDE or Bwett, pure Yoshi. And perhaps Ice Climbers. There's no use giving up, correct? Giving up and sulking about it won't make you better. Playing others and accepting defeat so you can get better... now that works. Practicing until your hands are raw, and you beat a really good player, that will make you better.

So, I'm going to my second Tournament this Sunday, and I'm going to try not to panic, lose my cool, and get frustrated.

After all, you go there to meet people, and play a game you love. :yoshi:

Again, awesome thread Sky.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I got mad, angry, and depressed with my Melee Falco. I just can't double shine or do anything creative anymore (which is required once you make it further into the bracket because anything even close to "the norm" gets *****). Did I take the time to evaluate my situation and pick my chin up high, you ask?

Nope, I just added him to my counterpick options and I main Melee Peach now. I just beat the system! Huzzah! xD

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
KB, that story pales in comparison to your amazing signature...

How can anyone possibly pay attention to text when there's something that incredible right under it!?

Sky`

Smash Lord
I got mad, angry, and depressed with my Melee Falco. I just can't double shine or do anything creative anymore (which is required once you make it further into the bracket because anything even close to "the norm" gets *****). Did I take the time to evaluate my situation and pick my chin up high, you ask?

Nope, I just added him to my counterpick options and I main Melee Peach now. I just beat the system! Huzzah! xD
Switching Falco for Peach?
Ballllsy.

But not as ballsy as giving up Marth for Doc. XD

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216

How can anyone possibly pay attention to text when there's something that incredible right under it!?
I'm not sure, lol. You're absolutely right though; Tony Jaa Falcon is win.

Switching Falco for Peach?
Ballllsy.

But not as ballsy as giving up Marth for Doc. XD
That is Ballsy, haha. So how is he coming along? You know I'll be wanting to play it while I'm over there right? =P

Falconv1.0

Smash Master

By making him ignored because he constantly follows you to let you know you're too mean?

Yet another mystery solved by Falcon.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
By making him ignored because he constantly follows you to let you know you're too mean?

Yet another mystery solved by Falcon.
What's wrong with speaking the truth? You're nothing but a trolling **** in denial of his own actions.

And I stress trolling

Seriously, not even any initial provocative statement from me, and you still come out of nowhere to speak nonsense. You're the e-pricky type of 08er that makes me laugh.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
2. F*ckin f*ggot, it was a lucky gimp

1. Thats what ya get for playin Olimar BIOTCH!

King Beef, your sig is orgasmic

M.K

Level 55
I really hate online tournament matches, especially when I lose to people with bad grammar. Usually I just turn my Wii off after the match in which I am eliminated.
However, I've never been to an in-person tournament, but I would act so much friendlier to other people. Especially because acting like a ******* just makes you seem like such a douche.

asob4

Smash Champion
i <3 sky
whenever we play in tourney we end it like gentlemen and tell each other good luck and to make it far :D

~skank

Mugga

Smash Rookie
But what do you do if you lose to some one then they brag about it and say you suck? lol

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yuna's Guide to Losing like a Winrar:
First: "Thanks for the game."/"Good game."
Second: Shake hands.
Third: Plot gruesome (but legal) revenge.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Sorry, there's some really good advice here, but there is some stuff that I will NEVER be able to not get pissed off at when losing.

I will NEVER not get pissed off at someone that taunts after taking a stock/match, especially if they had nothing to do with the KO. I have pretty much made it a point to stop playing then and there if this happens outside of a tournament.

I will NEVER not get pissed off at Diddy Kong's bananas, or any other similar thing that substantially more difficult to fight against than it is to do. Call it a john if you will (because that's what it is), but I am ****ing sick of not being able to do anything about those ****ing bananas because they're practically impossible to catch, come out insanely fast and combo into practically everything. (Did I mention I don't like Diddy Kong?)

And I will NEVER not get pissed off at people that try to tell me "what I did wrong" during the match. This is the worst one for me. If someone points out the "mistakes" I made or tries to give me advice, I will pretty much always lose it. I ****ing HATE being told how to play, especially because I almost never agree with the advice given.

So, yeah. I'm a sore loser at tournaments a lot of the times. It's just something I've come to accept. It's also why I basically don't play in tournaments anymore. Because when I'm playing for money, I take the game too ****ing seriously and probably always will. Money actually MEANS something to me, and I don't join a tournament to lose. Your post makes a lot of sense, TC, but it's just not a realistic thing to ask someone like me.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Sorry, there's some really good advice here, but there is some stuff that I will NEVER be able to not get pissed off at when losing.

I will NEVER not get pissed off at someone that taunts after taking a stock/match, especially if they had nothing to do with the KO. I have pretty much made it a point to stop playing then and there if this happens outside of a tournament.

I will NEVER not get pissed off at Diddy Kong's bananas, or any other similar thing that substantially more difficult to fight against than it is to do. Call it a john if you will (because that's what it is), but I am ****ing sick of not being able to do anything about those ****ing bananas because they're practically impossible to catch, come out insanely fast and combo into practically everything. (Did I mention I don't like Diddy Kong?)

And I will NEVER not get pissed off at people that try to tell me "what I did wrong" during the match. This is the worst one for me. If someone points out the "mistakes" I made or tries to give me advice, I will pretty much always lose it. I ****ing HATE being told how to play, especially because I almost never agree with the advice given.

So, yeah. I'm a sore loser at tournaments a lot of the times. It's just something I've come to accept. It's also why I basically don't play in tournaments anymore. Because when I'm playing for money, I take the game too ****ing seriously and probably always will. Money actually MEANS something to me, and I don't join a tournament to lose. Your post makes a lot of sense, TC, but it's just not a realistic thing to ask someone like me.
You would hate to play me then. I'm so addicted to taunting after my kills from my time as a Melee Falcon player that it's guaranteed you will see a taunt if the opportunity arises. It's just harmless fun, nothing to take so seriously. :p

Your point on the bananas isn't entirely true. They're not hard to catch and you should just work on the timing some more. Well I suppose since I'm a Brawl Peach main and I'm always catching my own turnips to reuse in some way, catching anything else seems simple to me. I'm not sure how it's still so difficult at this point, but I'll still say it: no johns, practice up.

And no comment on the not taking advice portion. That's as counter-productive as one can get. Best of luck anyway.

Veril

Frame Savant
And no comment on the not taking advice portion. That's as counter-productive as one can get. Best of luck anyway.
So true. The best time to ask for advice is right after getting owned by a good player. They probably know what mistakes you made moreso than you do. I guess I don't really mind getting beaten, as long as I do better the next time around. I'd rather lose and laugh about it than act like a b****. People rarely talk sh** about a person who loses gracefully.

Every good player I've gone against and lost has been really cool to me (Glick, G-regulate, the TO at GIMPED who ***** me with sheik, etc <3). I just admire their skill, and try to get better myself.

Watchful_Eye

Smash Apprentice
Nicely written.. still I wonder that so-called "competitive players" need stuff like that - I learned "gg, no johns" in an age of 4 when I lost against my granny in Ludo :) .

I think everyone knows that its not good to be pissed off after losing. I wonder if you can teach that with written words - most of these guys just lost their self-control when they are sore losers, although they know themselves that it sucks.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I hear you problem. That's something I only think of if the other person goes to do it. I mean no disrespect, it just slips my mind.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I lost the Second round of the winners bracket in COT4 because I got staged spiked by the End of Luigi's Missile trying to kill him with an fair. I was really pissed off.

The first set in losers I fought was very easy in the first match, after throwing away my opponents cp I pick a cp and character that I regretted and was losing badly. To describe how badly he was winning was that he was starting to joke around and I started thinking about my losing speech that I usually tell people like my story of how I did in the tournament, and it wasn't a good one.

I don't know how, but for some reason I shifted myself into gear made a comeback and barley won. Then I won the next 3 sets and caused an upset against Atomsk and placed 17th in a National wide tournament. And If I didn't shift myself into gear on the first round of the losers I would have gotten 65th.

I'm pretty sure all of you have experianced this when you play, like when your playing and you start noticing everything thats happening outside of the screen like your hands and like noticing yourself you start to lose. That happened to me quite a few times but I somehow regained my focus and won.

The match isn't over until its over.

Irsic

Smash Ace
As a counter to Sir 0rion, I cannot stand people who do not take to advice well. I'm just trying to help. If you want to get all pissy about it, fine, but if you were to come to your senses later and ask me what I said earlier, I would tell you to **** off.

Those people aren't trying to tell you how to play, they're trying to help you play better. Maybe you should look into yourself.

SothE700k

Smash Lord
As a counter to Sir 0rion, I cannot stand people who do not take to advice well. I'm just trying to help. If you want to get all pissy about it, fine, but if you were to come to your senses later and ask me what I said earlier, I would tell you to **** off.

Those people aren't trying to tell you how to play, they're trying to help you play better. Maybe you should look into yourself.
Should be careful though when you give advice. Some people will be looking for all the help they can get, and if that's who you played, they will ask what went wrong. THEN say what went wrong.
Deal with someone that just doesn't give two craps, let them continue to suffer and move on. If they don't want to hear it and you keep trying to talk to them about it, you'll be the jerk who keeps cramming it down their throat.

Hyper-Marth

Smash Cadet
I'm glad that i lose sometimes, knowing that there is still room to improve is a good thing. Last tourny i went to i found out how little i know about good R.O.B players X_X... this make me get more serious about using ZSS as my 2nd character for a R.O.B counter (of sorts). I'm the type of person who builds up anger but is hardly ever angry. Luckily i have always ended up releasing that anger somewhere besides a tourny. Usually i get far enough in a tourny where i don't mind losing too much though.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Psh...who needs advice for Brawl? Just pick Metaknight or something. XD

Alright I'll stop, lol. <3 you all

goodkid

Smash Lord
Attitude is everything, the top players didn't where they're @ without a good mindset. Hopefully I can become a top player someday, nice read Sky ^_^

Top Bottom