• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Granny, 72, Having A Baby With Her Grandson

BBQTV

Smash Master
Yeah, good luck with that. Unless the kid's getting taxi rides to and from school until they're old enough to walk by themselves, people are gonna know.

thats easy take the bus! and it also depends on how old the kids are. young kids dont really know what incest is i would think

UberMario

Smash Master
I'm sure the kid is going to have friends who have older siblings that are going to know just by having to go with them to school in the same bus. They don't even have to be 13, there's going to be someone who will mess with this kid eventually.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
B-B-B-BONER KILLER!!!

But seriously eww thats nasty. I mean its cool to love your grandma and all but not that much

Darkslash

Smash Master
No, I'm being absolutely serious. Muslims have done naught but **** up this world, and they deserve to be executed for it.
Yea lets credit Western Europeans with finding the basics of Modern Medicine and Mathematics. Surely the Muslims didn't give us anything critical to modern society like Math and Medicine.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Glad to still there are people who are open to this kind of love. It's sad that people condemn them and call it sick.

I hope they have great children and a happy life

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Enough about the Muslims/guy who was talking about Muslims. He's clearly a troll and has already been infracted, and will be infracted even more if he continues posting.

So... don't feed the troll :D

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I think he's saying people are being over the top accepting because they don't want to seem non-PC. Which I have to agree with in this case.

GOD!

Smash Ace
It's actually terribly bigoted to infract someone for saying muslims are ruining the world and not to infract 50 people for saying incest is wrong. What a double standard.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
It's actually terribly bigoted to infract someone for saying muslims are ruining the world and not to infract 50 people for saying incest is wrong. What a double standard.
Nice try. These "50 people" weren't screaming for incestuous people's lives in such a blatantly obvious trolling way as that one guy did with Muslims. Not to mention, not spreading outright lies around to back up their views.

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
I think he's saying people are being over the top accepting because they don't want to seem non-PC. Which I have to agree with in this case.
I can't speak for others. For me, this topic came up during a discussion with a friend of mine who was doing research on moral psychology. The hypothetical question was: If two consenting adults engaged in an act of incest in which no one was harmed (no children with genetic illnesses were born, no one was abused, no one was psychologically scarred in any way), would you consider it wrong?

I said no then, and I meant no.

I admit that cases like the above are probably rare in real life. But I think the people in question here are both the products of broken family ties. And once those ties are broken, the psychological inclination to view a particular form of relationship as "off-limits" is also broken. Thus, the immediate reaction of disgust which most people would have towards an incestuous relationship is lacking for those involved in this case. That doesn't make it a healthy relationship off the bat, but I still withhold judgment against them for the incest alone.

My friend's research dealt heavily with how much people's emotional responses--in particular, their feelings of disgust regarding certain topics--rather than their logic and reasoning abilities, dictated their moral judgment. He said something about homophobia that I'll never forget, that, down to its roots, people tend to give in to their instinctive knee-jerk reactions of disgust and discomfort with regards to homosexuality and other sexual taboos, mainly because sexuality itself is often uncomfortable for many people, such that anything that deviates from the accepted norm triggers immense feelings of revulsion. Out of that knee-jerk reaction, people will build complex reasons for why something is immoral, and those reasons seem logical on the surface, but when whittled down to the roots, those reasons were meant only to justify a deeply emotional and irrational reaction.

For me, it's not about PC. It's about ethical consistency.

GOD!

Smash Ace
Nice try. These "50 people" weren't screaming for incestuous people's lives in such a blatantly obvious trolling way as that one guy did with Muslims. Not to mention, not spreading outright lies around to back up their views.
Don't be a drama queen.

He wasn't screaming, he was just posting his opinion. If putting your opinion out there is wrong, all of you shold be locked up. You can't get infracted for lying. And I'm sure some muslims somewhere did marry their cousins. Even if he was trolling, don't be such a moralist stuck-up.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=10180085#post10180085
He should be infracted too. Who cares if he was playing devil's advocate, being serious, or trolling. Infract him.

Also the people who said strength is an inherited trait. People calling strength a "trait" at all are actually lying cause that's not the correct scientific definition of "trait."

EDIT: who cares if he's lying or not, get over it. Who cares if he's racist, let him have his personal freedom, just like this grandmother and and her grandson. It's not hurting you. And stop trying to impose your morality on others.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
That guy was a blatant troll. If you really can't see that...

Anyway, no more discussion about that in the thread or I'll have to start infracting you too (don't want to do this). If you have a problem with my moderation, use forum support. Back on topic, please.

GOD!

Smash Ace
Nah I was just kidding about all that. Except for the trait part; strength is definitely not a trait.
But for real I thought there were laws against this.

GOD!

Smash Ace
Well, you think they shouldn't, sure. But in a democracy, we have, as de Toqueville says, a tyranny of the majority. If a lot of people think something should be illegal and they have people smart enough to swing it right, then you get a law.

This is a big disadvantage of democracy: when you have government by the people, these people can be racist, sexist morons.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
And yet despite the majority NOT wanting equal rights for women/black people they still got those rights.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Also the people who said strength is an inherited trait. People calling strength a "trait" at all are actually lying cause that's not the correct scientific definition of "trait."
Yeah, actually it is. I think you misunderstand what a "trait" is.

And strength is not an inherited trait, you are correct (though I don't believe I said that anywhere); it's a heritable trait. There's a big difference.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Don't be a drama queen.

He wasn't screaming, he was just posting his opinion. If putting your opinion out there is wrong, all of you shold be locked up. You can't get infracted for lying. And I'm sure some muslims somewhere did marry their cousins. Even if he was trolling, don't be such a moralist stuck-up.

bla bla bla

EDIT: who cares if he's lying or not, get over it. Who cares if he's racist, let him have his personal freedom, just like this grandmother and and her grandson. It's not hurting you. And stop trying to impose your morality on others.
I was only replying to your ******** post in the first place because it was so super PC and "waaa treat the incestuous people fairly" you hypocrite backpedaler.

Smash Master
Fine, we'll use colorblind people breeding as the example of this kind of inconsistency. What about people prone to cancer or with slow metabolisms?

I hate getting bogged down in the details :)

And I don't know for sure, but it seems intuitive that IQ has at least some genetic component. I've been reading and studying and learning crap for years and I feel like the container always stays the same size.

If society thinks it's wrong, then that's society's bad, not the couple's.

D

Deleted member

Heard of a thing called menopause?

66 is an outlier, not the rule, and I would bet a hefty sum of cash that this woman cannot get pregnant.

Even if she could, the physical stress of pregnancy and age do not go well together.
We're living in a society where people are healthier (Unless you count Africa), people live longer, and lives are better. Back in the 18th century, most people died before reaching forty years old. Today, the only two countries that follow this as a rule instead of the exception are Zambia and Zimbabwe (Correct me if I'm wrong) and they are some of the world's poorest nations.

However, this is the United State of America. We are healthier then ever, live until the mid-70s on average, and we live better lives.

What does that do to relate to this? It helps extend the childbearing years of mothers. Sooner or later, depending if fat foods and laziness doesn't drag us down eventually, don't be surprise if people will eventually have a lot longer childbearing years. It won't happen anytime soon, but don't be surprise if people in early 70s eventually start having kids without problems.

GOD!

Smash Ace
Yeah, actually it is. I think you misunderstand what a "trait" is.

And strength is not an inherited trait, you are correct (though I don't believe I said that anywhere); it's a heritable trait. There's a big difference.
No its not. You should take a beginner biology course or something dude cause you're wrong as hell. OR you could go look it up on wikipedia real quick, twist my words and spam some random bull ****, hoping people actually care enough to read it. *******.

In fact your wording is so weird I can't even respond correctly to it. Calling strength a single "trait" is completely false. "Strength" is a measure of exerted force over a period of time... It is determined by cardiovascular system efficiency, size and type of fibers, and neuromuscular response. All together. Two of these have some genetic link, the other is pure training. It's not "determined," it's affected.

I was only replying to your ******** post in the first place because it was so super PC and "waaa treat the incestuous people fairly" you hypocrite backpedaler.
I wasn't even being serious at first. That doesn't make me a hypocrite; a hypocrite doesn't follow their own rules. Even if I had supported (seriously) two different sides that only means I'm confused or a liar. Hypocrisy only takes place when you act against your words. So before you throw out stupid names, use a dictionary.

It wasn't ********. Any law regulating incestuous is kind of ********. So what if the kid is ******** or has family problems, its not for the government to regulate lives. Go be a bigot somewhere else.

EDIT: at Mic_128

There is a school of thought that thinks it is the supreme courts job to drag us into a "better" future. There are good things to this and bad things to this: good, women and blacks get rights. Bad, political process is bypassed and people become unhappy. Because there is so little political involvement in America, the majority of the people don't rule, the majority of the voters do. Even then, its never quite that simple.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
We're living in a society where people are healthier (Unless you count Africa), people live longer, and lives are better. Back in the 18th century, most people died before reaching forty years old. Today, the only two countries that follow this as a rule instead of the exception are Zambia and Zimbabwe (Correct me if I'm wrong) and they are some of the world's poorest nations.

However, this is the United State of America. We are healthier then ever, live until the mid-70s on average, and we live better lives.

What does that do to relate to this? It helps extend the childbearing years of mothers. Sooner or later, depending if fat foods and laziness doesn't drag us down eventually, don't be surprise if people will eventually have a lot longer childbearing years. It won't happen anytime soon, but don't be surprise if people in early 70s eventually start having kids without problems.
People are healthier nowadays, but you're making things up based on your opinion.

The average age of onset of menopause in the United States and UK is 51.

The approximate age of onset of menopause has remained around 50 since medieval times, and it was around 50 in classical Greece. Onset of menopause in women is not being delayed; the difference is that lifespans are increasing, so more women now reach (and live beyond) menopause.

http://www.gfmer.ch/Endo/Lectures_09/menopause.htm
http://www.emedicinehealth.com/menopause/article_em.htm
http://library.med.utah.edu/kw/human_reprod/lectures/pubertal_midlife/
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1670030/?page=1
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/4910710
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/4592487
http://geronj.oxfordjournals.org/content/33/5/688.abstract

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Goldshadow strikes again.

While I do believe having incestuous children is wrong.I don't see a problem with 2 people being together at all,even if they are family.

There are certain exceptions to this though.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
No its not. You should take a beginner biology course or something dude cause you're wrong as hell. OR you could go look it up on wikipedia real quick, twist my words and spam some random bull ****, hoping people actually care enough to read it. Dumb@ss.

In fact your wording is so weird I can't even respond correctly to it. Calling strength a single "trait" is completely false. "Strength" is a measure of exerted force over a period of time... It is determined by cardiovascular system efficiency, size and type of fibers, and neuromuscular response. All together. Two of these have some genetic link, the other is pure training. It's not "determined," it's affected.
He never said it was a genetic trait. If you'd learn to read, you could see that he said it was a "trait." Don't jump to conclusions or call people *******es when you're the one who cannot read.

Marauder

Smash Journeyman
I guess people weren't suspicious at those family dinners when Phil always hugged Grandma Pearl just a little too long..

Octave

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure banging your grandson was looked down upon in 1902 as well.

edit: in the US at least.......I think
Pretty sure it was looked down on way back in Greek mythology. Oedipus killed his father Laius and married his mother Jocasta and when he realizes this he gouges his eyes out.

GOD!

Smash Ace
He never said it was a genetic trait. If you'd learn to read, you could see that he said it was a "trait." Don't jump to conclusions or call people *******es when you're the one who cannot read.
do you know what "heritable" means? Please....

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
No its not. You should take a beginner biology course or something dude cause you're wrong as hell. OR you could go look it up on wikipedia real quick, twist my words and spam some random bull ****, hoping people actually care enough to read it. *******.
Hey, I'm only a biology major that's taken more upper level bio classes than you could possibly fathom, but please, continue to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about.

Where did I say it was "determined" or monogenic? Strength is a measure of a number of things; it is under very complex genetic and environmental control. A "trait" can include such things. For instance, predisposition to lung cancer is a trait. There are many genes that control a person's susceptibility to lung cancer. It is a trait that is generally only phenotypically manifested in people that are heavy smokers; thus, this trait is under complex genetic and environmental control. But it is still a trait. (http://www.pnas.org/content/100/22/12642.full)

A trait doesn't have to be something that's "determined", as you say, but some traits are. Blood type (A, B, AB, O) is a directly inherited trait; the genotype depends on, and entirely controls, the phenotype. Another trait is the ability to curl one's tongue; some people can do it, some can't. It is under simple, monogenic control.

Other traits are much more complex. That doesn't make them "not traits". Things like introversion, memory, quantitative and mathematical ability, spatial ability, verbal reasoning skills, etc are all traits. They are very complex traits. As you might reasonably guess, these are all traits under complex genetic control that are heavily affected by environment, context, and experience. Hell, you told me to go read Wikipedia, so here's a graphic from Wikipedia demonstrating the results of twin studies on the heritability of some of the aforementioned traits:

A person who graduates high school and takes math classes in college will obviously have better quantitative skills than the child of a migrant worker who has had to work all his life and couldn't attend school. That doesn't mean quantitative and mathematical ability "isn't a trait". It means that it is a trait with a complex variety of phenotypes and behavioral expressivities that can be heavily molded by environment.

So how do you measure the "heritability" of traits like mathematical ability and strength? Let's go to Wikipedia again:
"Because of the contextual nature of measured heritabilities, paradoxes often arise. For example, the heritability of a trait could be near 100% in one study and close to zero in another. In one study, e.g., a group of unrelated army recruits may be given identical training and nutrition and then their muscular strength may be measured.

The variation in strength observed after the (identical) training will translate into a high heritability estimate. In another study, whose purpose might be to assess the efficacy of various workout regimes or nutritional programs, study subjects may be first chosen to match each other as closely as possible in prior physical characteristics before some of them are put onto Program A and others onto Program B, and this will lead to a low heritability estimate."

While we're on this topic, we should make sure everybody knows what "heritability" is. Heritability is the amount of variation that can be explained by genetics, not how much of a trait is determined by genetics. In other words, let's say the average height in a population of people is 5' 8", and the heritability of height is 0.6 or 60%. That means that 60% of the variation is due to genetic factors. So if somebody were 5' 3", it means that of the 5" by which they differ from the average of 5' 8", 60% of those inches (3 inches) was because of genetic factors. It does not mean that 60% of a person's height is determined by genetics. This website does a good job of explaining it:
"It is also crucial to remember the definition of heritability. Heritability is the proportion of variation of a trait which can be attributed to genetic factors as opposed to environmental ones. That is, if you are 10 IQ points away from the mean, and heritability is .8 (80%) then 8 points were due to intelligence. Heritability doesn't mean that 80 points of an IQ of 100 are due to genetics, it merely describes the distance away from the mean."
http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/1998-05/896289080.Ge.r.html

Same with strength. Like intelligence and mathematical ability, strength is not a "single" or monogenic or simple trait; there are a lot of factors contributing to and affecting strength. But strength is a trait, and its heritability can be measured.

Studies on heritability of strength and measures of strength include the following:

-Twin study on heritability of walking speed
http://biomedgerontology.oxfordjournals.org/content/61/10/1082.full

-Heritability of body size and muscle strength
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18271028

-Study on the isometric muscle strength in female twins:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12959964

-Genetic influences on grip strength
http://informahealthcare.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/03014469100001722

-Genetic influences on muscle strength, lean body mass and bone muscle density
http://www.twinsuk.ac.uk/Publicatons/1997/Arden.JBMR.pdf

-Upper limit heritability of skeletal muscle strength
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15064427

Perhaps you're the one that should take a "beginner biology course"? Or for that matter, a higher level genetics course.

GOD!

Smash Ace
To everyone who thinks I just got owned: he basically said the same thing I said plus more.. and he still never reneged on calling strength a trait... and wait its not!

But yeah just look at the wall of words that don't address anything I brought against him and be amazed. I'll go read some more of my chemistry and kinesiology books while this guy pulls you unrelated stuff from google.

gm jack

Smash Lord
A much more obvious example of inheriting strength is Belgian Blue cattle. They have two faulty copies of the gene that regulates muscle growth. As a result, their bulls can easily be over a ton.

It is done in animal breeding a lot, where the biggest bulls with the best defined muscles are selected to breed as the offspring as more likely to have lots of muscle. Now, diet and exercise is obviously important, but genetics are a huge part of it.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
To everyone who thinks I just got owned: he basically said the same thing I said plus more.. and he still never reneged on calling strength a trait... and wait its not!

But yeah just look at the wall of words that don't address anything I brought against him and be amazed. I'll go read some more of my chemistry and kinesiology books while this guy pulls you unrelated stuff from google.
hahahahahaha

Top Bottom