• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Discussion & Character Rankings

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Whats wrong with 9 starters exactly?

Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshis Island
Lylat Cruise
Castle Siege
Delphino Plaza
Halberd
Pokemon Stadium

Ice Climbers do not like:
Delphino Plaza
Stadium

They should be capable of winning on every other stage. Those are the only two that would actively interrupt CGs often/without notice.
Hell I saw meep counterpick YI against a meta knight for example.

Castle Siege does not interrupt CGs. Second transformation just means you are getting someone running away from you.
Halberd can interrupt CGs through lasers (well you are given a HELL LONG TIME NOTICE) and the claw. But on the flipside, Upsmash will be killing really low.

ICs being artificially inflated by being given their best stages on a platter for the starter is the fault of rule makers.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
My thoughts on the noteworthy stages (kinda longer than I expected, sorry):

YI is not "that bad" tbh. I can see it being CP'd in some matchups, I can see why Meep CP'd it in that case. But a lot of characters do well against us there too.

Castle Siege is one of our worst stages. First transformation -can- be good if you get lucky on the startspawn. Left side is really dumb for us, Ice Shot does nothing and Blizzard is easy to get around, also the low plat interrupts fullhop blizz if I remember correct. The lip doesn't help either. The right side is okay though. Second transformation: get homosexually camped by everyone and there's nothing you can do about it, also the walls interrupt blizz/iceshot. If they approach here they're doing it wrong no matter what character they are. Third transformation is FD-esque, except with that kind of tilting crap Lylat has that can either help or hinder (most often hinder), and even gayer lips. This one is fairly OK, except it doesn't last that long. Oh yeah, and the stage can teleport Nana to death when it transforms, I have a replay of it if you want to see. So it has ok points, but overall pretty bad.

Halberd. The first part isn't that hot. The dip foils any attempt Ice Shot has at stopping/blocking other (good) projectiles, also we're susceptible to sharking here. Second trans: pretty good, except for the interruptions. Too bad good players will rarely get grabbed, so any reason we need to get rid of them prematurely isn't good news (although it's not -that- bad, really). btw about the low boundaries: imo it's less of a plus for us than for others. Since we usually kill at the end of a CG then we can get them as high as necessary regardless of boundary distance. Whereas others don't get that luxury, so it helps to have good boundaries. Oh, and Halberd happens to be the best stage of our worst matchup. I'm pretty much going to assume they'll go Snake if they choose Halberd and I won't pick it myself for that reason too. This would actually be an "ok" stage if it weren't for snake.

YI is comparatively better than those, but it is in general just a disruptive stage. The tilting plat and the slopes are in general not that hot, hobbling for example is completely foiled and it makes CGs stricter to time, especially on the side. But otherwise it's ok, as I said I can see us doing well against certain characters.

Cruise is actually pretty good. I don't know what other ICs think about it but I actually like it, the tilting lip doesn't really gay us like it does everyone else and the platforms are almost BF-perfect. The tilting can be annoying if you're at the bottom and it kinda foils CGs in the same way YI does but it's not that bad.

So ICs do not like:
Stadium
Delphino
Halberd
Siege
YI (kinda)
4.5-5/9

Boost stages were perfect imo. One was "pretty good" for us and another was excellent, everyone hates YI but as I said it -can- be good. At Boost I can expect to not play on a terrible stage but not be handed my best stage, which was good, we do well on SV but so do a lot of other characters so I wouldn't really call that handing our best stages to us on a platter. Whereas with the MLG list we are more or less guaranteed a bad stage (or at -least- one we could be CP'd to normally), which really hurts because winning game 1 is extremely important for us given the MANY bad stages we have.

The thing about most of these stages is that they're not technically "terrible" but it's just that characters generally do a lot better than us on them or can abuse their designs.

get @ me

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
transformation: get homosexually camped by everyone and there's nothing you can do about it, also the walls interrupt blizz/iceshot. If they approach here they're doing it wrong no matter what character they are.

your honour, the evidence clearly contradicts the witness's testimony.

if one was to also be playing ic's as well, one wouldnt be doing it wrong if one were to approach.

Bsrk_

Smash Ace
I fail to see what is wrong with the 9 starters_? 7 or 9 is a great number that allows 'some' diversity in the final starter choice_ Many of those stages will be purely strike fodder anyways, but leaves it open to a bigger variety than just FD, SV or BF which more than likely will still be played unless favouring particular characters_

Having more starters also means a more interesting tournament_ If you constantly see the same stages and then eventually the same characters it would become boring fast and bye bye league_ Having an odd number of stages also means that players should take turns striking until one stage is left to use as the starter, which i fail to see as being unfair or biased_

MLG does need to change this nonsense though before the tournament_ Some things that Shaya has already mentioned are just ridicolous_ Why haven't they consulted the SBR on the forum they own before making these rules_? Or is this just rubbing **** in our faces after saying they aim to take our community seriously_

Zero

Smash Hero
omg Shaya, a family friend gave me $50 gift voucher for Woolworths group, totally worth buying Soul Silver for another Pokewalker!

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
i think i may prefer the 9 stage starters to the 5/7 set. although i like 3 starters (even the old nsw yi, bf, sv selection) best. i think. need to try this out in a tourney setting.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I didnt update last month for some reason... was only 3 tournaments too.

I have little idea of what tournaments have happened this month / their results.
It seems that its becoming a lot harder to find tournament results when all I see is a title saying tournament this date and then 10 pages of nothing with no results in them.

The only result from this month that I have down is 3stocked from the beginning of the month... Be nice if the TOs passed onto me tournament results/links to the posts... I have all of them on msn :\

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
if the br is planning on changing the recommended starter stages, does that mean we can expect a new tier list soon too?

Alzi

Smash Master
Who cares about Australia and how we do as a country in a video game compared to others. Just care about yourselfs and how you ****.

Zero

Smash Hero
Well I would hope that Australians, competitive video gaming Australians at the very least, would care even the tiniest amount about improving the quality of their scene.

MTGod

Smash Champion
The only result from this month that I have down is 3stocked from the beginning of the month... Be nice if the TOs passed onto me tournament results/links to the posts... I have all of them on msn :\
'Cept me :p MWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Obviously the only way to discover how many stages and what stages should be in the starter list is to try out different combinations at minor tournaments/fest tournaments... From what I gather, there's been very little experimentation with the starter list once a decent one that works is found...

Successive tournaments that I run will be experimenting with this among other innovations that sound interesting... Like the awesome Jigglypuff Minute Madness (high gravity, bunny hood, super speed, damage x2 Jigglypuff Ditto) side tournament that will feature at OID2 :p

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Having only BF, SV and YI as the three starters has proven to be successful at Boosts.
Expanding the stage list from this base is one of my goals to ensuring a balanced and often occuring neutral starter stage for as many of the cast as possible.

tedeth

Smash Master
Yeah I've enjoyed the 3 stages thing. For most of the cast if gives them a stage where they're good, a stage where they're average and a stage they'd prefer not to use in most matchups.

unreon

Smash Ace
Thought it was appropriate to ask this here.

I want to watch some super hyped Brawl set. One where the matches tore the house down.

I heard SamuraiPanda's commentary is awesome, if that is in then it's a double bonus!

Anyone able to help me?

S.D

Smash Master
Thought it was appropriate to ask this here.

I want to watch some super hyped Brawl set. One where the matches tore the house down.

I heard SamuraiPanda's commentary is awesome, if that is in then it's a double bonus!

Anyone able to help me?
Idk anything too recent, maybe Ally M2K at I think Apex?

Or older still Ninjalink vs M2K when finally someone bested him?

tibs7

Smash Champion
Yeah m2k vs nl agessssss ago is quite good

also that tibs guy vs Amaterasu was pretty **** yeahhhh

but yeah not to many like that :S

Vlade

Social Outcast
Idk anything too recent, maybe Ally M2K at I think Apex?

Or older still Ninjalink vs M2K when finally someone bested him?
Yeah ally vs m2k at apex is the pinnacle of hype as far as I know, first match at least. That was INSANE. Almost as hype as melee matches

Top Bottom