• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
How do you ledge tech after a side b against Marth's down tilt? Does it rely on bad timing on the d-tilt to be even possible, or is there something I can do to make it more consistant? Like holding the c-stick towards the stage? I sometimes get it but usually just die..
You can hold in to try to get closer to the wall. But you have the right idea. It really depends on when Marth dtilts you, if he gets you early before you hit the wall you can't tech. If you do hit the wall before they dtilt it's just a matter of timing. Usually if you miss the walltech it's usually because your trying to tech too late.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I was going to say that, KK, but Javi made excellent use of it at Apex. So I'm not so sure....but yeah, SHL is probably best to start off with.
The point of SHDL is to coax them out of specific positions and break stalemates. It wouldn't have mattered if he had SHL'd or SHDL'd against his opponents.

F A N G

Smash Journeyman
Who are some good Fox players to watch? I know there's tons, but anyone else besides:

Mango, Lovage, Chillin, Javi, Jman, Leffen, Unknown?

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
KK, you used to main ICs? And then switched to Sheik?

My respect for you has dropped a little. :(
jk <3

Veetaak

Smash Lord
We all started with a low tier because they are ****ing badass but then you play a while and realize that your character is actually **** and you gradually move up the tier list to find your main

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I think I actually started with Peach/Falco, though. But then I realized that
my
Falco was fairly bad. :p

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
My first char was marth because I think sword fighters are awesome. Then i went to roy cause roy has more power and isnt floaty. Then I played every character in the game cause I thought somehow changing my character would give me better results. Then i spent a lot of time studying and playing the game with good players and actually got decent.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
i started with fox when i first played melee (no knowledge of a scene)..rofl i can still remember my mentality back then. all i knew was full hop nair, and dash attack. everything else i would literally think to myself "WTF else can you do with this damn character?!" U-air was literally impossible to land in my eyes, i always thought it was so good, but never saw how i'd ever land it

then i got aggravated about that and switched to shiek (fair/dashattack over and over and over). noow i'm just such random spacie kid

S1 The God

Feeding the streets since 1885
I've played Fox since I played melee as a party game... Sure, I played some other characters, but pretty much every time I played I used fox.

Used to fly around the stage with Up-B cause it was on fire, therefore it was the best move

Lovage

Smash Hero
random fox thought of the day cuz im hella tired:

i'm gonna start messing around with using doraki's walljump -> bair as an aggressive way to get back on-stage, cuz ledgehop drill sucks and is hella easy to dodge, but a doraki walljump into doublejump bair would cover way more ground and catch ppl off guard

mixups that extend from this: doraki -> shine stall, doraki -> shine turnaround doublejump dair

leffen

Smash Champion
ivp does that sometimes (fd), I've been messing around with it some too.

altho honestly, just wavedashing up and then utilting/shining/bairing/whatever works just as well and is more safe...

Lovage

Smash Hero
yea LOL its gay how good waveland onto the stage is (canada knew before all of us)
canada = unknown and kk
us = me

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
you might want to just shine turn around bair onto stage. I believe wall jump animation cancels the invincibility you have from grabbing the edge, though I could be wrong.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Hey I have a fox question.

You know when you drill a character from the air to the ground, they can act immediately? Particularly against other spacies, when I do say, full jump drills and drill them into the ground, it seems kind of random as to who gets to shine who - sometimes I mash shine and my drillshine connects, and other times they shine as soon as they hit the ground and my combo is over. It's particularly common against Falco where I might FJ drill him during his SHL but then every now and then he shines me as soon as I drill him to the ground.

Example from Lucky vs Westballz: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bulc1i6FEWI#t=9m22s

It seems like, in this particular example, some of the drill hits connected after Westballz was already grounded, making it a "true" drillshine although it seems possible that Wes might have been able to shine between the drill hits?

Anyone know like, how reliable drill -> shine is when the drill carries the opponent from the air to the ground?

Also curious about it vs. Peach because it seems like dsmash is a valid concern sometimes, although I'm not sure if dsmash has too much startup to beat a perfect drillshine.

Need Strong Bad to come in and say frame things.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Lol Kage, Ganon isn't that "weird" in the sense that what works against most good characters, also works against Ganon. You don't need a lot of specific matchup knowledge to fight Ganon, besides knowing Ganon's offensive options and knowing to look out for certain tricks. Whereas characters like Luigi, Pikachu, Samus... are like way different from fighting anyone else in the cast; edgeguarding them is way different, comboing them is way different, etc.

unknown522

Some guy
random fox thought of the day cuz im hella tired:

i'm gonna start messing around with using doraki's walljump -> bair as an aggressive way to get back on-stage, cuz ledgehop drill sucks and is hella easy to dodge, but a doraki walljump into doublejump bair would cover way more ground and catch ppl off guard

mixups that extend from this: doraki -> shine stall, doraki -> shine turnaround doublejump dair
yeah, I do doraki walljump, DJ -> n-air/b-air with pichu/mario sometimes. what's cool with mario is that you can waveland after the b-air (same as doing his SHBAWD. If you've ever heard of that term).

Canada is ahead of the smash curve on some things, but behind on other things.

I wish we had good people that played weird characters.
yeah, Quebec got into PSing stuff way before most players.

Hey I have a fox question.

You know when you drill a character from the air to the ground, they can act immediately? Particularly against other spacies, when I do say, full jump drills and drill them into the ground, it seems kind of random as to who gets to shine who - sometimes I mash shine and my drillshine connects, and other times they shine as soon as they hit the ground and my combo is over. It's particularly common against Falco where I might FJ drill him during his SHL but then every now and then he shines me as soon as I drill him to the ground.

Example from Lucky vs Westballz: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bulc1i6FEWI#t=9m22s

It seems like, in this particular example, some of the drill hits connected after Westballz was already grounded, making it a "true" drillshine although it seems possible that Wes might have been able to shine between the drill hits?

Anyone know like, how reliable drill -> shine is when the drill carries the opponent from the air to the ground?

Also curious about it vs. Peach because it seems like dsmash is a valid concern sometimes, although I'm not sure if dsmash has too much startup to beat a perfect drillshine.

Need Strong Bad to come in and say frame things.
sometimes it will combo, sometimes it won't. I dunno why. If you go to training mode you can combo u-throw -> drill -> shine/u-tilt/u-smash/d-smash/d-tilt/etc sometimes on other spacies.

leffen

Smash Champion
we in europe have been using ledgedash spam for years now (and we also had over +psing, amsah+sheik, peach+armada). Every region lacks something and every region is really good at something (even ****ing mexico is the best at something now) which is one of the reasons I think the smash scene is so **** atm.

also: spacing uair second hit only is not even hard loool (esp on uthrows), people should use it WAYYYY more (falling uair too for killing spacies etc)

oh and for comboing sheik I've started doing weird uairs that work GREAT for me. Basically throw them at low %, FH over them start ur uair just before you start losing height. This causes the first hit will catch them if they jump and if they just fall to the ground (doing nair usually) your second hit will catch them in their landing lag

This isn't foolproof, but its a great set up to try the first time you're throwing a sheik and it covers the 2 most common options almost flawlessly. Oh, and since you'll get them when they have lose jump and still get hit by the uair if they decide to jump, its really easy to ZTD them ;D

another final tip- start using reverse jabs in shield pressure more o_o (and utilting facing towards them). It raaaaaaapes for shield poking (remember, a hit will shield poke if it hits their hurtbox but not their shield). Shield poking is in general really underused, I know armada has some seeeeecret secret tricksies that he won't let me share, but yeah, experiment with it more guys ;o

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
Every region lacks something and every region is really good at something (even ****ing mexico is the best at something now) which is one of the reasons I think the smash scene is so **** atm.
Except the midwest

well we're probably the best at driving to tournaments

aww yeah

Top Bottom