• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
What do people follow up shine oos with? Do you just jump out of the shine and run away or try to wave land out of it and follow it to something?
Depends on a bunch of factors. If the shine knocks your opponent onto a ledge you may want to waveland backwards and wait for a ledgehop attempt. If you shine them while under a platform, you can land on the platform and stalk them from above. You have so many options on the platform stages...but on FD its rather simple. Waveland towards them if it connects and retreat if its blocked. You can obviously deviate from this plan if you're feeling yourself in that particular match.

Only time you should waveland in with the intention of being aggressive is when it actually connects and gives you some hitstun/a knockdown to work with. Otherwise, weigh your options and use common sense. If you're close enough to land on top of them with shield pressure after the shine oos, you could do that too. I'm sure you'll figure it out.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
use what is comfortable to you when jumpiing. I use control stick but it depends.

The claw method is used by a number of known players such as Javi and M2k. it hurts your fingers buts well worth it.
it only hurts your fingers for a couple weeks, then you get used to it.

Thanos828

Smash Journeyman
Short hopping with fox is less about how fast you press the button and more about how fast you let the button go, I think. Other than that it's all just practice. Eventually you end up somewhat feeling the way you should press whatever button you use - I can usually tell if I short hopped or not without looking.

I never really short hop with the control stick unless I'm lazy and use it for SHDL. I've tried it for shield pressure but it feels really weird (short hopping and fast falling with the control stick is kind of difficult to do, IMO).

I don't use a claw but I can imagine short hopping with a claw would involve more of a sliding motion with the index finger on Y (anyone who actually uses a claw can correct me on this otherwise).

I use X for wavedashing (unless it's WD OoS, then I use R+Cstick up)

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
yeah with the claw you kinda tap the corner of the button and slide off it real quick. way less demanding than regular grip imo

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
I'll try doing a slide, since I honestly don't think I can get my finger to let go of the button any more quickly.

When people claw, do the put their thumb on the c-stick, one finger on Y, and one on R? Or do also put a finger on B?

Thanos828

Smash Journeyman
I'll try doing a slide, since I honestly don't think I can get my finger to let go of the button any more quickly.

When people claw, do the put their thumb on the c-stick, one finger on Y, and one on R? Or do also put a finger on B?
I believe Javi has an extra finger for B/buttons that aren't jump. A two finger claw is usually one (index) finger for ABXY and thumb for the C Stick. Fingers for Z may vary, I figure it would either include using the middle finger or abandoning the claw during grabs.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
What do people follow up shine oos with? Do you just jump out of the shine and run away or try to wave land out of it and follow it to something?
If they grab the edge: Get good onstage positioning.

If they don't grab the edge: Grab if they block, Up smash if they don't block.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Unknown522 why do you say it's easier to edgeguard Marth in PAL? How is it any different?

Also Raynex it would've been dope to have you at apex, your canadian brethren are dope :D

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Shine sends them further so shine is basically instant death even if they have a DJ.

Zoler

Smash Ace
That's because of Marths weight I guess. I didn't notice any difference though, can't be that huge right?

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Unknown522 why do you say it's easier to edgeguard Marth in PAL? How is it any different?

Also Raynex it would've been dope to have you at apex, your canadian brethren are dope :D
Yeah, I'm surrounded by a pretty awesome group of smashers. Maybe we'll catch each other at the next major?

Marth falls down from Fox's shine in PAL, so I'm pretty sure shining him while he's close to the edge = an easier edge-guard than in NTSC. Also, shine spike kills are more or less guaranteed after you hit one shine offstage. No miraculous barely-made-it up+Bs due to the trajectory and knockback.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
You shouldn't think of the matchup as trying to catch him, but rather trying to box him in or shut him out (depending on your style).

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Fox is fast but he can't run away forever. Once runs out of space DDing, wall his *** and watch for/punish any escape attempts. The minute you give him back neutral footing is when you've lost your advantage. Make sure you get at least some damage on him whenever you push him to the edge of a stage. Alternatively, like Toph said, you could just run defense right off the bat and never chase him. The latter is better suited for aggressive Foxes, while the former for defensive ones.

leffen

Smash Champion
Marth is MUCH easier to fight in NTSC and he's easier to gimp... You can just hog the stage and tech the shine in Pal. Marth also has higher air speed in NTSC which helps him a lot when he side b's

Whatever, I don't cba to explain

unknown522

Some guy

hmm, should've said it's easier to set up edgeguards. Cuz the shine knocks him down. If he camps the edge trying to fish for a gimp and gets shined, he's more susceptible to gimps because he gets knocked down and probably won't grab the edge.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
oh. mmm

Man if I go to Smashers Reunion this summer I might have to practice PAL lol.

Actually the only thing I had a hard time getting used to when I played PAL with Zoler @ Genesis 2 was Fox's shorter up-B >.> the usmash didn't bother me too much.

unknown522

Some guy
Marth is MUCH easier to fight in NTSC and he's easier to gimp... You can just hog the stage and tech the shine in Pal. Marth also has higher air speed in NTSC which helps him a lot when he side b's

Whatever, I don't cba to explain
yeah, that makes sense. I had some wrong wording when I posted

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
If Marth hugs the sides of a level and techs the shine in PAL, Fox can grab it before he does right? One more shine and its GG

I've only played PAL a few times, and each experience happened many many years ago. It might be useful to run PAL friendlies and see what Europe has to deal with.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
If marth techs the shine he can upb immediately to hit fox, do the walljump version with an immediate bair (which can regrab the edge after if done ASAP), or simply fall and sweetspot. While its still a grim situation, it adds complexity and mixups to the edgeguard that otherwise aren't in the NTSC version.

Metakill

Smash Journeyman
Fox mainers and 2nd, pocket and people who love Fox.

I can SHDL but only after a shine, i can't get the timing for short hopping with the stick without doing a shine. And I can't use button jump to DL because I use X for jump and I find that too hard.
Can someone give me how can I practice that timing or how is easily to do it?

Another thing is about Shield pressure, Like that^ .. I can Shine + SH Nair but when i'm against a shield or someone, I find that hard (using stick too), I know that when you hit the shine hitlag is more (?) or something like that, how I need to do the SH, more quickly or more slow?

Meh, hope someone can help me, I can't practice with someone, only CPU... So that's why I'm trying to get better in technical skill.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I was going to say that, KK, but Javi made excellent use of it at Apex. So I'm not so sure....but yeah, SHL is probably best to start off with.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
I don't know off the top of my head but shield stun is directly correlated to damage so you can test this yourself by checking the % damage that Fox's/Falco's nairs do.

Ltax

Smash Cadet
How do you ledge tech after a side b against Marth's down tilt? Does it rely on bad timing on the d-tilt to be even possible, or is there something I can do to make it more consistant? Like holding the c-stick towards the stage? I sometimes get it but usually just die..

Top Bottom