• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Zoler

Smash Ace
omfg this tourney was so ****en ****!!1

Shoutouts to Lovage and s2j for being Starcraft homies :D
Silent wolf: I didnt get to play you sadface
Westballz rapessssss, you should come to smashers reunion, im definitely housing u man :D
Eggz: WHY ARE U SO **** MAN, next tourney we def gotta get drunk
Toph: loved chilling with you and thanks man, just wait until the next time ;D
Nagace: it was fun playing u too dude, pretty good peach, cya the next time!

Zoler

Smash Ace
omg sorry KK at first I thought to only make it to fox mains but then some people slipped in.

KK <3333 cya next time ur too awesome :DDD

Thanos828

Smash Journeyman
Same here, really wish I could have been there and seen all you guys. Especially wish I could have met our new Mexican overlord.

Apex 2012 - Revival of Fox?

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
i dunno about everyone else but i'm about to put HELLA work into building my game up from now on. we're having a sick regional tournament in washington at the end of march and i'm trying to really perform well at that

this is completely irrelevant to javi or whatever but i really feel like fox definitely has an answer to everything and every character and i want to exemplify that

unknown522

Some guy
I'm not a fox main to zoler :(

jk. You're a cool dude.

Also, Raynex says hi to the boards. We're gonna have a training session soon. Watching the APEX really made him miss the game.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I think aerial shine to counter Falco's attack should be used more, because it guarantees you to have a knockdown and you know how good that is for Fox.. if you can get that more often to disrupt Falco then that sounds pretty amazing. Javi was definitely abusing that.

Thanos828

Smash Journeyman
I think aerial shine to counter Falco's attack should be used more, because it guarantees you to have a knockdown and you know how good that is for Fox.. if you can get that more often to disrupt Falco then that sounds pretty amazing. Javi was definitely abusing that.
Yeah, Javi was using a lot of aerial shines out of shield to disrupt PP's shield pressure.

I assume you have to time it right to out prioritize the dair.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Not really the timing as opposed to where you hit Falco to counter his hitbox. I mean if he dairs then you can probably shine him on top of the dair so it doesn't hit you. I guess it's a mix of spacing and timing ya.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
That's actually really smart kage, I'm gonna watch that set again and look for javi's use of it.

I know PP uses aerial shines against fox (and other chars) to start combos so it only makes sense to do the same thing AS fox.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Well ya if you can force a knockdown everytime with that then that's one happy Fox.. techchasing with Fox is relatively easy and rewarding. I mean easy as in he can cover options really well.

Though I'm guessing that may only work in Fox dittos, Falco and Falcon.. because they'll fall flat on the ground and even if they tech you can still chase them.

unknown522

Some guy
wait, you guys are saying you haven't thought of this before?

I've seen SW do it for years vs spacies.

I also did it vs Javi in pools (and friendlies), but he would tech away every time I hit with the shine, and I couldn't tech chase it because I jumped doing the shine.

Oh yeah, vs Stric9 too, but he teched it sometimes and the same thing happened (he missed the tech a few times though).

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Uhh.. I don't remember seeing this happen very often for years actually.. it's underused completely.

Ryan then I'm sure you can find a spacing where you can use it better, don't jump too high with the shine.

unknown522

Some guy
I could get the tech chase if I came in with a dash-cancel -> shine, but if I jump in with the shine, then I can't get the tech chase because I have to land/waveland onto a platform.

Though with that said, it's still really good. Knocking them down and disrupting whatever they were doing can still give you positional advantages and put pressure on them since it allows you to get closer to them. Also pushing them closer to the edge is a nice bonus as well.

But yeah, I'll see if I can find some of SW's old matches. cuz I know I've seen him do it a lot and also post about it as well.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Unknown, you don't necessarily get a tech chase, but usually the opponent misses the tech on aerial shines (they're really non-telegraphed, and well, shines are fast) and gets a hard knockdown. Then they either roll or getup attack and you can often make it in time to punish THAT.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
you fox mains

are ****ing
retardedly
amazing

yo.

falco mains aint got nothin on u
except westballz
hes nice

i shouldve gotten wasted with you guys during saturday/sunday

sorry ;(
Yeah you should of, Amsah showed up just to make sure alcohol was being consumed then left. :( Fun friendlies at Apex bro.

I need to learn to work on my defensive game :( I've been approaching all my life and honestly whenever i try to play defensive/tack on damage i end up getting *****. I just feel like when i rush down people i can open more options for myself. When i played kage first round i just didn't have my normal fox speed, i tried to make up for it by playing defensively but he kept punching me in the face LOL I'm so salty after apex. Not because of who i lost too, more so because i'll have to wait a long time to try to prove myself again x_x Anyway, good seeing all you sexy mofos, BACK TO THE LAB
You also have the worst edgeguards in the world. And I've told you this before LOL. Just give yourself KDJ's edgeguards and *** defense bro. You'll be number 1.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
The shine knock down that Kage was talking about is an interesting topic. I did this a couple times with my set vs Chillin. Wish they recorded it. When Chillin was pressuring my shield, he jumped ( going for falling uair then I jumped oos then shined him. He then landed near the edge and I got an easy gimp afterwards. This happened on FOD (game 2) which has possibly the least space out of all the neutral stages so it was easy to knock back to/near the edge for easy gimps.

This is also important because against spacies (mostly fox dittos) first fox that jumps loses by a shine gimp.

Javi used this a lot in the set vs pp. But man.... Javi is too good. He ***** me all day Day 2 at Apex lol.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Though it's possible to defend yourself against double shine, if you CCed the first one, then I don't think you'll go very far if the 2nd hits. I've seen Mango go nowhere after getting double shined.

Zoler

Smash Ace
Oh, crap I suck :( sorry, Unknown!! you're really awesome :D I wish we got to play, damn crews

doubleshines and techchasing with shines is ****. I was playing some with shines after seeing javi doing it and damn so good :D mostly against falco ofc

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Yeah, the possibilities that don't involve waveshine combos <_<
The match-up would be much worse if Fox didn't have guaranteed combos after stray dairs and shines. It's like we've wandered into one of my smash nightmares.

I also had one about Falco + Fox's shine trajectory. KK and I once spent some time going over the combos that would be possible. Oh lawd..

edit: Congrats to Javi/My Lovage/Unknown, you guys repped hard. As a spectator I was not disappointed. I had an awesome time watching Javi infiltrate top 5, defeating Hax and PP along the way. Here's hoping the New Year will bring many more opportunities for hard-working Fox players to shine. (pun intended)

Top Bottom