• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Javi is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good. And his claw (or whatever it is) is insanely unique.

And Leffen *****, too. He's so technical...

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Is there a thread which compiles a lot of simple Fox combos and basically at what percent they work?
Most specifically U-throw combo's etc. My friend needs help with that and I know that lists of combo's work well.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
Is there a thread which compiles a lot of simple Fox combos and basically at what percent they work?
Most specifically U-throw combo's etc. My friend needs help with that and I know that lists of combo's work well.
uh. no. but i can give you a quick starting-point.
Fast Fallers:
---
against fox/falco: uthrow->usmash at low percents (until like 20-30?). if they full DI you generally have to tech chase; against slight DI you can still usmash. You can also uthrow->shine on no/slight DI and then WD out and try to techchase them. If they're near the edge uthrow doubleshine tends to kill more or less immediately.
After that it breaks down:
Fox/Falco:
on FD you can chaingrab for a while. On no DI you have to utilt instead of regrabbing around 60%. On full DI you can regrab for like a million years but around 90 you want to run over the way they DI'd and charge usmash and kill them. Watch Colbol for amazing implementations of what to do on various DIs on FD.
CF:
basically you want to uthrow->nair. On no DI sometimes it's better to utilt but you can follow him with a nair for a long time. At higher %s you want to uair or bair depending on what you feel comfortable landing. On platform stages you can often get something like uthrow -> uair (land on side platform) -> uair again, maybe bair him off, whatever suits the occasion.

Floaties:
A lot of floaty players have gotten really good at SDI-ing out of uair. so if you notice your opponent is good at this try either hitting with just the second hit of the uair (pretty hard) or using bair/nair (pretty easy but less rewarding).
---
Samus: Uthrow doesn't combo. it puts her in a ****ty space though. i like to uthrow samus and see what she does and then next time (or that time if it's bad) punish it. for example one of my friends used to always nair out thinking i was going to try to uair, so i would uthrow -> shield -> usmash OoS. Luigi, Doc, probably others are similar in this way.

Jiggs: uthrow-uair true combos until 111%. I give up trying to get it around 90, because the timing gets insanely tight, but it kills by then anyway. If she survives to this point and doesn't die, you can try dthrow (i think fox can combo dthrow-> usmash on any DI/tech combination but it's pretty hard) or bthrow or fthrow or whatever you feel like.

Peach: uthrow-uair works to well after her kill %, i dont know the number, but it's high.

Marth: uthrow-uair is your bread and butter in this matchup. much like cfal, a lowish % uthrow can lead to several uairs if you get lucky and execute well.

Sheik: there's been a lot written about this. At 0% you can uthrow usmash at no DI, uthrow nair on forward DI, something else at backward DI, i forget. as she goes up in % you'll find yourself either uairing her if she doesnt DI or doing things like running bair/nairs sometimes. I dont know about other people but uthrow combos are harder on sheik than most characters for me.

umm so that turned into a lot more information than I set out to write. hope it helps!

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Javi is my new hero, Mango is still a good guy, Hbox is the cancer that is killing melee and that ****** ruined the WHOLE tournament.

Javi vs Mango would've happened.
Mango wouldn't knocked out by that ******.
Grand finals would actually be hype. Goddamn.

G

genkaku

I missed the stream. How did mango lose to armada and hbox? Was he playing falcon or something?

About to go into a pride match with my marth main friend. Fox is new to me and I generally play him more aggressive than I should, so I'm getting hit by a lot more utilts and random fsmashes than I should. Other than baiting uthrow uairs, is there anything crucial or really helpful to the matchup? Any specific vids I should watch to learn spacing stuff?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Chillindude still got it. Beating Jman and Kage is no easy feat.

Chillin you were like always my favorite fox, i remember the one time i had the courage to talk to you was at FCD right after you lost to drephen i think. I waited a minute then was like "hey do you want to play a friendly" and you said no and walked away... T_T

Javi was ****ing awesome, i missed his set with PP on stream (dinner), but he did really good overall. Lovage apparently did pretty good too, putting Javi into losers as well as Druggedfox and Chillin (he lost to Javi in losers tho).

mers

Smash Ace
Javi v. Mango did happen, they did a quick friendly before LFs.

I just came in here to say that Javi is a ****ing boss. Seriously, he's too good. Just wait for his vids, especially vs. PP.

New favorite smasher. No doubt in my mind.

foshio

Smash Journeyman
Hello. I am a noob and want to get better this is my question.
What do people usually follow up shines (against light characters ie fox, falco, puff etc) with? I usually wait till they start to get up and go for grabs but I know there are more dynamic strategies. Thanks

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
Best tournament ever. mango was teching javis double shines.....melee reached a new level of play with that set. javi is so chill. he wasnt even practicing or anything before his top 8 matches. javi ****ed up pp....he plays as fluid as mangos fox....mexico is sooooo legit.

:phone:

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
haha im sorry i rarely want to play friendlies after losing in tourney even tho thats when i should be playing them
yeah i figured. Afterwards i was like "yeah that probably wasn't the best time..." but i never got around to playing you again.

Anyways, good **** at APEX ^^

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
I have a video Javi vs Hax. Im uploading it right now. It's just from a digital camera. And I can't hear the audio right now....and im probably talking and being annoying in it lol. But you can see Javi **** :D

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
i think javi was the best player in the world, for a long long time... and we just never knew about it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_4v5wRKhro

compare his skill in 06 with american players from 06.

its a pity he never came to the U.S. to blow us all away during the MLG days.
these are the exact kind of videos that were shot down for years and years prior to javi coming here.

i've been obsessed over the twins for awhile, but everyone just basically said it was techskill only

PB&J

Smash Hero
Wish i could of played way more friendlies,but i was selling stuff. good stuff seeing you guys there. Javi was just as good as i wanted him to be,leffen was too. can't wait for my set with me and soft vs Javi & Hugs gets uploaded and awhole bunch of crazy vids like Javi vs KDJ. there is one match on yoshi's that i have to keep watching over and over

I know M2k and Armada respect Javi alot,from there own lips

S l o X

Smash Champion
leffen is pretty good. i think his best matchup is easily vs. sheik and he played terribly vs. teczero. (he was missing things he can do in his sleep) wish the set went to 3rd game.

after playing so many fox dittos with cyrain and leffen, i'm probably maining fox. he's just too fun / good.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I'm not necessarily sure if javi is the furthest in the fox metagame as some people say. Theres a lot to be said about mindset. Confidence and the desire to win to the point where you expect to win are something that only come from being number 1 for a long time. Its something he has that only a few people in the world can possibly have.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
Everyone welcome our new Mexican overlord.

Also, everyone is forgetitng Unknown522. My dude ran a tear through losers bracket and iirc is the second highest placing fox after Javi. get at my n!gga

edit: lovage and unknown both got 9th. tight.

Thanos828

Smash Journeyman
Seriously.

Also, can we universally agree that Javi's Fox is now called Speedy Gonzales? A small, very fast, Mexican rodent? It's too perfect to pass up.
Yes. So much yes.

Javi inspired me to play Fox again. I was getting a little down due to the fact that no Fox has really ever been one of the best (with the exception of Mango, I guess), and that Falco or a floatie was the realistic way to go. Once I saw Javi I knew it could be done.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
i am prepared to publicly eat any provided hats in regards to my long-held, vehemently-stated and clearly absolutely wrong views about Javi. his fox was awesome.

Brookman

Smash Hero
leffen is pretty good. i think his best matchup is easily vs. sheik and he played terribly ero. (he was missing things he can do in his sleep) wish the set went to 3rd game.

after playing so many fox dittos with cyrain and leffen, i'm probably maining fox. he's just too fun / good.
Should have picked him up after we played

:phone:

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Apex 2012 best three days of my life. Got a lot experience from woobles and shiz. Me and Shiz warmed up Javi for PP. that set was like Gohan vs Cell.

Top Bottom