• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
How do you DI against DK?

Also I was thinking about stages with platforms. DK's uairing you from below seems better than the stuff Pikachu has when you land on platforms.
Ok since Strong Bad is a ****, make an alt account, pretend to main DK and tell them you have problems with Fox and specifically his DI on U-throw U-air combos. Ask what you should do for each option and BAM.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I think its DIing in front of him that gives you a little more distance and helps escape his combos. Combined with the fact that both uair and fair swing from behind first and don't cover as much space in front of him.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
my main training partner and teammate went through a phase of "maining" DK. I got the best results for hard DI forward on his upair.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Yea D.K start up frame animation starts when pulling his head back. Just watch out for fd. Lol.

:phone:

unknown522

Some guy
Welp. I'm completely screwed for APEX and possibly my smash career again.

So after I replaced my broken controller a few weeks ago, someone either lost or stole my controller at KK's house. I honestly don't even want to go anymore because of this.

I can't get used to a controller in the next 4-5 days, especially since almost all the ones around me are pretty bad.

WHA?

Smash Ace
Hey guys i got another controller related question (mainly cause cactuar/lovage come here)
Alright, you know how the control stick has like half a sphere attached to it???
i was thinking what would happen if i sand than down to basically get rid of it????
does it even serve a purpose????
i was gonna do it, but i thought maybe u guys may have done it already......... well lemme know

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Hey guys i got another controller related question (mainly cause cactuar/lovage come here)
Alright, you know how the control stick has like half a sphere attached to it???
i was thinking what would happen if i sand than down to basically get rid of it????
does it even serve a purpose????
i was gonna do it, but i thought maybe u guys may have done it already......... well lemme know
It would soften your stick and produce faster movement in tech skill.

Cyrain

Smash Ace
I pretty much haven't gotten to touch Melee in a month. =( So gay. Unknown, I have a spare controller you might be interested. Pretty loose/worn in control stick and the Y/R buttons are both broken in quite well. Not sure what you use though.

Cyrain

Smash Ace
As a Fox main I can totally understand why it would make him not want to play at all. The day that my PERFECT controller got ruined I wanted to retire forever. I still don't have a great controller. **** is ghey.

yea me too. sitting thru genesis 1 for 3 days not being able to play after having no nationals for a while was soooo lame. def dont retire cuz of that tho lol. breaking in a new controller is a lot easier than it seems at first

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer

So after I replaced my broken controller a few weeks ago, someone either lost or stole my controller at KK's house. I honestly don't even want to go anymore because of this.

I can't get used to a controller in the next 4-5 days, especially since almost all the ones around me are pretty bad.
Ryan I have a really good spare (extremely loose but sensitive stick) if you want to try it out on Friday. It's def hard to get used to a new controller tho.

Doser

Smash Ace

How do you lose a controller at someone's house and not notice before you/other people leave?

unknown522

Some guy
Only option is to play smash in every free moment you have.
that was the plan. See below though.

Couldn't you just put in some hella intense tech skill sessions with a new controller?
that was gonna be my only option. See below though

I pretty much haven't gotten to touch Melee in a month. =( So gay. Unknown, I have a spare controller you might be interested. Pretty loose/worn in control stick and the Y/R buttons are both broken in quite well. Not sure what you use though.
Unknown- thats pretty gay,but if You dont like Cyrain's controller i have this New Purple one you can try out too

As a Fox main I can totally understand why it would make him not want to play at all. The day that my PERFECT controller got ruined I wanted to retire forever. I still don't have a great controller. **** is ghey.
yea me too. sitting thru genesis 1 for 3 days not being able to play after having no nationals for a while was soooo lame. def dont retire cuz of that tho lol. breaking in a new controller is a lot easier than it seems at first
Ryan I have a really good spare (extremely loose but sensitive stick) if you want to try it out on Friday. It's def hard to get used to a new controller tho.
easy to say when you main Ganon LOLOLOL

*cough*

don't worry unknown i gotchu >_>;
Wow, I'm touched. Thanks for the support and the offers for the spare controllers. <3 Fox boards.

But yeah, fortunately the controller wasn't actually taken. I.B. mistook it for his, though he was pretty adamant that it wasn't mine. But mine has a small blue mark on the left handle of the controller, so I happened to look at it while he wasn't using it. In turn, I had his (which is actually a controller that I gave him a while ago).

In the end, I got pretty lucky there. I'm putting tape on it now so that it'll be easier for others to notice that it's mine.

So yeah, I'm gonna put my nose back to the grind once everyone here wakes up (or if I.B. arrives first).

How do you lose a controller at someone's house and not notice before you/other people leave?
I've been at his house for 5 days.

In the next 4-5 days? It's pretty easy to get used, imo. It's not that hard.
If I had a new controller for that amount of time, then I would agree. But an already used controller, it takes me weeks to get used to some of them. Unless they're really good. Some I can just pick up and use right away, but many others I can't.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
As Fox, if DK goes for uthrow uair regrabs or even repeated uairs early, you can SDI down and away and escape. I get this pretty consistently against DK and Mewtwo. Very important for escaping the standard M2 uthrow claw or doubleclaw regrab.

PB&J

Smash Hero
Im pretty sure they are going to switch my pool, but just in case they dont. I need the best advice to fighting samus. If you can be detailed that can be great. I am housing with three samus' so i can actually practice everything you guys write. And thanks in advance too

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Simalar to what PB&J said. i have a ice climber in my pool.

Anyone knows the match up (in terms of combos)?

I would really appriciate it. :)
@cactus. Didnt know that about d.k. thanks.

PB&J

Smash Hero
I have some basic advice for you against icy's. Bair, late nairs,f throw immediatly but dont force the grab and up tilt is amazing against them too. Since i play icys,you can find me and i can show you what i mean,i think you just need to play icys to know how to play them because their sheilds are good for them

unknown522

Some guy
lovage would probably be good for advice vs those chars.

vs Samus, you can punish most of her grounded moves, especially if they don't space well (d-smash, f-tilt, f-smash, d-tilt, jab). Some of these are susceptible to WD oos -> shine, or even d-air oos. Don't try to do extended pressure into her shield and space enough so that you don't get hit by that up-b oos. Don't recklessly spam n-air/b-air since she can CC -> punish you for a long time due to her heavy weight. Platforms are good in this matchup as well. If you can try to make them jump after you, then she's a sitting duck in the air. Just keep calm and don't fall for random gimmicks. If they try camping, then use lasers to see if you can make them approach. Don't go crazy though and make sure you don't get hit by missiles while doing this.

Don't be afraid to shield, cuz she can't do much in terms of pressure or getting through it. Still, watch out for grab. Though it's slow, it can still be used.

Waveshine -> u-smash. Then try to see if you can get u-air in or something. Running shine has its uses too. Like try to catch them when they're moving around. It also serves for a great check on her shield.

I recommend grabbing a lot, since most samus will shield a lot. If grab them near the edge, it should be in your best interest to throw them off the level (especially f-throw). If you land a grab on other parts of the stage, KK recommends b-throw cuz if they DI in, you can throw them to a platform, but if they DI away, they may go off the stage which sets up for potential edgeguards.

vs. ICs shine them a lot and target nana always. Then fight Popo like a bad luigi. Platforms are your friend. When you see them WD towards you for an approach, a lot of times it is good to jump to a platform and try to make them jump. Beware of them doing u-air directly below you, cuz you may get knocked down and/or potentially combo'd. If you can make them miss moves in the air as you jump around them with or without the aid of a platform, they are pretty vulnerable even though they have disjointed hitboxes. There are simple ways to space around their moves, and it can get you a big payoff as well. Coming down with b-air is pretty good.

In terms of combos, honesty just spam n-air/u-air when they're in the air and try not to let them touch the ground.

Quick Kills on nana are key, but don't expect it to be super easy if they're good players. One suggestion is to shine them and either one of two things will happen:
- they split up
- they go the same direction

If they split up you should target nana and try to gimp her since she's a CPU.
If they go the same direction, either they may be shined far enough for one of them to be forced to grab the ledge. Since only one of them can hold the ledge, shine spike the one that doesn't get the ledge (usually nana in my experience, but not always). You may have to still do a little more edgeguarding when Popo tries to save Nana.

I also can't stress this enough, but watch out for nana BS while fighting them. It can really be a game-breaking catastrophe if something stupid happens because of nana.

Those are the 2 characters I hate playing vs the most. They're just so boring. I'm not bad at the matchups, but I don't have fun with them at all. Vs samus though, I just go sheik. It makes it go faster cuz of the large reward for grabs.

Top Bottom