• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
Currently i do not have a crt set up and was wondering is it possible to multishine on a hd tv cuz i heard they lag a bit and was wondering if that lag could be too much for fox to be able to multishine
I mean you can still do whatever tech skill it's just not recommended cause for many techniques the timing/cues will change based on input lag

StrayDog

Smash Rookie
Why do I have trouble waveshining backwards but no trouble waveshining forwards? Is there actually a difference?
yes there is, turnaround in shine takes a certain amount of time (I think it's 6 frames.) If you are waveshining forwards by doing [down B > moving the grey stick to wavedash position > jump > R] then that will fail if you try to do the same motion for waveshining backwards because you will get the shine turnaround animation which will eat your jump and cause you to get stuck in shine. You can either do a shine turnaround wavedash (which requires you to wait the extra 6 frames before pressing jump) or you can press jump before you move the grey stick (which requires you to move the grey stick to the wavedash position within the 2 frames of jump squat.) waveshining backwards is the infinitely swaggier option.

Fight for Piece

Smash Rookie
Thanks bud. And one more question for Fox whores.

Is doing a nair into shine safe from shield grabs? I'm talking about the enemy grabbing after the nair and before the shine? Or do you have to delay the nair just a little bit when trying to play around shield grabs? I notice if someone is blocking and i nair their head I get grabbed. But if I nair at around their stomach area I can go into shine without getting grab. Am I just not being frame perfect or is this how it just is?

Last edited:

StrayDog

Smash Rookie
Thanks bud. And one more question for Fox whores.

Is doing a nair into shine safe from shield grabs? I'm talking about the enemy grabbing after the nair and before the shine? Or do you have to delay the nair just a little bit when trying to play around shield grabs? I notice if someone is blocking and i nair their head I get grabbed. But if I nair at around their stomach area I can go into shine without getting grab. Am I just not being frame perfect or is this how it just is?
yeah if you do a really early nair and hit their shield high they will be able to shield grab you. the more frame perfect you get (especially with your fast fall timing and how early you do shine after your landing lag happens) the more allowance you will have to avoid getting shield grabbed. the deeper you hit on their shield the safer you will be, but it's pretty damn safe if you fast fall at the earliest possible frame and shine on the earliest possible frame as long as you hit their shield during any time you could fast fall (any time after the apex of your jump.)

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
Which button do you use for the quickest SHFFL Nair? I use A but I've heard others use Z. Which do you prefer and why?

Uzzi

Smash Cadet
Which button do you use for the quickest SHFFL Nair? I use A but I've heard others use Z. Which do you prefer and why?
I use A, but im definitely not doing it as fast as possible. It doesnt feel right for me to do a jump cancel grab, and nair with the same buttons, but one or more frames different. I like keeping the Y to Z motion only for jc grab so I only need to know one timing for those muscles. Doing that same motion but delaying it makes me think it will make inconsistencies, but i could be totally wrong because people have the timings down for multiple wavedash timings. I guess its all personal preference.

However I do think its easier to do a nair asap with 2 separate fingers, if you want instant nairs.

Ozurip

Smash Rookie
Is there any sort of flowchart type thing regarding comboing Falco?

Don't really need any matchup tips or anything, I'm looking on stuff about maximizing punishes on Falco.

Rigel_cp

Smash Rookie
Is there any sort of flowchart type thing regarding comboing Falco?

Don't really need any matchup tips or anything, I'm looking on stuff about maximizing punishes on Falco.
Grabs is the way to go. You can chain grab him to follow up with nair to a tech chase situation, or up air if he lands on platform. or waveland on platform to regrab if you know they will tech.

Last edited:

Sonic94

Smash Apprentice
How can I actually USE waveshines (and other tech) consistantly? I think my speed has always been a lot better than my rythm. I can waveshine pretty well when I am just using it like a wavedash but when I hit an opponent I always try to do it too fast and end up doing the WD during the hit lag which causes me to just do a normal shine instead of a waveshine. This is really annoying because my instinct when I am in a tight situation or when something isn't working is always to do it faster. When I try to do it slower my wavedash also gets slower and I end up doing a worse wavedash or even just airdodging above the ground. This basically forces me to think of the wavedash and the shine as two separate actions. Which seems impossible to me since they have to be in such quick succession. When I try to do the wavedash as a separate action the opponent can just hit me out of the shine. The problem is that it's hard to force myself to do something slower than I want to and then immediately do something fast. I've had people recommend focusing on just grinding out one tech at a time, but the more I try to focus on just doing one thing over and over the worse I get at it. I don't think it's because my hands are tired. Its like I just forget how to do it properly. The best way I can explain it is like trying to say the same word over and over again until the sounds of it don't make sense anymore and you can't even pronounce it right.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
how do I beat fox effectivley?
You can:

1) Work on combo game against Fox. He is a fastfaller, so he is susceptible to that.
2) Work on edge guarding game against Fox. He has a rather linear recovery, as lengthy as it travels. He also falls very quickly off stage. This is where a lot of characters like Marth, Shiek, and Pikachu go to net stocks.
3) Work on chain grabs. Fox is one of the easier characters to chain grab because of his well, fall speed and weight. I believe Ganondorf himself has a DThrow chain grab on Fox. You should look into it. My main also has two, and my character would get destroyed if I could not get the chain grab going.

Last edited:

CbM_

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1723-7582-5511
Can someone tell me on which characters at which percents upthrow upair works? thanks in advance

CbM_

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1723-7582-5511
can someone help me? i cant edgeguard peach cuz her upb has hitboxes (yk what i mean)... how do you play around that? (sry i am 5 months in)

Papermario4643

Smash Rookie

I'm tired of seeing so many threads asking questions that have been answered over and over again, and are obvious to the average smasher. I figure this will stop at least some of those from popping up.

Post asking anything you want about Fox that you're not sure about or just don't know. I will answer your question within the day, and if anyone else wants to answer before I can, go for it, and false information given will be corrected.

Also it wouldn't hurt to check this thread, or others before asking but, it really won't matter much.

Ask away.
HYAAAA!

BIG D Was Taken

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
BIGD#791
How can I actually USE waveshines (and other tech) consistantly? I think my speed has always been a lot better than my rythm. I can waveshine pretty well when I am just using it like a wavedash but when I hit an opponent I always try to do it too fast and end up doing the WD during the hit lag which causes me to just do a normal shine instead of a waveshine. This is really annoying because my instinct when I am in a tight situation or when something isn't working is always to do it faster. When I try to do it slower my wavedash also gets slower and I end up doing a worse wavedash or even just airdodging above the ground. This basically forces me to think of the wavedash and the shine as two separate actions. Which seems impossible to me since they have to be in such quick succession. When I try to do the wavedash as a separate action the opponent can just hit me out of the shine. The problem is that it's hard to force myself to do something slower than I want to and then immediately do something fast. I've had people recommend focusing on just grinding out one tech at a time, but the more I try to focus on just doing one thing over and over the worse I get at it. I don't think it's because my hands are tired. Its like I just forget how to do it properly. The best way I can explain it is like trying to say the same word over and over again until the sounds of it don't make sense anymore and you can't even pronounce it right.
Basically, get more experienced, get so good at waveshining that you can do while you're asleep, eventually, that problem is gonna be fixed because your confidence and skills are gonna rise up. Force yourself to do it, even if its not working.

Last edited:

BIG D Was Taken

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
BIGD#791
can someone help me? i cant edgeguard peach cuz her upb has hitboxes (yk what i mean)... how do you play around that? (sry i am 5 months in)
get better at spacing, don't get in too close and hit her from the right angles and use disjointed moves.

BIG D Was Taken

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
BIGD#791
Can someone tell me on which characters at which percents upthrow upair works? thanks in advance
you should go check other information on the fox section of the forums, he's popular so most of his stuff is already documented.

BIG D Was Taken

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
BIGD#791
This question isn't about Melee Fox Specifically, but where does the Shine come from? is it an actual thing in a Star Fox game? or is it a smash original?
most of the gameplay in Star Fox is in an airwing, you only get to actually play Fox on land once and its pretty ****ty. Almost much everything in his moveset is just regular kicks and punches . One popular theory on how the smash 64 devs made up the shine is that they took back the pattern from the barrel roll ( which makes you immune to projectiles while in effect ) and modified it a bit to not be confused with the shield.

D20 Hektick

Smash Rookie

I'm tired of seeing so many threads asking questions that have been answered over and over again, and are obvious to the average smasher. I figure this will stop at least some of those from popping up.

Post asking anything you want about Fox that you're not sure about or just don't know. I will answer your question within the day, and if anyone else wants to answer before I can, go for it, and false information given will be corrected.

Also it wouldn't hurt to check this thread, or others before asking but, it really won't matter much.

Ask away.
I just started maining Fox and I need some basic tips on how to be a great Fox main. Any cool tactics I should know of?

Top Bottom