• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Oh? Lol. I'm so dumb. Just didn't consider that there would be a chance you'd be referencing that specific one.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Hey Fox bros can I ask a question real quick?

I feel kind of sloppy in my uthrow combo game vs Sheik. I get that after about 30% or so I should probably just uthrow full jump uair, but what about at low percents? Is uthrow usmash/utilt the best choice at 0% against no DI? What about slight DI? Against full DI at low % I do the SH nair -> utilt thing, that's probably best, right?

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
Canadians say you should nair sheik out of upthrow at low %s

I usually just try to uptilt or something and if he DJs just take advantage of the low lag on uptilt to try to get a hit off her bad position.

Canadians are probably right about everything when it comes to comboing sheik though, so just wait for them >_>

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
No DI (and some of slight DIs but I forget which ones) - up tilt --> up tilt or nair or whatever it's Fox lolz

DI anywhere else - SHFFL nair --> up tilt --> lol combo (beware of SDI down & away on the nair, which requires you to grab them or shine or w/e).

EWC

Smash Ace
There's a precent range where you can't sh nair them if they DI away but you can fulljump fastfall AC bair and that's good sometimes too cuz you can like uptilt or whatever.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
I don't get how you're supposed to combo sheik at 0 on DI away. You nair and then they reach the ground with like no stun and **** you up >_>

unknown522

Some guy
I don't get how you're supposed to combo sheik at 0 on DI away. You nair and then they reach the ground with like no stun and **** you up >_>
you're too slow then.

But yeah, on slight DI/no DI use u-tilt. On DI away/behind then SHFFL n-air -> u-tilt/re-grab. If they DI behind, it's hard to get the n-air. So if you're lazy then just b-air. You're unlikely to get a followup if you do though.

you can sh uair

but thats really easy to sdi
they can actually jump out of it cuz the u-air is too slow. If they try to attack though, then you should hit them first. I use it sometimes at 0% cuz there's not much risk.

There's a precent range where you can't sh nair them if they DI away but you can fulljump fastfall AC bair and that's good sometimes too cuz you can like uptilt or whatever.
if you do that, I'm pretty sure that they can n-air you on your way down from a FH b-air. You may also potentially lose a stock for doing that. Still, the percents where n-air stops working well, u-air starts to work anyway.

Also, S2J is the man!

otto if you don't answer my uthrow vs sheik question im gonna bug you about it at that fest tomorrow
what kk said. and at higher percents (combo %s, not kill) switch it up with jump uair and full jump auto-cancel bair. if theres platforms aerial under her -> grab/utilt/usmash or w/e

S l o X

Smash Champion
what are some answers to marth's fair oos? with sheik i can just run up shield and expect it but i feel like it just wouldn't work with fox.

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
Run up-->WD in place outside of marth's range is *really* good in the matchup in general (and would solve your problem).

Also if you switch up your timings on approaches a bit, you could probably land run in upsmashes that'll trade with marth's fair if you can catch him a bit off guard.

Full jumping over them would work (as a hard read) but that's obviously pretty risky.

Aefice

Smash Apprentice
in pal melee,

vs marth i get grabbed too much.

it's either they out space one of my nairs or aerial/dtilt into grab.

what are some tips on avoiding getting grabbed vs marth?

also, when i get marth off stage i rarely finish them off. i tend to kill myself going for a shine spike or i get faired as they recover.

what are some tips on edge guarding marth?

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Light shield if Marth is recovering from below.

Don't light shield when Marth is recovering across and he didn't use his second jump yet. If you do, Marth can use nair for his double jump and push you off of the stage. Instead, regular shield and usmash oos after he nairs.

you can also CC> trade dsmash against his up b at low percent's if you cant get to the edge on time.

Ftilit downwards upon Marths up b from below.

That is all I know about edge guarding Marth.

foshio

Smash Journeyman
What do people follow up shine oos with? Do you just jump out of the shine and run away or try to wave land out of it and follow it to something?

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
I'm thinking of picking up Fox as a secondary to use when I don't feel like playing Ganon and can't win with Kirby. Anyway, I've been working on technical stuff, but have a few questions.

What's the easiest way to get the hang of short hopping? No matter how much I try, I keep doing a full hop.

Do most people claw the controller? I can double ground shine if I claw, but then I can't waveshine. Should I try to go back and forth while I'm playing?

foshio

Smash Journeyman
I'm thinking of picking up Fox as a secondary to use when I don't feel like playing Ganon and can't win with Kirby. Anyway, I've been working on technical stuff, but have a few questions.

What's the easiest way to get the hang of short hopping? No matter how much I try, I keep doing a full hop.

Do most people claw the controller? I can double ground shine if I claw, but then I can't waveshine. Should I try to go back and forth while I'm playing?
As a recently getting all my techniques down with fox play I say short hop is really just practice. The muscle memory comes with time. I do not use the claw technique but can do multishines/waveshines/multishines to waveshines to short hop shennanigans but it really does not mean anything because I am really unintelligent with my play, so...
That being said I know alot of the pros who are really technical use the claw so you may want to invest time in it if its comfortable for you.

In conclusions most things are practice practice and muscle memory.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
use what is comfortable to you when jumpiing. I use control stick but it depends.

The claw method is used by a number of known players such as Javi and M2k. it hurts your fingers buts well worth it.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
I use buttons to jump, the only time I use the control stick is when I'm ledgehopping. I'll try to use the claw. I find it pretty comfortable, I'd just have to put a bit of work into getting used to pushing the trigger.

I definitely have time to keep practicing, since Ganon doesn't have much complicated tech skill (although I suppose the reverse ledgedash can be considered difficult).

Is there any way to accelerate learning to SH, or just stick with it, pun unintended.

unknown522

Some guy
in pal melee,

vs marth i get grabbed too much.

it's either they out space one of my nairs or aerial/dtilt into grab.

what are some tips on avoiding getting grabbed vs marth?

also, when i get marth off stage i rarely finish them off. i tend to kill myself going for a shine spike or i get faired as they recover.

what are some tips on edge guarding marth?
it's even easier to edgeguard marth in Pal with fox. Abuse ledge invincibility and shine him. Or let him on the stage then punish.

Avoiding grabs, I dunno.

Top Bottom