• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

EWC

Smash Ace
A non-fastfalled dair can cover both the dodge and no dodge options, and leas into a grab.

unknown522

Some guy
How do u deal wit spacies that get knocked down and buffer spotdodges????even if I wait they shine right after and I don't get the grab....should I charge a fsmash or usmash or sumthing else
You can DD to try to bait the shine/dodge, then grab them. You could also try putting in a meaty attack when they spotdodge (like dash attack/f-smash/u-smash/f-tilt/d-tilt/n-air/d-air), so that you don't have to time through their dodge. Beware though, some of these can get CC'd. Shine is gay as ****.

sauc3

Smash Lord
Can fox out-camp a falco of equal skill? I always feel like I have to approach falco whenever I play him, but if I can just sit there and shoot layzoars, should I?

MarsFool!

Smash Lord
Can fox out-camp a falco of equal skill? I always feel like I have to approach falco whenever I play him, but if I can just sit there and shoot layzoars, should I?
With platforms yes, with guns no.

Falco cant shoot above him and his uair can be cc til you get sick of it

You can do a lot of crazy shiit Oos, nothing suprises me anymore >_>

Milos

Smash Lord
There's no way that anyone can dsmash OOS... right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFAQcm09SWk#t=3m36s

@3:36 prog shields PC's dair and dsmashes really quickly OOS

i know there is a powershield and it would work if there was ONLY a powershield but other hitboxs of fox's dair hit shield

SOMEONE EXPLAIN!!!
If you powershield 1 hit of fox's dair the game will read it as if you powershield that hit and all the hits in it following whichever hit you powershield, even if the shield pops up and it doesnt show every powershielded hit, that's how the game treats it. So what he did was powershield that hit and then released the shield button and pressed down on the c stick.

Mad J

Smash Cadet
fox vs ganon are u mostly tryin to bait attacks? because whenever i seem to approach ganon i get punished hard... his jab is so fast and his uair seems to have mad range..

unknown522

Some guy
i miss raynex
me too...

no he can't, but people may tell you otherwise.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but up-smash isn't that only smash that can be JC'd right.
lol

fox vs ganon are u mostly tryin to bait attacks? because whenever i seem to approach ganon i get punished hard... his jab is so fast and his uair seems to have mad range..
just laser ganon. The matchup becomes pretty easy.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
Tomacawk said:
What do you guys think of this:
you upthrow falcon at high %, he lands on the top platform and whiffs his tech. Rather than waiting to see what he does or just dj bairing, why not fullhop shine, and stall in the shine? They pretty much always make a decision when they see you leave the ground, and it's a nice way to cover all options. Between bair and nair you can cover the entire plat
hmmm ?

Tomacawk

Smash Master
You cannot seriously believe the falcon will recognize you're stalling in your shine the first time you do it and do nothing??

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I dont believe it.

I think he will try that good old getup attack lol.

Ill give it a try just to see the reactions I get. Sounds a bit interesting.

But I do think that once they catch on they will just stand and shield/move/jump.

So its only good to force and punish a getup attack. and then you will have to try mixups from this point on.

GOD!

Smash Ace
It sound good. But can't you honestly just double jump and bair him after you read his get up or roll? It sounds like it would work, at least the first time you do it.

Then again I'd rather just dj waveland on the platform and then shield. Almost no tech skill and can lead to better stuff. And it covers all options.

EWC

Smash Ace
Wave land onto the platform and hold down to CC. No matter what he does you can easily grab him again, which leads to more follow ups than a bair.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
or you could be a balla and know/guess whihc way he's going to roll and waveland upsmash him like a champ.

or you cud be lame and wait.

i find people in general getup attack more on lower platforms, and they tend to roll to the opposite side when they misstech on the top platform.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
I still lurk every now and then. I'm on a 1-2 month hiatus. Been playing smash non-stop since the 9th grade so it was time for a change.

I'll be back in training a bit before Apex though.

MarsFool!

Smash Lord
If fox was below me and I was falcon id roll to whatever side hes not on so when he came back at me he couldnt do anything but grab me, though hopefully i will have made my exit from that platform as quick as possible. When you interrupt your jump with the shine no matter how quickly you severely limit your ability to move either side in quick succession even with wavelanding.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
If fox was below me and I was falcon id roll to whatever side hes not on so when he came back at me he couldnt do anything but grab me, though hopefully i will have made my exit from that platform as quick as possible. When you interrupt your jump with the shine no matter how quickly you severely limit your ability to move either side in quick succession even with wavelanding.
no. If you shine stall under the center of the platform, no matter what stage you're on, you can cover all options with nair, bair, or turn around bair.

xbombr

Smash Ace
You can dash cancel into any smash attack by crouching mid-run and then c-sticking. It's slower than JC'ing though.
Barely slower...

The upside is that if your technical game isn't that great, a dash cancelled smash using the c-stick has a 0% chance of charging unless you press Z at the same time, while a jump cancelled upsmash will start charging if you don't release A fast enough.

I generally feel like it's faster to just dash cancel the upsmash unless I need to charge it since I don't have to worry about going into the charging part of it since I didn't release A like the exact same frame that I started the smash.

joeplicate

Smash Master
no. If you shine stall under the center of the platform, no matter what stage you're on, you can cover all options with nair, bair, or turn around bair.
that's hella complicated, dude

you should just check to see if they miss their tech, then uair them out of the missed-tech-lag

works 100% of the time

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Barely slower...

The upside is that if your technical game isn't that great, a dash cancelled smash using the c-stick has a 0% chance of charging unless you press Z at the same time, while a jump cancelled upsmash will start charging if you don't release A fast enough.

I generally feel like it's faster to just dash cancel the upsmash unless I need to charge it since I don't have to worry about going into the charging part of it since I didn't release A like the exact same frame that I started the smash.
God forbid the upsmash charge a bit before it connects!

JC with up + the c-stick if you want to get an insta-upsmash out of a dash.

MarsFool!

Smash Lord
still not seeing how that would work. Ill try it but if you mean what i think you do by stall, it shouldnt work.

screw up airing though, risky juggle vs down air you can get the reset. resets>all even at non killing percents in that match. Anything that leads to another grab on a platform is the bane of anyone who has missed a tech against fox.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
I cannot believe how complicated you guys are making this. There's nothing that complex or difficult about it. It's a way to trick the opponent into taking action. That doesn't mean that this should be the new way you always platform chase, it's just another weapon to put in the arsenal.
Next time I am able to record games I will do it and link it here.

GOD!

Smash Ace
It's like trying to shine bair instead of bair all the time: there are better ways to do things, so just give it up..

Lol jk, yeah people take theory way too seriously on SWF. If you talked to them at a tourney they'd probably say something like "You could just wait and dj but yeah, that sounds pretty cool." And then you'd talk about how good it is for a few minutes while practicing it slowly together on bf/yoshis (that sounded weird but you know what I'm talking about).

All in all is sounds good. If anyone did something to me I'd never seen before, I'd be a little mindgamed. So just go for it.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
lovage, you need to patent some particular waveshine combo, because i just got out of geography class, and we're studying earthquakes right now, and 1 of the 4 different types of waves an earthquake creates is a LOVE WAVE...tooooooooooooo goooooooooood.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Toma's shine stall could be used, but sparingly. If you try this too much, you might get rising attack'ed' out of your dj oos. Once it knocks you off the stage, you're screwed.

Its safer and more universally practical to either wait, or empty short/full hop to bait movement then predict.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
Toma's shine stall could be used, but sparingly. If you try this too much, you might get rising attack'ed' out of your dj oos. Once it knocks you off the stage, you're screwed.

Its safer and more universally practical to either wait, or empty short/full hop to bait movement then predict.
This is all I've been trying to establish. If you're missing opportunities because they're out smarting you in this situation, you could shine stall instead.
You people need to realize that pros play like newbs to trick pros who expect pros to play like pros.
That is, sometimes the most intelligent thing to do is to play like an idiot.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Unless you're playing against only idiots, in which case playing like an absolute ****** and spamming tech skill at ALL times is a necessity.

Don't you hate when you try to think vs. other spammy players but still get hit and die? T_T

PK Webb

Smash Champion
On fd is dair a decent approach....I don't feel as if dair is as useful as nair on this stage. Due to a lack of platforms....I just wondering if nair should be used a considerable amount more and dair when approach head on instead from up above

Top Bottom