• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chain Grabbing MK *UPDATED! SEE 1st POST*

_Kadaj_

Smash Hero
Throw that P***y at me? B***h I think Im Babe Ruth
Ok so majority of the Marth mains know that I hardly ever post discoveries and other vital information because of the fact that there is hardly much productivity from the other Marth players.

*After more testing I found that it is possible to re-grab MK up to 10x

As a select few know, I've found this out about 2-3 weeks ago so I've had ample time to test it out with other players so I know that it cannot be escaped.

With that being said I'll tell you how to chain grab MK now.

In order to do so MK must be at 0. Once you grab him use Down Throw.
*This probably being the hardest part of the chain grab altogether*

In order to re-grab MK you must buffer a dash out of the Down Throw and then you have to Boost Grab or DAC Grab if you will.

You can Down Throw MK UP TO 10x after the 10th throw you can end with DB or opt to re-grab one last time for a grab release

*Note the timing is a bit stricter than Chain Grabbing Falco

ALSO THE REGRAB IS NOT POSSIBLE UNLESS YOU BOOST GRAB/ DAC GRAB!!!

Another plus to using Boost grab is that Down Throw Chain Grabbing Falco, Fox, Wolf, Pikachu, and Squirtle 10x is A LOT easier.

Thoughts/Comments/Concerns?

clowsui

Smash Legend
as a side note i'm agreeing with kadaj here on the buffered boost grabs, CG'ing falco for the 10 grabs is free when you boost grab but if you try to buffer a regular grab it's almost like you have to be frame perfect due to the distance marth goes on his buffered dash grab

also nice find. this does..4+4+3+21 so 33?

Life

Smash Hero
*ninja appearance*

What if dthrow (for whatever reason) is staled from a prior stock? (IDK what you'd be doing dthrowing MK at kill percents, just a thought.)

*ninja vanish*

Moxin

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to teach this to my marth maining friend so I can get better at the mk v marth MU, good find :)

Nike.

Smash Hero
I remember 08 vids with down throw -> fsmash. Had no idea that a true chaingrab existed.

Very nice find Kadaj. Wish you posted alot more about marth stuff :)

_Kadaj_

Smash Hero
Shaya you can see a difference if you were to stand in one spot and do normal dash grab then repeat the process with a DAC Grab.

Same way with a DAC Grab backwards when your just standing there, and you get the huge sliding momentum backwards. It's the same concept but not as severe when moving forward.

Thanks Nike

Rad

Smash Ace
You make this sound incredibly difficult. With enough practice is it reliable? There are simpler things you can do out of a grab at 0% that still do good damage.

Good stuff of course. :)

_Kadaj_

Smash Hero
I can do it almost 100% of the time Rad. It's not that hard, I just stated that the hardest part to do is buffer a dash out of the down throw and then DAC Grab. I'll admit it's takes a bit of time to get use to but it is extremely reliable. THERE IS NOTHING MORE SATISFYING THAN GUARANTEED DAMAGE ^_^

Clowsui my mistake it IS 33% 5+4+3+21

The Truth!

Smash Ace
Was this frame tested? I cant speak for all the characters, but I know when the dthrow chaingrab was first mentioned on pikachu by michael hey, K Prime tested it and found that it didnt work. Im almost certain he tested boost grabs as well since it was very obvious a regular dthrow did not work, but no one seems to remember. iirc he tested a few other character cgs for marth to see what did or didnt work, but it wasnt written down anywhere just mentioned in our chat.

If it was frame tested nevermind though.

_Kadaj_

Smash Hero
I haven't tested it with the code for frame by frame. BUT I have tested it with actual players who have done fastest moves possible to be able to escape if it were possible.

Like DI'ing, Dbl stick DI'ing away, spotdodging, and a combination of other things.
The fastest reaction that a character can do to avoid it is spot dodge but when done properly MK doesn't even really touch the ground before being re-grabbed again

Mr-R

Smash Champion
woa really good find kadaj!
looking forward to the video o.o

Judo777

Smash Master
I'm actually a little surprised that marth gains distance from his boost grab when he gains less distance from a DACUS. Most characters DACUS are proportional to the speed they move at the beginning of their DA. Sheik picks up speed extremely quick for her DA thats why her DACUS is so far (same with snake). But marth slows down for his DA at the beginning and thats why his DACUS is smaller than a hyphen smash. Maybe boost grabs dont have those properties cause now that i think about it sheiks boost grab isn't very far.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
its a shame its a 4% difference from fthrow -> dthrow -> fsmash tipper !_!

anyway, did you try uairing?
Is fthrow > dthrow > fsmash guaranteed?

Beats the hell out of my gimmick setups off of a fthrow at 0 if so....

Orion*

Smash Researcher
except. marth will always make a small technical mistake and ill just downsmash :D

jk, marth is really ****ing homo. but takes a loooot of work

PEACE7

Smash Champion
Marth the best!! Looking forward to the video as well. Also I haven't tested this, I actually done it only once and never tried it again it has nothing to do with mk ,but I was playing a Link the other day and I grabbed him near the edge of the stage at 0 percent damage f>throw to tipper and footstooled him and it seemed as if he couldn't recover at all I really would like to know if this works all the time or if its escapeable. It might be something like Nickriddles finding with Zss vs Dk where after a down smash he footstools Dk and its a guaranteed kill.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
isn't xyro the guy that had to cheat just to beat a bowser main in a mm? thats what I heard anyway

Top Bottom