• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl+ Faq

Voss

Smash Rookie
Huh... just read the first post of this thread... I understand the cause and all, but why were people expecting Brawl to be exactly like Melee?

The devs probably considered Melee to be 'broken' with all its possible exploits and thus nerfed the game.

I just can't quite comprehend you peoples' way of thinking. :S

plasmatorture

Smash Journeyman
Huh... just read the first post of this thread... I understand the cause and all, but why were people expecting Brawl to be exactly like Melee?

The devs probably considered Melee to be 'broken' with all its possible exploits and thus nerfed the game.

I just can't quite comprehend you peoples' way of thinking. :S
Nobody was expecting it to be exaclty like Melee. To be blunt, most of us were expecting a good game on par if not better than Melee, and instead we got the non-competitve campfest that is Brawl. Heaven forbid we want to mak the game fun and competitive.

Voss

Smash Rookie
Fair enough I guess...

But Brawl is a game in itself, and from what I've seen quite a few people say it's a bad game instantly because it's NOT Melee. Maybe it's just those people. :|

And, as I said before, the cause is legitimate and I don't oppose it. (Although SSB never really was supposed to be a competitive game.)

plasmatorture

Smash Journeyman
Fair enough I guess...

But Brawl is a game in itself, and from what I've seen quite a few people say it's a bad game instantly because it's NOT Melee. Maybe it's just those people. :|
I think most people in the Brawl+ "group," at least currently, are NOT those people. Most of us have played Brawl a lot since release and have gotten tired of it, I believe.

And, as I said before, the cause is legitimate and I don't oppose it. (Although SSB never really was supposed to be a competitive game.)
Well, that's good. :)

Melee defintley was designed to be at least somewhat competitive, maybe Brawl was intentionally dumbed down, but I think it's a fallacy to say it never was supposed to be. It's not like Street Fighter 4 or Starcraft 2 where it's being made intentionally with the competitive players in mind, sure, but (with codes) Brawl has all the elements to be a fine competitive game.
Plus, the CPU plays way better in Brawl+ than in Brawl, and if that's not a sign that they were originally designed for a much deeper game I don't know what is.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Fair enough I guess...

Not at all. This is not intended to be melee and in fact it can be as good as melee only because we are bringing back the mechanics present in 64. You can't say we are trying to make it melee when the mechanics are actually from 64. And its not really bringing them back, its more like editing the 64 mechanics that are in brawl but are so broken that they appear nonexistent.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
I just want to come in and say that Sonic is completely ridiculous in brawl+. He chains fairs and uairs flawlessly, dair chains into said moves, SDJ combos into bair (very easy kill setup), and although I haven't tried him with the new shieldstun and no sweetspot ledges code I can only imagine him getting better with these codes. Shieldstun would make bair->grab nearly guaranteed when blocked, and Sonic's edgeguarding game would get even better (without his recovery suffering at all since he already can't sweetspot the ledge).

/Sonic rant.

On a similar note, Kirby also seems pretty rediculous and I've added him to my lineup as a result. I've got some sweet aerial hammer combos on people with him.

Roxas215

Smash Lord
Can someone tell me what hitstun i should use? Most videos i see are using 11.75 hitstun but it's looks crazy long and i know melee's hitstun was not that long.

D

Deleted member

11.75 is waaay too high now, use 9, or 8 if you want to keep the change little

Osi

Smash Ace
Melee had crazy hitstun lol, but it was faster making it harder to abuse. I personally switched down to 10% because of a gravity increase on fall speed. With the new SH code I may even take it to 9.

D

Deleted member

melee had not so much hitstun actually, but then again, most games have comparedd to SSB64

storm92

Smash Ace
melee had not so much hitstun actually, but then again, most games have comparedd to SSB64
Well the hitstun was pretty ridiculous on some moves, it was just more of gravity combined with the stun that made it so combo friendly.

And yes, Phillyrider, use 8, 9, or 10%. Depending on the gravity settings you use.

DededeForPresident

Smash Rookie
sick of melee....

did i read correctly when Jiangjunizzy wrote: (note the stressed words)
2) Why shouldn't I just go play Melee instead?
Despite our efforts to bring features that were in Melee into Brawl, these are mechanics that were present throughout the Smash Bros series that were strangely left out for Brawl's release. We believe those mechanics are imperative to a unique game such as Smash Brothers, and after extensive testing with these changes in place, many of us find the game a lot more enjoyable. You won't have the metagame, the characters or the stages if you played Melee, and quite frankly, many of us are sick of Melee, hence why the Melee scene has shrunk so drastically. Also, if you are anything like me, you camped out for your wii and checked the dojo every night. Why should all that effort go to waste?

I thought I'd never see the day....

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
i have sent this FAQ to a dozen people asking for suggestions and no one has complained about that; if you think it needs to be changed i'll be more than happy to :laugh:

however, i thought it was a valid to say that we have, indeed, been playing melee for a long time and have had enough.

DededeForPresident

Smash Rookie
getting new codes

I haven't hacked my wii yet (plan to), but when I do and they release more codes, can I use my SD card to transfer them to my Wii?

Makkun

Smash Journeyman
Have you tried wavedashing without the buffer? It's rediculously hard I'd like to see how many times someone could stack that.

**** I'm getting off topic.
No, I haven't yet. I will make it a point to try out the newer codes this weekend. (:

And yes, you are actually supposed to use an SD card to transfer the codes. :p

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
i have sent this FAQ to a dozen people asking for suggestions and no one has complained about that; if you think it needs to be changed i'll be more than happy to :laugh:

however, i thought it was a valid to say that we have, indeed, been playing melee for a long time and have had enough.
A valid point? Pfft. Not at all, and there is no way this was in there when I read it. Melee is amazing and that has no place in this FAQ.

Change NAO

pklucas

Smash Apprentice
would it ever be possible to make falcon's knee like it was in melee? or way too complicated

Osi

Smash Ace
I totally agree on that falco. I know of at least 3 or 4 combos really rough to DI/tech out of at 35-45% which land a knee while still in hitstun.

UzakiuzuG

Smash Journeyman
I like what you have done. Im glad that some people are brining the good ole Melee/Brawl back. It wouldy be nice for tourney. Guess we are playing by ear.

Astrax

Smash Rookie
After testing Brawl+ with my friends, I must say that im quite impressed. The quality and fun of the matches can't compare with normal Brawl matches. No way we are going "back".

Thumbs up for Brawl+

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Many of the codes are available in PAL format thanks to paprika killer. Check the Brawl code agenda for his posts. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if they're centralized anywhere right now.

This would be a good point to address in the FAQ

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero

Change NAO!!!

No really....some people may find that offensive. I play both melee and brawl+, because even with all the similarities in the engines, I like the drastic differences in character styles and Metagames. Brawl Sonic plays nothing like Brawl Marth, who plays nothing like Melee Marth, who plays nothing like *insert character here.* And the metagames in melee and brawl+ will probably revolve around different characters as well.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
Change NAO!!!

No really....some people may find that offensive. I play both melee and brawl+, because even with all the similarities in the engines, I like the drastic differences in character styles and Metagames. Brawl Sonic plays nothing like Brawl Marth, who plays nothing like Melee Marth, who plays nothing like *insert character here.* And the metagames in melee and brawl+ will probably revolve around different characters as well.
I love you. I want your babies. :laugh::laugh:

Nah seriously, I totally agree.

shinyspoon42

Smash Journeyman
How does Ivysaur perform in brawl+? Is there any way that someday mewtwo could be put back into the game? And what are the fun/joke codes that have been made?

thanks in advance.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
How does Ivysaur perform in brawl+? Is there any way that someday mewtwo could be put back into the game? And what are the fun/joke codes that have been made?

thanks in advance.
I haven't tried him myself yet, but ivy probably does decently. I heard he has some pretty cool combos.

Mewtwo is impossible. There is only a fragment of his data in the game's code.

There are way too many fun/joke codes to list. If you want a full list of codes that have been made for brawl you can check the wiired topic: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=209575

storm92

Smash Ace
Ivysaur does have a few effective combos, he looks pretty decent now.
The biggest problem is his d--- recovery.

Top Bottom