• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl+ Faq

Revven

FrankerZ
It'd be nice if it mixed things up between Brawl and Melee a bit more. Like having stale moves still on, which would help to create a bit more variety in someone's gameplay, rather than having it off and having some people spam the same moves over and over again in the guise of a combo.

This is from a totally casual standpoint.

Oh, just as a quick question. The no-auto sweetspotting thing, is that only to grab onto ledges with Up+B? Or does it include things like sweetspotting Zelda's aerial attacks and stuff??
You don't have to just have no stale moves, you can use 25% staleness, 50%, 75% etc. There's a whole modifier for it for a reason.

And, to answer your main question, it just effects edges for Up B and some Forward B moves (not all) and doesn't affect Lucario, Ness, and Lucas due to the way their Up Bs are coded and work.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
And while I'm still thinking about it, the first post should really have a link to codemgr.exe . I've never had an easy time finding the thing since GeckoOS replaced Ocarina, and if I had less interest, I would have given up right then.

Tabris-

Smash Apprentice
You don't have to just have no stale moves, you can use 25% staleness, 50%, 75% etc. There's a whole modifier for it for a reason.

And, to answer your main question, it just effects edges for Up B and some Forward B moves (not all) and doesn't affect Lucario, Ness, and Lucas due to the way their Up Bs are coded and work.
I menat like her foward a and stuff, when you sweetspot that type of attack.

Kix

Smash Journeyman
If stale moves mess with guard stun I'm inclined to say make no stale moves instead of make it lower at a weaker rate.

BEES

Smash Lord
And while I'm still thinking about it, the first post should really have a link to codemgr.exe . I've never had an easy time finding the thing since GeckoOS replaced Ocarina, and if I had less interest, I would have given up right then.
http://rapidshare.com/files/160664283/Code-Manager_dol.rar
Here's the link to the wii version of code manager. Put it on the SD card and run it from the homebrew browser. I know what you mean. I installed ocarina and brawl+ over the weekend and it took 7 hours because the instructions thread was outdated. If you got the last wii update then the link to the homebrew channel that thread has is wrong. You need the new homebrew channel or it won't work, and code manager is extremely hard to find.

To use:
-put the codes in the format shown in the OP in a .txt file, and put it in the codemgr folder

RSBE01
Super Smash Bros Brawl

No Tripping
0481CB34 C0220020
045A9340 00000000

etc.

-run code manager on the wii
-select the game you want and press '+' to add whichever codes you want for the .gct file
-it converts the .txt to a .gct with the codes you selected
-boot up geckoOS

zSkin

Smash Rookie
So no MAD will be implemented, even if brawl+ reaches tournament play?

Why?

Capt. Falcon as my main is mad beast with MAD =(

Enoc.gt

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 3263 7934 7408
Im sorry if this was already answered but it wasnt really explained in the FAQ...
do we have to download brawl+ onto our wii?
or... after we have the homebrew channel, we can automatically launch it with no download time..?
I'm not quite sure how it works.. could someone explain pls? :]

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
Im sorry if this was already answered but it wasnt really explained in the FAQ...
do we have to download brawl+ onto our wii?
or... after we have the homebrew channel, we can automatically launch it with no download time..?
I'm not quite sure how it works.. could someone explain pls? :]
4) What do I need to do to get it?
You will need a soft or hardmodded wii. The process is quick and painless, and only requires an SD Card, an SD card reader, and a copy of Twilight Princess (temporarily). Please refer to this thread for any questions on how to accomplish this task.

Winter Genesis

Smash Rookie
Put simply, this is not melee 2.0. This is brawl+. The point is to make brawl into a more competitive smash game. Not to make it more like melee.
So, this is like one step forward from Brawl, rather than one step back?

(I know that's old, but that's basically the only question I have)

Revven

FrankerZ
So, this is like one step forward from Brawl, rather than one step back?

(I know that's old, but that's basically the only question I have)
Yes, it's taking things Brawl is missing from the old games and adding them onto it. As well as removing dumb glitches and changing things to make the game feel faster and more fluid so offense gets better and defense goes down just enough to make it a balanced competitive game (in respect to the gameplay, not characters).

Joak

Smash Cadet
Does the codes on http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=204677 work with the PAL version? I have all things needed installed, just need some working codes. Is there a thread with PAL codes or is there anything else I can do to make thoose codes work? When I start Brawl from Gecko, it says "No codes found on SD" or something. I got the .GCT file in the Codes folder, made by OcarinaPC codemgr.

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
Does the codes on http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=204677 work with the PAL version? I have all things needed installed, just need some working codes. Is there a thread with PAL codes or is there anything else I can do to make thoose codes work? When I start Brawl from Gecko, it says "No codes found on SD" or something. I got the .GCT file in the Codes folder, made by OcarinaPC codemgr.
oh, good question. unfortunately those codes do not work with PAL brawl, but no worries as Paprika_killer is actually working on converting them.

Revven

FrankerZ
All of the codes in the first three posts I believe are NTSC, paprika_killer ported MOST of the codes to PAL, though, they were posted quite a ways into the Code Agenda thread.

However, you can get them here, he hasn't ported all of them yet though.

Joak

Smash Cadet
All of the codes in the first three posts I believe are NTSC, paprika_killer ported MOST of the codes to PAL, though, they were posted quite a ways into the Code Agenda thread.

However, you can get them here, he hasn't ported all of them yet though.
Thanks, thoose codes works:chuckle:! I noticed that some codes got a series of X or Y, like:

downward gravity modifier [paprika_killer]
0463D0E4 XXXXXXXX

What should I replace thoose with?
Same thing in the hitstun-code... Maybe you could give me some good values?

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Use a decimal to hex floating point converter such as this one: http://babbage.cs.qc.edu/IEEE-754/Decimal.html

And type in what value you think is appropriate. For gravity, most people use something between 1.1 and 1.25 (the default is 1). For hitstun, most people use .5, .49, or .48, depending on how much gravity they have (greater gravity means use a lower number; brawl's default hitstun is .4).

Joak

Smash Cadet
Thanks, how about Shieldstun version 7 original spunit [paprika_killer]
C287086C 00000005
83810034 809F007C
A0840006 2C04001A
41820018 1F9CXXXX
3880YYYY 7F9C23D6
3B9CZZZZ 00000000
C277A78C 00000003
2C1C001D 41820008
B39E0006 2C1CFFFF
60000000 00000000
The old_frames_stuned*X/Y+Z=new_frames_stunned

And Lagless edges? Sorry for posting that long code...

Enoc.gt

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 3263 7934 7408

plasmatorture

Smash Journeyman
updated the FAQ in response to all the wavedash associations this project gets.
Haha, I was about to ask you to do that after defending Brawl+ on /v/ just now. The other thing is I think you need to remove the CFalcon vs Samus video in the OP. It's a really cool match but one that's more up to date with the standard codeset would help keep trollbait to a minimum.

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
Haha, I was about to ask you to do that after defending Brawl+ on /v/ just now. The other thing is I think you need to remove the CFalcon vs Samus video in the OP. It's a really cool match but one that's more up to date with the standard codeset would help keep trollbait to a minimum.
yes i was contemplating this, but i need some good matches to post up there. someone post a few and i'll sift through some i like. :p

Garde

Smash Ace
I am going to give this a try. Brawl degenerated pretty quickly, imho, so maybe this is what it needs for the competitive scene, if a standard set of codes can be agreed upon.

While I would personally prefer manual L-Canceling, I guess ALC will have to do for now.

plasmatorture

Smash Journeyman
I am going to give this a try. Brawl degenerated pretty quickly, imho, so maybe this is what it needs for the competitive scene, if a standard set of codes can be agreed upon.

While I would personally prefer manual L-Canceling, I guess ALC will have to do for now.
Feel free to use MLC if you prefer it for fun, but if you want to get started practicing for a standard codeset then you'll probably want to go with ALC. :(

Garde

Smash Ace
Installing the Homebrew channel was cake. However, it took me a few tries of booting up the game to realize that the "codes" available on Ocarina do not work right off the bat and you need to actually use Kupo's set (I know, it's obvious since you provide the files, but I thought I might try anyway). After loading on Kupo's set, it works perfectly. Thanks for making such an easy guide, there were no hitches at all.

As for the ALC, it's probably better this way, as it makes the advanced stuff more accessible overall. I particularly enjoyed the changes made to SSF2T HDR to make it more accessible to beginners, so I've changed my mind on the ALC thing.

So far I'm having a blast. The feel of the game with the "standard" code set feels natural to me, akin to the previous installments in the Smash Bros. series.

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
Installing the Homebrew channel was cake. However, it took me a few tries of booting up the game to realize that the "codes" available on Ocarina do not work right off the bat and you need to actually use Kupo's set (I know, it's obvious since you provide the files, but I thought I might try anyway). After loading on Kupo's set, it works perfectly. Thanks for making such an easy guide, there were no hitches at all.

As for the ALC, it's probably better this way, as it makes the advanced stuff more accessible overall. I particularly enjoyed the changes made to SSF2T HDR to make it more accessible to beginners, so I've changed my mind on the ALC thing.

So far I'm having a blast. The feel of the game with the "standard" code set feels natural to me, akin to the previous installments in the Smash Bros. series.
i'm glad you like it. the CPUs are provide somewhat of a challenge sometimes. :laugh:

shanus

Smash Hero

Glad you are enjoying it! Please post any feedback in the code agenda thread with thoughts on any balance issues as well. Also, now sell it to your friends! I wish this thread could be stickied 100 times over.

Garde

Smash Ace
Which thread is the one for balance issues? The Competitive Hack thread?

The only problem I see right now with the default set is the move decay is set to off. In both SSB64 and Melee, there was move decay, and rightly so, imho. It makes it so that spamming a single move becomes less effective (for one-move wonder players), and also typically makes it so a player is less likely to win without losing a stock (which ultimately leads to closer, more interesting battles, imho).

I have not yet tried it with the reduced decay, but I'll be testing that out next.

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord

The only problem I see right now with the default set is the move decay is set to off. In both SSB64 and Melee, there was move decay, and rightly so, imho. It makes it so that spamming a single move becomes less effective (for one-move wonder players), and also typically makes it so a player is less likely to win without losing a stock (which ultimately leads to closer, more interesting battles, imho).

I have not yet tried it with the reduced decay, but I'll be testing that out next.
Actually, most discussion is taking place in the Code Agenda now. You can do any debating there if you wish. BTW, I sent you a PM. :p

Dumah

Smash Cadet
It sounds interesting, but I think it's being taken in the wrong direction. It sounds like it's trying to make Brawl more into Melee (l-cancels, a more pronounced ledge game, hitstun etc.), but the real issues of Brawl are not being taken care of it seems. And that's balance. The game requires more balance, so while it's amazing that people can combo now (about time), it won't mean squat because the balance of the roster is too far out of whack.

I think that should be the number 1 priority with this code. Changes like how fast you fall, gravity, or whatever are very cosmetic and do not address the real issues with this game.

storm92

Smash Ace

Actually there's just the option to have it set to completely off.
Most are playing 25% or 50%, iirc; the option is on the "unofficial" code list for 25%.

Also, Dumah, these Smash mechanics, not Melee, do balance the roster. Characters have become a lot closer together, and low/bottom tiers such as CF, Ganon, Sonic, etc. have moved up while top/high tiers in vanilla Brawl such as DDD, Snake, and Falco have moved down because all are easy to combo. The combo system by itself truly is a balancing agent, save for MK and Bowser (MK is broken basically, Bowser is just...well he can't combo and is a gigantic target, do the math).

Yeroc

Theory Coder
BRoomer
It sounds interesting, but I think it's being taken in the wrong direction. It sounds like it's trying to make Brawl more into Melee (l-cancels, a more pronounced ledge game, hitstun etc.), but the real issues of Brawl are not being taken care of it seems. And that's balance. The game requires more balance, so while it's amazing that people can combo now (about time), it won't mean squat because the balance of the roster is too far out of whack.

I think that should be the number 1 priority with this code. Changes like how fast you fall, gravity, or whatever are very cosmetic and do not address the real issues with this game.
I hesitate to flat out disagree with you, because you're of course correct that balance needs to be addressed, but if you ask me I think that changing the mechanics has already done a good job of shaking up the character balance a fair bit. New mechanics means new tactics for some characters that weren't possible under the default engine, and that can cause shifts in the game balance. Take ASL for example: A character might have a move that hits below the edge and is phenomenal for edgeguarding, but never got to make use of it before because they couldn't hit people with it because of the sweetspot edges. That character now has a new asset, and as such would probably move to a higher spot in the character rankings under the new system.

Now it's not guaranteed that mechanics changes will make the characters more balanced than before. But it's certainly the hope, and we're hoping to have room left over after we address the mechanics to work on discreet balancing issues.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
This system looks good so far. However, Nintendo DOES know about SWF, so when you see what they did to the game upon hearing of the ways to L-Cancel in Gimpyfish's E for All thread, I would advise people not to go too public with Brawl +, in the case Nintendo gets paranoid about the hacking of one of their best-selling Wii titles and blocks it completely.

Or you can publicize it, because we know Nintendo doesn't give a crap about their games after release.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Every character feels very viable in Brawl+ right now. Maybe people just don't know what to expect yet. Maybe it's just an illusion caused by the combos most characters can perform. But maybe, just maybe, things are really evening out on the tier list. I know I haven't felt disadvantaged in a matchup yet.

Take this video, for example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLQYpomXPKE

Fox, an E tier character, takes on MK (SS) and combos him across the stage. The MK seems like a competent player, but Fox now has a drill-utlit pseudo-pillar, dash attack that combos well, and better movement options in general. It's satisfying to watch.

Or, check out any of the **** combos Captain Falcon (G) can perform. Hitstun does a great many things for balance.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
This system looks good so far. However, Nintendo DOES know about SWF, so when you see what they did to the game upon hearing of the ways to L-Cancel in Gimpyfish's E for All thread, I would advise people not to go too public with Brawl +, in the case Nintendo gets paranoid about the hacking of one of their best-selling Wii titles and blocks it completely.

Or you can publicize it, because we know Nintendo doesn't give a crap about their games after release.
The thing is, what could they do to stop it besides what they've already been doing to stop homebrew? They can try to stop people from installing the hbc by fixing their firmware and auto-updating it, and eventually they will probably even be able to render the hbc useless through a firmware update. But if everyone using the hbc has the 3.2 firmware and refuse to update their wiis, then nintendo will never be able to stop anything.

Top Bottom