• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl+ Faq

Osi

Smash Ace
Since this a FAQ thread, I guess this question is the best place to say it:

How much does Brawl+ benefit each character thus far? I do know it's far too early to ask such a question, but I am intrested in what the changes and potental gain/loss ratio players have found so far.

I apolgize for such a heavy question, but the videos I've seen so far have piqued my intrest.

I can try to answer some of this with my experience so far on brawl+. I hope you find these little character summaries helpful. I'll only mention characters I've played a bit on up till now.

Fox - Simply amazing now. He has multiple drill to up tilt combos. He can punish missed techs on platforms with nair from below and continue the combo. I love to drill -> up tilt twice -> SH drill -> up tilt -> SH nair... and from there is opens into a lot more depending on the opponent's reaction. He also has some nice up air combos with the hitstun. One part of him that is weaker is the recovery. With the no auto sweetspot code on you can punish his up B with most of the cast on the edge. This balances him out a little though. While the drill combos are now likely his main combo connector he has a lot of other combo options still. The forward throw into dash attack then followed up with more is also a nice option.

C Falcon - He is one of the most buffed from what I've noticed. His knee can be combo'd into for a kill at low %, he can chaingrab a down throw if DI is messed up, and he can now edge guard well with down air that the sweetspot is gone. He still is easily punished recovering to the stage. His dash attack, up air, and nair are now great for combos with the hitstun.

Mario - He doesn't seem too buffed to me. His air attacks not link together well with hitstun. There are some nasty up air and back air combos. His up tilt and dash attack are great for combos too. He also has some nasty edge guard options with the cape because the auto sweetspot is gone. His down throw is great for starting combos also. He still has 2 nice KO moves, but they are a bit hard to combo into at higher %(down smash and forward smash).

Jiggly - This character is now insane. I have found sleep juggle combos on every character starting around 0 to 40% depending on weight and fall speed. She can wall of pain well with the hitstun. I think jiggly will rise to around mid tier with the changes if not higher. Jiggly still is easy to KO, and some projectile based characters tear her apart. Her ground game is still trash too.

IC - Pretty good. The IC have more combo options with the hitstun added. A dash attack can launch people up easily after a chain grab and do massive damage if followed right. To me it seams more CG options are also opened up with the hitstun. I can back throw with nana and catch them right before they land on the ground as soon as the down throw is able to DI out of. They are now the only real CG threat I've seen.

Dedede - Kinda different. Dedede doesn't seem bad by any means. His down throw CG is gone, so he plays different. His air game is still insane, and with hitstun he can wall of pain pretty well. He is able to bair characters below the stage and recover with his insane up B range. He also has nice juggle combos with down air and up air. I think there is enough left in dedede for any fans of him to be happy on brawl+.

Falco - Pretty good still. His lazer game is still nasty. He is a good character to punish missed techs on. He can drill combo pretty well, has a lot of small juggle attacks like his up tilt, and he can combo into spikes or back airs. I expect him to remain high on the list still. He is much easier to gimp off stage now though. His up B can be punished like fox's.

Sheik - Much better. Sheik still lacks KO power, but her combo ability is just ridiculous now. She has likely around 10 moves that can be used in combos pretty easily. Her recovery is also very good now because other recoveries have become easier to punish.

Sonic - Better. Sonic now has some pretty nice vertical combos. He can combo into the up air and kill pretty low %. His bair is also able to be combo'd into and kill at decent %. I'm still a bit new to him, so I doubt I'm using his full potential.

Marth - Much better. Marth with added hitstun is pretty nice. He can combo into spikes again, and fair combo clear across a stage. He also has some nice vertical combos too now. The recovery is a bit of an issue still, but he seems improved to me.

Peach - Much much better. She can do insane down air and forward/up tilt combos. her float combos with up air and back air are nice now too with hitstun added in. She doesn't have to worry about decay as much with the codes. Her counter is a nice up b edge guard too now too.

Kirby - Much better. He can wall of pain with the back air now pretty well. His up air can be used in some really nasty juggle combos. He isn't affect much by the no auto sweetspot, so it actually made his recovery better in comparison because others became worse. Hitstun did a lot to help his already nice air game. You can combo into the hammer in the air, so yea that's pretty nasty.

That's just all the ones I can remember atm, but I hope it was helpful.

SketchHurricane

Smash Ace
Sure, there's no way he'll make top tier, but he's definitely made it out of bottom. Trust me. I know what he's capable of, having been on both the delivering and receiving ends of ganon's punishment game.
QFT.

As Storm92 pointed out, I really like the balancing effect that hitstun put on DDD/Snake. L-cancel gave them a few more options, like DDD fastfall fair, Snake SH nair, ect. But they are among the easier to combo characters.

@leafgreen
Please get me some sonic footage. I hear nothing but talk about how he got better. Frankly, I don't quite see it yet, but my Sonic sucks balls, so I can't say anything.

Osi said:
Kirby - Much better. He can wall of pain with the back air now pretty well. His up air can be used in some really nasty juggle combos. He isn't affect much by the no auto sweetspot, so it actually made his recovery better in comparison because others became worse. Hitstun did a lot to help his already nice air game. You can combo into the hammer in the air, so yea that's pretty nasty.
Now that you mention it, Kirby might just be top or close to it in Brawl+. He's already pretty underestimated in vanilla (Chu just won a tourney soley with Kirby a few weeks ago). His forward smash has ridiculous range and power, and the fact that a lot of his "reading rainbows" are now actual combos, he can seriously rack up the damage and keep the fsmash fresh for the kill.

Osi

Smash Ace
Yea he has nice KO moves, good combo juggles, and a awesome recovery. He is pretty much improved on what was already good now lol. He is really scary to fight when I'm on fox/falco.

Finns7

Smash Ace
MK is god tier with the ledge codes, but without Meta does not seem that broken. Meta can combo, but he also can now actually get comboed with the added hitstun, and since he dies at low % it kinda nerf/buffs.

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
i dont think meta is nearly as bad people are making him out to be. or rather, i think he did get stronger, but people have to realize that other characters did as well :]

Finns7

Smash Ace
What codes work online....is there a friend finder for brawl+, the chat has no one on it, well when I go there it doesnt.

storm92

Smash Ace
Osi pretty much summed up everything I wanted to put.
I'll type up some later that he didn't include, I've tested almost every char.

One char I really noticed an improvement on though was Luigi. He can combo great with Usmash/Dthrow/Utilts into Uairs, which in turn can be finished with a myriad of moves. His Dtilt is weird and great for combos, as it pops up chars right in front of him and sets up a Fsmash/Dsmash/killing move. He can also edgeguard very well with quick Fair/Bairs and jab-->Uppercut is amazing again.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Osi pretty much summed up everything I wanted to put.
I'll type up some later that he didn't include, I've tested almost every char.

One char I really noticed an improvement on though was Luigi. He can combo great with Usmash/Dthrow/Utilts into Uairs, which in turn can be finished with a myriad of moves. His Dtilt is weird and great for combos, as it pops up chars right in front of him and sets up a Fsmash/Dsmash/killing move. He can also edgeguard very well with quick Fair/Bairs and jab-->Uppercut is amazing again.
He can actually dthrow -> aerial shoryuken at killing percents, which is pretty cool imo.

Roxas215

Smash Lord
Im wondering about snake. Snake already have hitstun in brawl. Im mean isn't be beyond broken now with extra hitstun? Can't he just spam is A combo over and over now?

And what about mk? I know he must be even above god tier now with hitstun. If mk was in arguments over being banned in regular brawl it should be a no brainier in brawl+

But do anyone have any input on how good zss is now? With added hitstun to her attacks plus the already godly plasma she should be really good now right? And if this makes my peach any better then im all for it!

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
snake is actually quite balanced with the hitstun. while he has some deadly, albeit short, combos, he suffers from it just as equally because hes a relatively large target, he falls moderately quickly, and his aerials are slow making him pretty easy to combo.

well the thing about MK is that he had something no one else did, so i think it might be feasible now that everyone has combos and a decent approach MK is probably not too far ahead of everyone else. with that said, however, MK is still really freaking good.

dunno much about ZSS, but i don't see her getting any worse. the hitstun doesn't affect her lightning stuns though.

and peach is really really good now.

Roxas215

Smash Lord
snake is actually quite balanced with the hitstun. while he has some deadly, albeit short, combos, he suffers from it just as equally because hes a relatively large target, he falls moderately quickly, and his aerials are slow making him pretty easy to combo.

well the thing about MK is that he had something no one else did, so i think it might be feasible now that everyone has combos and a decent approach MK is probably not too far ahead of everyone else. with that said, however, MK is still really freaking good.

dunno much about ZSS, but i don't see her getting any worse. the hitstun doesn't affect her lightning stuns though.

and peach is really really good now.
Didn't think of it that way. Guess since everyone has hitstun now snake is easily combed cause he is a big target.

About zss. Im know it don't affect plasma. But im logically thinking. With hitstun couldn't she do her normal a combo to down tilt to up air. But now with added histstun she should be able to combo more out of this and with her plasma it should be easy enough to keep a combo going. I'll just have to test it out myself but i have some great ideas in my mind for zss if what im thinking actually plays out. lol

And HELL YES FOR PEACH!

Lol but now im thinking about how cheap im going to be with diddy. I mean histstun along with nanner locking? Umm my friends is going to hate me. lol

D

Deleted member

nice, a 50+% combo for ZSS.

MK is still broken as f*** now, and maybe even more.

kupo15

Smash Hero
My lord!!! Thats exactly what i was thinking. Umm ok i think im about to start spamming brawl+
nice, a 50+% combo for ZSS.

MK is still broken as f*** now, and maybe even more.
lol thanks! Just keep in mind that was to a horrible DIing CPU with brawl's default hitstun. Im looking forward to those types of combos when hitlag mod comes out if your reaction is slow! This is exciting!! ^_^

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
Exactly what i was thinking. I think i actually might be scared of a mk with hitstun. lol
I actually beat my friends MK easier with hitstun on. Though i doubt this is a good representation of how good mk with hitstun is. I personally believe diddy kong is gonna **** now and no doubt has a better chance to take MK. But hey, if all else fails we can nerf the little demon kirby. :)

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
just a suggestion to you all who decide to put up vids.. put a link to the FAQ in the description! it gets more exposure than this thread, and people will come here curious!

Green'n'Clean

Smash Cadet
Is anyone working on some kind of combo collage or something to promote Brawl+?
Since what got me into smash was DBRs vids (Shined Blind in particular) that got me into smash, and Brawl+ has the flashiness that vanilla Brawl lacks, I'd suggest the Brawl+ community should make a combined effort to promote Brawl+ through competent, well put together videos.

This is really a bump in disguise, if anyone had made a new in the BGD, this thread would've fallen of the first page :S . Seriously needs moar exposure.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Since what got me into smash was DBRs vids (Shined Blind in particular) that got me into smash, and Brawl+ has the flashiness that vanilla Brawl lacks, I'd suggest the Brawl+ community should make a combined effort to promote Brawl+ through competent, well put together videos.

This is really a bump in disguise, if anyone had made a new in the BGD, this thread would've fallen of the first page :S . Seriously needs moar exposure.
I currently have one montage and working on another which should come this weekend and I know Osi has two I think.

Doho666

Smash Rookie
While I'm glad this fixes some things, I don't care for some of the other things like wave-dashing and any of those unintended glitches from melee. Which is why I'm glad you can choose what you want on or off.

D

Deleted member

MAD is actually unlikely to go into the standard or tournament set of brawl+

D

Deleted member

it's not that but it just feels wrong in brawl.
I would prefer a SBAD code.

Makkun

Smash Journeyman
it's not that but it just feels wrong in brawl.
I would prefer a SBAD code.
I also hope a SBAD code is made. I'm starting to realize MAD really doesn't fit in with Brawl+, even if it is a lot of fun to use. I mean, I really like wavedashing, but in its current state, it's sort of ridiculous.

Edit: Sorry, SHeLL, haha. x_x

Osi

Smash Ace

These are all combo videos I've posted using brawl+

Shadows - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijZoI3qE0_g

Cloud 9 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IfsKqWtDjw

Starlight - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfiDsnbVFVM

Rebirth - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DpFDYhoeuY&feature=related

Brawl+ montage - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B-0DzLJVHo&feature=related

These are only the first of many to come. Sorry for the bad editing on the first few. I was on WMM and it's too limited. I'm now using premiere, so expect more videos along the lines of "Shadows" to come.

kupo15

Smash Hero
These are all combo videos I've posted using brawl+

Shadows - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijZoI3qE0_g

Cloud 9 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IfsKqWtDjw

Starlight - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfiDsnbVFVM

Rebirth - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DpFDYhoeuY&feature=related

Brawl+ montage - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B-0DzLJVHo&feature=related

These are only the first of many to come. Sorry for the bad editing on the first few. I was on WMM and it's too limited. I'm now using premiere, so expect more videos along the lines of "Shadows" to come.
WMM is not terrible and its sufficient. Lol, I think we are montage rivals...I was able to resurrect all my 10% matches with G so I have some great falcon on ganon matches plus more material to add to my montage. Expect epic video's in a day or so!!!

Osi

Smash Ace
WMM is not terrible and its sufficient. Lol, I think we are montage rivals...I was able to resurrect all my 10% matches with G so I have some great falcon on ganon matches plus more material to add to my montage. Expect epic video's in a day or so!!!
It's enough to put clips together and minor edits. The clip/preview portion of it doesn't work all that well, the time line doesn't allow multiple videos to stack or much in the way of editing, and you can't slow down or speed up clips for editing like you can in slightly better programs. I'm not saying everyone needs premiere pro or anything, but even something cheaper like vegas is a bit more useful.

Looking forward to the montage Kupo.

kupo15

Smash Hero
It's enough to put clips together and minor edits. The clip/preview portion of it doesn't work all that well, the time line doesn't allow multiple videos to stack or much in the way of editing, and you can't slow down or speed up clips for editing like you can in slightly better programs. I'm not saying everyone needs premiere pro or anything, but even something cheaper like vegas is a bit more useful.

Looking forward to the montage Kupo.
Thats true. Its hard to sync things also. Wax (Free) or premiere elements (i have that ) is good

Osi

Smash Ace
Thats true. Its hard to sync things also. Wax (Free) or premiere elements (i have that ) is good
My video shadows was on elements. I've now switched over to full premiere, but elements has easily enough to make a good video. The time lines on elements work nice.

shanus

Smash Hero
Its not just that though. The editting of the clips needs to be very tight. Most people leave way too much of a window in their clips making it slow and boring. Also, good music / syncing greatly helps.

zxeon

Smash Lord
I also hope a SBAD code is made. I'm starting to realize MAD really doesn't fit in with Brawl+, even if it is a lot of fun to use. I mean, I really like wavedashing, but in its current state, it's sort of ridiculous.

Edit: Sorry, SHeLL, haha. x_x
Have you tried wavedashing without the buffer? It's rediculously hard I'd like to see how many times someone could stack that.

**** I'm getting off topic.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
You should put Ness' dair to pkt2 combo in a brawl+ combo video montage. Each character should get one combo lol.

Top Bottom