• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When did you realise you didn't like Brawl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MFZ95

Smash Journeyman
Melee was a classic and Brawl is a hit! I like classic games and well Melee was made 7 years ago and that counts as a classic game,what made that game memorable and great was how it looked back on the n64 generation,now Brawl is all about DS titles and relating to fewer gamecube titles. I kinda goes like this, SSB looked back on the SNES/NES generation(not that much) and Melee look back on the N64 and so Brawl had taken a peak on the GC generation but i will predict that SSB4 will look back on the Wii generation,thus adding more Wii elements to it,now dont go all ''WHAT ABOUT LINK IN BRAWL?HES MODELED AFTER THE TWILIGHT PRINCESS LOOK!'' or ''what about the Wii music on Brawl?'' i know all that,but i'm saying is the main focus on trophies and stages are mostly Gamecubed ....MOSTLY! Look at Mario! he has FLUDD with him, dosent that remind you of GC?

R.Y.N.O

Smash Journeyman
Professor Pro:

1. I gather information through experience. From these, Q's are formed. It's obvious you are a Melee player. Imagine asking a N00B, what is L-Canceling. You don't plan to ask the question beforehand. It comes to mind and you use it against them.

2. In your opinion, Brawl sucks. Don't state your opinion as fact. State it as, well, your opinion. That's all.

3. My friends don't suck. Unless you have evidence, then I will believe you. Give me solid proof that my friends and I suck. And don't say something baseless like "cause they like Brawl."

4. I was mistaken at this point. I misinterpreted what they were saying.

5. Yes I do.

6. Not for me to say. She's my sister and i don't look at her that way.

Truly, you lean more towards those against me. Most likely because it appeared I opposed you. I also began an argument in your thread. Hope their are no hard feelings. (Although that appears to be the case):urg::urg:

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Professor Pro:

1. I gather information through experience. From these, Q's are formed. It's obvious you are a Melee player. Imagine asking a N00B, what is L-Canceling. You don't plan to ask the question beforehand. It comes to mind and you use it against them.

2. In your opinion, Brawl sucks. Don't state your opinion as fact. State it as, well, your opinion. That's all.

3. My friends don't suck. Unless you have evidence, then I will believe you. Give me solid proof that my friends and I suck. And don't say something baseless like "cause they like Brawl."

4. I was mistaken at this point. I misinterpreted what they were saying.

5. Yes I do.

6. Not for me to say. She's my sister and i don't look at her that way.

Truly, you lean more towards those against me. Most likely because it appeared I opposed you. I also began an argument in your thread. Hope their are no hard feelings. (Although that appears to be the case):urg::urg:
You still haven't told me what combos you have done and what you meant by that heat of the moment bit.... I collected my evidence to see if your friends sucked and it turns out you didn't have any friends anyway.
I only am against you because of some of the rubbish you previously have spoken, don't really care that its my thread lol loads of arguements happen. There are no hard feelings.
Oh yeah and just because people say 'Brawl sucks' it doesn't mean that they are saying its a fact, people dont need to say 'in my opinion' at the end of everything just so people know, sometimes people should just you their general knowledge or NOT CARE.

game set

Smash Apprentice
when i realised this:

the game has an amazing balance of the usefulness of your mind game and tech game, so you can play and win or lose however the **** you want. The amount of options makes the game feel like an extension of your mind, i no longer have to think when i play, in fact i play much much better by simply looking and the screen and subconsciously moving my fingers.

this just isn't so in brawl, it lost the balance of mind and tech that made me play melee. From character to character you have to change how you think to play, for some characters you can play with as much mind as a computer, but as long as you know a simple tech your ability to win is unproportionately increased. On the other hand, some characters like can be played like melee. but they are alot slower. after playing this game for awhile i began to think that someone had purposely tried to sabotage the competitive scene. the only reason i bought a wii was so i could play brawl online, but i've sold both my wii and brawl disc because i would much rather play melee than have a few nice things like a crappy online service. im not saying brawl is necesarily a worse game than melee, only that imo its a worse competitive game.

i could keep going on if anybody cares but right now im going to go play melee

ps. in metroid starfox zelda mario games and ect. have you ever seen the characters trip???? wtf are they tripping over anyway? randomness has no place in any competitive game. pm me if you disagree

Fletch

Smash Master
when i realised this:

the game has an amazing balance of the usefulness of your mind game and tech game, so you can play and win or lose however the **** you want. The amount of options makes the game feel like an extension of your mind, i no longer have to think when i play, in fact i play much much better by simply looking and the screen and subconsciously moving my fingers.

this just isn't so in brawl, it lost the balance of mind and tech that made me play melee. From character to character you have to change how you think to play, for some characters you can play with as much mind as a computer, but as long as you know a simple tech your ability to win is unproportionately increased. On the other hand, some characters like can be played like melee. but they are alot slower. after playing this game for awhile i began to think that someone had purposely tried to sabotage the competitive scene. the only reason i bought a wii was so i could play brawl online, but i've sold both my wii and brawl disc because i would much rather play melee than have a few nice things like a crappy online service. im not saying brawl is necesarily a worse game than melee, only that imo its a worse competitive game.

ps. in metroid starfox zelda mario games and ect. have you ever seen the characters trip???? wtf are they tripping over anyway? randomness has no place in any competitive game. pm me if you disagree
This is a big one for me. Even if you disagree with all the reasons that Brawl is a vastly inferior game, you can still claim that tripping completely ruins it, and no pro-Brawl player can defend that.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Also R.Y.N.O. I like to pont out that while a lot of people do state their opinion as fact on these boards, in this case when someone states brawl sucks... it is fact. because when they say that..usually they dont wanna go through the ridiculous explanation of why. so they simply say to people asking questions "Because it sucks, please go away"

when i realised this:

That is such a good way to put it. But I gotta say. selling wii = mistake cause now your gonna miss out on The Conduit Also watch those videos. people on the e3 show floor thought it was a 360 title when they passed by. I just HAD to mention the Conduit caused I haven't been this excited for a game since Twilight princess.

game set

Smash Apprentice
That is such a good way to put it. But I gotta say. selling wii = mistake cause now your gonna miss out on The Conduit Also watch those videos. people on the e3 show floor thought it was a 360 title when they passed by. I just HAD to mention the Conduit caused I haven't been this excited for a game since Twilight princess.
the more money i have the more melee tournaments i can make it to.

chikinw00t

Smash Rookie
It was when I realized they replaced Roy with Ike.

R.I.P.

I don't much have a problem with anything else though. But that's cause I don't own the game, only saw it at my friend's house.

R.Y.N.O

Smash Journeyman
Yes, I do have friends. In grades below me to above me. When I say heat of the moment I am talking about combos that just happen. e.g. One day, when i was playing as Meta Knight, I was able to link one bair -> two uairs -> another bair -> up-b. I guess when I think about it, the combo was sort of situational. Maybe if I had taken the time to experiment with it, it could have become a real combo. But that is a BIG maybe. I hope I have clarified myself.

Grunt

Smash Master
**** the Conduit.
Im more hyped for Megaman 9
RETRO MEGAMAN *****ESZZZ!
Those were the only good ones.
1-6

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
I don't think Brawl is horrible. There are a few things that I didn't like about Brawl such as tripping(why on earth would anyone put that in, just stupid in my opinion) and the fact that they took Roy and Mewtwo out of the game. Also the game has a lack of combos. I always liked the combos in Melee. I also hate the smash ball. Despite all of that I still have fun playing the game especially since I play against my friends a lot on wifi.

Leech

Smash Journeyman
I've Played brawl twice and its not that good.. its not too bad i mean ill play it sometimes if my friends really want me too.. but i dont have a wii and im not getting one because my friends do.. i like the n64 one better.. Melee then Smash then Brawl.. in that order.. brawl is okay if ur friends dont want to play melee but i never got past playing 4 matches in a row.. it gets so boring and it pisses me off that they took out a lot of techs and changed my mains..

Orange5000

Smash Rookie
When i realized the whole smashball thing, i thought right away "This is going to be a slow party game, of who can spam the c-stick first, or who can get the smash ball. Thats it. Though the game looks beautiful in every way.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Yes, I do have friends. In grades below me to above me. When I say heat of the moment I am talking about combos that just happen. e.g. One day, when i was playing as Meta Knight, I was able to link one bair -> two uairs -> another bair -> up-b. I guess when I think about it, the combo was sort of situational. Maybe if I had taken the time to experiment with it, it could have become a real combo. But that is a BIG maybe. I hope I have clarified myself.
Ok, I believe you. You obviously are amazing. (in a sarcastic voice)

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
I've already woall-of-texted SWF many times about the horrors of Brawl, so to answer question:

I realized I didn't like Brawl when-

1) I played as Falco, then Marth, then Peach, then Jiggs!?!?!!??
2) I played AGAINST Lucario, DDD, Pikachu, MK
3) I saw top tourney videos of Brawl and said: "wow, i should commit time to this game because???"
4) I realized it was destroying the Melee scene in my area and generally around the country. That's bull****.

Zodiac

Smash Master
I've already woall-of-texted SWF many times about the horrors of Brawl, so to answer question:

I realized I didn't like Brawl when-

1) I played as Falco, then Marth, then Peach, then Jiggs!?!?!!??
2) I played AGAINST Lucario, DDD, Pikachu, MK
3) I saw top tourney videos of Brawl and said: "wow, i should commit time to this game because???"
4) I realized it was destroying the Melee scene in my area and generally around the country. That's bull****.
truth, thats more less how I realized I didnt like it.

R.Y.N.O

Smash Journeyman
Ok, I believe you. You obviously are amazing. (in a sarcastic voice)
Not sure why you were sarcastic. Seemed sort of uneccesary. If it was just to be mean or to pick a fight or something, i guess that can't be helped.:ohwell:

Burning Lava

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, it's good to see there are plenty of other people not brainwashed by Brawl. So sad... I love alot of the new characters... but it's just not that fun. I too agree with that Crystalnite quote, especially 3. Why commit time and energy, when it's not an exciting fighter? It's a well crafted piece of software in many, even most ways, but it's... not fun. It's relaxing... something to veg out to, but not fun. (Obviously I'm being a bit hard on it because I'm comparing it to Melee, the greatest fighter ever, but compared to many other video games in general Brawl is pretty good.)

I need to start smash festing with peeps in my area again. (with Melee of course)

Ugh, *sigh* I just fear we may never see anything like the good old days of Melee again. That excitement in the air, the strong sense of community, and loyalty... I just hope the remainder of the Melee community holds together enough to continue on. I've been kind of out of the loop, I need to find out if there are still major Melee tourneys going on or anything.

R.Y.N.O

Smash Journeyman
Even compared to other fighters, Brawl pales in comparison. Melee is up there with games like Tekken and Street Fighter in every which way. Brawl is somewhere in between Mario Party 8 and Wario Ware Smooth Moves. (which were both good games, just not competitively)

BiggoronLink

Smash Rookie
when my gf's 13 year old brother and his 12 year old friends beat me with Pit, after being one of the best in the area for soo long

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
I've played against several people online and my combos have worked. Against both people i've won against and people i've lost against. A combo is made up of consecutive hits. apparently my combos work.
When I first started brawl, I thought I had combos. I had this thing with ZSS where I would: Dash attack > Utilt > UpB > DownSmash > Downsmash > Grab > Dthrow > Uair. It worked ALL THE TIME on people online. Then I tried it on a DeDeDe at my first brawl tournament. He airdodged the upB, then fell down, chaingrabbed me across the stage, then gimped my tether recovery.

That was another moment that contributed to my realization that I didn't like brawl...

btw: What things separate good players from bad. In any general fighting game.
Technical Skill
Mindgames
Tactics
Spacing

I have taken out hundreds of Brawlers on strategy ALONE. I COULD NOT DO THAT IN MELEE!!
That would be because in melee you need more than just strategy, you need the tech skills and spacing to back it up. Brawl doesn't have more strategy, it's just it doesn't have more than strategy XD.

Also, Brawl's strategy would also be lacking. I don't think anyone would argue with "more options = more strategy", and I don't think anyone would argue that brawl has more options than melee, so I guess no one can argue that brawl has more strategy than melee now can they? Anyway, brawl has barely any edgeguarding or combos, so I'd say it has a bunch less strategy.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
LOL I find it extremely funny how random people have come along in brawl and beat people that were decent at brawl. Talk about low depth lool.
LOL I played a week of brawl last week and decided to enter a tournament.

I placed 5th in my first brawl tournament beating players that played for MONTHS.

Apparently since I played MK and Dedede I can auto win some games >_>.

Alphabravo

Smash Ace
I was first excited about Brawl when Gimpyfish made his impressions thread. Even though the game lost wavedashing, there were still techs such as dashdancing, SH to FF aerials (sort of like L-canceling), and HIT STUN?!

But when the game finally came out they took all of that away. That's when I decided I didn't like Brawl. It's too shallow. No hit stun=no combos. No combos=boring game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom