• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When did you realise you didn't like Brawl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miharu

Smash Hero
I just like seeing how far he will go. I actually deal with worse posters on a different board.

Talk to me with reason and you will get reason in response. Talk to me in the way he has and I give you junk.
In other words, you're never for setting an example that's to be followed; you'd rather be as childish and immature as possible, under the pretense of "he started it."

Nice to know what I'm dealing with.

LoyalSoldier

Smash Apprentice
In other words, you're never for setting an example that's to be followed; you'd rather be as childish and immature as possible, under the pretense of "he started it."

Injecting quite a bit into my post aren't you?

I actually do it more just to know what to expect in the future. Sometimes the people who act like idiots aren't always idiots, but you never know so the only way to find out is to see his response to several different posts. So by seeing how far he will go gives me a clue if I need to respond to his posts in the future.

Don't worry I know when enough is enough.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
The thing is, the most active community members (carried over from melee) don't actually dislike brawl. Those that organize large tournaments, those that place well in them. I'm not really sure why, but the brawl scene is thriving with the full support of the top players and veterans and only looks to grow.

Granted, I haven't actually been to a brawl tournament as I personally wrote the game off as boring, and I can't get excited about watching brawl tournaments on youtube, but is there actually some merit to this game (just based on the fact that it has completely replaced melee among the people that matter?)

puckgood

Smash Journeyman
Why do you care, stalker? Don't make me sic the po
Eventually, Melee will die out. It's inevitable. Brawl will as well. Eventually, the technology that they use will be obsolete, and people will be playing holographic games intstead. However, I think that melee will last quite a while longer. Maybe not as long as Space Invaders, which survived simply because of the memories that people had of always playing that and nothing else, but still a while. Brawl will be popular for quite a while, but probably for just amusement rather than in tourneys, unless someone discovers AT's in brawl that willl boost the competitive scene for it, just like shffling and wavedashing did for melee. This says the oracle.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
When I saw the 1st trailer unveiled at E3 in May of 2005. I immediately saw that it had huge problems, like, for instance, the huge freeze frames on everything. And I knew that if Sakurai thought making the game more freeze framy was a good thing, then Brawl would have lots of unwanted additions.

Of course, back then, it was just minor reservations. I was still hoping for a good game. Then the demo was released...

The thing is, the most active community members (carried over from melee) don't actually dislike brawl. Those that organize large tournaments, those that place well in them. I'm not really sure why, but the brawl scene is thriving with the full support of the top players and veterans and only looks to grow.
Isn't it obvious as to why? Those who really loathe the game wouldn't make the transition from Melee to Brawl. Also, where do you get your statistics? A lot of Melee-to-Brawlers tolerate Brawl. We still think Melee is better and we dislike a lot of things about Brawl. But since so many people want Brawl to replace Melee, we're begrundgingly playing Brawl.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Which i why I hate the whole situation. If people weren't so fanatic about Brawl, I wouldn't have a problem with it. But telling me to move on just won't work. I have my mind set; I'm playing Melee. I want to find other people, but they seemed to have been fragmented too. Across the nation, there are few splotches of people playing Melee left. A dieing breed. Maybe I have to **** more people to make the breed continue... oh wait, it doesn't work like that.

It also seems like the AZ scene, the place I am now, and the WV scene, where I use to be from, have fully died. There is nothing left. In order to do anything Melee related, I have to travel out of state... many states away. I can only guess what it is like for people outside the US. This is pitiful.

Amide

Smash Lord
Eventually, Melee will die out. It's inevitable. Brawl will as well. Eventually, the technology that they use will be obsolete, and people will be playing holographic games intstead. However, I think that melee will last quite a while longer. Maybe not as long as Space Invaders, which survived simply because of the memories that people had of always playing that and nothing else, but still a while. Brawl will be popular for quite a while, but probably for just amusement rather than in tourneys, unless someone discovers AT's in brawl that willl boost the competitive scene for it, just like shffling and wavedashing did for melee. This says the oracle.
Well, I think the Smash series will last for a long time. But I really hope the technology improves. On learning ATs for brawl, it's likely that more ATs will be found for Melee in the next couple years than Brawl. Seriously.

Winston

Smash Master
Isn't it obvious as to why? Those who really loathe the game wouldn't make the transition from Melee to Brawl. Also, where do you get your statistics? A lot of Melee-to-Brawlers tolerate Brawl. We still think Melee is better and we dislike a lot of things about Brawl. But since so many people want Brawl to replace Melee, we're begrundgingly playing Brawl.
How is that relevant to what I'm saying? I don't have any statistics, it's true. I don't think you can deny the state of things, though. What I'm saying is that the prosperous MD/VA melee community has almost entirely moved on to brawl; I know this just from checking the tournament threads and seeing familiar names. Judging by the utter lack of melee tournament postings, I'm guessing it's the same elsewhere (at least in the US).

The most active players, the regular tourney-goers, are mostly transitioned from melee. Among them, the ones that merely "tolerate" brawl must be in the minority, as you implied yourself.

I'm pro-melee myself. The reason I brought up this line of conversation is I'm baffled at how vocal the anti-brawl sector is, while there's basically no activity to show for it, and the brawl scene picks up steam despite the many supposed flaws of the game.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Which shouldn't happen. It's a case of "going with the flow" and it's dumb. I'm not saying to go buy clothes at Hot Topic or anything, but consider if you are doing things for yourself, or because everyone else is doing it. Are you playing Brawl because you truly like it, or because the majority moved on? If the latter is true, then I pity you... tha foo.

Zodiac

Smash Master
I don't even own brawl, so that tells you how little I seriously care.
I almost sold it but then my machinima started getting popular so I held onto it for that purpose. If I had sold it though, I would have not regretted it in the slightest.

yuki

Smash Apprentice
My main problem with brawl is that the first time I played it after 2 games of figuring out how to play Pit I owned the living daylights out of everyone there.
It just feels like were melee was a game of practice to become perfect Brawl is made to be accessible, something you can just take to your local party and have fun with for an hour.
And of course I miss the advanced battle techniques and mindgame possibilities Melee had.
Oh yeah the majority of brawl stages SUCK as well...

Professor Pro

Smash Legend

I agree with this post about him. Seems like he goes around to different forums trying to cause trouble looool, kinda sad. Ohhh well, I already won the dispute so everything is ok.

When I saw the 1st trailer unveiled at E3 in May of 2005. I immediately saw that it had huge problems, like, for instance, the huge freeze frames on everything. And I knew that if Sakurai thought making the game more freeze framy was a good thing, then Brawl would have lots of unwanted additions.
I thought when I saw the demo they were just playing it very slow but when I looked at it again I could see the game was just slow, I should have known from then....

Proud_Smash_N00b

Smash Ace
I hated Brawl the first time I played it, before I knew that CF was nerfed and you couldnt L-Cancel..

But now, I think Im starting to like it because now, I actually know what I can do and where to go in Brawl. There is still a lot for me to explore and experiment in Brawl. All of that experimenting and exploring in Melee is already done. I must be going insane, I need a good Melee moment to restore my sanity.

hova

Smash Champion
i like brawl. i think most people play brawl because it's fun to figure out new **** and new strats. people were still learning new things in melee, but a lot of people were just copying combos from top players and it was getting ridiculous. one of Neo's reasons for moving on was because he was tired of mindless 0-death combos

the intial metagame of brawl was trash and i'll admit that, but it was only trash compared to the developed melee metagame. i'm guessing figuring out melee from scratch wasn't very much fun for die hard 64 fans

in my area people are steadily improving and developing new tricks (especially neo's marth and azen's lucario)

and losing to scrubs early on definitely sucked, but we absolutely destroy noobs now regards of what characters they play. i beat MKs and Snakes with Peach all day

melee is tight and i don't blame people for sticking with it, but some of these posts are just ******** and ignorant. someone said they mastered five characters in 2 hours. give me a break

i understand favoring melee, but hating a game you haven't fully explored is a bit scrubby...

*waits for 'it only takes one day to fully explore brawl' jokes*

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Just a question here; what was the reaction to melee when it came out? And how long did it take to find AT's? It's possible that brawl will have the equivalent of shffling and so on, right?
I do not believe in the evolution argument at all anymore. When melee came out, we had no idea what to be looking for, really. There were some things in Smash 64, but for the most part we were pretty naive to what we had, and people kept discovering things and it didn't take miraculously long to make advances.

The thing is, now we know what to look for. We have a bigger community, many more people testing and pushing the game to the limits.

otg

Smash Master
Just a question here; what was the reaction to melee when it came out? And how long did it take to find AT's? It's possible that brawl will have the equivalent of shffling and so on, right?
L cancelling was known in the 64 days as Z cancelling (used the Z button) and wavedashing was discovered within the first few months of Melee's release, but both of there practical applications weren't pushed to there limits right away. Wavedashing was known about by developers and is a result to the physics engine: air dodge into the ground = landfallspecial.

Zodiac

Smash Master
i like brawl. i think most people play brawl because it's fun to figure out new **** and new strats. people were still learning new things in melee, but a lot of people were just copying combos from top players and it was getting ridiculous. one of Neo's reasons for moving on was because he was tired of mindless 0-death combos
- in melee given the correct skill you can di/mindgame out of those. And yea, part of the reason I still play brawl every now and then is because is fun to figure out new stuff.[/QUOTE]

the intial metagame of brawl was trash and i'll admit that, but it was only trash compared to the developed melee metagame. i'm guessing figuring out melee from scratch wasn't very much fun for die hard 64 fans
Its still trash, its grown a lot but its still trash compared to melee and 64, it has nothing overly useful that isnt a character specific technique
I doubt it was any fun at all, but melee had promise from the minute you picked up the game, brawl did not.

in my area people are steadily improving and developing new tricks (especially neo's marth and azen's lucario)
A.K.A. their coming up with new gimp strategies.

and losing to scrubs early on definitely sucked, but we absolutely destroy noobs now regards of what characters they play. i beat MKs and Snakes with Peach all day
MK's still give me hella trouble, mostly because I dont practice brawl enough to keep my spacing consistent, Snake isnt much trouble for me anymore because I've found out how to counter him. Personally I see fighting snake as fighting with proximity mines and ba-bombs on.(mines and gernades)

melee is tight and i don't blame people for sticking with it, but some of these posts are just ******** and ignorant. someone said they mastered five characters in 2 hours. give me a break
yea thats pure bull**** on their part, I've been playing samus for like a month in brawl and I've practiced with only her and I still have a ways to go to "master" samus, of course thats only about a quarter as far as I would go while mastering pichu in melee.

i understand favoring melee, but hating a game you haven't fully explored is a bit scrubby...

Brawl only sucks when you compare to melee or 64, otherwise its fine.

...It only takes watching the e3 trailer to fully explore brawl..../joke

pieisamazing

Smash Cadet
All i can say is stfu.... Do u have a right to talk anywhere in this forum when u say u got bored of the game and u now come bak wit an opinion? shut up an get on the brawl forums.. I mean honestly ppl like u are ********, u obv. dont know **** esp. when u talk about a mid tier needin to get nerf. But ur a prime example of ppl who cant play melees technical playstyle and needed it nubbed up so u could stand a little of a chance. And the bad part is u still fail at both games so shut up an delete ur account
Every time I read one of this guy's posts I laugh at how much he owns the guy he's quoting. Or how true what he says is. Or both.

Oh, and, yes, Brawl is a horrific distortion SSB, purposely made this way to encourage more noobs to play. You've all posted this same thing already, but I'd just like to add another tally to the side that supports the superior game (i.e., Melee, in case you couldn't figure it out).

EDIT: That IGN video was atrocious. How can they have such ignorant and uninformed "gamers" comment on a game which they know nothing about? The imbecile on the left played each of the games in a couple weeks to "prep for this review." What the ****?

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Hova discovered a new advanced technique in Brawl!

The Namedrop!

Azen is IN HIS AREA. You better recognize.

[/snobby sass.]

Winston

Smash Master

hova's right, brawl is not trash. Brawl has depth. People exaggerate too much.

It's just not fun to many melee players...

LoyalSoldier

Smash Apprentice
hova's right, brawl is not trash. Brawl has depth. People exaggerate too much.

It's just not fun to many melee players...
I just look at it like varsity basketball and a pickup game. Sure one is better than the other, but they are both still fun. I still like playing Brawl and I still think Melee is a great game for competition.

puckgood

Smash Journeyman
Why do you care, stalker? Don't make me sic the po
I find it very easy to get sick of Brawl, once I've unlocked everything (except the music) and so on. When I play melee, however, it is more difficult, because even if I'm alone I know I can try to learn how to wavedash, and tech and so on. Practicing in melee, while not being fun all the time, gives you a feeling of, "wow, I've accomplished something that will make me a better player in the long run." With Brawl, practicing isn't as efficient. yes, you can get better at things, but without the variety, it's very shallow to me right now. Also the wifi ticks me off: making a slow game slower is a bad thing-- not that it's their fault, a game like brawl will always lag on the net. I enjoy playing brawl, but it doesn't quench my thirst for competitiveness. It's just too laid back for many gamers. Still a good game though.

Has anyone looked at the title recently? Lolol. I like the fact that we've gotten off subject, though; it makes it more fun.

IShotLazer

Smash Journeyman
I realized I didn't like brawl when I couldn't show people my moves.
Brawl is a good game, don't get me wrong BUT when compared to melee it is rather dull, lackluster and well much more shallow and boring. Yes this is a blanket statement, I don't care what you think, this is an opinion based question anyway, get over it.
Also to an earlier comment, sometimes you have to go with the flow. If the river is too powerful it become inevitable to be swept up at some point. I'm not saying conform to everything, but I am saying that a lot of what other people do dictate our own actions. A VERY VAST majority wouldn't bother playing melee if there wasn't a large crowd doing it elsewhere simply because you feel like you are getting nothing done, why train? That's why a large majority of the players play Brawl.
I don't, at all and sound like a hypocrite but I believe my situation to be different because I have a large majority of friends in my local area to support melee still oh, well -.-. However if I didn't I'd probably be playing Brawl... Sadly T_T

Cerrus

Smash Cadet
It was strange actually. I was convinced that Brawl was better/just as good. But when I didnt play it for about 2 months and then I was just as good as I was 2 months ago, thats when I knew that something was wrong

i believe brawl can be fun if you are looking just to have a fun fight between you and a couple friends. However, if you and your friend want an intense match you need Melee. Brawl doesnt provide that.

MisterMoo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aaron_Rodgerz
Hmmmm I like Melee over Brawl, But I don't Dislike Brawl =O

Brawl is SLOOOOOW, and that's why I like Melee more =O

British Geezer

Smash Cadet
Brawl reminds me of Smash 64. They're both very strong and fun games that pale in comparison to Melee. Both also seem party-oriented and fun-oriented.

The_Smash_Champ

Banned via Warnings

Granted, I haven't actually been to a brawl tournament as I personally wrote the game off as boring, and I can't get excited about watching brawl tournaments on youtube, but is there actually some merit to this game (just based on the fact that it has completely replaced melee among the people that matter?)
Wow , stop saying most people transitioned to brawl because thats false, most brawl players i met are new to the whole thing and many actually hate melee. Brawl is shallow and is a disgrace to what smash was all about. I went back to melee 2 weeks after intensive brawl playing. A guy who just picked up the game, never went to tournies and never learned anything was able to almost beat me, i practiced but nothing helped, i had reached the characters limit in 2 weeks. The game is just wrong, and went back to melee, but wait, all these noobs destroyed the game, so now i had 2 choices-> Move on to brawl after 4 years of competitive melee or to quit. I quit, i couldnt stand seeing people lie to themselfs about this game, its horrible. Anyone who likes brawl seriously has not played a gae metaknight, spamming snakes, camping falcos and other gae thinbgs this game has. Its so easy to chain grab its not even fun anymore.

This game is a mess. Currently im playing a game called gunz on the pc, a competitive game, takes years to become pro, trust me, played for 5 months straight and i get better every month by a lot, kinda like melee was. Hell, pokemon has more skill than this crap. Currently i havent played brawl for 4 months, and i dont intend too. I come back to these forums every 3 weeks to check how its going, too see if brawl is still thriving. This site turned into Noobsboard, i dont curse much but this is just the worst sh*t that can ever happen to a seires. Thankyou nintendo for destroying your most competitive game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom