• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When did you realise you didn't like Brawl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AetherLord

Smash Journeyman
Pretty much the first week i played it...i was so hyped for the game and i was vastly dissapointed...they reshaped everything about the game and just killed it...i still play brawl but its beginning to become a drag and is making me edge toward playing melee alot more again...

Way to go, Sakurai....

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
When I realized that there was basically no possibility for creating combos and that the few combos that do exist in the game (like sheiks semi infinite forward tilt on fast fallers, that **** is lmao) are really gay and stupid

otg

Smash Master
When I realized that there was basically no possibility for creating combos and that the few combos that do exist in the game (like sheiks semi infinite forward tilt on fast fallers, that **** is lmao) are really gay and stupid
So true, the combos in Brawl are really sad. Brawlers say "the game is still fresh and we haven't discovered everything yet", but you can't change a bad physics engine with ZERO hit stun. There are thousands of people trying to discover new things all the time. I sincerely doubt, that we will discover something game breaking that allows this game to be worthy of competitive play.

All the "Dial-a-combos" in this game are like "hold left or right, now hit A as fast as possible!"

Wrath`

Smash Master
when I relized that even thought it is a great game, smash will dissaper anyway, no matter how hard both sides will try, brawl will die out with in the year, melee wont get enough support again. sakura screwed us, but still what is there to be done? melee was good but got boring after 7 years, even if we go back it ill get boring again, and dethh will loom on the scene .

Miharu

Smash Hero
when I relized that even thought it is a great game, smash will dissaper anyway, no matter how hard both sides will try, brawl will die out with in the year, melee wont get enough support again. sakura screwed us, but still what is there to be done? melee was good but got boring after 7 years, even if we go back it ill get boring again, and dethh will loom on the scene .
Melee isn't boring.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Melee isn't boring.
This. I played Melee until the day Brawl came out, and then I began playing it again once I realized Brawl was awful. Melee wins, Brawl fails.

Speaking of, I realized Brawl failed a little while after I joined these boards, a month and a half after the game came out. When I first joined these boards, I was all pro-Brawl. I thought anyone who would go back to Melee was a moron. I was wrong. Eventually, the arguments against Brawl were more convincing and those for Brawl stopped making sense. Finally, I realized that Brawl is what happens to great franchises when they're geared towards casual gamers. Tripping, crappy stages (Whether or not they looked nice, they had god-awful hazards), repetitive Adventure, Classic, and All-Star modes, characters got nerfed who didn't need to be nerfed, characters who needed to be nerfed got buffed...the list goes on.

Another deciding factor was Samus's nerfing. She was good in Melee, but not that good. She got nerfed to low-bottom tier for no good reason. I used to main her, and whenever I play Brawl once every month when I have a friend over who still likes the game, I still play as her. So I'm extremely offended by that.

Overall, Brawl fails. Sakurai is a complete and utter fool. I am also a fool for wasting eight months of my life, which I will never get back, speculating about and anticipating the greatest disappointment in the history of forever.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
I hope Melee will live on for a long time, and I do think it's possible, I mean people kept playing the old street fighter games for years and years after they got outdated (and still are, although SF3 seems to be the most common now... but wait that game is also old now lol. People still play it)
(please note that I have no actual knowledge of the SF community, if there was something wrong in the few statements I made please correct me)

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
Can you say emo, or scene? O_o

smasher32

Smash Journeyman
While I do acknowledge that Melee is a vastly superior game, I am still favorable to Brawl.

It is still possible that a unique meta-game for Brawl will develop, but as of right now (and probably for a good while), camping is the way to go :urg:. I try to counteract this by going purely offensive (and playing smart obviously). Sure, it doesn't always work and I won't ever be getting first place in any regional tournament, but I refuse to degrade myself to such an annoying tactic.

On another note, there are only 2 thing that really bother me about Brawl:
1) Removal of L-cancel; why remove such a nice tradition that's been in the other two games?
2) Tripping; lol, 'nuff said.

I can deal with everything else (changed dodge mechanic, no hit stun, slower speed, etc), even if it makes the game overall more simplistic.

The Fail Tracer

The Universal Cosmic Tracer
3DS FC
2337-5641-4371
When I realized I needed to get better at a more competitive game, and I had MUCH better memories with Melee anyways.

Also, Brawl is way too easy. Even I was able to clear Boss Battles on Intense (Which you can't continue on, by the way).

~rh

Smash Lord
When my character was gliding after I pushed the jump button...

Miharu

Smash Hero
It is still possible that a unique meta-game for Brawl will develop, but as of right now (and probably for a good while), camping is the way to go :urg:. I try to counteract this by going purely offensive (and playing smart obviously). Sure, it doesn't always work and I won't ever be getting first place in any regional tournament, but I refuse to degrade myself to such an annoying tactic.
Nitpicking, I know, but refusing to play by the "best available method" is essentially handicapping yourself, and therefore can't be constituted as "playing smart."

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
when i realized that kirby's matchups vs the top tiers in brawl were roughly as winnable as his matchups vs the top tiers in melee.

Miharu

Smash Hero
when i realized that kirby's matchups vs the top tiers in brawl were roughly as winnable as his matchups vs the top tiers in melee.
And that's why my name isn't Hydro Kirby anymore.

Oh, and that's why I kinda gave up on using Kirby after playing Melee for 1 week.

Frames

DI
when i saw the title come up, but no announcer said "super smash bros. brawl". i understand he was too ashamed to say it, but still, i liked that from 64 and melee.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
And that's why my name isn't Hydro Kirby anymore.

Oh, and that's why I kinda gave up on using Kirby after playing Melee for 1 week.
although it sort of pains me, after smash 64 it's clear that sakurai is ashamed of his creation and wants kirby to be nothing more but a decoration on the character select screen.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Brawl is not tournament worthy. I went round my friends house and we were playing brawl, I thought I should play it again since I hadn't tried it for months and maybe I would see a different view, but seriously I don't know how people could play that game for long.... it was incredibly boring and I found myself becoming proud when I teched as there nothingelse really impressive to do in that game.

LinkSceptile333

Smash Journeyman
Well, in my opinion, Brawl doesn't suck. Why, you ask? Well:

Wavedashing and L-Cancelling was never meant to be put in Melee and were found in as a "glitch" I guess you could call it. Some of you might say Melee was better competitively. I have to agree with you on that, mostly because they took out Wavedashing and L-Cancelling out of Brawl. This proves my next point. I AM GLAD THEY TOOK OUT WAVEDASHING AND L-CANCELLING OUT OF BRAWL. Why? Because they were never meant to be in Brawl, so it should do little taking it out of the game, and if you really are as competitive and good as most people say, you should win without them, right?

NeBz

Smash Journeyman

Wavedashing and L-Cancelling was never meant to be put in Melee and were found in as a "glitch" I guess you could call it. Some of you might say Melee was better competitively. I have to agree with you on that, mostly because they took out Wavedashing and L-Cancelling out of Brawl. This proves my next point. I AM GLAD THEY TOOK OUT WAVEDASHING AND L-CANCELLING OUT OF BRAWL. Why? Because they were never meant to be in Brawl, so it should do little taking it out of the game, and if you really are as competitive and good as most people say, you should win without them, right?
What if it wasn't meant? Why does it's removal considered bad?
And yeah. We could win without it. But it wouldn't be as fun.

Do we have to go through the glitch thing again. Seriously?

Leech

Smash Journeyman
never played.. but it doesn't seem that bad.. i don't think i will hate brawl.. just not like it as much as melee.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend

I'm getting tired of you new people coming around with your lack of knowledge on the subjecty sayin that L-Cancelling and Wavedashing is a glitch. For starters there was L-cancelling in 64 but I think it was done with the Z button back then. Wavedashing was known in the game and was called somethingelse by the people who made the game and I think this was figured out by someone who went on the debug mode.

'Contrary to popular belief, wavedashing is not a glitch, but instead is a necessary byproduct of the game's air dodge mechanics, included to account for instances in which a character's model could air dodge "through the floor" if the game's engine had no mechanism for land fall. The competitive community has thoroughly explored the applications of wavedashing in a match setting and its widely varying uses in modern tournament situations are clearly beyond what was intended during development. '

taken from here http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Wavedash

You were obviously someone who was not capable of performing any of the advanced techniques.... have fun rolling and spot dodging.

LinkSceptile333

Smash Journeyman
its widely varying uses in modern tournament situations are clearly beyond what was intended during development.
OK, you proved it's not a glitch, yet it remains something that was not intended, so it still should not be a big deal to take it out. It's like the Black Hole Glitch. Although fun, it wasn't intended, so they took it out.

You were obviously someone who was not capable of performing any of the advanced techniques.... have fun rolling and spot dodging.
OK, now was this little comment nessecary? Now you're trying to attack me personally, instead of debating? WRONG.

And yes, I was and still am able to Wave-Dash and L-Cancel, etc., in Melee. I entered some tournaments, and won a couple, but now I stopped.

Samochan

Smash Master
OK, you proved it's not a glitch, yet it remains something that was not intended, so it still should not be a big deal to take it out. It's like the Black Hole Glitch. Although fun, it wasn't intended, so they took it out.
If not exacly intended or foreseen, it was definitely welcomed. Sakurai said it himself on an interview that they left wavedash in after they found it when melee was being tested. And L-canceling was intentionally added, just modifyed from the z-canceling on ssb64.

Miharu

Smash Hero

OK, now was this little comment nessecary? Now you're trying to attack me personally, instead of debating? WRONG.

And yes, I was and still am able to Wave-Dash and L-Cancel, etc., in Melee. I entered some tournaments, and won a couple, but now I stopped.
I wouldn't mind attacking you personally. An argument is only as good as the mind behind it.

ie, in this case, both are rather worthless. Please don't come here spouting gibberish about "personal attacks" when you can't even present a series of valid points that are worth debating.

Also, the Black Hole glitch was just for ****s and giggles; it had 0 impact on competitive play. Nice irrelevant point, though.

Anyways, on to your earlier, ****tier argument.

Wavedashing and L-Cancelling was never meant to be put in Melee and were found in as a "glitch" I guess you could call it. Some of you might say Melee was better competitively. I have to agree with you on that, mostly because they took out Wavedashing and L-Cancelling out of Brawl. This proves my next point.
This doesn't prove jack ****.

I AM GLAD THEY TOOK OUT WAVEDASHING AND L-CANCELLING OUT OF BRAWL. Why? Because they were never meant to be in Brawl, so it should do little taking it out of the game, and if you really are as competitive and good as most people say, you should win without them, right?
Actually, wavedashing/lcancelling were more or less integral to the metagame. L-cancelling simply allowed the game to move a faster pace, and wavedashing combined with various other techniques allowed for more extensive combos, better edgeguarding, etc.

It's not a matter of winning/losing with or without wavedashing/l-cancelling; it's about what they brought to the game of smash as a whole.

Again, don't even bother whining about personal attacks being made against yourself when you knowingly back some ******** joke of an argument.

By the way, winning tournaments against complete scrubs at your local game store amounts to just about nothing. In other words, nobody gives a **** about how many tournaments you've won unless you happened to beat some notables/decent players at them. Which you didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom