• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When did you realise you didn't like Brawl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
I had a feeling it was gonna suck when I saw sonic update. The thing is I was looking forward to the game and sonic appearance but as soon as he appeared.... It just didnt feel right and then I felt it was gonna suck. Then when I saw the demo of how it looked online..... IT SUCKED.

Zodiac

Smash Master
After I played and tried to develop a Meta game for it..tried... yea thats when I was like... eff this, im going back to melee. believe it or not I talked to a few guys a week ago that were really good with smash 64 and thought that melee sucked.. go figure? I think just about everyone likes melee and 64,

Geist

Smash Master
Well it isn't so much as brawl sucks straight forward, it's that melee was virtually perfect. When in comparison, it makes brawl look like garbage.
Of course, Brawl is fun, but to a small extent. I have never pulled an all nighter of brawl without saying "OK I feel like playing melee now."

I think when I realised melee was superior is when I was asked to join a tournament (for money) I thought about it, and realised... wow, this game sucks competitively.

I don't even own brawl, so that tells you how little I seriously care.

DragonBlade

Smash Journeyman
I have a couple friends who are pretty good at Melee and usually overly pessimistic about everything. They were complaining since the footage of the original trailer and continued with every bit of news, always exaggerating, or so we thought, the negative effect it could have on the game. The sad part is, even with their extreme pessimism, the game managed to be worse than they expected, and they were vastly disappointed. How can you disappoint one who has no expectations? Sakurai's mind is clearly far above our level of thinking.

Personally, I thought it was over after the auto recovery and final smashes. At that point it looked liked the development forgot the core principles that made Melee good. All the effort and resources in the world cannot save one that abandons the roots of his success. Especially when you have nothing else to stand on, except hype, I suppose. Brawl seems to have more than I thought it would, but that will only last so long.

otg

Smash Master
I don't think Brawl sucks, it just doesn't have the effect Melee has no me. When I play Melee, I constantly see areas and things that I can learn and improve my gameplay. Brawl is too cut and dry my tastes and I feel like I peaked too early.

I stopped playing Brawl competitively in February, but still played with 4 people, all stages, items on, etc. Even now on the rare occasion I do play Brawl, I can go even and beat people who play the game on a daily basis.

IMO, the only way to play Brawl is to commit DDDicide every stock.

Falco (MOP)

Smash Journeyman
I had very low expectations as it was, seeing Gimpy's eval. and just seeing sonic was disappointing. I like sonic, but not a nintendo licensed sonic. Then I played the game, and chose Falco, expecting typical speed and weight, but LIKE EVERYONE ELSE, HE WAS THIS FLOATY WEAK PSEUDO FALCO. I saw Fox FLOAT like Peach did in Melee. I was so disappointed. Brawl took away Speed, Accuracy, Skill, Technique, Precision, Competitiveness, and most of all FUN, oh and combos... I am a die hard melee fan, all the way, and always will be. Don't get me wrong, using the painfully and blatantly overpowered Pit can be fun every once in a while, but the way they massacred Fox, Falco, and JIGGLYPUFF, and just about half of the other characters is just disgraceful. ( However, I was extremely pleased to see how much Game & Watch kicked as$, I love G&W)

Hope you like my input ^^

--MOP

PCHU

Smash Lord
I thought Sakurai was a good man...
Until he nerfed Jiggz.
Then, I knew that Brawl wasn't going to be that great.

Jiggz rocked in Melee.
And I can't even play Jiggz right.
It must be the green bandanna.
Like Ike's.
And everyone knows that we LIke.

Edit-
400th post, W00t to the extreme

bentrav

Smash Rookie
I was honestly pretty hyped for brawl, but then I saw some clips on youtube.
I was still hopeful, and bought brawl soon after it came out. After a few hours of play i went back to melee.
Brawl is still fun, just vastly inferior to melee.

Artery_Clogger

Smash Apprentice
As soon as I read Synikal's Brawl impressions thread, I knew it would be terrible. Then I played the Japanese version a few days later and big surprise, it was awful.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
It took me about a week of playing. I realized that I hadn't found any combos yet after playing for so long. Then I looked online and the best people were Chaingrabbing with DeDeDe. I tried it, and did it succesfully on my first try. I was like "WTF? What were they thinking, making something like DeDeDe's chaingrab, something so extremely broken and easy to perform?" Then I realized that the developers had obviously made brawl sucky for competitive play on purpose.

I don't think Brawl sucks at all, there's much more to look forward too than in Melee.
Like what? In melee you have insane combos an technical skill to look forward to. In brawl you get to look forward to long and tedious camping matches where you get screwed over in the end by tripping.

Pengie

Smash Lord
After a couple of weeks after buying the game I was looking through my favorites on youtube and I watched This. I immediately dropped Brawl and started to play Melee again, even if it was with computers.

Fenrir

Smash Ace
NNID
FenrirW0lf
3DS FC
3523-2051-9785
I don't think Brawl sucks, it just doesn't have the effect Melee has no me. When I play Melee, I constantly see areas and things that I can learn and improve my gameplay. Brawl is too cut and dry my tastes and I feel like I peaked too early.
That`s about how I feel. I play Brawl and I have fun with it, but I feel like "what you see is what you get." In Melee, I feel like I`m limited only by what my fingers and mind can do (and my main character... Mewtwo all the way!). But in Brawl, my mind quickly outruns the gameplay. That`s why I`ll play Brawl and I`ll have a good time with it, but then I`ll eventually have to switch over to Melee to get my adrenaline/mental/awesome rush. :psycho:

Vts

Smash Champion
when i held my first bi-weekly and then played melee 2x longer lol

the game isnt horrible it just not as good as melee i would only play it if there wasnt a melee ( and not for very long mind you that), but mario cart wii> brawl.

UberBlackCleric

Smash Cadet
I first realized Brawl was a bad competitive game when I played it at home the day it came out >_> But for a while I sort of thought it would at least be a good game to play with my friends as a sort of screw around game. The problem with that was that the day we decided to pop in Melee and do the exact same thing we had MORE fun playing melee(with all items on, random characters, random stages) than we did with Brawl. So I sort of stopped having a reason to play Brawl and I realized that Brawl was just an inferior version of Melee.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
So a character's appearance made you think: "Aww this game is gonna suck. I'm gonna go tell eveyone how much I hate it".

I guess you're also one of the people that think all Brawlers hate Melee players, yet there's a select few of you (I won't name names, but they know who they are) who come to the General Brawl Discussion boards and try your best to show your hate for Brawl.

If you'd give the game a chance instead of quitting on it just because of your first impression on it, I'm sure you'd like it.

Or maybe you don't like to try new things. I dunno.

~rh

Smash Lord
When I got infinited and usmashed as a follow-up. I was like "This **** isn't Marvel! What the ****! This is madness! **** this ****."

:confused:

Grunt

Smash Master

If you'd give the game a chance instead of quitting on it just because of your first impression on it, I'm sure you'd like it.
These people are joking.
I'm sure that they were upset by said first impressions, but im' also sure they actually played it first, and then decided it was crap.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Personally, I have nothing against Brawl. The only complaints that I have are some of the game mechanics.

For one example, I like Melee's handicap system more than Brawl's handicap system.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Melee is a better game, far and away.

Brawl isn't terrible, but it has a lot of room for improvement.

That said, the Melee scene near me is nearly dead now, so I have no option but Brawl, except at the bigger tourneys.

lismore

Smash Cadet
It took me an embarrassingly long time to work it out, but I got there in the end (helped by my best friend and teams partner who saw Brawl's complete inferiority much earlier than I did). Maybe it was just blind optimism: 'There's gotta be something in this game which makes me wanna play it over Melee, surely? There's gotta be some things in this games which make it competitive and fun like Melee is, surely...?'. How very wrong I was *sigh*. Still, we'll always have Melee - a game of near perfection and infinite majesty. LONG LIVE MELEE!

N355

Smash Apprentice
when I first jumped I was like wtf it is like I am underwater. Camping is ridiculous in brawl. Just to prove a point to a friend about some flaws of brawl I camped for about 5 matches with wolf and won every single one. Any noob can do that. . .

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
I have to say that SSBB does not suck (it is fun); it is just an inferior fighting game. It makes me unhappy to think of other fighter game players laughing at Smashers when referring to SSBB, saying, "See, this is what SSB is: a party game." SSBM, the game few people care about anymore, is the only refutation.

I became disillusioned after realizing that no AT could save the physics engine...which meant no combos, a key ingredient. A slow physics engine promotes spam and camping, and that is not fun.

Heh, I still try to improve my SSBM Kirby.

UberBlackCleric

Smash Cadet
Speaking of which, I here the Kirby Match Up Thread might not get an update as soon as hoped as Pink Reaper is apparently in the middle of moving right now.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
The only complaints that tick me off so far is that people think Brawl sucks because their favorite character was nerfed.

By their brilliant logic, Melee should suck as well because certain characters were nerf from their N64 version

~rh

Smash Lord
when I first jumped I was like wtf it is like I am underwater. Camping is ridiculous in brawl. Just to prove a point to a friend about some flaws of brawl I camped for about 5 matches with wolf and won every single one. Any noob can do that. . .
Camping Lucases are so ****ing terrible, it's really insane. I have to deal with one everyday.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
im still eatting my words and saying it doesnt suck for the fun game Smash was made to be.

But i figured it wasnt going to be competitive years ago when they first announced Brawl with a "system overhaul".

ApparentlY NOBODY PICKS UP ON CLUES LIKE THAT. Of course alot of people still dont understand that no smash game was ever made to be competitive in the first place. :|

Fenrir

Smash Ace
NNID
FenrirW0lf
3DS FC
3523-2051-9785
Who cares what it was made to be. Melee is what it is, and Brawl is what it is. Some people say that since SSBB was made to not be competitive, that means that none should be. In that case, does that mean SCIII was made to suck, and therefore that`s how the other ones were supposed to be, too? <_<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom