• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When did you realise you didn't like Brawl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smasher32

Smash Journeyman
Wavedashing and L-Cancelling was never meant to be put in Melee and were found in as a "glitch" I guess you could call it. Some of you might say Melee was better competitively. I have to agree with you on that, mostly because they took out Wavedashing and L-Cancelling out of Brawl. This proves my next point. I AM GLAD THEY TOOK OUT WAVEDASHING AND L-CANCELLING OUT OF BRAWL. Why? Because they were never meant to be in Brawl, so it should do little taking it out of the game, and if you really are as competitive and good as most people say, you should win without them, right?
Ultimate troll comment. Seriously, don't feed the troll.

And besides, it's more than just the removal of these so-called "glitches" that hurt Brawl's competitive ability (I'm looking at you, tripping).

Zodiac

Smash Master
well, In My Opinion, Brawl Doesn't Suck. Why, You Ask? Well:

Wavedashing And L-cancelling Was Never Meant To Be Put In Melee And Were Found In As A "glitch" I Guess You Could Call It. Some Of You Might Say Melee Was Better Competitively. I Have To Agree With You On That, Mostly Because They Took Out Wavedashing And L-cancelling Out Of Brawl. This Proves My Next Point. I Am Glad They Took Out Wavedashing And L-cancelling Out Of Brawl. Why? Because They Were Never Meant To Be In Brawl, So It Should Do Little Taking It Out Of The Game, And If You Really Are As Competitive And Good As Most People Say, You Should Win Without Them, Right?
Omg! They Were Not ****ing Glithces, Your An Idiot A Noob, A Nub, A Newb And A Scrub, Dont Ever Post Here On Smashworld Forums Again Your Polluting The Internet

idontgottaname

Smash Apprentice
this thread says alot about melee enthusiusts. Come on guys. The title screen? the sonic update? no ****ing wavedashing? brawl may or may not be competitive, it is too early to tell. how long after melee was released was wavedashing found? Why is wavedashing such an amazing thing? it may have been important to melee, but why does it need to be for brawl? and wavedashing isnt a glitch, but more a non intended use of the physics engine.

PCHU

Smash Lord
I actually like Brawl.
I can play characters with a lot less effort, and still kick the ever-loving crap out of my opponents.
Whereas with Melee, almost everything has to be canceled or you are punished.
Well, with good players.
With Brawl, it's easy.
I use Marth and Sonic, Fox, Falco, Lucas, and Wolf.
They seem to keep the Melee follow-and-combo spirit.

On Melee, I am insane now.
Not like Perfect Control insane, but skill that seemingly rivals the pros insane.
I still need to get my pillaring and SHLing perfected.
Other than that, I would say that I am 2 notches below pro.
I can't prove it, though.

Anyway, Melee just requires a lot more effort, but that's what makes it fun.
Brawl is more strategy, but that's what makes it fun.
So, I like them both.
GAME SET

Wrath`

Smash Master
L cancling was not a glitch, but technicly speaking wavedashing is, if the left it in during testing it was glitch, they just thought it was fine, think about it,you are tricking the system into thinking your arieal dodge momentum is your ground momentum causing a slide. Any tricking of systems is a glitch in my thoughts, but it did make melee more diverse with a move that can techinacly open up into so much, it is one of thoese many reasons melee is more of competitive game.

Zodiac

Smash Master
i Actually Like Brawl.
I Can Play Characters With A Lot Less Effort, And Still Kick The Ever-loving Crap Out Of My Opponents.
Whereas With Melee, Almost Everything Has To Be Canceled Or You Are Punished.
Well, With Good Players.
With Brawl, It's Easy.
I Use Marth And Sonic, Fox, Falco, Lucas, And Wolf.
They Seem To Keep The Melee Follow-and-combo Spirit.

On Melee, I Am Insane Now.
Not Like Perfect Control Insane, But Skill That Seemingly Rivals The Pros Insane.
I Still Need To Get My Pillaring And Shling Perfected.
Other Than That, I Would Say That I Am 2 Notches Below Pro.
I Can't Prove It, Though.

Anyway, Melee Just Requires A Lot More Effort, But That's What Makes It Fun.
Brawl Is More Strategy, But That's What Makes It Fun.
So, I Like Them Both.
Game Set
Omg!!!!!!!!!!!!! Brawl Does Not Take More Mind Games Period! It Takes Camping And Guessing How Your Opponent Will Counter Camp Or Spam!

gameboii

Smash Cadet
i realized brawl sucked at the digital overload convention in RI, for the first hour melee was being played and i was BY FAR the best player in attendance. then brawl was released that night and i found myself struggling to beat anyone that picked pit.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
WD isn't a glitch btw its a result of the game's physics.

In other words because Melee allowed you to airdodge in a direction WDing had to be a result of that.

I think its because if they didn't you would just fall through platforms if you jumped and airdodged down.

Or something like that. Anyway WDing isn't a glitch.

Miharu

Smash Hero
I actually like Brawl.
I can play characters with a lot less effort, and still kick the ever-loving crap out of my opponents.
Whereas with Melee, almost everything has to be canceled or you are punished.
Well, with good players.
With Brawl, it's easy.
I use Marth and Sonic, Fox, Falco, Lucas, and Wolf.
They seem to keep the Melee follow-and-combo spirit.

On Melee, I am insane now.
Not like Perfect Control insane, but skill that seemingly rivals the pros insane.
I still need to get my pillaring and SHLing perfected.
Other than that, I would say that I am 2 notches below pro.
I can't prove it, though.

Anyway, Melee just requires a lot more effort, but that's what makes it fun.
Brawl is more strategy, but that's what makes it fun.
So, I like them both.
GAME SET
Brawl doesn't take more "strategy." It's just that without the prevalence of "technical" techniques, the underlying "mindgames" are a lot more obvious.

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
WD isn't a glitch btw its a result of the game's physics.

In other words because Melee allowed you to airdodge in a direction WDing had to be a result of that.

I think its because if they didn't you would just fall through platforms if you jumped and airdodged down.

Or something like that. Anyway WDing isn't a glitch.
That pretty much explains it.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
OK, you proved it's not a glitch, yet it remains something that was not intended, so it still should not be a big deal to take it out. It's like the Black Hole Glitch. Although fun, it wasn't intended, so they took it out.
Knew I was right from the beggining so I don't feel like I acheived anything. It was technically intended to be in he game but what it was not intended to be was used how it is. Its not like the black hole glitch because the creators did not know it was in the game.

OK, now was this little comment nessecary? Now you're trying to attack me personally, instead of debating? WRONG.

And yes, I was and still am able to Wave-Dash and L-Cancel, etc., in Melee. I entered some tournaments, and won a couple, but now I stopped.
Tbh it wasn't neccessary but I found it funny so in terms of my selfishness it was neccessary.

Nice lie at the end, tournament mode on the game dont count and neither does inviting your friends round your house and winning.

Habanero Pepper

Smash Apprentice
I stopped giving a **** when I realized ganondorf's supposedly massive genitals were just a cup piece in melee. For that, Sakurai will pay.

Also, if you ever go from playing meta or snake, etc, and just go back to playing melee ganondorf you'll see that even he is faster than the fastest brawl character. Which baffles me to laughter in order to cover up my disgraceful spending of what was supposed to be the best 50 dollars ever.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
How come a lot of brawl people think that the people who like melee dislike brawl because L-canceling and Wavedashing is gone?

It might have slowed down my learning a bit because I was so used to it but I mean really? You think we don't like brawl because we can't slide on the ground and L-cancel everywhere?

Diddy's dash attack has so little lag that doing it ONTO a shield in a game where shield stun is nearly NON-existant is an okay tactic.

Do you understand that? Because I know I don't.

How about MK? His Up-b is so ridiculous not only is it a KO move in the beginning of the attack its also a KO move at the END of the attack. And if you land with it you can auto-cancel it into an unbelievably fast d-smash.

Now there is also about the combo system. Its not there. Yea that sucks.

Also about skill in recovering. Not there. Yea sucks too. I was playing my friend in brawl and its so easy to recover in brawl that I stage spiked my friend and got on the stage thinking he was dead. Well he wasn't and it took nearly 0 skill to come back.

About good approaches. They are there but they are pretty scarce.

Don't get me wrong I actually like brawl just its not tourney worthy. Melee is far more tourney worthy and exciting. I have still yet to watch an exciting brawl match. My friends told me to stop searching for non-existent things.

fresh_meat

Smash Rookie
when i was proceeding to combo someone, they Naird me, i was like... lol wut... LOL WUT!?!?

the lack of hit stun saddens me

LoyalSoldier

Smash Apprentice
I agree that Melee was better for Tournaments, but at the same time people give Brawl a bad rap because they got so use to Melee for so long. If Brawl came out before Melee I bet most of these complaints would not be founded.

Ok so you like Melee better, then go play it and have fun. It isn't like the Smash Police are going to arrest you if you do. People who like Brawl play brawl, those who like Melee play Melee, and those who like both play both! I mean we can debate till our faces are blue about which one is better, but in the end they are a video game not a presidential elections. Play what you enjoy!

Miharu

Smash Hero
I agree that Melee was better for Tournaments, but at the same time people give Brawl a bad rap because they got so use to Melee for so long. If Brawl came out before Melee I bet most of these complaints would not be founded.

Ok so you like Melee better, then go play it and have fun. It isn't like the Smash Police are going to arrest you if you do. People who like Brawl play brawl, those who like Melee play Melee, and those who like both play both! I mean we can debate till our faces are blue about which one is better, but in the end they are a video game not a presidential elections. Play what you enjoy!
That's fine, but don't brush off these discussions about Brawl/Melee as trivial because they're "just video games."

The forums exist in part just for these kinds of debates to take place. Also, don't be so quick to say that Brawl was disliked only because it came after Melee; I'm quite sure that even IF Brawl preceded Melee (or if Melee didn't exist for that matter), it still wouldn't be regarded as anything close to what Melee was. A competitively inferior is judged to be so based on its own merits; those flaws are just made to be more obvious because it came Melee.

In short, there still would be a multitude of complaints about Brawl's various problems even if Melee didn't precede it.

okiyama

Smash Ace
L cancling was not a glitch, but technicly speaking wavedashing is, if the left it in during testing it was glitch, they just thought it was fine, think about it,you are tricking the system into thinking your arieal dodge momentum is your ground momentum causing a slide. Any tricking of systems is a glitch in my thoughts, but it did make melee more diverse with a move that can techinacly open up into so much, it is one of thoese many reasons melee is more of competitive game.
The thing about saying that it was overlooked in testing is that you have no idea if it was or wasn't. As far as we know wavedashing was 100% intended, as much as running, we weren't there to test it so we can't make assumptions. Then again that is your definition of a glitch which I'm sure many people would disagree with.

Personally I believe that it's not the fault of the programmers but the physics engine for having such an odd idea of what to do with momentum that's sudden, or built up. Best example is the thing you can do with teh koopas in adventure mode on very hard. The game assumes that although you hit a wall and logically should stop the data still says that you have momentum and it slows down at a programmed pace.

I can't remember their names but I played (in double elimination brackets) a very very spammy, campy wolf followed by an even worse ROB. I lost both games and decided that competetive Brawl is 100% dead to me, playing matches are no longer to win for me, sometimes in brackets I'll just taunt for an entire match because I don't care if I win at all.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend

You chat ****.... this thread isn't made to debate, when I look at the title it says 'When did you realise you didn't like brawl' not 'Why is melee better then brawl' so dont come here with that debating talk please. The people who play brawl play brawl.... we don't stop them, we just don't join them. But we do turn to a debate when people come in here talking about that brawl is a good game when it isn't and it is a FACT it isn't, not an opinion, a fact. no1 can prove me wrong:mad:.
ummmm of course people wouldnt be complaining of brawl came out before melee, if it did it would have defintely not been as popular as melee was and it would have been the ultimate upgrade...making Sakurai the hero of the century... but right now he should be fired.

LoyalSoldier

Smash Apprentice
That's fine, but don't brush off these discussions about Brawl/Melee as trivial because they're "just video games."

The forums exist in part just for these kinds of debates to take place. Also, don't be so quick to say that Brawl was disliked only because it came after Melee; I'm quite sure that even IF Brawl preceded Melee (or if Melee didn't exist for that matter), it still wouldn't be regarded as anything close to what Melee was. A competitively inferior is judged to be so based on its own merits; those flaws are just made to be more obvious because it came Melee.

In short, there still would be a multitude of complaints about Brawl's various problems even if Melee didn't precede it.
However some of the problems attributed to Brawl was because of something that was previously in Melee. Things like tripping or other things like that would still be talked about no doubt. Though things like the way characters seem "floaty" I think would have less of an impact if Melee was never made.

You chat ****....
Thank you for proving your intelligence level.

this thread isn't made to debate, when I look at the title it says 'When did you realise you didn't like brawl' not 'Why is melee better then brawl' so dont come here with that debating talk please.
Hate to tell you, but if you create a thread on a forum with a lot of Brawl lovers stating that you don't like Brawl, then don't expect to have your own little isolated thread. I also did not state much in the way why one game was better I said play what you like.

The people who play brawl play brawl.... we don't stop them, we just don't join them. But we do turn to a debate when people come in here talking about that brawl is a good game when it isn't and it is a FACT it isn't, not an opinion, a fact.
Yes it is such a horrible game that anyone who hasn't spent the last 8 years playing nothing except Melee seems to love it.........

Sorry, but it is your opinion. Nothing more.

no1 can prove me wrong:mad:. ummmm of course people wouldnt be complaining of brawl came out before melee, if it did it would have defintely not been as popular as melee was and it would have been the ultimate upgrade...making Sakurai the hero of the century... but right now he should be fired.
I am not even going to reply to this part of this dribble.

mezbomber

Smash Journeyman
NOTE: I'M NOT TRYING TO CHANGE ANYBODY'S OPINIONS. I'm just stating my own.

I realized I didn't like Brawl only a few weeks ago. Someone posted a link to a vid of a "really, crazy intense" Brawl match. I even saw comments afterwards of people who seemed to be quite impressed with the vids. When I saw the vids, it was nothing more than some guy who was good at chain-grabbing beating a guy who sucked at DI. I thought, "is this what the brawl metagame has come down to? Who can be the best chain-grabber?"

to be fair, I don't think that as the ultimate achievement of the brawl metagame thus far... but the more Brawl vids I watched, the more frustrated I became.

before I go on, I should state that I have been playing Brawl quite religiously since the japanese release. I even joined the ladders on Gamebattles and did fairly decent with snake (not terribly great, but ranked within the top 500). Out of curiosity, I put Melee in a few weeks ago...OMG!! I now remember how great a combo can feel.

Brawl can be fun to play, but I feel very personally hurt by it now. When I think of all the hope I invested in it (my own fault, I know), I just wanted it to be so great, and it let me down. Not to mention, how much playing Brawl has crippled my Melee abilities. I feel like an accident victim re-learning how to walk.

I will most likely continue to keep tabs on the Brawl metagame. While I don't have very much faith in it, I do recognize that there is some potential for development. But until I see anything remotely impressive, Brawl is going to sit on my shelf collecting dust for years to come.

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
in competitive smash, which this entire site is based upon:
melee > brawl.
there's no way for Brawlers to get around it.

balanced =/= better competition.
skillful gameplay = better competition.

it's not opinion, it is fact.

if you want to argue that Brawl is a better all-around game, you will win.
if you want to argue that Brawl is a better skill game, you will fail.

i really don't see much else to debate about.

i'm just hoping Brawl gameplay might SOMEHOW evolve into something good, something other than MK and Snake.

S.R. XXVII

Smash Ace
I realized Brawl sucked (for me anyway) when I went to my first Brawl tourney on Saturday. I got chaingrabbed by ICs, chaingrabbed by DDD, chaingrabbed by Falco, and then camped by Fox and Snake. And least when I was camped by a Falco in Melee, I could powershield to disrupt his flow, and find a way in. The only fun part about Brawl for me is picking Ike and Snake, and being able to play me far away family and friends online.

-Big_-Blue 9

Smash Journeyman
Since the first weeek, I realized
that the gameplay was stripped of its glory from melee

I dont give a **** how much characters or stages there are

if the gameplay sucks *** then the characters just as equally

The only thing thats good from brawl is the music, no one really argues with that- and yet they screwed it some too

I didnt expect it to be GOTY
but I just wish they could keep the trend going.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
When I realized that the appeal for the game was more to causals and the stupid "everyone is a winner" quote from Failurai.

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
When I realized that the appeal for the game was more to causals and the stupid "everyone is a winner" quote from Failurai.
Imo that seems to be the direction that most videogame franchises are going... :[
examples: Halo3, Street Fighter4

Skill is taking a backseat to"fairness".

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Thank you for proving your intelligence level.
The thanks is all mine. Only a real idiot could sum up the intelligence level of a person with a 3 word reply.

Hate to tell you, but if you create a thread on a forum with a lot of Brawl lovers stating that you don't like Brawl, then don't expect to have your own little isolated thread. I also did not state much in the way why one game was better I said play what you like.
Thanks for stating the obvious for those who don't understand. But if you still go back and read what I said, it clearly states (well clearly to those who are smart) that debating is not the main purpose of this thread, it doesn't state that the thread will not go off topic.

Yes it is such a horrible game that anyone who hasn't spent the last 8 years playing nothing except Melee seems to love it.........

Sorry, but it is your opinion. Nothing more.
Thanks for agreeing it is a fact.

I am not even going to reply to this part of this dribble.
But somehow it still ended up quoted with a reply underneath it.

LoyalSoldier

Smash Apprentice
The thanks is all mine. Only a real idiot could sum up the intelligence level of a person with a 3 word reply.
I missed where "Thank you for proving your intelligence level." is 3 words......

Any rate it was the fact you started your post with an insult.

Thanks for stating the obvious for those who don't understand. But if you still go back and read what I said, it clearly states (well clearly to those who are smart) that debating is not the main purpose of this thread, it doesn't state that the thread will not go off topic.
That is the funny part for someone who doesn't want a debate you sure as hell started one now didn't you? I mean you posted using insults and started bashing brawl.

Like I said before I never said why one game was better.

Thanks for agreeing it is a fact.

But somehow it still ended up quoted with a reply underneath it.
Only because I bothered to reply to the rest of the post.

That section of your post alone is enough to show me you can't be reasoned with. So I won't bother replying to your nonsense any more.

Peck

Smash Apprentice
Melee is the same as brawl for me-you cant 'continure' in all star in melee but you can in brawl.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
I missed where "Thank you for proving your intelligence level." is 3 words......

Any rate it was the fact you started your post with an insult.
....Is this what i'm arguing with loool... Go back and see what you quoted yourself and maybe you will be smart enough to see what i'm talking about lol.

That is the funny part for someone who doesn't want a debate you sure as hell started one now didn't you? I mean you posted using insults and started bashing brawl.
I didn't say I wouldnt debate, I said its not the main purpose of the thread, called it being a hypocrite :)... but I insulted other who came in here and chat rubbish.

That section of your post alone is enough to show me you can't be reasoned with. So I won't bother replying to your nonsense any more.
Thanks for letting me know I won, bye x x x.

LoyalSoldier

Smash Apprentice
....Is this what i'm arguing with loool... Go back and see what you quoted yourself and maybe you will be smart enough to see what i'm talking about lol.
If the first three words of your post is an insult that is more than enough.

I didn't say I wouldnt debate, I said its not the main purpose of the thread, called it being a hypocrite :)....
The bottom line is if you didn't want a debate in this thread (which it is kind of funny how we have hardly even talked about the game since you are more content getting into a pissing match) then don't start one! It takes two to tango.

but I insulted other who came in here and chat rubbish.
And? Is that suppose to make it ok?

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
If the first three words of your post is an insult that is more than enough.
Which brings me back to my earlier point stating what type of people some up intelligence in 3 words.

The bottom line is if you didn't want a debate in this thread (which it is kind of funny how we have hardly even talked about the game since you are more content getting into a pissing match) then don't start one! It takes two to tango.
Ok. Bye then. I thought you were leaving before and not going to reply loool, i'm happy to see I am getting under your skin and accomplishing my mission under my sig. Its funny how your still gonna comeback to this thread in a predictable manner and carry on and let me know I am winning.

And? Is that suppose to make it ok?
No it doesn't, but it puts them straight.

I would say goodbye but your gonna comeback showing me that this is annoying you:).

LoyalSoldier

Smash Apprentice
Which brings me back to my earlier point stating what type of people some up intelligence in 3 words.

Ok. Bye then. I thought you were leaving before and not going to reply loool, i'm happy to see I am getting under your skin and accomplishing my mission under my sig. Its funny how your still gonna comeback to this thread in a predictable manner and carry on and let me know I am winning.

No it doesn't, but it puts them straight.

I would say goodbye but your gonna comeback showing me that this is annoying you:).
I like cheese.

Miharu

Smash Hero
I like cheese.
If you really were the "bigger man," it wouldn't be too hard to resist responding to the above flamebait, would it?

LoyalSoldier said:
Good job destroying the little credibility that you had.

LoyalSoldier

Smash Apprentice
If you really were the "bigger man," it wouldn't be too hard to resist responding to the above flamebait, would it?

Good job destroying the little credibility that you had.
I just like seeing how far he will go. I actually deal with worse posters on a different board.

Talk to me with reason and you will get reason in response. Talk to me in the way he has and I give you junk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom